• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump & Hillary Clinton gender swapped by NYU professors. Are surprised by results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
She does a lot better with small crowds and in more personal settings. She's not an orator like her husband or President Obama, but her intelligence and command over the issues always shines though (IMO at least).

Weren't all of her rallies small crowds?

OOOOOOOOOoooooooh that started as a joke but now I'm sad.

evanmisha

Someone please write a pilot for HBO wherein these 2 characters (female Trump and male Clinton) are running for present.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Hillary won the debates though. Trump didn't win the campaign based on his debate performances. He won it by his rallies, word of mouth and absolute mounds of false news/shit being hurled during this election.

It's impossible to make this experiment so close after the election without people knowing what's going on. There will definitely be bias involved in the results. Which debates did they do? The one where they tacked the "grab them by the pussy" one? All of them? Just the first?

APF

Well non-jokingly there was a reason for that. They had the ability to bring in larger crowds but deliberately chose not to. Side-effect of that is, it made it look like she wasn't popular, both in the primaries and in the GE.

JZA

Thanks for posting this, I don't know how I would have come across this otherwise, it was a lot more interesting than the headline implied.

There's a difference between

A. Looking great compared to a flaming Dumpster that was Trump.

B. Actually not sucking in the debates.

She was Jeb Bush level in the debates.
her polling numbers always jumped big league after the debates.

she would be neck and neck with trump. debate. she leaps ahead.

slowly her lead evaporates. debate. big leagues ahead in the polls.

lead diminishes. debate. bigly ahead once again.

so yeah, maybe she sucked, but her performances translated into better polling numbers, unlike Jeb's performances which just ensured he'd be flushed down the toilet like the turd he was and is.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HChzRB8h6LU

Her delivery is honestly faster and more intelligible than Trump's delivery, which is rife with sniffling, butthole lips and pauses so his brain can catch up to his mouth.

The guy adopts Hillary's more feminine mannerisms and cadence more accurately.

I can understand why she would seem more persuasive, because's she's giving a better performance than Trump did.

This is an important thing to point out, a Male Clinton doesn't mean literally Clinton in a male body.... A Male Clinton would not likely have as many feminine mannerisms and cadence... So just one for one being a man imitating Clinton isn't actually giving an accurate portrayal of what a male Clinton would be.

Fuck if anything if people are reacting negatively to a man portraying Clinton in a still feminine way it shows that yes in fact notions of sex and gender do factor in.

Jeremy

YEP YEP YEP

We need someone charismatic. Substance doesn't matter really. In the next election, we need someone young and optimistic, but most of all, likable. Policies aren't anything when you can't get elected to actually promote them.

This may wind up being complete shit but I have a feeling that from here on out we're basically going to see celebrities running for the presidency, backed by teams of political elites that are members from the party they're running under. Celebs will be the faces of the party while the show will be ran from behind the scenes.

wildfire

Banned
Just a reminder: Hillary received ~3,000,000 more votes. We know why she lost and it isn't because she lacked charisma only revealed once gender swapped.

This wasn't about asserting who would win the election.

This was about asserting even with genders swapped Trump's style would be seen as offensive. Now that assertion is being challenged by the results and is deserving of more rigorous testing.

This is an important thing to point out, a Male Clinton doesn't mean literally Clinton in a male body.... A Male Clinton would not likely have as many feminine mannerisms and cadence... So just one for one being a man imitating Clinton isn't actually giving an accurate portrayal of what a male Clinton would be.

Fuck if anything if people are reacting negatively to a man portraying Clinton in a still feminine way it shows that yes in fact notions of sex and gender do factor in.

She selected a male version of herself for VP. Foolishly, I might add.

My problem with this is if Hillary were a man, the bulk of the shit that was thrown her way wouldn't have. Male Hillary would not have had the baggage. I don't see what this experiment is really suppose to tell me relative to the reality.

I actually disagree. With a royal TROLL like Trump on the other side, a Bill Clinton would have quickly gotten the label of Crooked Bill, with the same baggage since the 90's, the same appearance of collusion with special interests, and it would have been all about Bill Clinton, Inc. (and "draining the swamp"). The one twist I could envision is the showdown of the two boys arguing who is the biggest sexual predator.

Steel

Banned
I actually disagree. With a royal TROLL like Trump on the other side, a Bill Clinton would have quickly gotten the label of Crooked Bill, with the same baggage since the 90's, the same appearance of collusion with special interests, and it would have been all about Bill Clinton, Inc. (and "draining the swamp"). The one twist I could envision is the showdown of the two boys arguing who is the biggest sexual predator.

Bill and Hillary are nowhere near the same personality and charisma-wise. Like, not even vaguely comparable.

