• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump will be one of the Greatest 45th Presidents of the United States ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
He cannot win, they said. He has no path to victory, they said. NeoGAF is always wrong: fact. Therefore, the broad abuse of OP and his optimism for Trump's presidency is a sure indicator that everything will be better than great.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
giphy.gif

Raiden

Banned
At first i was really dissapointed with Trumps victory. But morbid curiousity has taken over and i really want to see what happens to America with a Trump presidency. I literally have no idea what to expect anymore. I would have bet money on Clinton winning. Glad i didnt though.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The problem is that the Paris Climate Treaty will be useless in four years because Trump and corporate America will have damaged the environment to the point beyond saving. It's not as simple as "ah, well, we'll do better in four years, just wait it out."

Corporate America is about to go green, not because it is right, but because green tech is about to make a shit load of money. The world as a whole is going green, if America doesn't its economy will either be sanctioned or lag behind. If either happen no republican will be voted into office ever again (or the republicans will embrace climate change). Furthermore, if trump pulls out of Paris, no foreign government will work with him at all on any trade deals. He will be cutting of his nose to spite his face. The dude may be an ass, but he knows business. Dropping from the Paris Climate Deal would be bad for business.

The alarmists in threads like these that claim we are doomed if he does are pretty much the liberal version of christian nutjobs that read revelations and then pick an arbitrary date for the rapture.

Even if trump pulls us out of paris the US is only 18% of the worlds emissions. China is going green and fast, they will become the new leader. Others will follow them as the green revolution leads to massive economic prosperity for the world. America be damned.

Jaeyden

You can say this all you want but I have LGBT people in my immediate family and you voted for or want a guy in office who has made direct threats to marriage equality, and rolling back their rights as human beings. So no, your not on my team and that's just one example off the top of my head. It's hard to not feel like this election in general felt like it was America saying "yup, we endorse this all. This is what we're about" in regards to everything Trump campaigned on and the rhetoric he used. The rest of us are now feeling very much sick by how America has just presented itself to the world and sick by how whether or not people were motivated by racism, sexism, xenophobia or not... they were at least indifferent to it or willing to let it slide and compromise. The rest of us who voted to stop him feel like we're now in a plane flying as the pilot faints, and instead of letting the co-pilot take over who knows how to fly, half of the plane pulls him out of the cockpit and pushes a 5 year old who's screaming "I wanna flyyyy" in after him. Now the door is locked and can't be opened until, hopefully, he lands this thing. The other half of us are now looking in disbelief at you asking why, and how, and all we hear is "we wanted change, an outsider", "he's not just another airline pilot", or the best "I just couldn't let her fly after that email thing..." I know it's not a perfect analogy, but most of us are now feeling like hopefully when this plane hits the ground in 4 years, we're still alive and without too much irreparable damage.

This is what I feel like the protests are ultimately about, and it's not because our side lost like this was some normal election like in the past. There was more on the ballot than policy positions this time. The other half of voters, the majority, are now saying "No we fucking don't endorse this. We didn't vote to normalize this and it's not okay." I mean, I could not even think up a more cartoonish huckster than how Trump was during the campaign. "You hate Obamacare? I'm gonna repeal it! It's the worst thing ever on earth!" "Don't like Iran deal? Worst deal of all time forever." "Blame Obama? Worst president of all time!" He was just telling people exactly what they wanted to hear, while demonstrating a clear lack of knowledge and understanding of each subject with little specifics and substance, and somehow people ate up the very, very obvious bullshit he was feeding you. "I'll stop ISIS with my super secret ultimate plan. I know more than generals. But i'm gonna ask the generals for their plan... That's my plan. Or maybe it's not." "I'll bring back jobs, I know all about it. People who work for me have jobs. I'm the best." A lot of my depression is coming from how the sliver of hope I had for humanity to be able to reason and think critically even on some base level, has vanished. I now know that there is no evil or act of potentially apocalyptic stupidity that we can't or won't willingly visit upon ourselves.

Seriously, after Michelle's heartfelt speech about the access hollywood tape, Americans went "Yeah lady, whatever... I'm voting for the pussy grabber." Or after seeing Trump, a grown ass man, have to have his phone taken away from him by handlers so he would stop self-sabotaging his own campaign, America said "Yup, that's a man with vision and focus. Got my vote." His petty need to satisfy his urges and stroke his fragile ego by tweeting was so much greater than his need or desire to win the presidential election that he was unable to restrain himself. His babysitters and the other adults near him had too, in the middle of writing his speeches and begging him to stick to the prompter. And you wanted this man to have access to nukes. "Weeeeeeelll, I never seen such discipline and temperament. Give that man the codes and i'll sleep good at night! Better than giving to the email lady. You know she gave speeches for a lot of money?! Talk about unfit..."

I don't know what's worse: That you're for real, or that the anti-intellectual and fact-averse culture that fueled Trump's success produces arguments and opinions indistinguishable from trolling. And it never ends. We're already seeing how that culture reacts post-election. "Trump is honest, he says what he means!" Trump has already compromised on his Wall (more of a fence, maybe, that we pay for), on Obamacare (keeping most of it...thanks Obama), and draining the swamp by filling spots with the usual GOP names and lobbyists. "Well, he don't have to do it all literally... as long as I know he's looking out for me." So those thinking Trump voters are in for a rude awakening to reality when he doesn't deliver, it's looking like their measures and standards for success are as flexible or optional as their facts.

Bravo mate, bravo.

ty_hot

The only good thing I see in him is that the confilct is Syria will probably descalate, which is the secret plan for him to defeating ISIS: stoppen fighing against Assad and Russia, and working with them to stop ISIS. Can you imagine him in his first year as President defeating ISIS? that is very likely in my opinion

BlitzKeeg

You can say this all you want but I have LGBT people in my immediate family and you voted for or want a guy in office who has made direct threats to marriage equality, and rolling back their rights as human beings. So no, your not on my team and that's just one example off the top of my head. It's hard to not feel like this election in general felt like it was America saying "yup, we endorse this all. This is what we're about" in regards to everything Trump campaigned on and the rhetoric he used. The rest of us are now feeling very much sick by how America has just presented itself to the world and sick by how whether or not people were motivated by racism, sexism, xenophobia or not... they were at least indifferent to it or willing to let it slide and compromise. The rest of us who voted to stop him feel like we're now in a plane flying as the pilot faints, and instead of letting the co-pilot take over who knows how to fly, half of the plane pulls him out of the cockpit and pushes a 5 year old who's screaming "I wanna flyyyy" in after him. Now the door is locked and can't be opened until, hopefully, he lands this thing. The other half of us are now looking in disbelief at you asking why, and how, and all we hear is "we wanted change, an outsider", "he's not just another airline pilot", or the best "I just couldn't let her fly after that email thing..." I know it's not a perfect analogy, but most of us are now feeling like hopefully when this plane hits the ground in 4 years, we're still alive and without too much irreparable damage.

This is what I feel like the protests are ultimately about, and it's not because our side lost like this was some normal election like in the past. There was more on the ballot than policy positions this time. The other half of voters, the majority, are now saying "No we fucking don't endorse this. We didn't vote to normalize this and it's not okay." I mean, I could not even think up a more cartoonish huckster than how Trump was during the campaign. "You hate Obamacare? I'm gonna repeal it! It's the worst thing ever on earth!" "Don't like Iran deal? Worst deal of all time forever." "Blame Obama? Worst president of all time!" He was just telling people exactly what they wanted to hear, while demonstrating a clear lack of knowledge and understanding of each subject with little specifics and substance, and somehow people ate up the very, very obvious bullshit he was feeding you. "I'll stop ISIS with my super secret ultimate plan. I know more than generals. But i'm gonna ask the generals for their plan... That's my plan. Or maybe it's not." "I'll bring back jobs, I know all about it. People who work for me have jobs. I'm the best." A lot of my depression is coming from how the sliver of hope I had for humanity to be able to reason and think critically even on some base level, has vanished. I now know that there is no evil or act of potentially apocalyptic stupidity that we can't or won't willingly visit upon ourselves.

Seriously, after Michelle's heartfelt speech about the access hollywood tape, Americans went "Yeah lady, whatever... I'm voting for the pussy grabber." Or after seeing Trump, a grown ass man, have to have his phone taken away from him by handlers so he would stop self-sabotaging his own campaign, America said "Yup, that's a man with vision and focus. Got my vote." His petty need to satisfy his urges and stroke his fragile ego by tweeting was so much greater than his need or desire to win the presidential election that he was unable to restrain himself. His babysitters and the other adults near him had too, in the middle of writing his speeches and begging him to stick to the prompter. And you wanted this man to have access to nukes. "Weeeeeeelll, I never seen such discipline and temperament. Give that man the codes and i'll sleep good at night! Better than giving to the email lady. You know she gave speeches for a lot of money?! Talk about unfit..."

I don't know what's worse: That you're for real, or that the anti-intellectual and fact-averse culture that fueled Trump's success produces arguments and opinions indistinguishable from trolling. And it never ends. We're already seeing how that culture reacts post-election. "Trump is honest, he says what he means!" Trump has already compromised on his Wall (more of a fence, maybe, that we pay for), on Obamacare (keeping most of it...thanks Obama), and draining the swamp by filling spots with the usual GOP names and lobbyists. "Well, he don't have to do it all literally... as long as I know he's looking out for me." So those thinking Trump voters are in for a rude awakening to reality when he doesn't deliver, it's looking like their measures and standards for success are as flexible or optional as their facts.

This just crystallizes everything wrong with this entire situation.

Thank you so much for posting this.

I fear greatly for the future.

You just voiced the entire problem with the election. Bravo.

So those thinking Trump voters are in for a rude awakening to reality when he doesn't deliver

This is just the thing. They know exactly what they voted for and it's exactly what they want. They don't care about anything Trump has said, or did, or will do. I'm not saying everyone that voted Trump is a redneck-- but there's a lot of them, and I grew up and lived around them for over 30 years and I can tell you right now there's a lot of completely sheltered people out there that have little understanding of the world around them because of entitlement and being completely self-centered. They're not necessarily bad people in general, just mostly ignorant.

Trump appeals to this crowd because they also don't care about the LGBT community, the climate, the environment, folk from other countries. They think Trump's humor, his crudeness, his attitude toward women is hilarious because some can relate, if I'm allowed to be blunt. It's all about the white, low/middle-income American and what's best for them at this current time. So no, there's no rude awakening that will happen. Whatever happens will likely tickle them despite the woes of others.

You can't make America "great again" by shutting out so many different types of people. What makes America great and powerful is the unification of all. Donald Trump and unfortunately so many Americans apparently don't understand this and I can't wait to see him go.

Grinchy

Banned
He cannot win, they said. He has no path to victory, they said. NeoGAF is always wrong: fact. Therefore, the broad abuse of OP and his optimism for Trump's presidency is a sure indicator that everything will be better than great.

The Off-Topic section is the political version of Michael Pachter.

Ominym

Banned
Has OP come back from work yet to address this flaming shitpile of a thread they started? Or are they busy making America great again by working a nearly 24 hour shift?

Post of the year?

Peltz

Great post, but I think you're missing the very real threat that Donald Trump poses not just in terms of his policies, but also to the very fabric of our democracy. We are living in a post-truth world where people will accept the things Trump says as truer than what the media says about him. As Orwell once said, "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows. " Trump, however, literally rewrites the past every time he opens his mouth and we, as a society, seem to be somehow comfortable with this because of how often he does it. He's already normalized his lack of any true policy or consistent beliefs.

For example, the fact that some people don't take him seriously (yet some do) when he says things like "we need to have all Muslims registered," means that he very much can say whatever he wants and not lose support from his constituency when he changes his mind (which he has done consistently). This is DANGEROUS territory that we have never seen from a United States President.

All of these internal contradictions means that we don't know the underlying ideology of our President. The worst fear is NOT that he's a conservative. Rather, the worst fear is that he does NOT HAVE an ideology at all. This is the hallmark of fascism . Fascism is concerned with saying whatever is politically expedient to gain power. However, our media has always been a safeguard measure against that by being our fact-checking resource.

Yet, we now live in an unprecedented time when people no longer trust the media due to the way we consume it. Anything on the internet can be a "fact" because we do not have any journalistic integrity on social media. Furthermore, he wants to end our trade deals, violate treaties, and economically isolate us as a nation from the rest of the world.

This is all very similar to the behavior of Stalin, Musolini, and Hitler. The xenophoebia and racist undertones, fear mongering, blaming a specific sect of people for economic troubles, and warring with a specific religion are all dead-giveaways too.

The fact that he could possibly control the House, Senate, and highest Court in the land, means that his Presidency is going to be the ultimate stress test for our system of checks and balances. It will be the ultimate stress test to see what the Executive Branch is capable of under the most opportunistic of conditions. It's a stress test for the concept of Federalism because most states are now controlled by Republican governors.

I genuinely believe that Donald Trump is a threat to the very rule of law itself. The very structure of our country that was created by our founding fathers is now under the greatest threat we have ever known.

The rest of us who voted to stop him feel like we're now in a plane flying as the pilot faints, and instead of letting the co-pilot take over who knows how to fly, half of the plane pulls him out of the cockpit and pushes a 5 year old who's screaming "I wanna flyyyy" in after him.

this is too good

I am surrounded by trump supporters at my job. I mean they aren't happy and Bannon being there but they are pretty excited. I just want to crack a smug joke about trump being an orangutan or something. My boss is one of them. We are also diverse so there are liberals here.

Quitting isn't an option since I'd like to at least be here for 4 years before looking elsewhere.

This sucks.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
We really do need Trump, Obama has Slapnuts working a 24-hour work shift!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
dying at the title change... both the specificity of it, AND that it doesn't even confidently declare that we will be THE greatest 45th.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I am surrounded by trump supporters at my job. I mean they aren't happy and Bannon being there but they are pretty excited. I just want to crack a smug joke about trump being an orangutan or something. My boss is one of them. We are also diverse so there are liberals here.

Quitting isn't an option since I'd like to at least be here for 4 years before looking elsewhere.

This sucks.

Definitely a perk of being an academic. Few republicans (only one in my department that I'm aware of) and those tend to be more moderate and not Trump supporter types.

I'm still depressed about the outcome, but at least I'm insulated from it as a straight, white male college professor. Far too many of my minority and LBGT friends aren't though and I get angry just thinking about the regression the country has made for them.

can't be quoted enough.

LakeEarth

can't be quoted enough.

I do not understand whatsoever why anyone would've believed a word he said. But more than that, I don't understand how people can selectively choose what he says are lies, and what he actually means. I've heard multiple people who voted for him say "I don't think he means half the things he says". So the stuff he said that you didn't like were all lies, but the stuff that he said that you liked, that was the truth? And of course, the half that was "true" to one person isn't going to be the same half to the other person.

I just don't get it.

Dice//

Banned

wKoegUa.gif

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I do not understand whatsoever why anyone would've believed a word he said. But more than that, I don't understand how people can selectively choose what he says are lies, and what he actually means. I've heard multiple people who voted for him say "I don't think he means half the things he says". So the stuff he said that you didn't like were all lies, but the stuff that he said that you liked, that was the truth? And of course, the half that was "true" to one person isn't going to be the same half to the other person.

I just don't get it.
Honestly, it just goes to show how easily people are swayed by someone telling them what they want to hear. Anyone with any sense would know, from decades of precedent, that this guy is one of the dodgiest fuckers on the planet. They still voted for him with all sorts of half-arsed reasons. If they actually care about corruption (I doubt they do) they're in for a treat.

I just hope the majority never, ever normalise Trump. He's the epitome of a rotten, corrupt person.

I think Stevetopsy has correctly summarized a lot of fears of the democratic people, and those fears are also present in the republican people who voted for Trump. But he severely undermines the reasons why those 'fair' republicans voted for him.

"Weeeeeeelll, I never seen such discipline and temperament. Give that man the codes and i'll sleep good at night! Better than giving to the email lady. You know she gave speeches for a lot of money?! Talk about unfit..."
I know this is taking some liberties, but it's absolutely not a common viewpoint for the average person who's voted for Trump. I think most folks who voted for Trump don't think he's got a great temperament, or that he's disciplined. And the main thing people are upset about with the speeches for money isn't the fact that she was paid to speak, its who paid her and what she did with the money. Those are the most important facts that the average 'Trump supporter' was interested in. There are some very serious implications of the Clinton's being able to be bribed and bribing others, and the intentions seem not necessarily in favor of the American people.

keuja

Don't put us in the same dirty bucket as you. You are on the team of an incompetent and sexist racist man-child supported by the Kkk who defends the interests of corporations and the rich and who oppresses everyone not straight, white and Christian. Anyway you'll see soon enough that the majority of the population will get fucked by this guy. From worst candidate ever to best POTUS ever? Delusional Trump supporters never change...

cornerman

Trump is not really our president. Bannon is our president. Priebus is our president. Pence is our president. The three are Cheney to Donald's Bush. Looking at Donald's career, it's clear he doesn't want to get in the weeds of anything. He's going to do what he's always done...and delegate. He's shown throughout out his life and his campaign that he's not going to do any sufficient research or make any real attempts to learn anything. He was focused on 'winning' and now that he has...he will have no desire to do the actual job. He's the 'decider'. After those intelligence briefings (and the ones to come), he's going to be relying heavily on other people's vision and recommendations. And if he bets wrong, you'll see him shuffle the blame to them. The party owns Donald Trump...more than probably any president we've ever had. He is completely out of his element. Everyone (including his opponents) is 'terrific' because he knows this. When you're ignorant, it's easy to have the wool pulled over your eyes, and you're easily controlled. I've always scoffed at his policies as I knew they'd never see the light of day. He wouldn't know how to go about the simplest of tasks done in Washington. He's going to be a rubber stamp...and when it comes to his sole duties as president...it's his distaste for reading/asking questions/or having any critical thinking skills that leave an opening for calamity.

Trump's entire presidency will be one of survival. I don't suspect he will have any initiatives outside of what the party provides for him. MAGA will simply evolve into the whatever the party's platform is. He will emerge when he can have positive photo ops and no questions and we will see a lot of position changes and resignations. He's going to do what he's told.

And he will need to figure out what he does about the isolation of the job...there will be no model pussies to grab.

Boney

Banned

This sucks.
Get some friendly bets going on. Which country he insults first or when will he get his executive orders rejected.

Log4Girlz

Trump is not really our president. Bannon is our president. Priebus is our president. Pence is our president. The three are Cheney to Donald's Bush. Looking at Donald's career, it's clear he doesn't want to get in the weeds of anything. He's going to do what he's always done...and delegate. He's shown throughout out his life and his campaign that he's not going to do any sufficient research or make any real attempts to learn anything. He was focused on 'winning' and now that he has...he will have no desire to do the actual job. He's the 'decider'. After those intelligence briefings (and the ones to come), he's going to be relying heavily on other people's vision and recommendations. And if he bets wrong, you'll see him shuffle the blame to them. The party owns Donald Trump...more than probably any president we've ever had. He is completely out of his element. Everyone (including his opponents) is 'terrific' because he knows this. When you're ignorant, it's easy to have the wool pulled over your eyes, and you're easily controlled. I've always scoffed at his policies as I knew they'd never see the light of day. He wouldn't know how to go about the simplest of tasks done in Washington. He's going to be a rubber stamp...and when it comes to his sole duties as president...it's his distaste for reading/asking questions/or having any critical thinking skills that leave an opening for calamity.

Trump's entire presidency will be one of survival. I don't suspect he will have any initiatives outside of what the party provides for him. MAGA will simply evolve into the whatever the party's platform is. He will emerge when he can have positive photo ops and no questions and we will see a lot of position changes and resignations. He's going to do what he's told.

And he will need to figure out what he does about the isolation of the job...there will be no model pussies to grab.

A fascist Ronald Reagan

shoreu

Be sure to tell all your minority friends how you feel too if you have any. Let them know that all their safety concerns don't matter to you and that you wanna make America Great again whatever that means because no one knows.

~Kinggi~

Banned

i love this man of quality

Wait a minute.

"Trump will be one of the Greatest 45th Presidents of the United States ever Reply to Thread."

I'm no English expert, but is there supposed to be more than one 45th presidents of the US?
Of course he's gonna be the best 45th president, he's the only one who'll bear that title.

Branduil

I'll say it right now, with all due respect to democrats, I got nothing against them, in fact, we are all on the same team at the end of the day.

I'm not on the same team as you. I'm embarrassed to be the same species as you, let alone have the same nationality.

Engell

Wait a minute.

"Trump will be one of the Greatest 45th Presidents of the United States ever Reply to Thread."

I'm no English expert, but is there supposed to be more than one 45th presidents of the US?
Of course he's gonna be the best 45th president, he's the only one who'll bear that title.

title was changed by mod to include 45th.. we can't have titles stating fallacies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom