• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Major has delivered on those answers he promised.

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/06/details-on-xbox-one-connectivity-licensing-and-privacy-features/

But who knows, maybe they're lying!

Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah..... get F***ed MS!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Hold on:

A new generation of games with power from the cloud: Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing.
Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection,

How do they know that all the consoles (which isn't out)that have been sold and connected to the internet? I'm sure there will be alot who don't have broadband internet

Gestault

So an official confirmation that a rumour is rubbish is only accepted if its from your favoured brand? Have I got the gist of how it works?

That about sums it up. The only thing even confirmed by the consensus of Gaf sources is that there were/are yield problems for a component, which let's be clear, is something that applies to many tech product launches. This was Major Nelson responding to concerns that the eSRAM yields would negatively effect the XB1's specs themselves, which he flat out denies. We don't have any reason to not believe him unless you categorically assume no positive statement by Microsoft can ever be trusted, (or unless you have personal contact with CBOAT and knowledge why the particular info he has is good). Merely repeating an unsubstantiated claim isn't new evidence, and the claim in the first place isn't based on evidence, but on trust. CBOAT's reputation is something important to keep in mind, and I do. That's why the eSRAM yield info seemed solid, but I get the impression that the rumors extending beyond that are a bridge too far. Contradictory info from behind the scenes followed by an otherwise unnecessary official response. By denying it, Nelson technically drew more attention to this claim than there would have been otherwise. If we're being perfectly cynical and the goal was to deceive, staying quiet would have made more sense.

When people not actually privy to any form of evidence won't accept any answer except one that reaffirms what they already think is true, there's a problem there. By definition, that's being unreasonable. Things will be clear when the product launches. Considering even the suggestion of this idea has already meant people have accused me of being a Microsoft shill (ha), I'm more frustrated watching this process than I really should be.

Gestault

Re: the "secondhand game" elements of the Xbox Wire explanation:

I don't like this part at all:

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

CTLance

Thank you, cboat, for introducing me to the delightfully 1984ish sounding word TRUTHFACT.

That definite no-doubts confirmation of the 24(/1)-hour online shackle and borrowing business by MajorNelson kills the XBone for me. How sad.

szaromir

Banned
Devs probably don't know the final specs. They'd have no way of knowing if it was down-clocked. Even if they'd somehow seen a discrepancy between what they'd been told and what it is, MS could just say they hadn't been given the final spec. And lastly, if this did happen, even if devs would for some reason be in the know, they would not yet have been told.
How are they supposed to develop (launch) games if they don't know the specs? How do you exactly imagine it? In September: "Hey devs, it's Microsoft here, we know you're shipping your game in 3 weeks, but just so you know we lowered the clockrate by 20%. Good luck hitting your performance targets." If MS does intend to lower the clock(s), they must inform the dev community now (or must have done it by now).

mbmonk

Agreed. It effectively kills private sales of games, and forces all used games into approved retailers.

Also publisher can opt out and not allow resale of games.

Overall it's crappy, not as crappy as I thought it was going to be, but it sounds like the console very well require an internet connection.

I notice that an unsubstantiated Gaf rumor (with as many "insiders" denying it as confirming it), followed by a formal retort from a Microsoft representative who would see a backlash if he openly lied about something, still has people insisting that its true. Not because of any evidence, but because it simply must be true.

Not a single GAF "insider" has denied the eSRAM yield issue. Every "insider" speaking here has said it's true.

Even SenjutsuSage, who has vehemently defended the Xbone has said it is a real issue and as been a real issue for some time.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that an equal number of "insiders" have refuted it.

I think you made that shit up.

...and twitter is a "formal retort" now? No it's not.

I like the initial sound of it, but giving the game once part makes me wonder if the original giver can get the game back, since they were the ones that originally gave the game away.

This is my biggest concern out of a list of things that I generally like, some even love. Microsoft has to be asked about this part, no doubt. Are they saying that if you have a physical disc game, you can only hand that physical disc to a one friend one time ever and then you can get it back no longer being able to give it to anyone else in the future?

