• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump talks like a woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Update: video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSrrpu3zjIY

Update 2: supplemental reading about Hillary Clinton's linguistic analysis by the same researcher - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...inton-talks-more-like-a-man-than-she-used-to/

Update 3: The research paper in question: https://triplejjjones.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/hrc_talk_like_a_man_pop_final.pdf

It's science, folks; can't argue with science. Tremendous science.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/10/trump-feminine-speaking-style-214391

8artCeQ.jpg

But academic research has picked up something that thousands of hours of campaign punditry has missed completely: Donald Trump talks like a woman. He might be preoccupied with grading women’s looks, penis size and “locker room talk,” but the way he speaks and the actual words he uses make for a distinctly feminine style. In fact, his speaking style is more feminine by far than any other candidate in the 2016 cycle, more feminine than any other presidential candidate since 2004.

It’s not just a lazy stereotype that men and women speak differently. In fact, researchers who have sifted through thousands of language samples from men and women have identified clear statistical differences. Some of these differences are exactly what you’d expect—men are more likely to swear and use words that signal aggression, while women are more likely to use tentative language (words like maybe, seems or perhaps) and emotion-laden words (beautiful, despise). But other patterns are far from obvious. For example, contrary to the common stereotype that men can’t resist talking about themselves, women are heavier users than men of the pronoun “I” whereas the reverse is true for the pronoun “we”; women produce more common verbs (are, start, went) and auxiliary verbs (am, don’t, will), while men utter more articles (a, the) and prepositions (to, with, above); women use fewer long words than men when speaking or writing across a broad range of contexts.

Jennifer Jones, a doctoral candidate of political psychology at the University of California at Irvine, has combined these statistics into an index capturing the ratio of “feminine” to “masculine” words, and applied it to the language of 35 political candidates over the past decade.

But Donald Trump is a stunning outlier. His linguistic style is startlingly feminine, so much so that the chasm between Trump and the next most feminine speaker, Ben Carson, is about as great as the difference between Carson and the least feminine candidate, Jim Webb. And Trump earns his ranking not just because he talks a lot about himself or avoids big words (both of which are true); according to Jones, he also shows feminine patterns on the more subtle measures, such as his use of prepositions and articles. The key then is not what Trump talks about—making Mexico pay for the wall or bombing the hell out of ISIL—but rather how he says it.

One of the mistakes that the Democrats made this election cycle was underestimating Trump's oratorical ability. Yes, he does speak simply and repeat himself a lot, but you do remember what he says, don't you? That's the point.

(graph might not look so great under the neogaf dark theme)

So fucking stupid, who the fuck cares about this shit? I remember CNN wasting hours showing shit like this.

Trump this.
Trump that.
Trump Trump.

Woorloog

Banned
Interesting.
Did they have any comparison for others than these politicians? Like well known good speakers and historical political figures?

EDIT seems not... are there statistics for known good speakers etc.?

So fucking stupid, who the fuck cares about this shit? I remember CNN wasting hours showing shit like this.

Trump this.
Trump that.
Trump Trump.

Well, you took time looking at this thread and responding... so maybe you do care?

seat

I think this is relevant because it might start to explain why he won the white female vote. I'm still so baffled by it that I'm ready to read anything that might help me understand why that happened.

RPGCrazied

every time I see his stupid fucking face I still am in shock that he will be our god damn president

Yeah. I'm having a hard time accepting it too. The guy from the apprentice and bankrupting companies is going to lead the free world? Still in shock honestly.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah. I'm having a hard time accepting it too. The guy from the apprentice and bankrupting companies is going to lead the free world? Still in shock honestly.

Yes, I know it's hard to accept, but that's the reality we need to face and work with if we want to maintain any progress in the areas of life we care about.

I will submit to you this idea in the hopes that it might assuage your fears a little - you would grant that you and many other Democrats were living in an information bubble yes? That your information wasn't accurate, or that it was filtered in a way that distorted your reality.

What if I told you that perhaps part of this information bubble also irrationally magnified the fear you experienced regarding Trump as well?

I'm not saying that you don't need to be worried about a Trump presidency. What I'm saying is that you might be more scared than you need to be.

Syder

*Sees ''Does Donald Trump Speak More Like A Woman?'' headline*

''Oh, this must be from some shitty, Buzzfeed-style, clickbaity site''

*Sees CNN logo*

post-30325-bunk-moreland-cigar-gif-Imgur-weiW.gif

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
*Sees ''Does Donald Trump Speak More Like A Woman?'' headline*

''Oh, this must be from some shitty, Buzzfeed-style, clickbaity site''

*Sees CNN logo*

post-30325-bunk-moreland-cigar-gif-Imgur-weiW.gif

The article is from Politico, and it's based on actual linguistic research.

Linguists don't get no respect, man. You guys dismissed our work in my "bigly" thread too :(

HariKari

The article is from Politico, and it's based on actual linguistic research.

Linguists don't get no respect, man. You guys dismissed our work in my "bigly" thread too :(

Thanks for sharing. It's pretty interesting, and could help explain why he got a larger share of the vote.

RPGCrazied

LOL. But seriously I am still in shock. I can't believe that the US has actually voted for Donald Trump.

Well, more voted for Hillary if that is any solace. The real shocking part is almost half of American's didn't even vote. They are about to really regret that decision.

I think this is relevant because it might start to explain why he won the white female vote. I'm still so baffled by it that I'm ready to read anything that might help me understand why that happened.

I think this has very little to do with why Trump (narrowly) won the white female vote. If you actually know women who voted for Trump, like I do, it's not that baffling. They may not have liked the way Trump treated women, but out of the two options provided of Clinton and Trump they considered Trump the most likely to accomplish what they wanted to see the government do.

This is a little off topic, but while people keep focusing on the demographic information provided by the New York Times exit polls, understandably so, I think this is a particularly revealing statistic that has gotten overlooked:

People who thought the country was moving in the right direction almost entirely voted for Clinton, while people who thought the country was moving in the wrong direction mostly voted for Trump. I would wager that this is the main thing that explains the white female vote: those white women who were optimistic about the country's future were in Clinton's camp, while those who were pessimistic about it went to Trump.

Media

I never said nor implied that or ment to.

You said 'No wonder I couldn't understand him.' implying that women are unintelligible?

Also, many in this thread cracking jokes about him being the first female president after all, as insult to him. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom