• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump wants to drill for oil in Alaska's fragile wildlife refuge

The 19-million-acre Arctic National Wildlife Refuge has been closed to oil exploration since 1980 due to concerns about the impact on the region's caribou, polar bears and other animals.
But Trump, who has promised to flex America's energy muscles, wants to change that. The White House's budget proposal put out this week calls for raising nearly $2 billion in revenue over the next decade by selling oil and gas leases in an oil-rich section of ANWR.
Opening the Alaskan refuge to drilling requires an act of Congress and environmentalists are already vowing fierce opposition. Given the high costs involved, it's not clear Big Oil would even want to drill in the challenging Alaskan terrain in today's world of low oil prices.
But with Republicans in control of Congress, those arguments may not hold much sway.
"It's a real, live thing. For Republicans, it's taking on a Keystone-like rallying cry," said Joe McMonigle, who served as the Department of Energy's chief of staff under President George W. Bush.
McMonigle, senior energy policy analyst at Hedgeye Potomac Research, predicted Congress will approve drilling in ANWR through the budget reconciliation process, which requires a simple majority for approval.
That's what happened in 1995, but the budget package was ultimately vetoed by President Clinton.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/25/inv...ng-trump-anwr0539PMVODtopLink&linkId=38011677

PJV3

It's not like we're short of oil at the moment, it's just being a vandal because he can.

Fierce opposition that will lead to a rallying effect by the opposition, for something the industry he's giving it to doesn't even want and wouldn't use.

Yep, that's a Trump proposal alright.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am so exhausted man....this fucking cunt needs to die.

I love polar bears they are already on record low numbers :(

Shoeless

How do Alaskans feel about this? Are they generally on board, or do they care about stuff like their environment and the welfare of polar bears?

Like, we really don't need more oil at the moment. There's a glut.

We are selling some of our reserve to pay for military budget under Trump with the assumption being we will be ok by raping the environment and drilling in all these protected areas.

Republicans are the fucking worst. Seriously, them and their supporters.

How do Alaskans feel about this? Are they generally on board, or do they care about stuff like their environment and the welfare of polar bears?

There was a vote earlier this year to roll back protections on gunning wildlife down on federal lands from helicopters or even going into their dens as they hibernated. Alaskans were against this repeal, the Congressional members they voted in though were all for it because they are Republican shits.

McLovin

Trump didn't lie about his stamina. I mean a cartoon villain wouldn't be able to keep up with his bullshit. All his scandals get buried under his newer scandals. And fox just spinning on overdrive. I know they are exhausted lol.

We need to drill into Trump Towers and get his tax returns. I have no doubt financially tied to everything he does. It boggles my mind on how he hasn't shown anything and just how big of a deal this actually is.

Chris R

ANWR is gigantic, it's bigger than 10 states.

The oil would most likely be in ~3 or 4% of the area, so it isn't like the entire thing would be covered in derricks. The problem is that spills will occur, and those could harm wildlife or their habitat.

The state could really use the jobs/money it would bring though, things are rough right now and won't get better until we get a statewide sales or income tax.

orava

zWvTwm2.gif

Top Bottom