• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's lawyer to file complaint against Comey over memos

Dalek

Trump's lawyer to file complaint against Comey over memos

President Donald Trump's outside attorney plans to file a complaint against former FBI Director James Comey with the Justice Department Inspector General and the Senate judiciary committee, two sources with knowledge of the situation told CNN.

The complaint will focus on Comey's testimony that he gave a friend the content of memos about his conversations with Trump and asked the friend to then give that information to a reporter. Comey said Friday that he gave the friend -- later identified as Daniel Richman, a longtime Comey confidante and Columbia University professor -- the information after Trump tweeted that he may have tapes of his conversations with the fired FBI director.

"My judgment was I needed to get that out into the public square. So I asked a friend of mine to share the content of the memo with a reporter," Comes said Thursday.

It is unclear when Trump's attorney, Marc Kasowitz, will file the complaints, but the source said they are actively exploring their options.

Republicans have looked to discredit Comey by calling him a "leaker" because of the way he disseminated the information about Trump.

Comey said Thursday that the memos he wrote were unclassified. Disseminating unclassified information is generally not considered leaking and the President did not assert executive privilege over Comey's testimony.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

Keep diggin that hole.

C.Mongler

"Yes, I would like to submit a formal complaint to the committee that Mr. Comey was very very mean to the very esteemed and highly regarded President Donald Trump. Thank you."

cackhyena

It's unclassified memories of accounts written down by a fucking citizen. You can't do anything about it you orange turd. Suck Comey's balls.

geomon

Complaint for what? He's a private citizen who gave away his private notes about conversations he had with the King of Shitheads. Maybe if KOS hadn't fired him, he'd have a point.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Another rope-a-dope by Comey, provoke Trump and his legal team in his testimony, remind everyone about Trump's claim to have tapes, paint him as a liar, provide him with an opportunity to prove his lying status when he can't / won't provide those tapes.

They will look at options (or say they are) - then do nothing, because the president is a liar, and either the tapes do not exist or they do not support his position.

People keep going on about 4D chess etc. in politics, now here's a smart, non-political individual showing you just how 4D chess is really played, and the moron on the other side of the board is eating crayons.

Malvolio

What a bizarre progression in that article. Headline claims he will file. Then it mentions that he plans to file. Then it says it's unclear if they will file. Wtf?

Lord Fagan

With such casual disregard for the basics of what has been said and done publicly so far, I get the impression that Kasowitz and probably Trump himself see the endgame with Comey as some kind of out of court settlement, or something.

MisterR

Trump's lawyer, much like Trump has no idea what he's doing. He has no experience in these matters.

Tripon

How is this supposed to discredit him? You discredit someone by pointing out what they said is a lie
Trump puts loyalty above all else. Come proved he wasn't loyal. Of course, Trump demands things that he himself won't ever do.

Fox318

Weren't the documents unclassified and wouldn't the Whistleblower Protection Act cover his actions anyway?

This is a PR move to control the narrative.

Said it in the other thread, but this is PR. They want the headline (we're going after the leaker!) without the actual consequences.

JVIDICAN

Jesus Christ I cant wait until this clown show of an administration is a distant bad memory..

I'm ready to "dis-own" any family members defending this shit at this point.😑

Jesus Christ I cant wait until this clown show of an administration is a distant bad memory..

I'm ready to "dis-own" any family members defending this shit at this point.😑

Yea man you and me both. This def has put a strain on my relationship with my parents.

Dyle

Yes, because the Trump administration would never, ever leak unclassified information to the press
/s

This seems like Trump and his lawyers are trying to grip onto whatever semi-positive spin of Comey's testimony they can. Since Trump will never in a million years take the stand, the perjury argument is completely toothless, so I suppose this is the best argument they've got. I don't see it working out for them beyond the weekend news cycle though, especially given what GOP senators have said about the validity of Comey's testimony. They'll need to find some other excuse/distraction soon

Steejee

They won't file crap. They'll just threaten to do it to make some news then never follow up on it. They know they have nothing.

After all, we're still waiting on Trump to sue all those women who accused him of sexual misconduct.

Sephzilla

This totally reeks of Trump trying to do some big-business bluff move. Comey won't fall for that bluff because he's clearly too damn smart.

Yea man you and me both. This def has put a strain on my relationship with my parents.
Sorry to hear that. I've lost so called friends behind this. I really don't care about losing them that much because they are easily replaceable. But parents are totally different. Hope things can work out later.

As for his lawyer, he will do nothing but make empty threats as all ways.

What does file a complaint even mean? Do we have a national customer service department you file complaints with? I've never heard of this.

Help clear this up for me!

Are the memos even classified? If they aren't classified, is it even a leak? Seems to me that whatever isn't classified could be published in his damn memoir if he wanted, and definitely could be submitted to the media, right?

Maybe the proper lanes apply when you're director, but as a private citizen is he even in any real danger?

I think there were tapes.

Trump and the GoP were trying to get Comey to say the President was under investigation, by denying it constantly. Kinda baiting him into it. If Comey has said yes, that Trump was under investigation, then the White House would have released a tape of their conversation where he told Trump he wasn't directly under investigation. They would have done that to discredit Comey, to make him look like a liar, and throw the whole investigation out.

But Comey didn't take the bait, and denied that Trump was ever directly under investigation. So now the White House has to sit on or bury any tapes they may have had - which actually hurts Trump since he can't prove Comey is lying and Comey is much more credible for his word than Trump is.

And besides, if there is a tape where Trump is recorded saying "I hope you can drop this Flynn thing", then it's physical evidence of Obstruction of Justice and he incriminates himself.

We can only hope a staffer got a hold of the tapes and made copies, if they ever existed in the first place.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think the GOP plan is pretty clear here:

1) Accuse Comey of being a leaker.
2) Take credit for finding "one of the leakers."
3) Ignore and never address the fact that none of it was classified information.
4) Have right-wing media claim victory on a daily basis.

Top Bottom