Or are they saying that once you give it to that friend, it's theirs forever, and you can't get it back? Even though, if you do say to a guy, "hey, you can keep this game" then you better be damn sure you really want to never play that game again, I suppose. That's the only thing I want clarification from Microsoft on.

Gestault

Agreed. It effectively kills private sales of games, and forces all used games into approved retailers.

Also publisher can opt out and not allow resale of games.

Overall it's crappy, not as crappy as I thought it was going to be, but it sounds like the console very well require an internet connection.

I want more details on being able to share your library with up to ten "family members," even on outside systems. That could be a value add, if it works like it seems.

Overall though, I think I'm having a similar reaction to you: it's not actually that bad, but it still annoys me in general (probably enough to dissuade a purchase for quite some time.)

szaromir

Banned
Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
This sounds really good actually.

Gestault

Not a single GAF "insider" has denied the eSRAM yield issue. Every "insider" speaking here has said it's true.

Even SenjutsuSage, who has vehemently defended the Xbone has said it is a real issue and as been a real issue for some time.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that an equal number of "insiders" have refuted it.

I think you made that shit up.

This was answered further on in the conversation. For your benefit, it was referring to the down-clocking specifically. No, I didn't make it up.

This was answered further on in the conversation. For your benefit, it was referring to the down-clocking specifically. No, I didn't make it up.

An equal number of GAF "insiders" have refuted the down-clock?

I'm still not seeing that.

I only see one disputing it, and his credentials or reputation as a GAF "insider" aren't nearly as established as the others. He said it himself, this is his first time making an "insider knowledge" claim.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So an official confirmation that a rumour is rubbish is only accepted if its from your favoured brand? Have I got the gist of how it works?

Jesus. It is only rubbish if the guy who is supposedly leaking has been right for every leak he has done in his membership here.

Stop thinking MS is being the victim here, Sony isn't either, and they will be called out too if they do DRM like MS.

szaromir

Banned
Was mentioned in the other thread, but family = same IP address. Its not like game sharing on the PS3.
It explicitly states family members can access those games anywhere. I suppose those XBL have to have the same 'primary' console, but it's not a big deal for me (I never planned to do anything like PS3's game sharing which always seemed very fishy to me anyway).

An equal number of GAF "insiders" have refuted the down-clock?
Down-clock is just a speculation, isn't it?

Septimius

Was mentioned in the other thread, but family = same IP address. Its not like game sharing on the PS3.

Even if "family" always lived under the same roof, NAT'ing is not the only way to structure a network. I have several public IPs. One for each device in my house, in fact.

Can we cut back on these spurious accusations? Major Nelson isn't a shill for fucks sake. He's a self labeled employee of Microsoft's Xbox division who does Public Relations on the side.

A shill is someone who pretends to be independent but is actually working surreptitiously as an agent of an organization to change opinion or otherwise manipulate the general public for said specific organization.

He's a shill. Just not a shill by the old definition. Call him a neo-shill if it makes you feel better.

It's the very idea that you brought up, that Major Nelson is doing PR "on the side" -- this "unofficial" shtick that he has crafted over the years that defines him as a shill.

He's a PR mouthpiece, straight-up. But the fact that he tries to make it seem like he's just a guy doing this "on the side" is what makes him a shill, because it's an obfuscation of his real role. He's the most public and well-known community mouthpiece in gaming now.

It's a brilliantly-crafted persona. In the beginning it was effective because it made Xbox fans feel like they had an "inside" connection with the team.

But now it's something else. Simply look at how Xbox fans treat one of his tweets:

I notice that an unsubstantiated Gaf rumor (with as many "insiders" denying it as confirming it), followed by a formal retort from a Microsoft representative who would see a backlash if he openly lied about something, still has people insisting that its true.

At this point, this seems pretty official.

There's many, many more examples in the other thread. This clearly isn't a guy doing PR "on the side" anymore. The fact that he still claims that, and you and other Xbox fans still propagate the myth that he's "just a guy doing this on the side" while he's clearly not, is what makes him a shill. A shill is simply anyone who hides the true nature of their agency. And clearly, the Major matches that definition.

thuway

I'm saying that there are real ESRAM issues, but I'm also saying that nothing needs to be downclocked as a result of that. Time will fix yield issues, just like it did on the Xbox 360.

From the other thread-

>.<

How can you downclock something whose rate you haven't publicly announced?
The only reason we have the 800 mhz number is from leaked documentation and sources. Major Nelson will NEVER say anything about downclocks or get close to talking about 800 mhz. He's going to back the fuck away from this discussion altogether.

Shit's being downclocked from 800. It is a very real option. Do you know why MS won't talk clock rates or CU's? Becuase the moment they do, it will slap you in the face how much more powerful PS4 is.

MarkusRJR

He's a shill. Just not a shill by the old definition. Call him a neo-shill if it makes you feel better.

It's the very idea that you brought up, that Major Nelson is doing PR "on the side" -- this "unofficial" shtick that he has crafted over the years that defines him as a shill.

He's a PR mouthpiece, straight-up. But the fact that he tries to make it seem like he's just a guy doing this "on the side" is what makes him a shill, because it's an obfuscation of his real role. He's the most public and well-known community mouthpiece in gaming now.

It's a brilliantly-crafted persona. In the beginning it was effective because it made Xbox fans feel like they had an "inside" connection with the team.
Yeah this was basically what I meant when I referred to him as a shill. It's probably not the best descriptor, but whatever. He is the director of programming (and does community stuff on the side), not a pr rep. The fact that he does PR under the guise of providing an inside look at development kind of grosses me out.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The downclock talk is easy to deny because there was never official answers on this. The only ones who know are the ones involved in development of the system. Just like deciding on hardware they are deciding on clock speeds. What makes this relevant is that clocks are being reduced to compensate for yield problems and not as an initial design.

Also this thread is amazing cause of CBOAT @truthfact fo life!

thuway

So it's an option or a fact? The first sentence implies a fact.

The people I've talked to say its happening, but you can never state FACT. Things can change if yields improve or Microsoft decides against it. Until final everything is shipped- we won't know for 100%.

However, I don't believe a damn thing Senjutsu is saying since plenty of our fellow "insiders" have all parroted that clock rates are decreasing.

prwxv3

The people I've talked to say its happening, but you can never state FACT. Things can change if yields improve or Microsoft decides against it. Until final everything is shipped- we won't know for 100%.

However, I don't believe a damn thing Senjutsu is saying since plenty of our fellow "insiders" have all parroted that clock rates are decreasing.

What about liquidboys claims?

Septimius

How are they supposed to develop (launch) games if they don't know the specs? How do you exactly imagine it? In September: "Hey devs, it's Microsoft here, we know you're shipping your game in 3 weeks, but just so you know we lowered the clockrate by 20%. Good luck hitting your performance targets." If MS does intend to lower the clock(s), they must inform the dev community now (or must have done it by now).

Remember how devs were surprised by the fact that the PS4 had 8GB of RAM instead of 4? Don't for a second think that MS have told anyone what their final specs are. They're likely just doing a black-box testing of "get it to run on this box". You know the way no one knows the definite specs of the WiiU? Do you think it's a well-guarded secret by the devs? No, it's not told to the devs.

Even skilled people on GAF with detailed die photos can't conclude what the specs are, and even after launch, there's no word on this. From anyone.

Specs are pretty useless, anyway. How it runs is what's important.

And they don't have to inform the dev community. Knowing MS, they might be fine doing all developers one over and not even telling them their game will run 20% worse on the final hardware. I don't try to say that's what's happening, or anything. I'm just saying the devs are not in the know.

thuway

The downclock talk is easy to deny because there was never official answers on this. The only ones who know are the ones involved in development of the system. Just like deciding on hardware they are deciding on clock speeds. What makes this relevant is that clocks are being reduced to compensate for yield problems and not as an initial design.

Also this thread is amazing cause of CBOAT @truthfact fo life!

Adding to this, as a base, we are taking 800 mhz for the Xbox One. If the rate is anything below 800 hz at 12 cu's, we know things have been downclocked.

Fun historical fact- Alpha kits were clocked at 700 or 720 mhz because the GPU was more powerful than the real one to match the performance of 800 mhz at 12 cus.

Deuterium

Shouldn't be that hard to figure out. I went into his post history on a hunch, and- yup...junior member, has only ever posted in Xbox related threads. Can you guess the theme of his posts?

I did go into his post history. I only read back to March (there aren't that many)...I may have missed it, but I didn't find a post in which he made this claim. Again, admittedly, I didn't spend a whole lot of time...but I did a cursory check. Can you provide a link? Thanks in advance.

szaromir

Banned
Remember how devs were surprised by the fact that the PS4 had 8GB of RAM instead of 4? Don't for a second think that MS have told anyone what their final specs are. They're likely just doing a black-box testing of "get it to run on this box". You know the way no one knows the definite specs of the WiiU? Do you think it's a well-guarded secret by the devs? No, it's not told to the devs.

Even skilled people on GAF with detailed die photos can't conclude what the specs are, and even after launch, there's no word on this. From anyone.

Specs are pretty useless, anyway. How it runs is what's important.

And they don't have to inform the dev community. Knowing MS, they might be fine doing all developers one over and not even telling them their game will run 20% worse on the final hardware. I don't try to say that's what's happening, or anything. I'm just saying the devs are not in the know.
How the hell specs are pretty useless? It's like not knowing what your current velocity or fuel reserve is when driving a car. Devs must know those specs if they're expected to build stable games with good performance.
Then I'm looking forward to devs confirming (or denying) change in the final specs soon-ish. They won't downgrade a month before the console is shipped.

CLEEK

Senjutsu finally banned. So was he a viral?

His defence of all things related to the Xbone hardware just looked like the ramblings of someone with over zealous brand loyalty. But he was doing the same in the DRM thread, justifying MS's anti-consumer business practises too.

What about liquidboys claims?

Which ones?

These move engines come into there own when we start stacking SoC's ...

Yes they help when theres 1 SoC (CPU/GPU/Memory/other chips) ... BUT when theres more than one these things will come in very handy 2 or even 3 SoCs ...

All these MS haters thinking that MS are only going to throw in 1 GPU/CPU (SoC) ... be prepared to be disappointed when MS throws in more...

Why do you think the wattage of a single GPU (60watts) is so low BUT the Xbox next has a power box that can potential go up to 300watts (probably peak at 230-250)...

Anyway can't wait till the final number of component parts are revealed!!

Of the revealed GPU / Board diagrams ... nothing has mentioned the number of components!! prepare to be surprised!

This one?

LAWL.

CLEEK

Bare in mind that MS were careful to not provide any performance related technical specs during the reveal. Just 8-core CPU, 8GB RAM etc.

http://newsbcpcol.stb.s-msn.com/amn...05de4683c867ee96/_h0_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

The 1.2 TFLOP metric just comes from various leaks, not from MS.

So either MS didn't want to clarify performance because the figures would show the Xbone is weaker than the PS4, or they new that the specs were subject to change, due to production line issues.

vpance

His defence of all things related to the Xbone hardware just looked like the ramblings of someone with over zealous brand loyalty. But he was doing the same in the DRM thread, justifying MS's anti-consumer business practises too.

I'll never get any of the posters who keep defending the technical merits of a console while barely having an understanding of how it works.

thuway

Then I'm looking forward to devs confirming (or denying) change in the final specs soon-ish. They won't downgrade a month before the console is shipped.

Sony downclocked the PS3 at the 11th hour on the RSX this gen. Nothing is concrete ever.

prwxv3

I'll never get any of the posters who keep defending the technical merits of a console while barely having an understanding of how it works.

While I don't understand tech stuff myself there has been a influx of posts trying to claim that the 8 GDDR5 RAM that the PS4 has is somehow not as good as the Xbones RAM setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom