• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump on trade: "The Germans are bad, very bad"

Tovarisc

Left out the best part:

According to a report from the "Süddeutsche Zeitung", the EU side was horrified at the extent of the Americans' lack of awareness of trade policy. Apparently, it was unclear to the guests that the EU countries concluded trade agreements only jointly. Trumps economic consultant Gary Cohn is said there are different tariffs between Germany and the US compared to the US and Belgium

This whole administration is full off idiots

Didn't GAF some time ago joke that Trump most likely don't know this?

Xando

Eggiem

giphy.gif

Lord Fagan

Oh, for fuck's sake.

On behalf of all sane and polite Americans, please excuse and ignore this product of nepotistic coddling and corporate pampering gone horribly, horribly wrong. He is a bitterly felt embarrassment angling to curse his entire family line with historical scorn.

bounchfx

trump is the master of projection as we know it

so basically he's just blatantly telling us he's very evil
look at everything else he's said - it's always the opposite.
damn son

PnCIa

I am from Germany. Der Spiegel is a very credible source, even though they apparently got this info second-hand as well.

Unfortunately they dont write whatever the supposed original wording was, because "böse" (their headline in german) can be interpreted as "evil" or as "bad" as well.

azyless

Hahaha, this man is truly exactly as dumb as he seems. I pity the European leaders who will have to deal with him for the next 4 years, I feel like I'd have a more intelligent conversation with an oyster than with this guy.

Trump thinks he can stop German car sales because he thinks we have individual trade deals with EU member nations.

But we don't.

Our own President doesn't know what our fucking trade deals are and how they operate.

We have elected a fucking moron and will pay the price in the years to come...

(on top of that, I believe most if not all German cars sold in the US are assembled here so he would also be destroying thousands of US jobs)
Isn't this literally what he asked Merkel 11 times about, back in April?
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-trade-merkel-germany-eu-2017-4
"Ten times Trump asked [German chancellor Angela Merkel] if he could negotiate a trade deal with Germany. Every time she replied, 'You can’t do a trade deal with Germany, only the EU,'" the official said.

They continued: "On the eleventh refusal, Trump finally got the message, 'Oh, we’ll do a deal with Europe then.'"

Xando

Mercedes owns a plant in Alabama, it would be very bad if something was to happen to it!

Mercedes make cars in Alabama, Volkswagen has a factory in Tenesse and BMW has a factory with 9k workers in South Carolina.

Guess they gonna get closed soon

Pretty sure Trump wouldn't be able to speak any German though or anything else other than a limited form of English.

It's all semantics though. There is no difference between bad or evil really in english or in german.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman notes that depending on the translation, Trump may have been calling the Germans merely "very bad" and not "very evil."

Yeah, "very bad" actually sounds way more like something Trump would say.

Can someone just drag him off to his retirement home, already? For fuck's sake, put him out of his misery -- and ours. #invokethe25th

sangreal

Evil and Bad have literally the same meaning in german (böse). There's no real difference between the two in german language.

Yes but as far as we know Trump doesn't speak German, so there is a difference. The difference is just lost when you translate to German and back

Top Bottom