• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump energizes the anti-vaccine movement in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo C.

Herd immunity. The life of many, many people depends on herd immunity, and these idiots are the weakest part of it. I can't repeat enough that even responsible and vaccinated adults and their kids are in danger because of these idiots.

Platy

What REALLY pisses me of is that their selling point is "vaccines cause autism"

I mean ... AWESOME ! I rather my children to have autism than DIE

mike6467

Is there anything that can convince them? Aside from massive outbreaks of disease? They don't believe existing science, and I think they'll dismiss any studies done now.

None of this makes sense. Nobody benefits from this. Except politicians trying to gain favor I guess? It makes zero sense otherwise.

Wilsongt

At this point, if mumps, measels, and whooping cough outbreaks haven't shown these parents they are idiots, I guess it's going to take a polio outbreak.

johnny956

They'll have to learn the hard way - like a climate denier, their brains have hit that point where they cannot be reasoned. They'll just keep peddling the same nonsense counterpoints until someone close to them is impacted or they discover they are wrong for themselves one miracle day.

Even scarier is that this is essentially the start of a movement towards ignorance and acceptance that science can be wrong if enough people are loud enough, despite actual facts to the contrary.

The problem is it even affects those who do vaccinate their children. With herd immunity and it'll make outbreaks more frequent as all vaccines aren't 100% effective. Thankfully our pediatrician just told all his patients that you have to follow the vaccination schedule or find another doctor.

Korgill

I wonder how those parents apart of a measles outbreak are feeling. Did they learn a damn thing?

It should be mandatory at this point.

There has been more then one family to hit the news that went from anti-vaccine to pro requirement after losing a child to these diseases. Ignorance is bliss until it hits home.

mackattk

Herd immunity. The life of many, many people depends on herd immunity, and these idiots are the weakest part of it. I can't repeat enough that even responsible and vaccinated adults and their kids are in danger because of these idiots.

The lives of a substantially large part of the population rely on herd immunity.. If one of these viruses/diseases mutates it could be really bad news.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Let the diseases thrive I guess. They have more intelligence and a sense of self preservation than their host organisms at this point so why not. Survival of the "not a moronic cunt".

OrionX

What REALLY pisses me of is that their selling point is "vaccines cause autism"

I mean ... AWESOME ! I rather my children to have autism than DIE

I understand the point you were trying to make, but there's nothing "awesome" about autism. It's not "awesome" for the person who has it or for the families that live with it every day. I wouldn't wish my brother's autism on anyone. I'm not anti-vaccine, since there doesn't seem to be any evidence that vaccines do cause autism, but if there was, I damn sure would feel differently.

Platy

I meant awesome more in a whatever way .... saying something that saves lifes has a small chance of giving something that will not insta kill your children is NOT a reason to stop saving lives !

Iksenpets

Banned
Everything bad is happening because no one is left alive who really remembers how bad the world used to be. Disease and democracy and openness are all just abstract concepts to these people that they're willing to throw away over the slightest concern.

well of course, what negative thing doesn't he energize?

the man is twisted beyond belief. America has a fucking anti-vaxxer as the PRESIDENT.. unfathomable. unacceptable really.

I wonder how those parents apart of a measles outbreak are feeling. Did they learn a damn thing?

It should be mandatory at this point.

It seems like you're fortunate enough to not have to associate with anti-vaxers. Lucky you.

If you talk to them, you will learn that not only do vaccines cause autism, not only are they ineffective at preventing the illnesses they were designed for, but they are directly responsible for the recent outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases.

Just like what we saw with "fake news"; if you ever get caught red-handed looking stupid, just scream "No, you!" at the top of your lungs over and over.

Garlador

It's truly baffling to me just how anti-science, anti-medicine, and anti-fact not only Trump is, to a historic degrees, but to all his followers as well.

Vaccines cause autism. Climate change is a Chinese hoax. The news is fake. Russia is our friend. Three million people voted illegally. Crime rates have gone up. Never forget the tragedies of Bowling Green and Sweden.

We are in the straights of a powerful wave of anti-intellectualism.

But it's best to remember, Trump is the symptom of this, not the root of the problem. He's just the perfect president for a lot of very dumb, very ignorant, and very self-centered people.

Fuck! I hate these people and what the fucking bell-end in the WH is doing. When all this is done with he'll be one of the most hated presidents of all time.

Garlador

Darwinism dictates that these people will be wiped out because of the lack of vaccines right?

Except that allowing the viruses to exist gives them a chance to mutate, grow stronger, and make CURRENT vaccines ineffective.

So not only are they putting their own dumb lives in jeopardy, we all may pay the price eventually should a strain of viruses mutate or grow resilient enough.

Lets say it's true... i rather have autism than any of those diseases the vaccine stops.

Right? These people would rather have a dead kid than an autistic one.

Except that allowing the viruses to exist gives them a chance to mutate, grow stronger, and make CURRENT vaccines ineffective.

So not only are they putting their own dumb lives in jeopardy, we all may pay the price eventually should a strain of viruses mutate or grow resilient enough.

And this. Your children won't be safe even if you vaccinate them.

The lives of a substantially large part of the population rely on herd immunity.. If one of these viruses/diseases mutates it could be really bad news.

So you're unaware that herd immunity is a man-made government propaganda myth designed to indoctrinate parents, allowing the Illuminati to inject mysterious poisons directly into our children?

Really need to do your research, bub.

The mental gymnastics these people play. You want the right to choose but you would think give a woman the right to choose to get an abortion. You care more about aborted fetuses than your own damn kid's well being. Am I missing something here? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

OrionX

I meant awesome more in a whatever way .... saying something that saves lifes has a small chance of giving something that will not insta kill your children is NOT a reason to stop saving lives !

I guess I got a bit triggered. It just bugs me when people treat autism like it's not a big deal, since it's had such a huge affect on my family.

LakeEarth

Being pro-life only applies to the unborn, I guess.

That's par for the course. You must have this unwanted baby, but we won't increase funding to the foster care system. It's a mental health issue not a gun issue, but we won't increase funding to mental health programs. And so on and so on...

Hrmm.

alt-facts and conspiracy theories that has people thinking they're smarter than everyone else is only going to get worse.

Lies, conspiracy theories, and narcissists are nothing new.

Yet I am disturbed by the lack of critical thinking within our society.

Next 4 years:
6c6131c419d41f7db46f135223a8796c.jpg

Peterpan

As someone living outside the USA, why is there even an anti-vaccine movement? Is it mandatory in America?

Why not leave that choice to the people, I'm so confused.

Zoe

With GAF being so anti-Trump you'd think this thread would push everyone to get vaccinated, but some of the responses in the baby thread sure suggest otherwise.

Garlador

As someone living outside the USA, why is there even an anti-vaccine movement? Is it mandatory in America?

Why not leave that choice to the people, I'm so confused.

They still have a choice, but the facts BEHIND the choice are outright lies and fabrications and discredited reports.

So a parent that hears from a friend that "vaccines cause autism" can make a "choice", but one based on faulty information that is spreading like wildfire.

Not sure why US pediatricians are all up in arms about anti-vaccination. Taking care of sicker patients always pays more, which would definitely help the lowest-paid specialty in this profession.

Zoe

Not sure why US pediatricians are all up in arms about anti-vaccination. Taking care of sicker patients always pays more, which would definitely help the lowest-paid specialty in this profession.
Living patients will bring in more profit than dead ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom