• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truth & Trolls |OT| The Brothers Were Right

inm8num2

The look on Avellone's face says it all.

6AhszLe.png

I was unable to intuit or channel what Susan was thinking at that moment due to my highly limited entrepreneurial abilities.

Yet you've been predicting her every move up until now... ;-) You're way too modest about your entrepreneurial abilities, buddy. :)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Your Kickstarter dollars at work.

Seriously, this is fucked up beyond all recognition. Either this is the work of a 9 year old with little knowledge or skill, in her free time, using free tools, in which case $24k was used on nothing, or the money was used to pay others to create the parts of the project Kenzie wasn't able to create on her own, in which case it's fraud.

Though what it appears to be is a project made by others based on a design by a nine year old, made to look like it was created entirely by a nine year old, which makes it lazy fraud.

So, it sounds like Avellone was the only one on the Kickstarter panel not bitching about Kickstarter.

Instead, you know, actually trying to talk about the process.

So, it sounds like Avellone was the only one on the Kickstarter panel not bitching about Kickstarter.

The others are just a bunch of amateurs too. Like the guy from Cards Against Humanity... how can you not know beforehand what your physical rewards are going to cost you? Seriously, that's just being lazy. Spend a mere 5 minutes of your busy life at the post office and you'll know.

And if Brenda Romero doesn't like 1-dollar-complainers, maybe she should try to land a deal with a publisher about her questionable game ideas instead. They will never bitch about it, I'm sure.

And Susan is just shameless, but we already knew that.

inm8num2

Yea, it's like the website that had poorly defined terms of service then later abandoned it's few principles of crowdfunding was still a disservice to Susan because she only got $25k and was asked all kinds of mean questions like, "What are you doing with that money?"

Susan @fundher just followed me on twitter. haha.
don't what what i should to do with that.

You shouldn't do anything with that. She's now officially your friend.

Or maybe she just registered dmprince.com and will try to sell it to you sooner or later. Or reward you for your loyalty with a discount on a Keep Up! T-shirt. ;-)

Edit: were you following her first, btw? Because some people just follow you, in the hopes that you'd follow them, in order to boost their number of followers.

You shouldn't do anything with that. She's now officially your friend.

Or maybe she just registered dmprince.com and will try to sell it to you sooner or later. Or reward you for your loyalty with a discount on a Keep Up! T-shirt. ;-)

she really can't do anything with dmprince. name is so badly soiled. all it'll do is mess up her reputation ;P

EDIT: no. never followed her lol. and won't. but if i do she might DM me. decision decision.

also tempted to post Message RPG maker FB page and give them the beta link.

she really can't do anything with dmprince. name is so badly soiled. all it'll do is mess up her reputation ;P

EDIT: no. never followed her lol. and won't. but if i do she might DM me. decision decision.

also tempted to post Message RPG maker FB page and give them the beta link.

Might also be she just thinks you're hot. Who knows? ;-)

Why would you want to link the beta to RPGMaker?

Might also be she just thinks you're hot. Who knows? ;-)

Why would you want to link the beta to RPGMaker?

allow them to see the program be put to good use and how far along she's come since the last comment about her during the KS project. but i won't. just going to advertise the game out.

TomPUH

Susan @fundher just followed me on twitter. haha.
don't what what i should to do with that.

If you wouldn't mind playing a little game, I'd suggest saying something on twitter along the lines of:

Gonna make my own webhosting website! Exciting times!

I'm curious if you receive any messages shortly after.

... how can you not know beforehand what your physical rewards are going to cost you? Seriously, that's just being lazy. Spend a mere 5 minutes of your busy life at the post office

It's depressing how many people on Kickstarter earnestly express that they never thought about how much rewards would actually cost to be made.

It's seriously fucking depressing. It's a parade that never stops.

We get some hilarious updates out of it, though.

I lol'ed!

It's depressing how many people on Kickstarter earnestly express that they never thought about how much rewards would actually cost to be made.

It's seriously fucking depressing. It's a parade that never stops.

We get some hilarious updates out of it, though.

Well, that's understandable in some cases, there's a lot of hobbyists out there who have no clue what they're getting into. But I still think it's just lazy.

And in Susan's case, she's just lying about all of it.

Some troll pestering Susan on Twitter. (I kid. ;-))

Sadly she asks the wrong question. Should've asked: "How much did you need @ 10 yrs old to make, test, revise & launch ur 1st game?" :)

2Bw4uVH.jpg

inm8num2

I haven't backed a KS since Torment, just before this clusterfuck came to light.

I probably wouldn't have backed anything since then anyway, as I've been pretty selective. Still, an interesting coincidence.

I haven't backed a KS since Torment, just before this clusterfuck came to light.

I probably wouldn't have backed anything since then anyway, as I've been pretty selective. Still, an interesting coincidence.

Same here. I don't know whether it's a Kickstarter fatigue that's kicked in already, but I was selective already and haven't felt compelled to back anymore projects since, although I did find the Inafune one pretty interesting for example.

And likewise don't know if it's specifically this train wreck that soured me on KS.

Shaneus

I doubt I'll ever back anything that involves any kind of software again. I'm still going to "donate" towards things like documentaries and perhaps the occasional thing I'm heavily invested in (like Pinball Arcade licensed tables) but that'd be it. Too much has happened to things I've backed in the past (Carmageddon getting a massive backing from an investor well after the KS ended, Double Fine running over time and budget etc.) to feel confident about anything again. It's easier to wait for the thing to get released and buy it (hell, the DLC you miss out on you could probably buy with the interest saved from backing in the first place) and if it doesn't get made, so be it.

malfcn

I was going to stay out of this now but:

The Art Factory about 5 hours ago

Dear Eli, the install works fine, there are a few extra extraneous file links.. just install the obvious one.. it will likely work and takes 30 minutes to download... if you install the obvious file and it doesn't work.. post here and i'll try to figure out the issue immediately... it does work.. it does work.. so do not accept fail install.. there is a way to make this sublime child's work programming take over your computer and make it more beautiful.. it does work.. then you get hungry for cookies.. looking for the kitchen.. just a little warning in advance.. install this software.. look for cookies... hilarious..

mclem

Some troll pestering Susan on Twitter. (I kid. ;-))

Sadly she asks the wrong question. Should've asked: "How much did you need @ 10 yrs old to make, test, revise & launch ur 1st game?" :)

2Bw4uVH.jpg

I believe I was seven. I used GAC on the Spectrum. And it was an awful thing where the PC wandered through a zoo.

Took me a weekend and then I lost the tape.

It's easier to wait for the thing to get released and buy it (hell, the DLC you miss out on you could probably buy with the interest saved from backing in the first place) and if it doesn't get made, so be it.
It is easier, yes, but it's... sort of the reason I like Kickstarter, because kickstarters aren't constrained by the need to ultimately be profit-making, which I think is too restrictive in the grander scheme of things. Hence my willingness to take on a proportionate quantity of risk.

It is easier, yes, but it's... sort of the reason I like Kickstarter, because kickstarters aren't constrained by the need to ultimately be profit-making, which I think is too restrictive in the grander scheme of things. Hence my willingness to take on a proportionate quantity of risk.

Well ofcourse, sadly (because there's so much easy money involved) more and more people like Susan, who are only interested in said profit-making, have jumped in.

Yay! Another update... (pictures on the link)

Clearly they're planning to release more software now that they "mastered software development".

And what's with all the brand name dropping in every single update. Do they get paid for that too?

Susan Wilson said:
48 Hours in Beta & IndieCade Highlights

Thanks so much to all who've play tested so far. I'm going to shut down the existing beta Friday at 5pm Eastern Time so I can get a new release out Monday or Tuesday. So if you haven't played but want to be part of the first wave of feedback, don't wait too long.

So far about 30 of you have been AMAZING with your feedback. I'm new at this. Is it okay to publicize their names or even add them into the game in their own little tavern or something so they're immortalized forever in the game? Also, I wanted to remind you to look for surprises in the final release EVEN if you do play test the beta because my Dad and I decided to withhold some fun things from the beta.

And now I thought I'd share a few of the highlights at IndieCade. I've included a few pictures (including one of me on the crowdfunding panel) and some other cool stuff I can blog on later (yes, I'm going to start blogging):

1. Mark Morrison at Unity was super helpful. He got that I used RPG Maker b/c Unity's a little hard for a 9 year old. But he tracked down Matt McDonald from Axis Game Factory & Heavy Water Studios who's essentially developed drag & drop functionality that's like Minecraft only in 3D and on steroids. Drag & drop functionality makes it easy and super fast to create something from nothing! I'm dying to use it but I'm even more into Truth & Trolls so I told my parents they could make their own apps now as long as they were done under my company name. Isn't that awesome?

2. I was blown away by the guys (especially @Kiwi) from Leap Motion. I won't try to explain their technology and while it's great for gaming, it's also allowing doctors to do remote surgeries and could even help people with Parkinson steady their shaking hands to perform the tasks we take for granted (like dialing a phone). Check it out because YOU should build something with it NOW. The Leap Motion device is only $79.99 at Best Buy and is embedded in the next HP Envy.

3. My brothers loved Oculus. Chase was terrified by some scary game and they both loved some game where you act like an elephant and hit things with your trunk so it looks ridiculous to anyone watching which means I took pix to torture them with later.

Spwn

I realize it's confusing, but this is actually a 43yo 10 year old girl. She might even be 44 by now.

I know, been following this stuff from the very beginning. Boycotted Kickstarter until Cosmic Star Heroine project launched as well because of this. ;)

Shaneus

Yay! Another update... (pictures on the link)

Clearly they're planning to release more software now that they "mastered software development".

And what's with all the brand name dropping in every single update. Do they get paid for that too?
I love how there's absolutely no way that sounds like a 9-year-old wrote that. At all. Or even dictated it with some creative license from the person typing it.

Shameful.

The Art Factory Comment is the most insane/greatest thing ever. This is the project that keeps on giving.

Is someone here actually TAF and running the long con?

Vibranium

Banned
The look on Avellone's face says it all.

6AhszLe.png

Oh Chris, never change... too bad he didn't speak up during the panel against Susan, he's a classy guy though who would never shame a 9 year old girl (integrity her mother doesn't have). It's not like Romero or Wilson badmouthing Avellone would be a big story though, he's respected all over the industry.

inm8num2

I like how Susan trickles in those subtle spelling mistakes she thinks 10-year-olds make.

"Note that my mom and I are note laying around sleeping in Chicago at 10am!"

Also,

The difference between boys & girls in an airport! At one point, they slept on the floor. My Mom & I pretended we didn't know them!

Susan is really in touch with that youth humor. :p

Shaneus

Why are those brothers asleep? Shouldn't they be busy deriding their little sister for not being able to make a game? Or are they exhausted from all the deriding they were doing?

inm8num2

Why are those brothers asleep? Shouldn't they be busy deriding their little sister for not being able to make a game? Or are they exhausted from all the deriding they were doing?

They just pulled two straight all-nighters playing through Truth & Trolls.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Seriously, this is fucked up beyond all recognition. Either this is the work of a 9 year old with little knowledge or skill, in her free time, using free tools, in which case $24k was used on nothing, or the money was used to pay others to create the parts of the project Kenzie wasn't able to create on her own, in which case it's fraud.

Though what it appears to be is a project made by others based on a design by a nine year old, made to look like it was created entirely by a nine year old, which makes it lazy fraud.

I doubt I'll ever back anything that involves any kind of software again. I'm still going to "donate" towards things like documentaries and perhaps the occasional thing I'm heavily invested in (like Pinball Arcade licensed tables) but that'd be it. Too much has happened to things I've backed in the past (Carmageddon getting a massive backing from an investor well after the KS ended, Double Fine running over time and budget etc.) to feel confident about anything again. It's easier to wait for the thing to get released and buy it (hell, the DLC you miss out on you could probably buy with the interest saved from backing in the first place) and if it doesn't get made, so be it.
Don't you guys think this is the wrong thing about this whole ordeal to get worked up about? Even with all the money, a 9 year old is still going to make an uninformed game no matter how much you toss at the project.

Shaneus

Don't you guys think this is the wrong thing about this whole ordeal to get worked up about? Even with all the money, a 9 year old is still going to make an uninformed game no matter how much you toss at the project.
Eh, it's not specifically this project that's been the straw that broke the camel's back, it's just been the wake-up call to be a little more wary on future KS projects (and reflect on some in the past that I should/not have backed.

Top Bottom