• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to scrap NASA climate research in crackdown on ‘politicized science’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

I'll be honest. I'd rather not know the bullet is coming prior to my death. So when the world ends, at least I would never have known about it.

Climate change isn't a bullet, it's heart disease. It's not going to bring about the end of civilization overnight; it's a slow death. You'll still see it coming.

Jonm1010

Banned
This is related and I could use some advice/suggestions on how to respond. I posted this on Facebook:

For Some, Scientists Aren't The Authority On Science
http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/11/28/503551431/for-some-scientists-aren-t-the-authority-on-science

And someone I know commented with this:
"The majority of University Professors are liberals. If they weren't, maybe they could be trusted by more people."

I have thought of about 20 different responses. I don't want to be too confrontational, but I want to reveal how willfully ignorant a statement like this is. Any suggestions?

Tell them this is not just "dirty lieberals" concluding this. The entire property and casualty insurance market does their own analysis of the evidence, along with gathering their own historical data, and they now build climate change into their risk forecasts when setting policy rates.

The military that conservatives love so much has done its own independent analysis as well and finds it to be real and a major issue that needs significant strategizing to adapt to.

http://www.naic.org/cipr_topics/topic_climate_risk_disclosure.htm
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN11K0BC

Climate change isn't a bullet, it's heart disease. It's not going to bring about the end of civilization overnight; it's a slow death. You'll still see it coming.

It's not even heart disease. It's adult onset diabetes caused solely by eating too much sugar. It probably won't even kill us, we'll just probably have to have our legs cut off. Of course, it's virtually guaranteed to be reversible through responsible consumption and implementing specific treatments, but that would mean self-analysis, self-denial, and behavior modification, 3 things average Joe is encouraged by a consumer-based society to actively combat or actively ignore. And if anything, that should inform us that climate change is guaranteed to be irreversible by sensible means that are counter to 1st world human nature. We are people who by and large refuse to cure ourselves unless there's a pill to do our work for us, and without the majority changing course the only way climate change will reverse is through CO2 sequestration technologies rather than sacrifice and responsibility.

I'm sorry, what?

Tbh, I'm legitimately surprised he even knows what an amoeba is

Trump’s Scottish scuffle was the subject of a May 2008 Vanity Fair investigation by Alex Shoumatoff. And, as Shoumatoff reported, Trump doesn’t have much outward affection for animals—not that this is necessarily a prerequisite for wanting to protect them, we guess:

“Trump says, ‘Do you think manatees know they’re alive? They’re like huge amoebas, constantly getting hit by boats. I don’t think they’re 100 percent there.’ I say they’re related to elephants, so they must have some smarts, and it’s not like they want to be shredded by propellers.”

I'm sorry, what?

So what I am reading is to factor this into determining where to buy a house. Hello future beach front property.

Seriously though, fuck you about half of America and especially fuck you to the Democrats who didn't Hillary whether through not voting or voting third party in protest. One party recognizes its a sport and cares more about their team winning regardless of who the players are where as the other team hopes for the best but can't bring themselves to support their team unless they love everyone on it. Also fuck Trump and his cabinet. Drain the swamp indeed. How is that going?

Usobuko

Banned
Thank you America.

shh, you going to hurt some people very fragile feelings.

American exceptionalism mentality has shown to be cancerous. If my country is shit and get criticized, so be it, who cares about a piece of land that you're born and associated with? The only citizen in this world that gives a shit about being the greatest are those deluded fuckers who get us into this stage.

At this point, the whole world should fight back, make planet earth great again.

On the plus side, we don't have to teach them about president donald trump.

Nah, hopefully he and his colleagues will be emblazoned in history as the people who turned their back on all logic and reason when it was needed most. He absolutely deserves his place in the history books.

Blatz

Tell them this is not just "dirty lieberals" concluding this. The entire property and casualty insurance market does their own analysis of the evidence, along with gathering their own historical data, and they now build climate change into their risk forecasts when setting policy rates.

The military that conservatives love so much has done its own independent analysis as well and finds it to be real and a major issue that needs significant strategizing to adapt to.

http://www.naic.org/cipr_topics/topic_climate_risk_disclosure.htm
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN11K0BC

Thanks. I knew this but didn't think of it. It's a good non-confrontational way to respond, which is exactly what I was looking for.

gruenel

Fuck you. 98% of climatologists confirm and agree that man is leaving a detrimental footprint on the planet and that climate change exists. 2% don't. Where's he getting this 'half' number?

He asked two of the most tremendous scientists, one said it's real and one didn't.

Same principle applies I guess. Wont spend any time worrying about it. Once its here i'll become a wandering marauder and enjoy my final days as best i can.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
elon save us

Elon is fucked.
Trump will cut all renewable energy dollars.* It's a shocking turn of events. A few weeks ago I thought that the sky was the limit with his new solar tiles.

*unless he has some buddies who rely on them

Jonm1010

Banned
Elon is fucked.
Trump will cut all renewable energy dollars.* It's a shocking turn of events. A few weeks ago I thought that the sky was the limit with his new solar tiles.

Isn't part of the magic with the solar tiles that due to cleaning up inefficiencies in the supply chain and the reduced shipping costs, the tiles will ultimately be competitive with current premium tiles on the market?

Figments

My dream of mankind getting colonies on Mars within the next century shouldn't come at the expense of accurate environmental data from orbiting satellites.

Goddammit.

It should come at the expense of the fucking military. They don't need all that money.

Ac30

Elon is fucked.

Those tiles are so fucking gorgeous though holy shit. Now no one can claim solar is unsightly. They sure blew my mind.

Those tiles are so fucking gorgeous though holy shit. Now no one can claim solar is unsightly. They sure blew my mind.

My anti-environmentalist relatives were ranting about how terrible solar panels look and how they'd blow off the roof in a hurricane. I brought up these tiles and they shut up and changed their tune to asking how much they cost.

Ac30

My anti-environmentalist relatives were ranting about how terrible solar panels look and how they'd blow off the roof in a hurricane. I brought up these tiles and they shut up and changed their tune to asking how much they cost.

Same with my parents, and boy does it make me happy. Tesla is fucking incredible and I hope it never goes under. I'm buying their cars, roofs and power wall as soon as I can get a house (fat chance)

Same principle applies I guess. Wont spend any time worrying about it. Once its here i'll become a wandering marauder and enjoy my final days as best i can.

Its already here though. Its not something that people can just continue to put off like its some future threat. Sea level rise is just one of the consequences of climate change plants, animals, the weather all of these things are currently and will continue to be effected by climate change. These are things we as human beings are gonna have to deal with in our lifetime. Severe droughts, out of control wildfires, powerful hurricanes and tornado's, and extinction of plants and animal species that may or may not be vital to human survival.

Pomerlaw

Elon is fucked.

lol no he's not. They just made the deal with Solar City.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-solarcity-idUSKBN13C2PV

The market is switching to green and there is no turning back. All we can do now is quicken the pace so we can avoid the most serious consequences of climate change, or fail.

You can do you part. Go green as much as you can.

The Mule

With great power comes great responsibility, and the USA is really dropping the ball on this one.

Damn it America. Why are you so broken?

Jeffrey

my friends at NASA don't seem too worried. It's frustratingly hard to change any of these large federal organizations for better or worse, and NASA has survived its share of conservatives trying to shut their 'politicized science' stuff down over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom