• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump & Hillary Clinton gender swapped by NYU professors. Are surprised by results

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2025

Clinton performed very poorly in the debates and that had nothing to do with her gender. She struggled with her messaging throughout the campaign and it is not surprising that divorced from the actual performance aspect of the debates, this messaging was ineffective. Hand-waving a "flawed experiment" away is bizarre.

What you call "bizarre" has been the scientific standard for a century. The experiment is categorically worthless.

We also have a name for the phenomenon of people latching on to anything that confirms their priors, by the way.

Fuchsdh

I think their performance is instructive as a possibility in breaking down the simplistic narratives that "Hillary lost because she was a woman", although the fact that it's not actually structured like an experiment makes its actual demonstrative impact pretty weak. Seems like this would be a great springboard for a more rigorous and blind test with other historic figures.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I think their performance is instructive as a possibility in breaking down the simplistic narratives that "Hillary lost because she was a woman", although the fact that it's not actually structured like an experiment makes its actual demonstrative impact pretty weak. Seems like this would be a great springboard for a more rigorous and blind test with other historic figures.
Indeed. Although another confounding factor is establishing objective metrics for judging how faithfully the actors recreated the original performance.

Cocaloch

Again, the experiment is in no way valid. It's an anecdote to how certain people react to a gender-swapped version of something they've already seen without proper sampling, and that's all.

It's not scientific, that doesn't mean it doesn't have value unless you want to deny that Humanities get at any truth whatsoever. Besides the bigger issue is the sample. The people that watched the performance are particularly non-representative and probably have a vastly different understanding of gender than most Americans.

On the grand stage I wonder who America would vote for. Despite the results of this experiment I put money on the guy.

Amerians voted for the woman in real life so that makes sense. I get what you are saying though and think that's somewhat relevant.

I think the bigger aspect that is missing here is how gender affected the subjectivity of both Trump and Clinton. Both would have almost certainly acted and spoken differently if they were of the opposite gender. That's the biggest single problem of genders. That's why a simple gender swap doesn't work, gender is both external and internal.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Color me...skeptical. I probably buy that if Clinton was a guy she would still seem stiff, but just because this audience was moved by a female Trump doesn't mean anything about how the audience that actually voted for Trump would react to such an outspoken, brash woman

dramatis

To be quite frank, I don't think this is how you can evaluate it.

It would be bizarre to look only at the debates in isolation without the context of everything else, including Hillary Clinton's life and long struggle with public perception. Moreover, in the end, even though they are actors and are performing, the nature of Trump and of Hillary are tied too closely to them as persons rather than as performances.

Inevitably I think this will be used as an argument for why "Hillary Clinton sucks" per usual—as evidenced in this thread. People love having excuses for why "it's not sexism".

hodgy100

The woman feels like she is punching up.

This makes sense with middle white america feeling like they have been stepped on by the establishment.

:/

wildfire

Banned
Donnie Dipshit has little starpower and no charisma.

Anyone who says Trump has zero charisma was most likely blindsided about Trump's chance winning the primary. He displayed charisma while inflaming white people against non-whites. There has always existed a line where someone with charisma can cross into douchebag territory.

For Democrats he easily crossed into douchebag territory but if you paid any attention to Republican politics you could figure out why he had appeal and was attractive enough to become the populist candidate.

I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton because of her magical 12-dimensional humming techniques, I voted for her because of her policies and experience and because Donald Trump is a living, breathing pile of shit.

I would like to believe that even the people in this audience who looked at Brenda King and thought, "Oh, I see what people liked about her" still have the intelligence to not be sucked into mindless garbage and vote for the objectively better candidate.

Neoweee

No

She lost because she was boring she had 0 charisma. Meanwhile Trump has star power and I ridiculous amount of Charisma and had the hook on the whole emails thing and a slogan. Dude was just pumping out slogans and anything to hook his audience. And it worked.

No

She lost because the electoral college gives more power to white people without college degrees that are more than willing to fall for a blowhard that spews a bunch of racist excuses about why the good old days were better.

Kinyou

Does the Trump actress talk faster than Trump? She comes off a lot more assertive than Trump and his weird talking style.

I doubt you could put Trumps words onto anyone elses body and I would suddenly not think that this was the dumbest fucking person to ever run for President.

Clinton performed very poorly in the debates and that had nothing to do with her gender. She struggled with her messaging throughout the campaign and it is not surprising that divorced from the actual performance aspect of the debates, this messaging was ineffective. Hand-waving a "flawed experiment" away is bizarre.

I mean she won every debate and had one of the highest margins of victory cumulatively in recent President election history...

This idea that she sucked in the debates is revisionist history

Color me...skeptical. I probably buy that if Clinton was a guy she would still seem stiff, but just because this audience was moved by a female Trump doesn't mean anything about how the audience that actually voted for Trump would react to such an outspoken, brash woman

Clinton also wouldn't have been treated with such kid gloves during the primary if she was a man. You saw it during the debates, Sanders asking her to stop interrupting him was met with a Twitter clusterF about how he is somehow a sexism dirtbag, and then 40 articles the next day echoing those statements from the expected sources.

Also her entire career would have had a different trajectory if she was a man (for better or for worse).

I mean she won every debate and hide one of the highest margins of victory cumulatively in recent President election history...

There's a difference between

A. Looking great compared to a flaming Dumpster that was Trump.

B. Actually not sucking in the debates.

She was Jeb Bush level in the debates.

Cocaloch

Interesting but doesn't seem very scientific.

It isn't scientific. Things not being scientific is not necessarily a problem. This is an issue that science simply cannot get at after all.

Besides the fact that using revisionist history as an insult is both vapid and extremely problematic I think you'll find there is no received narrative of the election yet to revise.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've never looked much into it, but I pretty much believe likability/charisma is the only thing that matters in American politics. We lucked out with Obama in that his policies were ok, but remember we elected Dubya twice too. I always see people trot out facts on GAF as to why Clinton was better. Of course she was, but undecideds just vote on charisma, not policy.
I don't understand how conservatives can say trump has charisma. During the debates, he was saying things like "I'll bet you 50 thousand dollars that blah." If anu Democrat pulled that, they would be forever branded as out of touch, that 50k means nothing to them. He always came off like the asshole bully from school, except he never grew up and apologized for his actions

To me, I just see a bunch of assholes admiring an asshole.

That rehearsal video. Hilary sounds like a fraud while Trump sounds like somebody pressing the phony to be truthful. What is happening.

wildfire

Banned
To be quite frank, I don't think this is how you can evaluate it.

It would be bizarre to look only at the debates in isolation without the context of everything else, including Hillary Clinton's life and long struggle with public perception.

But the point of the experiment wasn't to look at how election itself evolved. It was purposefully meant to look at gender norms within a specific context.

The scope is acceptable.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
No

She lost because the electoral college gives more power to white people without college degrees that are more than willing to fall for a blowhard that spews a bunch of racist excuses about why the good old days were better.

No

If this were the case Obama would have stood no chance.

Since basically Reagan the more "charismatic" candidate has won. Facts and sound policy can only get you so far. Clinton's personality couldn't get her over the top.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Unless I missed something, even though this was technically an academic pursuit, I don't believe anyone involved is claiming that it proves anything definitively or are viewing it as more than a fun experiment that yielded interesting results worth pursuing further. I don't think they are implying this is something worthy of being submitted to peer-reviewed journal or anything.

Voting for a vile, ignorant person like Trump just because he has some minor (at best) charisma going on and he's famous over a highly competent person, who actually has done something to make life better for many US people instead of screwing over the state and his contractors...wow.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton because of her magical 12-dimensional humming techniques, I voted for her because of her policies and experience and because Donald Trump is a living, breathing pile of shit.

I would like to believe that even the people in this audience who looked at Brenda King and thought, "Oh, I see what people liked about her" still have the intelligence to not be sucked into mindless garbage and vote for the objectively better candidate.

I doubt you could put Trumps words onto anyone elses body and I would suddenly not think that this was the dumbest fucking person to ever run for President.

Both of you missed the point. Trump won because the people who voted for him didn't believe his words had to stand up to critical analysis in order for him to be a viable choice to begin with.

Barrage

I don't think this should be taken as any kind of signifier of why Hillary lost (the ultimate in limited sampling), but is interesting to think about.

The gender thing makes more sense when it comes to scandals. Due to America's puritanical attitude toward sexuality, any tape of a Female Trump saying "grab him by the dick" would absolutely destroy her career (because no Republican man would vote for a woman who would emasculate her husband like that).

wildfire

Banned
I mean she won every debate and hide one of the highest margins of victory cumulatively in recent President election history...

You can win the debate without convincing people you were right. Those polls really didn't ask people if you would vote on a candidate based on these results. If they had I would now not be surprised if there was a lot of I don't know, which basically means I want to vote for the loser.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Maybe the fact that a young guy couldn't handle the gravitas and presence of an elder stateswoman, yet a young woman could convincingly pull off the demeanor of Trump proves that Clinton came off better than Trump.

I bet if you do the same experiment with 10 year-olds, child-Trump seems EVEN MORE reasonable than child-Clinton than compared with these 20-somethings. Is that a good thing?

Unless I missed something, even though this was technically an academic pursuit, I don't believe anyone involved is claiming that it proves anything definitively or are viewing it as more than a fun experiment that yielded interesting results worth pursuing further. I don't think they are implying this is something worthy of being submitted to peer-reviewed journal or anything.

It's like theater for academics or something.

No

If this were the case Obama would have stood no chance.

