• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
This is pure bullshit. The games with the largest concurrent users are all on PC. World of Tanks, League of Legends, and WoW. See on PC the games that require servers monetize those servers directly, and don't lock you out of some unrelated Peer 2 Peer game that has no server overhead just to justify the fee.
Didn't realize WOW was free to play online. And other games use the freemium model. WAY different than a game like COD. You don't need real money to unlock a gun or a killstreak in COD.
Activision would incur huge costs if they decided to use dedicated servers for consoles.

bidguy

Banned
You mad because you cant afford a Xbox One.

Here: Have some cake to calm your nerves, bad boy

Birthday-Cake-hd-wallpaper.jpg

This is me:

703px-Scar.jpg

lol

i think youre barking at the wrong tree ^^

Voror

Someone's got a second account and decided to troll using it as long as he can before getting banned lol.

I've never gotten the thought process that goes into doing something like that. All cases I've seen of it on other forums always led to both accounts being banned.

aristotle

Edit: Forgot to add the part about the unlimited verbiage:

Yes, naturally if you managed to store 100's of GB of save data, I'm sure MS would cut you off and say, "Hey pal, we had to limit you" But let's be realistic, who is going to be saving that much uniquedata? Also, no reason to hurl insults just because I can see something possibly positive on Xbox One.

I'm sure we'll find out more come August.

Uh I don't mean to jump in or anything but do you actually think each account is storing the GBs of info for that account? I mean come on. You should realize all it does store is a flag for that game in a simple list. Much like the 360 & PS3 lists now for your download history. It would completely idiotic to store all the GBs of info for every single account. So stupid.

dionysus

Yaldog
Didn't realize WOW was free to play online. And other games use the freemium model. WAY different than a game like COD. You don't need real money to unlock a gun or a killstreak in COD.
Activision would incur huge costs if they decided to use dedicated servers for consoles.

I wasn't arguing those games were free. You said console games couldn't use dedicated servers because they have a large player base. I pointed out that the biggest online games all use dedicated servers, I didn't say they were free. The difference between consoles and PC is that the games with the high upkeep costs charge their consumers directly and don't lock out unrelated no cost peer 2 peer games behind a paywall.

You know what will end up happening. Console games with dedicated servers will also monetize their player base directly (subscription, f2p, etc.) and also still have the Live PSN fees on top of that. (Sony seems to be allowing f2p games to avoid the PSN fee, I bet because they are going to collect a percentage of the microtransactions.) Peer 2 peer games will just have the Live, PSN fees.

Perkel

Banned
No money left on the table and impactful 'pricedrops' + redesigns of the system.

Smart strategy, the pr team screwed up big time delivering though, policy was too much/too fast of a change for the masses.

Dude. Reason why box is so big is because of heat generated and engineering in first place and nothing absolutely nothing else.
Absolutely no one in industry create big box because of those reasons.

Creating big box means BOM will be higher something that every company wants to avoid. Creating big box because well it is expensive console it is completely mental.

cchum

Dude. Reason why box is so big is because of heat generated and engineering in first place and nothing absolutely nothing else.
Absolutely no one in industry create big box because of those reasons.

Creating big box means BOM will be higher something that every company wants to avoid. Creating big box because well it is expensive console it is completely mental.

Bigger boxes also mean higher transport cost. AKA trailer trucks, planes etc can fit less allocation of physical goods per fixed area.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
You mad because you cant afford a Xbox One.

Here: Have some cake to calm your nerves, bad boy

http://wallpaperspoints.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Birthday-Cake-hd-wallpaper.jpg[IMG]

This is me:

[IMG]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091225230240/lionking/images/6/68/703px-Scar.jpg

You know what happened to Scar in the Lion King, right?

Xater

maybe he didn't...

Telepathy
Banned

And another junior gone. I would like to get some stats on how many juniors were banned during E3 week. They must have fallen like flies. I was avoiding GAF a lot because of how unstable it was.

I think they deliberately went with such a big box and the high price for being able to drop the price and release smaller SKUs on a yearly basis all the way through the generation. They have seen the impact a new SKU has with the Slim. Being able to do so constantly enables higher yearly sales and they have some flexibility on pricing as well (like after the Slim 360 average SKU price actually went up to $379). That and they obviously don't want to lose money on the hardware and instead make a healthy profit on that already. iPads sell better than comparable Android devices despite the premium price. Maybe even because of the premium price tag, more expensive = better in a lot of people's minds.
You apologists are bordering on insane behavior.
Yep, it's just odd at this point. I've seen some of the most convoluted arguments. The DRM was necessary for all of this awesome sharing they wanted you to do, while saving the industry from used games because they're killing developers. Sony wanted to as well, but don't have the software prowess. No yield problems, Phil Spencer said so. Why would he lie? Oh, and something something infinite power of the cloud will make the system 3x, 6x 10x more powerful.

Now: The huge box is because they're clever and will do yearly refreshes and price drops. It's genius.

Do people actually think marginally smaller redesigns in themselves move systems?

The PS3 Slim design didn't move systems, the $299 price point did.
The PS3 Ugly design isn't moving systems, the 12GB budget model is what's helping to stem Y/Y declines in Europe.
The Xbox 360S aesthetic design wasn't what helped the 360 sell, it was finally shaking the RROD image with a new model.
The newer Wii design didn't help sales performance.
This new smaller 360 will have no impact on sales without a meaningful price drop.

Microsoft didn't design a big-assed box with a shit-ton of vents because they want to do yearly redesigns. They did it because they 1) needed to make sure that there weren't overheating and/or reliability issues - because a second RROD fiasco would probably permanently tarnish their hardware reputation - and, I believe someone may have mentioned in a different thread 2) it likely makes their box simpler (and cheaper) to manufacture.

You know what will end up happening. Console games with dedicated servers will also monetize their player base directly (subscription, f2p, etc.) and also still have the Live PSN fees on top of that. (Sony seems to be allowing f2p games to avoid the PSN fee, I bet because they are going to collect a percentage of the microtransactions.) Peer 2 peer games will just have the Live, PSN fees.

To my knowledge, the bolded is exactly how it works since the Micro Transactions on Sony consoles have to be purchased through the PSN store.

It's just odd at this point. The DRM was necessary for all of this awesome sharing they wanted you to do, while saving the industry from used games because they're killing developers. Sony wanted to as well, but don't have the software prowess. The huge box is because they're clever and will do yearly refreshes and price drops. No yield problems, Phil Spencer said so. Why would he lie? Oh, and something something infinite power of the cloud.

Do people actually think marginally smaller redesigns in themselves move systems?

The PS3 Ugly design isn't moving systems, the 12GB budget model is what's helping to stem Y/Y declines in Europe.
The Xbox 360S aesthetic design wasn't what helped the 360 sell, it was finally shaking the RROD image with a new model.
This new smaller 360 will have no impact on sales without a meaningful price drop.

Microsoft didn't design a big-assed box with a shit-ton of vents because they want to do yearly redesigns. They did it because they 1) needed to make sure that there weren't overheating and/or reliability issues - because a second RROD fiasco would probably permanently tarnish their hardware reputation - and, I believe someone may have mentioned in a different thread 2) it likely makes their box simpler (and cheaper) to manufacture.

What in the world??!?!

Edit: Upon rereading I think I mistook your sarcasm for actual opinion. Because that's how crazy some opinions have gotten.

Phawx

Uh I don't mean to jump in or anything but do you actually think each account is storing the GBs of info for that account? I mean come on. You should realize all it does store is a flag for that game in a simple list. Much like the 360 & PS3 lists now for your download history. It would completely idiotic to store all the GBs of info for every single account. So stupid.

Did you notice that I bolded the unique data part?

aristotle

Did you notice that I bolded the unique data part?

Nope. I blame the new pro dark theme which has weird bold & italics. Anyways, MS saying it's unlimited still doesn't mean much. I have over 2800+ items saved in my DL history on PSN. I doubt my list even takes up 5 megs on their server. The size (re:unlimited) of your history/download list/game library is pretty inconsequential.

GodofWine

Creating big box means BOM will bel higher something that every company wants to avoid. Creating big box because well it is expensive console it is completely mental.

It also effects logistics, over the course of millions of units you are going to require a lot more packaging, a lot more truckloads or containers to move your product from factory to ship to warehouse to stores.

And they have to pack in the camera too.

eastmen

Banned
Nope. I blame the new pro dark theme which has weird bold & italics. Anyways, MS saying it's unlimited still doesn't mean much. I have over 2800+ items saved in my DL history on PSN. I doubt my list even takes up 5 megs on their server. The size (re:unlimited) of your history/download list/game library is pretty inconsequential.

well if the skyrim guy's programed it , it would most likely take up petabytes of data.

So there is that

FeiRR

Banned
Bottom line, People can manipulate their connection. Games have yet to automatically handle this well and even if it doesn't wind up giving host advantage, he can grief people to the point of them just dropping out by forcing the game to try and find a new host.
So you're saying all that investment in dedicated servers is because of a small percentage of cheaters who bothered to assemble a lag switch and are trolling other players with it? I say I don't believe it. I've seen people do that online in both P2P and server environments. It works to a certain extend but a well moderated community will always hunt them down and ban them, with dedi's or not. I also don't believe all games will have dedicated server hosting. For most titles, the cloud will serve matchmaking, saves, profiles and that's it.

However, if it turns out that dedicated games aren't for every MP game on Xbox One then for sure PS+ is the best service.
There's no use comparing PS+ game offers with MP features like dedicated servers. I know a lot of people who never play MP and welcome all those games. They will pay for PS+ next gen and never connect to MP anyway. Of course I'm not saying dedicated servers are a bad thing, I enjoy them very much. I just don't buy all this "let's go crazy, dedi's for your Peggle P2P, too!" thing.

Yes, naturally if you managed to store 100's of GB of save data, I'm sure MS would cut you off and say, "Hey pal, we had to limit you" But let's be realistic, who is going to be saving that much uniquedata?
Nobody. That's the whole point. It's just another marketing cheat.

gohepcat

Banned
Yep, it's just odd at this point. I've seen some of the most convoluted arguments. The DRM was necessary for all of this awesome sharing they wanted you to do, while saving the industry from used games because they're killing developers. Sony wanted to as well, but don't have the software prowess. No yield problems, Phil Spencer said so. Why would he lie? Oh, and something something infinite power of the cloud will make the system 3x, 6x 10x more powerful.

Now: The huge box is because they're clever and will do yearly refreshes and price drops. It's genius.

The original Xbox was redesigned 7 times for cost savings, (They just never did a redesign to the case itself) The PS1 was redesigned dozens of times for cost savings. The PS3 has had 5 design changes so far. The 360 has had 6...(and I can't believe it took them until September 2008 to fix the RROD with Jasper).

It's how it's always been. Is this somehow different this gen?

This gen is going to be really interesting, because both systems are SOCs. They should be able to get incredibly small over the next 10 years.

coldfoot

Banned
I wasn't arguing those games were free. You said console games couldn't use dedicated servers because they have a large player base. I pointed out that the biggest online games all use dedicated servers, I didn't say they were free.
You need to work on your reading comprehension skills, then. Did you miss the "and that costs a lot of money" part in my original post? That's the main reason COD on consoles use P2P.

This gen is going to be really interesting, because both systems are SOCs. They should be able to get incredibly small over the next 10 years.

They aren't SOCs yet, since they miss more integration (interfaces mostly). But probably will be in the future after some major revisions, 360s style. AMD is lagging behind here too.

At this point, disc drive is the only thing holding them for getting router sizes. That and cheap plastic cases. I wonder if they will dare to launch disc-drive less revisions in the future, as they did with PSPGO. Would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom