• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump signs executive order banning transactions with Tencent

bitbydeath

images

Okay then well send back your phone, your computer parts, your television, you consoles, and some of your clothes. Either you learn to live to accept it, or you give up all your little toys. Practice what you preach if you're so high and mighty thinking that this is a good thing.

This is Trump throwing another temper-tantrum.

Lmao hardware and clothes aren't stealing your data and giving it to the Chinese government m8. Although FB and other American tech companies are, and that needs to be addressed as well.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Get the CCP and their holdings companies out of your tech business or any other business. Especially if you register with or give any personal information to any of them or rely on them for crucial supply.

Anyone who wants them there is ignorant.

The fact is... some Westerners are feeling threatened by the rising influence and wealth of the Chinese, all other BS about "communism" is just part of the propaganda and narrative communicated by the West. As for Trump, I have no idea what's his real allegiance, but he is an interesting AF character. We shall see after the election. lol

#Phonepunk#

Banned
My president! Hell yeah!

Once I got a tencent virus that fucked my computer. Cheap Chinese spyware crap. Haven’t trusted that company since. Really sucks that I see movies with their logo. We don’t need to be enriching these genocidal maniacs

Just registered to vote today we need more of this line of thinking

Last edited:
If you understand how much of a foothold China has around the globe, then you know that this is needed. Unless you are ok with supporting communism and horrific labor practices, amongst a plethora of other things that you hopefully wouldn't want spreading to wherever you live...
Sure. But that’s not what this is. This is Trump being upset because Tik Tockers keep ruining his rallies. There are better ways to sanction China. This isn’t that. He’s had plenty of time to take action like this. But he’s only doing it now and specifically at the company responsible for his bad Tulsa rally turnout.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I’m all for Fuck Trump, because fuck Trump, but this very particular thing here I actually approve of. I’m sure there’s a petty reason - like TikTokers making fun of him - but Tencent as a whole is a problem.

Tencent has been buying up stakes in western Media companies for years. I’m not a fan of Puppet companies serving as the arm of a draconian government currently performing genocide amongst it’s own people having a say in what my movies, games, TV shows and music is allowed to talk about.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't think he has the legal authority to do that, not that the law has ever stopped him before.

Three

But this hasn't happened. It's hypothetical scaremongering that is no different to what we have now. What stops google doing this with your android phone? Nothing. Should all countries stop selling android phones?

What about Facebook? Should we ban facebook everywhere?

In fact we have evidence that it has happened from US companies from the Snowden leaks years ago.

The documents identified several technology companies as participants in the PRISM program, including Microsoft in 2007, Yahoo! in 2008, Google in 2009, Facebook in 2009, Paltalk in 2009, YouTube in 2010, AOL in 2011, Skype in 2011 and Apple in 2012. The speaker's notes in the briefing document reviewed by The Washington Post indicated that "98 percent of PRISM production is based on Yahoo, Google, and Microsoft".

The slide presentation stated that much of the world's electronic communications pass through the U.S., because electronic communications data tend to follow the least expensive route rather than the most physically direct route, and the bulk of the world's internet infrastructure is based in the United States.

Clearly this isn't about ideology it's about keeping Chinese companies down because they are branching out to popular tech and big data services. Huawei, tiktok, tencent. You will see more and more excuses and scaremongering to not allow these Chinese companies to get a foothold.

longdi

Banned
The fact is... some Westerners are feeling threatened by the rising influence and wealth of the Chinese, all other BS about "communism" is just part of the propaganda and narrative communicated by the West. As for Trump, I have no idea what's his real allegiance, but he is an interesting AF character. We shall see after the election. lol

You seen how trump admin handles covid. Dont blame china when you yourselves are fat and ineffective 🤷‍♀️

But this hasn't happened. It's hypothetical scaremongering that is no different to what we have now. What stops google doing this with your android phone? Nothing. Should all countries stop selling android phones?

What about Facebook? Should we ban facebook everywhere?

In fact we have evidence that it has happened from US companies from the Snowden leaks years ago.

Clearly this isn't about ideology it's about keeping Chinese companies down because they are branching out to popular tech and big data services. Huawei, tiktok, tencent. You will see more and more excuses and scaremongering to not allow these Chinese companies to get a foothold.

Why would we want Chinese companies to get a foothold when they all answer to the CCP

ShadowLag

I don't know whether or not this affects Tencent's general industry dealings, but that's kinda what we want, right? Tencent and China have been slowly devouring the entire industry like a plague, to the point where every developer on Earth would've ended up taking the dirty money and giving up their soul in the process. Just look at fucking BLIZZARD.

Go live in China for a year and then tell people "it's all BS".

Kenpachii

It is a problem, but that's capitalism in the 21st century. The markets that exist can not exist without the exploitation of the less fortunate. Cost of living and expenses are to a point where we need a certain amount of income to survive, but manufacturing all the products we use would be impossible to make on workers that would need the wages that we in America would need to survive. Things are not going to just be started to make in America if we cut off ties with China, because US businesses will find another poor country to work with. Markets for all the things that the western world that we've all come to know and accept in our day to day lives are a product of others mistreatment.

Until they start to tax anybody that doesn't produce their products in america. See how fast those factory's are build.

Bryank75

Banned
Also a reason I do not carry a phone unless work requires me to.... I never use them in my personal time.

Last edited:

Pejo

First India banned TikTok, and now the US. I am legit pleased with this move.

Just a few companies I wouldn't mind losing who have connections with China and Tencent:
  • TikTok
  • Riot
  • EGS or Epic as a whole
  • Discord
  • Ubisoft
  • Blizzard
The only one I'm kinda sad about is Platinum Games, but they made their bed by taking the money.

I fully realize that this isn't going to ruin any of those companies, but I just want to celebrate a little. Give me that GAF.

Last edited:
First India banned TikTok, and now the US. I am legit pleased with this move.

Just a few companies I wouldn't mind losing who have connections with China and Tencent:
  • TikTok
  • Riot
  • EGS or Epic as a whole
  • Discord
  • Ubisoft
  • Blizzard
The only one I'm kinda sad about is Platinum Games, but they made their bed by taking the money.

I fully realize that this isn't going to ruin any of those companies, but I just want to celebrate a little. Give me that GAF.
Cool.

But let's also get CCP money out of NBA and the Universities.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I mean he does if the courts let him, he doesn't if they don't. Thus far, Congress has had his back but the courts have mostly not, even his own appointees in the SCOTUS. At the very least I think we can agree it's without precedent.

I wonder what this will be applied to. Everyone brings up Epic but Epic is an American company that Tencent holds a minority stake in. Is this gonna blacklist any venture that Tencent has any interest in, because that's a lot of companies.

Three

Are you completely unaware of what the CCP is and does?
Yes I'm aware of what both the US government and CCP do.

Let me just rewrite those dumb tweets framed from a different perspective:

"An Android cybersecurity angle. The National Security Agency in the US employ's an update to scour gps info from the Android OS. Finds out who works at MI5 - Updates only those phones with malware to record voice and images. Android is fun, but be safe people.

This is just an example of what could happen folks. Android is a foreign intelligence service's wet dream. Remember, your cell phone is an audio and video collection and transmit device, whether you want it to or not."

You can bash CCP policy, you can bash US policy. You can do whatever the hell you like but the CCP aren't here killing you neither is the US. They are looking out for their own interests. What's stupid however is pretending that this is some new severe security issue that doesn't exist for other countries using US products.

Last edited:
We wouldn't but US companies all answer to the US government too. I was just referring to the stupid example that was given which was pure fear mongering.
There's one fundamental difference there. Companies in the US are not forced to act on behalf of the US government. For instance, Apple has outright refused to include a backdoor in their devices that the govt has routinely asked for. In China that would not be tolerated and the parties responsible would be removed.

That said, the close relationship between tech companies and the US government has always been extremely concerning. Snowden's whistleblowing exposed exactly how much info is handed over and many of us were outraged. Honestly, I wouldnt have blamed other countries if they banned the big tech companies after all that info came out. As for us here in the US, unfortunately American society as a whole deemed it a worthwhile sacrifice to maintain our safety. Essentially, we made a Deal with the Devil here in the US to keep us safe, but that's no excuse to willingly hand that power over to our enemies.

I mean he does if the courts let him, he doesn't if they don't. Thus far, Congress has had his back but the courts have mostly not, even his own appointees in the SCOTUS. At the very least I think we can agree it's without precedent.

I wonder what this will be applied to. Everyone brings up Epic but Epic is an American company that Tencent holds a minority stake in. Is this gonna blacklist any venture that Tencent has any interest in, because that's a lot of companies.

The precedence has been set. He did this with Huwaei last year

But looking at the legislation, they haven't actually decided which companies this will impact yet. Most likely will be Tencent themselves and their subsidiaries

Yes I'm aware of what both the US government and CCP do.

Let me just rewrite those dumb tweets framed from a different perspective.

"An Android cybersecurity angle. The National Security Agency in the UD employ's an update to scour gps info from the Android OS. Finds out who works at MI5 - Updates only those phones with malware to record voice and images. Android is fun, but be safe people.

This is just an example of what could happen folks. Android is a foreign intelligence service's wet dream. Remember, your cell phone is an audio and video collection and transmit device, whether you want it to or not."

You can bash CCP policy, you can bash US policy. You can do whatever the hell you like but the CCP aren't here killing you neither is the US. They are looking out for their own interests. What's stupid however is pretending that this is some new severe security issue that doesn't exist for other countries using US products.

I mean, I'm not even a US citizen, but I can confidently say I'm less comfortable with the CCP which is effectively committing genocide taking my data than the US government.

Last edited:
Top Bottom