• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump signs order aimed at allowing churches to engage in more political activity

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Why do I get the feeling this appalling Executive Order is designed to distract from today's health care vote?

The evangelicals helped get him inside the white house. so hand jobs for them.

I thought the whole press conference for that EO was a disgusting obscene display.

Those are some serious faux religious shills standing around him clapping like trained seals. Thinking the louder they arf arf the more tax cuts they get.

Faux Christianity.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Religions should not get a tax exemption in the first place. If they want to set up a registered charity, then fine, that activity can be exempt same as for everyone else, and abide by the restrictions like everyone else.
Well they've had the exemption for decades and none of them have ever abused it.

Codeblue

Gee whiz I hope Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries start funneling in tons of money to Muslim religious groups in the United States and make this backfire like crazy. Would love to see liberal churches and the Church of Scientology go crazy too. Let's see it go crazy

The time honored tradition of conservatives realizing that their policies are bad when they see Muslims or Black people taking advantage of them.

Finally, relief for all the marginalized American Christians. Maybe they can finally come out from the shadows and practice their religion openly without fear of oppression. The name "Jesus" will no longer be a dirty word spoken only in secret.

Blows my mind that some people genuinely do see the world this way

This is basically nothing. It asks the IRS not to punish Churches against a law that they are basically not punished against now. And it doesn't change the law.

But hey, great photo op.

rrs

so long story short the IRS may be more lenient to churches, or any 501(c)(3) doing political campaigning. Maybe hot air for his base? It's not like the Johnson amendment was gutted

Future

Yeah who gives a fuck about what a church wants to say politically. I'll never understand why they are tax exempt though

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is as bad for churches as it is for politics.

The worst thing to happen to American Christianity in the last 50 years is getting so tied up in the modern conservative movement.

Linkura

so long story short the IRS may be more lenient to churches, or any 501(c)(3) doing political campaigning. Maybe hot air for his base? It's not like the Johnson amendment was gutted

No, they would not be lenient to other 501c3s, as far as I can tell. Just churches.

jstripes

Banned
Hell no, the last thing this insane political climate needs is the fear of god on top of the fear of the brown man.

Rednecks and ISIS are pretty similar. They like shooting guns, driving around waving flags in pickup trucks, engaging in hate speech online, killing anyone different from them given the opportunity...

I worked for nonprofits a while back when in college and despite being full of extremely liberal people who hated Bush (at the time) - it was made supremely clear nonprofit organizations are not allowed engage in political campaigning.

Where's their "rights"?

Churches deserve the right to engage in political speech.

It's the tax exemption they don't deserve.

Now? Yup.

The worst thing to happen to American Christianity in the last 50 years is getting so tied up in the modern conservative movement.

This is debatable, depending on what face of American Christianity we're talking about

kess

The worst Eisenhower legacy that no one talks about.

Didn't most of the major religious figures oppose Trump, anyway?

I mean, sure, he gets the Southern Baptists to stump for him, but was he going to lose Mississippi and Kansas, anyway?

darkwing

Didn't most of the major religious figures oppose Trump, anyway?

I mean, sure, he gets the Southern Baptists to stump for him, but was he going to lose Mississippi and Kansas, anyway?

I think most white Christians voted for him because he was pro-life(?)

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This helps Democrats more than anyone. The Johnson rule violations were mostly black churches telling people to vote for Hillary.

Thanks Trump?

Top Bottom