Since basically Reagan the more "charismatic" candidate has won. Facts and sound policy can only get you so far. Clinton's personality couldn't get her over the top.
Obama did really well with non-college whites (in certain strategically important geographic areas anyways)

the double standard is real and sad, bigleague

Irrationality hate towards Clinton was mostly sexism and perceptions that women politicians are opportunists

while men in the same position are percievived just espousing ''strength'' and could get away with murder

which is fucked up

Trump had a rhetorical gift that transcends gender according to the experiment.

hawk2025

It isn't scientific. Things not being scientific is not necessarily a problem. This is an issue that science simply cannot get at after all.

Besides the fact that using revisionist history as an insult is both vapid and extremely problematic I think you'll find there is no received narrative of the election yet to revise.

It most certainly can.

For one, you need:

- a random sample
- assigned at random to the same gender-swapped script
- no additional contamination from previous experience, meaning a Hillary/Trump debate does not provide a proper experiment

This is all very much feasible. Similar studies are done every day in universities.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I don't understand how conservatives can say trump has charisma. During the debates, he was saying things like "I'll bet you 50 thousand dollars that blah." If anu Democrat pulled that, they would be forever branded as out of touch, that 50k means nothing to them. He always came off like the asshole bully from school, except he never grew up and apologized for his actions

To me, I just see a bunch of assholes admiring an asshole.

I mean look at his career up until now. He's a born salesman. He carried a tv show for several seasons, he bounces back in the business world no matter how many times he fucks up, he just won the presidency with 0 qualifications. He's a terrible human being, not particularly intelligent, he just has that scumbag salesman charisma, and thats all it takes.

It is a literal fact that by basically all accountable measures she performed well in the debates and solidly beat him in all of them.

The debates were never the issue, they just didn't end up being enough in the end.

Irrationality hate towards Clinton was mostly sexism and perceptions that women politicians are opportunists

while men in the same position are percievived just espousing ''strength'' and could get away with murder

which is fucked up

So, in other words, faced with issues that were on Clinton's part, you chose to ignore the issues with Clinton and blame it on something else, despite the piece having found the exact opposite, and so not learning at all from the experience.

Fab.

Gaf is not ready for this.

Hillary would have been a competent president but the election has always been a popularity contest. Obama crushed his opponents not because he was seen as the most competent/smartest candidate (even though he was by a big margin) but because he was the most charismatic/likeable.

People seem convinced that Hillary would have easily won if she were a man. I think it's the opposite. She would have lost by a bigger margin.

Nah, Hillary comes off as cold and too ambitious. These are good qualities in men, not in women.

Her gender is an asset, but also still a major detractor. An unlikable female is much worse than an unlikable male.

I understand that Trump has charisma that works on a lot of people, but I don't understand how a person can take one look at him and not be immediately repulsed on a primal, gut level.

Fuchsdh

Indeed. Although another confounding factor is establishing objective metrics for judging how faithfully the actors recreated the original performance.

This is also true. They've done a lot of studies on how seemingly minor verbal or facial tics can impact people's perceptions as well, so it'd be hard to get a "blank slate" of an actor in the first place to be sure that people weren't reacting to something outside their character as well.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I mean look at his career up until now. He's a born salesman. He carried a tv show for several seasons, he bounces back in the business world no matter how many times he fucks up, he just won the presidency with 0 qualifications. He's a terrible human being, not particularly intelligent, he just has that scumbag salesman charisma, and thats all it takes.
Yeah, but the product he was selling was his character and policies, and I don't see the hook.

Both of you missed the point. Trump won because the people who voted for him didn't believe his words had to stand up to critical analysis in order for him to be a viable choice to begin with.

The critical analysis of his words are he is too motherfucking stupid to be President.

No the real problem is that an extremely large amount of Americans are dumber than Trump. They are too motherfucking dumb to be able to see that Trump is too motherfucking dumb to be President. That is where the entirety of the issue begins and ends.

tbm24

My problem with this is if Hillary were a man, the bulk of the shit that was thrown her way wouldn't have. Male Hillary would not have had the baggage. I don't see what this experiment is really suppose to tell me relative to the reality.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The critical analysis of his words are he is too motherfucking stupid to be President.

No the real problem is that an extremely large amount of Americans are dumber than Trump. They are too motherfucking dumb to be able to see that Trump is too motherfucking dumb to be President. That is where the entirety of the issue begins and ends.

We're not saying very different things.

which is fucked up

You may want to re-read the article because it's actually basically stating the opposite of this.

It's really just Trump was a better salesman

Mimosa97

Nah, Hillary comes off as cold and too ambitious. These are good qualities in men, not in women.

Her gender is an asset, but also still a major detractor. An unlikable female is much worse than an unlikable male.

In general yes but I was talking about this election and more specifically about the debates. A man getting attacked the way Trump attacked Hillary and not retaliating or just turning the other cheek " when they go low we go high " would have lost a lot of credibility in the eyes of the voters. He would have looked weak and not " manly " enough. That's the truth.

Plus the cold/stoic approach with 0 charisma doesn't work anymore even for male politicians. Cite me one example since Kennedy. Television ruined every chance of a non-charismatic non-likeable politician of getting elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom