• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's first year as a president

Nightstick10

Neo Member
Whether his fault or not (and I lean towards not... Not completely, anyways) his presidency marks the end of representative republican democracy as we knew it. He is the culmination of a cockblocking Legislative Branch that stems back to Gingrich and Clinton. Gonna be executive orders and stacked supreme courts and district court of appeals from here on out.

We want strong borders. We want to give you laws. We want to stop the catch and release nonsense that goes on. You catch somebody and you release them. You know they're bad," Trump said. "They're pouring in from El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, all over. They're just pouring into our country."

He added, "These countries are not our friends, you know."

"We think they're our friends, and we send them massive aid, and I won't mention names right now," he continued. "But I look at these countries, I look at the numbers we send them, we send them massive aid and they're pouring drugs into ourcountry and they're laughing at us."

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/05/trump-central-american-countries-are-not-our-friends/

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Well thank god he had the tact not to mention any names right after he threw baseless accusations at four. That could have led to real diplomatic kerfuffle. Americans are lucky to have such a thoughtful statesman as their head of state.

grumpyGamer

I am making this post speaking from a point of view outside of the USA country,

How can you see him as president, when clearly he is not doing his job, stooping the environmental and green energy laws and budgets.
investing in oil and kissing the corporations while screwing the people.
Very openly being corrupt and has no problem with people seeing it.

It just baffles my mind how he got there and more importantly stayed there for this whole time, he is laughed at world level, are the "spectators"that wrong about the man he is.
Not meaning to insult just asking to educate myself if I am wrong

appaws

Banned

How can you see him as president, when clearly he is not doing his job, stooping the environmental and green energy laws and budgets.

It just baffles my mind how he got there and more importantly stayed there for this whole time, he is laughed at world level, are the "spectators"that wrong about the man he is.

He is doing the job he was elected to do. His constituency WANTS him to roll back green energy laws, which are seen as boondoggles and payouts of subsidies to politically favored interest groups.

I don't think he is "screwing the people." I'll take the tax cut my wife and I are getting, and I am thrilled to see him piss off the media and coastal elites, who have been sneering at the people of middle America for decades.

As far as corruption goes....the other choice being Hillary Clinton, a corrupt and war-mongering Wall Street shill, takes a lot of sting out of that argument.

Aaron D.

You got it about right.

Most here in the USA consider him an ignorant pathological liar, thin-skinned and narcissist bully.

An embarrassment and a national disgrace.

He only speaks to fear, bigotry and isolationism.

He'll ultimately be remembered as a blemish in US history.

Last edited:
I don't think he is "screwing the people." I'll take the tax cut my wife and I are getting, and I am thrilled to see him piss off the media and coastal elites, who have been sneering at the people of middle America for decades.

As a “coastal elite” from middle America with a hefty tax cut I can say we don’t sneer at you - you think too highly of yourself.

We know we are going to win sooner or later so we just want to make sure that the coasts (aka the engines that run the country) continue to stay progressive and on track. We dictate the culture.

Celebrate your petty short lived win though.

grumpyGamer

i can see from the posts that even you who live in the usa have different ideas about him, personally i loved obama as president, although i don't know if he was a good president, but i liked that he was thinking about the future and investing in green energy.
i believe the trump administration is ignoring the future and trying to bring back the past.

appaws

Banned
i can see from the posts that even you who live in the usa have different ideas about him, personally i loved obama as president, although i don't know if he was a good president, but i liked that he was thinking about the future and investing in green energy.
i believe the trump administration is ignoring the future and trying to bring back the past.

Green energy will come when the market dictates, especially if/when increasing scarcity of fossil fuels starts to drive prices up. Combine that with improvements in green technology and reduced costs, and there you have it.

Obama's "investments" in green energy amounted to taxpayer funded gifts to friends and supporters, and trying to artificially drive up the cost of fossil fuels with assaults on producers, driving up costs for working and middle class families.

Obama will be remembered as an important historical milestone...the first black president. I suspect that will come with a certain amount of undeserved fawning praise from the towers of lefty academia. More sober assessments will categorize him as a mediocre president at best, with no ability to work with legislators, even from his own party. (Although I also fear that most post-Bill Clinton presidents will be this way, including Trump, because that is the fruit of the partisan fracturing we see going on, and it will be true for all of them to a certain extent.)

grumpyGamer

What i see is, one president doing his thing, and the next undoing everything and doing his thing, and so on and so on, no real change for anyone, just bickering

appaws

Banned
What i see is, one president doing his thing, and the next undoing everything and doing his thing, and so on and so on, no real change for anyone, just bickering

Yeah, you are absolutely right. But that is to be expected, as it goes all the way back to Jefferson changing direction from the Federalists in 1801. The reason it seems magnified now is that we have allowed the powers of the presidency to far outgrow what they were originally intended to be. The president was supposed to be an executive with a fairly narrow focus. The office has evolved to be very different and Congress has taken on a much more deferential stance toward presidential leadership.

Maybe that was inevitable considering the realities of the modern world...?

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

i get that but, now the people lost all the power and president can openly "fuck of" everyone and we as in we the people are like well this is life lets ignore it.

you cant even say that you have democracy anymore, not even the illusion remains, and i believe this last part could en-globe the whole fucking planet

Green energy will come when the market dictates, especially if/when increasing scarcity of fossil fuels starts to drive prices up. Combine that with improvements in green technology and reduced costs, and there you have it.

Obama's "investments" in green energy amounted to taxpayer funded gifts to friends and supporters, and trying to artificially drive up the cost of fossil fuels with assaults on producers, driving up costs for working and middle class families.

Regardless, the success of the loan program with Recovery Act money encouraged the Obama administration to reopen solicitations for loan applications in 2013: $8 billion for "advanced fossil projects," including coal, gas and oil, especially employing technology to capture and store CO2; $4 billion for renewable and energy-efficiency projects; and $12 billion for advanced nuclear projects, including any efforts to build the first so-called small modular reactors in the U.S.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/obama-has-done-more-for-clean-energy-than-you-think/

There's so many technologies that you enjoy that came from government investment (reducing the risk), and not "oh, it happens when it happens". The time is already now, for an improved tomorrow. You take it forgranted.

NickFire

i get that but, now the people lost all the power and president can openly "fuck of" everyone and we as in we the people are like well this is life lets ignore it.

you cant even say that you have democracy anymore, not even the illusion remains, and i believe this last part could en-globe the whole fucking planet
Putting aside that we are a Republic, democracy is not lost just because your candidate lost an election. The people have the same power as before. Nothing has changed except for the political party who holds the presidency. And frankly, there is no evidence that more than 50% were actually in favor of the losing candidate. Were more than 50% of those who voted in her favor? Yes, absolutely. But how many people did not bother to vote in MA, NY, CA, CT, VT, etc., because they knew their vote did not matter a single bit in deep blue states? And how many didn't vote elsewhere for Trump because the medial convinced them the election was over before a single vote was cast? Those questions we will never know the answer to. And without answers, it is impossible to truthfully state what percentage of the country was in favor of either candidate.

BANGS

Banned
And frankly, there is no evidence that more than 50% were actually in favor of the losing candidate.
Exactly. As a New Yorker, I just straight up don't vote. It's pointless no matter which candidate I like. The only vote that could have possibly mattered is Gary Johnson just so that party could reach the 5% they need to become a "valid" party... and even that didn't come close to happening...

Trumps behavior is ridiculous, however it’s no different from before he was a candidate. I believe 62 million people voted for him. All these hyperbole about the sky is falling since he won is doing no one any favors...he’s done nothing that hasn’t been checked or challenged like a democracy does.

Also do we care what other people think about our president from different countries? I could give a fuck about the disastrous Merkel or Macaroon.

Thanks for you opinion?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Also do we care what other people think about our president from different countries? I could give a fuck about the disastrous Merkel or Macaroon.

Thanks for you opinion?

Err, yes?

A diversity of viewpoints and experiences is vital to gaining a better understanding of the world, the common problems we face, and the possibilities for addressing them. Getting the perspective from outsiders is incredible valuable in particular for discussions like those that happen on this forum.

Also, the US doesn't exist in a vacuum. We have responsibilities not just to ourselves, but also the rest of the world. And we're affected by the actions of other countries. You might argue that all that matters is how the political leaders of other nations feel because they're the only ones driving policy, but keep in mind that it's the people of those nations that elect their representatives, and that help dictate what policies are favorable for their politicians to pursue.

Case in point: the EU recently announced they won't make trade deals with nations who haven't ratified the Paris Agreement. We're the only nation left on the planet that doesn't plan on being involved, so it's clear that this policy is a reflection of how the people and leaders of the EU feel about specifically the US's -- and by extension, Trump's -- position on the matter.

rokkerkory

Trump praising Rob Porter today but ZERO mentions on the ex-wives and ex-gf being abused.

Our wonderful tone-deaf president.

Apdiddy

Trump has had a terrible first year and has shown he's ill-equipped for the office, the wrong choice in a leadership role, and petty and vindictive regarding his decision making process.

But then if you watch FOX news all day every day, you think he's doing great and there's 'no there there' regarding Russia (even though it doesn't make any sense for him to hinder the investigation like he has or work with Russia to secure his election like he has).

If you think what Trump is doing is great, I have some of his terrible water to sell you. Also, Trump is seemingly OK with one of his staff members beating the shit outta his ex-wife (since Trump choked Ivana anyway). So it's hard to look at Trump as being even remotely Presidential because that degrades the prestige of the office; but a good portion of the country is fine with that.

prag16

Banned
Trump has had a terrible first year and has shown he's ill-equipped for the office, the wrong choice in a leadership role, and petty and vindictive regarding his decision making process.

But then if you watch FOX news all day every day, you think he's doing great and there's 'no there there' regarding Russia (even though it doesn't make any sense for him to hinder the investigation like he has or work with Russia to secure his election like he has).

If you think what Trump is doing is great, I have some of his terrible water to sell you. Also, Trump is seemingly OK with one of his staff members beating the shit outta his ex-wife (since Trump choked Ivana anyway). So it's hard to look at Trump as being even remotely Presidential because that degrades the prestige of the office; but a good portion of the country is fine with that.
I don't like Trump, at all, but most of this is hyperbole motivated by partisanship. It doesn't further discourse.

Apdiddy

I don't like Trump, at all, but most of this is hyperbole motivated by partisanship. It doesn't further discourse.

But when you have Trump and all of his base not interested in discourse, then why try to further anything? You can’t fix stupid.

Trump is the beginning of the Republican Party turning more into fascism out of fear of angering their now-base. In the past, a politician physically attacking a reporter or being a sexual predator would get that person to drop out of the race; now it’s a badge of honor because they are “attacked by the mainstream media” and they stay in.

gatti-man

Considering every democrat I know thought Trump would tank the economy I'd say the DJIA having the strongest year in years is a huge success.

It's so disingenuous to credit Obama for a strong economy in December of 2017 when you would have happily blamed Trump if it was in the gutter.

fTcNQz6.png

I'm not happy he's the president, but he has had success and he's not literally Hitler.
The stock market is not the economy. Anyone that refers to it this way shouldn’t be taken seriously. The stock market had its best year ever because of flat real estate markets and it being the best option for investments. When the rich get extra money they don’t spend it, they put it to work in the market. Retail investors also has the biggest exposure in history to the market.

The economy is imo on the brink of another recession. Interest rates are moving up too soon, the dollar is seriously weak which is like a tax on the lower and middle class (everything gets expensive gas food cheap imports from China), our tax cuts are completely irresponsible and will run a minimum of 1 trillion debt per year for the net 4 years, our global sentiment is in the garbage can, we are cancelling or not partaking in trade agreements, and terrifs on solar panels is another terrible job killing idea.

There is a reason as soon as trump passed his first real economic legislation the market reacted so negatively. Historically this type of legislation is recessionary. Tax cuts for the rich are recessionary, Bond yields at 3% are terrible for the stock market and for new home/car purchases, the economy will slow down. GDP will flounder.

Trumps infrastructure plan encourages toll roads through a matching state funds offer which again is a tax on the poor and middle class. It seems like everything trump does is designed from a rich mans point of view and not an economists. In short I’ll be shocked if we aren’t in the gutter in two years.

Edit: and this isn’t just talk. I’m actually selling my house right now because I’m afraid of another real estate crash. No one will buy homes when loans are 5%+. The Fed has already said interest rates are a direct reaction to trumps rampant borrowing.

Last edited:

gatti-man

You must not be old enough to remember what happens when recessionary policy gets passed in our govt. 2008-2009 were entirely different from the Clinton or Obama years when you’re an adult out in the economy.

RPGCrazied

Oh look, he isn't going to release the Democratic memo. Oh gee, I wonder why. He cites its political and long. lol

He is a joke.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Oh look, he isn't going to release the Democratic memo. Oh gee, I wonder why. He cites its political and long. lol

He is a joke.
Trump reminds me of those kids in school that would swear up and down they have the new latest console and it was only out in Japan and that's why I didn't know about it... meanwhile I read EGM and knew about every console and would call them out on their bullshit but they would stick with their story regardless...

The stock market is not the economy. Anyone that refers to it this way shouldn’t be taken seriously. The stock market had its best year ever because of flat real estate markets and it being the best option for investments. When the rich get extra money they don’t spend it, they put it to work in the market. Retail investors also has the biggest exposure in history to the market.

The economy is imo on the brink of another recession. Interest rates are moving up too soon, the dollar is seriously weak which is like a tax on the lower and middle class (everything gets expensive gas food cheap imports from China), our tax cuts are completely irresponsible and will run a minimum of 1 trillion debt per year for the net 4 years, our global sentiment is in the garbage can, we are cancelling or not partaking in trade agreements, and terrifs on solar panels is another terrible job killing idea.

There is a reason as soon as trump passed his first real economic legislation the market reacted so negatively. Historically this type of legislation is recessionary. Tax cuts for the rich are recessionary, Bond yields at 3% are terrible for the stock market and for new home/car purchases, the economy will slow down. GDP will flounder.

Trumps infrastructure plan encourages toll roads through a matching state funds offer which again is a tax on the poor and middle class. It seems like everything trump does is designed from a rich mans point of view and not an economists. In short I’ll be shocked if we aren’t in the gutter in two years.

Edit: and this isn’t just talk. I’m actually selling my house right now because I’m afraid of another real estate crash. No one will buy homes when loans are 5%+. The Fed has already said interest rates are a direct reaction to trumps rampant borrowing.

Now we trust the Fed?

What about gdp? 6% growth, or is that Obama too? What about companies opening plants in America instead of oversees? Obama again?

Man Obama is great in his 9th year

David___

Banned

He is a joke.
The only truth to that statement might be that it's long, in which case he would actually need to not be golfing, campaigning,shit talking on twitter, or watching Fox news for his daily ego fellatio in order to look at it.

Last edited:

Worse case scenario, the GOP tax plan adds < 1% of growth due to standard assumptions about fiscal multipliers making it poor bang for buck. Tax cuts are not "recessionary". The economy doesn't slow down because the gov't decided to be more generous to the people and business.

Last edited:

mr2xxx

Banned
So the same person who was accusing Obama of being some Kenyan Muslim now has concerns about people being falsely accused.

Pomerlaw

As a “coastal elite” from middle America with a hefty tax cut I can say we don’t sneer at you - you think too highly of yourself.

We know we are going to win sooner or later so we just want to make sure that the coasts (aka the engines that run the country) continue to stay progressive and on track. We dictate the culture.

Celebrate your petty short lived win though.

Hmm they may get the last laugh with all this coal they put in the air, climate change and coastal floods you know?:D

... Oh yeah nevermind, #ChinaHoax

Last edited:

BlueAlpaca

But when you have Trump and all of his base not interested in discourse, then why try to further anything? You can’t fix stupid.

Trump is the beginning of the Republican Party turning more into fascism out of fear of angering their now-base. In the past, a politician physically attacking a reporter or being a sexual predator would get that person to drop out of the race; now it’s a badge of honor because they are “attacked by the mainstream media” and they stay in.

Speaking of fascism, I'm sure you were just as outraged last year when Castro died and saw the leftist's reaction?

When Trump starts behaving like one of the socialist totalitarians his enemies love so much, and Republicans wear t-shirts honoring mass murdering and torturing totalitarians, then you have some moral ground to talk about Republicans and fascism - assuming you're not a leftist in which case it'd be like ISIS condemning Trump's record on woman rights.

It really is surreal and highly entertaining watching all the left's hysteria and hypocrisy over Trump. The funniest has to be talk of 'treason.' People triggered by the American flag and sing god damn america in their churches are now all patriots! lol. The man certainly is a moron, a narcissistic and demented manchild, but he's nothing compared to the people that hate him. If only Americans elected Bernie and he invited Corbyn and his hamas and hezbollah friends to the white house, that'd be an America 'progressives' would be proud of. And maybe in the future it will happen, judging by demographics and the marxist takeover of America. It'll be a shame really, but Americans have nobody to blame but themselves.

mr2xxx

Banned
Speaking of fascism, I'm sure you were just as outraged last year when Castro died and saw the leftist's reaction?

When Trump starts behaving like one of the socialist totalitarians his enemies love so much, and Republicans wear t-shirts honoring mass murdering and torturing totalitarians, then you have some moral ground to talk about Republicans and fascism - assuming you're not a leftist in which case it'd be like ISIS condemning Trump's record on woman rights.

It really is surreal and highly entertaining watching all the left's hysteria and hypocrisy over Trump. The funniest has to be talk of 'treason.' People triggered by the American flag and sing god damn america in their churches are now all patriots! lol. The man certainly is a moron, a narcissistic and demented manchild, but he's nothing compared to the people that hate him. If only Americans elected Bernie and he invited Corbyn and his hamas and hezbollah friends to the white house, that'd be an America 'progressives' would be proud of. And maybe in the future it will happen, judging by demographics and the marxist takeover of America. It'll be a shame really, but Americans have nobody to blame but themselves.

Liberals can’t complain about Trump because of Che shirts and the opinions of some on Cuba? 👌

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I still find his wall thing ridiculous. A foreign country shouldn't be forced to pay for somebodies half assed measure. Other than that has actually done anything outside posting on twitter and making kids mad?

KINGMOKU

Spot on. The hyperbole from a portion of the country is disturbing to say the least. As someone in the center it reminds me of those on the other end of the spectrum when Obama got elected and called him "king Obama" and he was coming for your guns and "wanted to kill Christians because he was a muslim".

I sincerely hope the absolute loons on the left know how normal Americans view them and why they lost so many elections in the Governor seats, congress, and the white house.

They viewed trump as a push back against extremism. That's why he won, plain and simple. Now that he's president I'm hearing hyperbole that makes me actually laugh when I see/read it as all its going to do is lead to a second term.

Nazi, Authoritarian, Russian puppet, e.t.c Those terms are so extreme, it makes me question people critical thinking skills.

I mean, where's the proof of this exactly? Troops in the street rounding up who? Political assassinations, jailing opponents, signing bills taking away constitutional rights?

Nope. Just a different president who ran under a(R) because the field was a joke, and the Dems wouldn't have him.

All of the hyperbole on the left has made the democratic party look off balance now. Its not a good look. Oh and that crumbs comment was one of the dumbest things that could have been said, and will be brought up ad nauseam for a ton of elections. Good job Pelosi. Its the new deplorables and that was a real factor in trump getting elected.

Stop the hyperbole. Enough is enough.

Just another president signing bills, and trying to run the country. His mouth is big, and he never knows when to shut the hell up, but his tax cut was great for me and mine and I agree on immigration. I just wish he wasn't so off the cuff and his Twitter use is childish. Hate hate hate that about him.

his tax cut was great for me and mine
Is this a "fuck you, I got mine" ? Trump is awful. His "muslim ban" failed (or is in the process or failing) his transgender ban failed (or is in the process or failing) his stupid wall is a failure. The republicans have no leg to stand on on anything now because the next time a democrat gets in office all they have to do is point at all the lies they let him tell, and all the political normalities they gave him a pass on.

You think democrats winning all over the place in special elections isn't fortelling a slaughter in in 2018 and 2020? You think that all the dummies that were foolish enough to sit out in 2016 because Hillary wasn't good enough aren't mobilized now because they let that shitshow win the presidency by mere thousands of votes? lol.

BANGS

Banned
I still find his wall thing ridiculous. A foreign country shouldn't be forced to pay for somebodies half assed measure. Other than that has actually done anything outside posting on twitter and making kids mad?
I honestly don't understand how anybody took that claim seriously... Mexico loves sending people here and they love persecuting people who cross from south of THEIR border... there's no way they're paying for a wall...

Top Bottom