Mully

She was the better candidate. Americans should have seen that. Instead, a majority of them saw her as a murderer. I'm not joking. I had an hour long debate with my bosses of nearly a decade about whether or not Clinton murdered people on Saturday night. Suffice to say, I told them all, they're crazy, to fuck off, and I quit.

OmegaX

So Donald Trump could have been the first woman president but Hillary could never become president even if she was born a man? I think PoliGAF is not ready to accept this.

Mully

So Donald Trump could have been the first woman president but Hillary could never become president even if she was born a man? I think PoliGAF is not ready to accept this.

It's not that difficult to accept. I work (my full time job, not the part time one I quit.) with a bunch of people who refused to vote for Hillary because they believed that women are not capable of being leaders.

PoliGAF will never accept that Hillary was a weak candidate. Far too many bruised egos...

NO SHIT!? Maybe... go back to high-school US History and re-read Nixon vs JFK? JFK won the televised debates because he was "charismatic" and played well on TV.

Politics has always been a popularity game. Clinton failed to understand that. She couldn't make herself "likable" to a strong part of the base that sunk her.

And the Democrats have a history of doing this. Kerry, Gore, Dukakis, and Mondale as other examples. Republicans are guilty of it also but not as often see Dole and Romney especially but Bush I had run out of the Reagan steam by 1992 and McCain had Palin.

Gallbaro

Banned
This may wind up being complete shit but I have a feeling that from here on out we're basically going to see celebrities running for the presidency, backed by teams of political elites that are members from the party they're running under. Celebs will be the faces of the party while the show will be ran from behind the scenes.
Very hitchhikers guide...

I feel like that Simpsons GIF of Kennedey and Nixon supporting Duff Beer and Homer's comments afterwards sum up the election.

I could have a beer with him!

Fucking ugh.

Aske

Fascinating. I'm so glad that in watching the clip, I hated female Trump and respected male Clinton. The dumbfuck-interrupting was just as awful - but male Clinton did seem more smug than real Clinton. I definitely recognised there were inherent gender biases in my perception; but thankfully nowhere near enough to get in the way of the words.

HotHamBoy

Fascinating. I'm so glad that in watching the clip, I hated female Trump and respected male Clinton. The dumbfuck-interrupting was just as awful - but male Clinton did seem more smug than real Clinton. I definitely recognised there were inherent gender biases in my perception; but thankfully nowhere near enough to get in the way of the words.

I found both unlikeable but I think the smiling and patronizing way Clinton, male and female, would respond to Trump's lunacy was what really made Clinton off-putting, even if it was justifiable. I knew it wouldn't play well for her when watching it live. A more solemn approach to calling him out would have done better.

Yes, the rational-minded can see Trump is a low-blow lunatic, but his supporters didn't and her responses to his dirty plays made her unsympathetic to them.

Except it's also spelled out that a lot of the qualities ascribed to MaleHillary were identified as traditionally female or and that he "seemed gay". It's more complicated than "sexism is fake."

It's not to say that every criticism of Hillary Clinton is sexist. Saying that is stupid. But are you trying to argue that there weren't criticisms of Hillary that were sexist? That would be hard.

I'm certainly not insinuating sexism is fake. I just don't think it's the reason most people disliked Hillary. Certainly there were people that didn't like her because she's a woman and I'm not meaning to downplay that. But I think that there was a huge faction of Hillary supporters who wanted to shout down every criticism of her as sexist and this shuts that down fairly effectively in my view.

Yep, Hillary was terrible in the debates, and this shows it. She came off phony and elitist and couldn't give a straight answer. The female Trump shows that a woman can pull of not smiling all of the time and look strong.

Barrage

And the Democrats have a history of doing this. Kerry, Gore, Dukakis, and Mondale as other examples. Republicans are guilty of it also but not as often see Dole and Romney especially but Bush I had run out of the Reagan steam by 1992 and McCain had Palin.

I agree with the point that Democrats will sometimes underestimate how important charisma is in their candidate, but I think sometimes the field just gets narrowed. In 1988, for example, there wasn't really another option besides Dukakis. Hart and Biden both got slapped by scandal. Jesse Jackson in 1988 wasn't happening.

Th Dems supported Dukakis because he was the most corruption-proof of all the possible candidates.

They didn't learn then, and they didn't learn in 2016: Corruption only matters on the Left Wing.

Yep, Hillary was terrible in the debates, and this shows it. She came off phony and elitist and couldn't give a straight answer. The female Trump shows that a woman can pull of not smiling all of the time and look strong.

She was overwhelmingly deemed the winner if the debates.

And the whole smiling thing is routed in sexism.

Eye opening.

So next election we probably need to run a candidate that can just run on an easy slogan...

