• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's lawyer to file complaint against Comey over memos

KingV

What does file a complaint even mean? Do we have a national customer service department you file complaints with? I've never heard of this.

I read an article saying it was going to be with DOJ IG.

I'm not sure if they have any jurisdiction over a former employee.

Geist-

Watch as this turns into a multi-year investigation by Republicans that ultimately results in millions of dollars in wasted taxpayer money and no conviction.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
"A guy opens his newspaper and reads about a leak and you think that of me? No...I am the one who leaks."

Help clear this up for me!

Are the memos even classified? If they aren't classified, is it even a leak? Seems to me that whatever isn't classified could be published in his damn memoir if he wanted, and definitely could be submitted to the media, right?

Maybe the proper lanes apply when you're director, but as a private citizen is he even in any real danger?

Comey deliberately wrote the memos so that they did not contain any classified information. He knew that there was a chance that they could be to prove his word against Trump's. And he was 100% right.

He also "leaked" them after had been fired to a friend, who then gave them to the media, which protects him even more.

Does Trump honestly think that the former Director of FBI doesn't know how to properly leak things?

Didn't his legal team already assert that the content of the conversations was false? How can it be a leak and bullshit at the same time?

"The leaks are real, but the news is fake" won't work in a courtroom.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's really wonderful how Comey (and Mueller) are clearly just so much fucking smarter than Trump and his flock of cronies.

DNAbro

Didn't his legal team already assert that the content of the conversations was false? How can it be a leak and bullshit at the same time?

"The leaks are real, but the news is fake" won't work in a courtroom.

Trump is the same person calling his ban, "not a ban." while saying it's a ban. He doesn't surround himself with smart people. He surrounds himself with people who agree with him no matter what.

Elandyll

Banned
The memos aren't classified. Comey made sure of that.

Even if Comey handed a FBI print of the memos, I wouldn't be sure it would classify as a "leak" (Collins seems to think it would), but if Comey merely 'told' his friend of the content of the memo without handing any document, it would just amount to someone sharing their memories of an event with a friend.

Aka nothingburger.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My favorite part of this?

It's another attack on Comey that is going to further widen the rift between Trump and the intelligence community.

Kinyou

Has anyone from Trump's team even pointed out which specific information​ is supposed to be classified?

Screen-Shot-2017-02-09-at-7.20.17-PM.png

Is that real?

Republicans have looked to discredit Comey by calling him a "leaker" because of the way he disseminated the information about Trump.

I don't follow. Discredit means to cast doubt on his accusations, but if he's a leaker that means that what was leaked was true. Donny and the rest of the GOP should just STFU and fuck off

They know that.

It's about controlling public perception... It's actually pretty savvy.

No, it really isn't, at all. Everyone with a brain knows it's fucking stupid, and the people who don't realize that believe everything Trump says anyway. All this does it make him look like even more of an idiot

Comey was the FBI director and I seriously doubt he would have released the information to the press knowing it would be put him in legal trouble. It's just the incompetent adminstration displaying another example of incompetence that will only hurt Trump more.

DMczaf

It feels like Trump and his legal team are so used to dealing with people who do not fully understand law and take advantage of that, and now they are dealing with someone who was born in Law. Molded by it.

Now they don't know how to deal with him.

MIMIC

Banned
What does file a complaint even mean? Do we have a national customer service department you file complaints with? I've never heard of this.

They're technically called "pleadings." It's basically how you officially tell someone "I'm suing you."

Within the pleadings is the "complaint," which states the grounds of the jurisdiction (aka can this court hear this case?), a short statement of your claim (aka what are you suing for), and a demand for relief (aka what do you want the court to do about it?)

What a bizarre progression in that article. Headline claims he will file. Then it mentions that he plans to file. Then it says it's unclear if they will file. Wtf?

Headlines... Gotta love em

If 3 people who just skimmed the article without reading it in it's entirety, one could believe he is in the process of filling, one could believe he plans to file, and one could believe he isn't sure he will file.

Could job writer

thill1985

Banned
I don't follow. Discredit means to cast doubt on his accusations, but if he's a leaker that means that what was leaked was true. Donny and the rest of the GOP should just STFU and fuck off

That part there where you had one thought and then combined it with a follow up thought....that's one step too far. If ya wanna understand Trump's 'genius' ya can only do one thought at a time!

Seriously though, this lawyer really does come off as comically dumb for his position. He seems eager to pile up embarrassing legal losses over things he has no business shoving into a courtroom in the first place.

Can all those stubborn 'nothing will come of this' drive-by posters just hop over here? Because it's actually warranted in this thread.

Top Bottom