• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump 'worried about Brexit impact on US jobs'

Oersted

Donald Trump is said to have told European Union leaders he is worried Americans may lose jobs as a result of Britain leaving the EU, in what would amount to an extraordinary U-turn by the US president.

An EU source said Trump spoke of the risks to the global economy posed by Brexit during a 45-minute meeting in Brussels with Donald Tusk and Jean-Claude Juncker, presidents of the European council and European commission respectively.

“Russia, Ukraine and Brexit were covered during the tête-à-tête”, the EU source said. “On Brexit, US expressed concern that jobs in the US would be lost because of Brexit.”

The president was a cheerleader for Brexit, describing June’s voteas a “beautiful, beautiful thing”. After meeting Theresa May at the White House earlier this year, he claimed Brexit would be a “wonderful thing” for Britain.

More here

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/25/trump-worried-about-brexit-impact-on-us-jobs

Lock if old

Shoeless

Well that's a bit surprising. He really doesn't care at all about doing 180s and how it looks to the public at large, or even his allies, does he?

DonShula

Of course he tweeted congratulations to Britain after the Brexit vote. Just another instance of him having no idea what the hell he's talking about when he speaks.

is there going to be job losses in the US because of brexit? I dont quite get it. if anything it is going to strengthen new york as a international trade hub since london will be weakened.

Shoeless

I guess most of his supporters will now also voice concern about Brexit, conveniently forgetting that during the election he said that him winning said election would be "Brexit plus."

So if he's concerned that things are going badly in the UK because of Brexit, well... I guess he and his supporters just won't make the next logical leap.

BriGuy

Isn't he Mr. Brexit? Didn't he herald his election as Brexit times ten?

Then again, it's still early in his presidency. If past is prologue, we'll soon be shedding tons of jobs under Republican leadership.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm pretty sure he congratulated us on the Brexit outcome and fully supported it before.
Read the OP, he did.

This is another instance of him U-turning.
Isn't he Mr. Brexit? Didn't he herald his election as Brexit times ten?

Then again, it's still early in his presidency. If past is prologue, we'll soon be shedding tons of jobs under Republican leadership.
Jesus, guys. It's literally right there in the OP.

Yeah he's definitely going senile

Probably.

But we also knew Trump didn't care much about Brexit at first.
Then he hopped aboard Brexit when his outsider candidate campaign angle started to gain traction.
Trying to stay consistent with his campaign rhetoric, he stayed pro-brexit for a bit.
But in reality as someone tasked with solving issues, Brexit is going to pose unique challenges for the US.

kess

trump-twitter.png

Shoeless

Everyone that loves Trump will continue to love him so what does he have to lose?

I agree with the supporters basically being a cult at this point. But if someone like the leader of country, say, Theresa May, is under the impression that he thinks the Brexit move is a good thing, only to hear later that he has concerns about the wisdom of that move, then she'll probably be less inclined to simply lap it up.

Conversely if you lead North Korea and hear he would be honored to meet you, then hear later that he thinks you're a madman with nukes, you're also unlikely to unconditionally love him no matter what he says.

The base is irrelevant at this point, since he's already in power. But the other leaders he has to deal with, I doubt will so easily forgive and forget 180s in policy.

Isn't it a known thing that for anything he doesn't personally care about, Trump just supports the position of whomever he happens to be talking to at that moment?

He says what he thinks those he's meeting with want to hear. He has no stand on anything other than "Trump First, all the rest of you can fuck off."

Isn't it a known thing that for anything he doesn't personally care about, Trump just supports the position of whomever he happens to be talking to at that moment?

Yes he's also easily swayed by colorful maps and charts and graphs. Someone must have printed him out some and now he gets it. Well gets it as in a child being explained something but beyond the surface he still doesn't understand shit.

mrpoopy

Before meeting with the EU leaders he probably talked to someone that told him America would lose jobs with Brexit.

RPGCrazied

Dementia is a bitch. When will Republicans throw in the towel? Its only going to get worse for them by playing dumb.

You know how you say peace be upon him after saying the prophet's name? After saying Trump there should always come a "you fucking retard"

iammeiam

It's interesting mostly because Brexit specifically is something that appealed to Trump's base specifically--"taking back" one's home country/not being pushed around by some kind of union. So while I can see Trump flip-flopping personally, it seems like it'll be a harder sell to his base who have never cared about the specifics of policies, just the broad strokes. Like, pivoting on Brexit seems like pivoting and declaring Obamacare good for the country. I mean, he could, but some of his voters will be put off because in their heads Brexit=freedom much like Obamacare=death panels.

More evidence, if more were actually required that Trump is such a hollow and empty headed moron he parrots the opinions of the last person he talked to, regardless of the veracity of the conversation. Never in my life have I witnessed such a profoundly stupid world leader.

Clockwork

It is both humorous and agonizing to try to discuss this with one of my friends who is a big Trump die hard:

Me: *sends link*

Him: "source" "an EU source" "if" "the claim"

Me: Yeah all made up. Clearly (sarcasm)

Him: Yeah I'm going to believe some Jew reporter from (((The Guardian))) about alleged comments from a pro EU source

Top Bottom