DUMP TRUMP

that would actually work i think. Just scream it from the top of his lungs

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Eye opening.

So next election we probably need to run a candidate that can just run on an easy slogan...

DUMP TRUMP

that would actually work i think. Just scream it from the top of his lungs

It rhymes and is simple, which is good for a slogan, but running on the platform of "trump bad!" is not a winning strategy, as we saw during the election, especially without adding a clear message of what the opposition stands for.

My hypothesis is that "dump trump" as the only message is not going to work until at least 60%+ of the voters hate him.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I dont think this effect would exist in your typical Trump voter. Simply because they wouldn't​ be able to show the same feelings for a woman vying for leadership as most of this audience would. The majority of them would still vote for the guy, simple because he is male.

All this shows us is that democrats should put Warren on the ballot next election.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's very interesting but I feel like the audience that would attend this is probably not the best barometer for how Trump voters would have reacted to the same situation.

It rhymes and is simple, which is good for a slogan, but running on the platform of "trump bad!" is not a winning strategy

Except that's basically how Trump won.

Maledict

It's very interesting but I feel like the audience that would attend this is probably not the best barometer for how Trump voters would have reacted to the same situation.

No he didn't.

Whilst they did have a huge amount of Hillary hate, and a number of voters were persuaded to vote for him over her because of Hillary hate, we cannot deny that trump had very simple policies that his base loved that wee nothing to do with Hillary hate.

His campaign slogan was 'Make America Great Again' - that's a message of change towards something positive.

His biggest policy positions were nothing to do with hero- 'Build the wall', 'Muslim ban' etc.

As much as we dislike them, trump did have several policy positions that were incredibly easy to digest, nothing to do with his opponent, and promised to make life better for his voters.

Can you name any of Hillarys in a similar format and easy to understand style? (Don't cheat and go to her webpage!)

kubev

I wouldn't mind seeing the full performance. I can't say that the short clip from the rehearsal really conveyed what it is I think people appreciate about Trump, but I can definitely see how it might've given people a negative perception of Clinton. Male Clinton just came off as really defensive and naive in that particular instance.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Not really. Agree with his policies or not, a large bulk of his time and energy was spent on issues and policy related to doing the job of president, not just attacks on Clinton's character. Well, relative to what Clinton was doing, anyway.

While many would agree that it is a misguided message, it's still a message of balanced positivity and negativity that many people could latch onto for their team. Clinton's campaigning was too lopsided.

netBuff

Hillary won the debates though. Trump didn't win the campaign based on his debate performances. He won it by his rallies, word of mouth and absolute mounds of false news/shit being hurled during this election.

It's impossible to make this experiment so close after the election without people knowing what's going on. There will definitely be bias involved in the results. Which debates did they do? The one where they tacked the "grab them by the pussy" one? All of them? Just the first?

He "won" because the electoral system is garbage.

dakini

There's lots of interesting things to take away from this, but one that sticks out to me the most is how much everyone still has a prejudice against effeminate men. Watching the clip provided in the link, I was watching male Hillary and trying to think why he wasn't coming off well and then it hit me that it was because he was acting feminine.

Whenever we have a gay man run for the presidency, he's going to have to prove his masculinity unlike any other male candidate before him.

Trump is a horrible President and person, but dude was severely underestimated in liberal bubbles.

The intelligence of the voting public is what was over estimated greatly. I assumed Americans were of average intelligence as well, so they fooled me too. He is clearly too stupid to be President. And unfortunately a large portion of Americans are dumber than he is. Too stupid to be able to see that Trump is too stupid to be President.

Nothing else matters. Trump won because a very large portion of Americans are too stupid to see that Trump is clearly too stupid to be President.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The intelligence of the voting public is what was over estimated greatly. I assumed Americans were of average intelligence as well, so they fooled me too. He is clearly too stupid to be President. And unfortunately a large portion of Americans are dumber than he is. Too stupid to be able to see that Trump is too stupid to be President.

Nothing else matters. Trump won because a very large portion of Americans are too stupid to see that Trump is clearly too stupid to be President.

I'm not surprised about the stupidity as much as I'm surprised by how little people care about having a respected president. I guess the 1998 election during the Monica Lewinsky scandal was some proof that people don't really care about affairs or boldfaced lies, and in fact want to punish the side that's wasting time complaining about it, but this was on another level.

Valhelm

contribute something
Just got around to reading this, and wow. I'm glad I did.

It's interesting and surprising that Trump's behavior is more acceptable when performed by a woman. A part of me wonders if this is due to old and sexist conceptions of women as weaker actors than men. When a woman acts like a tough-talking asshole, she's cute and funny, not dangerous.

This shows that Trump's manner can be a pretty alright tactic, especially when paired with such stiff professionalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom