• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump signs order aimed at allowing churches to engage in more political activity

RDreamer

Trump signs order aimed at allowing churches to engage in more political activity

President Trump on Thursday said he would direct the Internal Revenue Service to relax enforcement of rules barring tax-exempt churches from participating in politics as part of a much-anticipated executive order on religious liberties.

The order — which Trump formally unveiled in a Rose Garden ceremony with Christian leaders — also offers unspecified “regulatory relief” for religious objectors to an Obama administration mandate, already scaled back by the courts, that required contraception services as part of health plans, the officials said.

“For too long the federal government has used the state as a weapon against people of faith,” Trump said, later telling the religious leaders gathered for the event that “you’re now in a position to say what you want to say … No one should be censoring sermons or targeting pastors.”

But the sweep of the order — unveiled on a National Day of Prayer — was significantly narrower than a February draft, which had alarmed civil libertarians, gay rights and other liberal advocacy groups and prompted threats of lawsuits.

Among other things, that version included a controversial provision that could have allowed federal contractors to discriminate against LGBT employees or single mothers on the basis of faith.

The order released Thursday instead included a blanket statement that “it is the policy of the administration to protect and vigorously promote religious liberty.”

kess

There's a church on every single street corner and they're screaming about censorship.

Sick.

Linkura

Churches are already exempt from a bunch of non-profit regulations, such as filing a 990. Fuck this bullshit. They should be treated like any other nonprofit if they want that tax exemption.

Karkador

Banned
The order released Thursday instead included a blanket statement that “it is the policy of the administration to protect and vigorously promote religious liberty.”

The 1st Amendment disagrees

Does this mean birth control isn't covered by health care now?

Also is it all religions that are covered by this or just Christianity?

necrosis

Churches are already exempt from a bunch of non-profit regulations, such as filing a 990. Fuck this bullshit. They should be treated like any other nonprofit if they want that tax exemption.

yep

fucking bullshit

you shouldn't be able to have it both ways. hopefully this gets taken to court

Korigama

Just to reiterate from the previous thread, during his speech, he referred to freedom as being a God-given right before quoting Thomas Jefferson in the next sentence.

Ryuuroden

Gee whiz I hope Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries start funneling in tons of money to Muslim religious groups in the United States and make this backfire like crazy. Would love to see liberal churches and the Church of Scientology go crazy too. Let's see it go crazy

I've said it before here and I'll say it again:

the one thing that pisses me off more than anything is thinking that any religion, let alone the church, should have a say in politics.

MarionCB

Religions should not get a tax exemption in the first place. If they want to set up a registered charity, then fine, that activity can be exempt same as for everyone else, and abide by the restrictions like everyone else.

Does this mean birth control isn't covered by health care now?

Also is it all religions that are covered by this or just Christianity?

Looks like birth control can be opted-out of being funded through employer insurance with this due to religious beliefs.

As far as the other...I don't know? It seems so vague, outside the birth control stuff, I can't really tell what this does.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The provision is written in the tax code and would require an act of Congress to repeal fully.

The order instead directs the Internal Revenue Service to “exercise maximum enforcement discretion of the prohibition.” Such a direction could be subject to legal challenge and would not necessarily extend beyond a Trump presidency.

Let this nightmare be over already.

Slacker

Young people are fleeing the church in droves, what should we do? I know! Let's encourage pastors to shut up about that love and compassion stuff and publicly advocate for people like Donald Trump! Problem solved!

Top Bottom