• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying To Find The Energy To Play Battlefield 4 Campaign

So I had Battlefield 4 for the Xbox 360 and got through most of the campaign when I was hit with the Save Bug. Mad at the game I didn't touch the campaign for another month. I really wanted the three guns that you get finishing the campaign (QBZ-95-1, P90, and the M249). So while my wife was at work I did the whole campaign in one sitting, plus the ending two extra times to get all three weapons. I was just happy it was finally over.

Now I have had PS4 and BF4 since Feb. and I tried to play the campaign again not too long after. I didn't want to do it but I have OCD about unlocking guns. So again I strapped myself in to just it over with. It was like pulling teeth. I was yelling at the screen because of the long drawn out dialog that I really didn't care about. When half way through I got the Error Screen. My soul broke. There were tears. The game finally broke me down. I kissed the three guns farewell.

Present day: I help out at the Tattoo Shop my wife tattoos at. So I usually bring my PS4 to entertain myself if it's slow. BF4 multiplayer was testing my nerves so instead of getting too angry at the game, I thought to myself... "One last time. I have to power through this". And so I once again began to play the campaign. I realized that this game has really broken me. It's just so mind numbingly boring. I was honestly playing it like a zombie. No anger.. Happiness.. Sadness.. nothing. There will be no emotions until it's finally done.

A message to DICE.
You really want to fix your Campaign problem? Take notes from older shooter games. Not Halo or COD. I'm talking Socom series or older Ghost Recon. Make your Campaign a Co-op. 4 people to a squad.. Give them the option to choose their weapons before the mission.. Give a open map.. and give variety to how to complete objectives. Let's say you need to destroy a radio tower and take down a target. Your recon can get to a position waiting for the target while the rest of the squad takes care of the Radio Tower. Maybe the explosion scares the target into running out in the open for the recon to take down. Your game would be so much better.

End Rant

Update: I finally made it through. Never have to touch the campaign ever again. My wife was not pleased with me having to do the ending 3 times though. She even said that it was so boring... She didn't have to play the game ;-;

rc6886

Unconfirmed Member
Between the campaign save bug (which pissed me off too) and the broken multiplayer, I completely gave up on BF4 a few weeks after it was released and I won't be buying Hardline or whatever bullshit they plan on releasing after that.

I moved away from CoD because it was getting stale, but at least I could actually play the damn game.

Xater

Just don't bother with it. It doesn't get better and the ending is just terrible.

How Dice was able to deliver two so terrible campaigns in a row is incredible.

hydruxo

On top of the save issues, the campaign is one of the worst I've ever played. Story didn't really make any sense and it was just a mess. I traded BF4 in almost immediately after I finished the campaign and I probably won't buy a Battlefield game until they make another Bad Company again.

Vidpixel

Luckily, the campaign is really short, but yeah, that save bug that plagued the game after its release drove me nuts and shouldn't have ever been an issue in the first place. I didn't care for any of the characters at all, and the stitched-together story is as generic as it gets.

antitrop

Battlefield 4's campaign is a travesty. 3 was as well, but 4 is just as bad.

I miss the days when military shooter campaigns were actually good.

Piggus

One of the worst endings in any game I've played. Just wtf.

Other than the ending just being stupid in general, I was pissed that I, the mute boring player, was forced to send Hannah or Irish to die (and you get a fucking unlock for each one.... Wtf) while they don't even give the player the option to perform the sacrifice.

You really want to fix your Campaign problem? Take notes from older shooter games. Not Halo or COD. I'm talking Socom series or older Ghost Recon. Make your Campaign a Co-op. 4 people to a squad.. Give them the option to choose their weapons before the mission.. Give a open map.. and give variety to how to complete objectives. Let's say you need to destroy a radio tower and take down a target. Your recon can get to a position waiting for the target while the rest of the squad takes care of the Radio Tower. Maybe the explosion scares the target into running out in the open for the recon to take down. Your game would be so much better.

End Rant

Online co-op was really fun in SOOCM: Combined Assault.

I'm still not sure how they managed to make the campaign worse than BF3's. It's like they didn't listen to any of the criticisms leveled against that campaign while developing BF4.

Fisty

Havent played BF4 campaign, but the hate for BF3 campaign is totally off the mark imo. It wasnt that bad, the flight section, the spec ops section and the train sections were very well done and elevated it from a boring shooter to a decent setpiece campaign.

CHC

Honest question: why?

There are so many better games this really is not worth the time at all. If it was working fine then maybe it's something to kill an afternoon with, but I can tell you that this is not something worth troubleshooting or getting frustrated over.

Kugar77

Mind-numbingly boring is a great way to put it. I didn't get through it before selling the game to a naive coworker. Each mssion took forever and it was really just a shooting gallery, everyone aimed at you, AI didn't do jack.
There's that level where you have to escape through some kind of hanger and there's tons of enemies shooting at you from different locations. After dying several times, I said a big FU to my AI "teammates" and booked it straight for the door/exit just sprinting and jumping around. I wonder if you can get through the whole game like that
. The last FPS campaign I played was Bad Company 2 which was a fun romp. I had skipped BF3 so I was hoping to put the same amount of time in BF4's mp but everyone knows how that was, especially at the beginning

Jarrod38

One of the most boring campaigns I have played for sometime. There were times where I was about to fall asleep playing it. After finishing it I have never touched that that campaign again.

AHA-Lambda

Probably not worth it, it's pretty damn bad. Improvement over 3 but that's not saying much, BF3 is probably the worst big budget FPS campaign I've ever played.

Just don't bother with it. It doesn't get better and the ending is just terrible.

How Dice was able to deliver two so terrible campaigns in a row is incredible.

I don't think they've ever made a good campaign frankly.

Honest question: why?

There are so many better games this really is not worth the time at all. If it was working fine then maybe it's something to kill an afternoon with, but I can tell you that this is not something worth troubleshooting or getting frustrated over.

I... I just want the guns.. But DICE wants to torture you for the prize

Havent played BF4 campaign, but the hate for BF3 campaign is totally off the mark imo. It wasnt that bad, the flight section, the spec ops section and the train sections were very well done and elevated it from a boring shooter to a decent setpiece campaign.

It was fairly good, WAY better than BF4's horrid campaign.

BF4's campaign was WAY worse than BF3's which is utterly pathetic after all the promises that they were going to improve the campaign for the new game.

Vandiger

Battlefield was never meant to have campaign single player mode. Rather than waste time playing crap, stick to fps games designed for single player like Wolfstein

That flight mission pissed me off because it was all on rails. You have a series known for its freedom in combat and then turn a jet section into that. But of course we get full control over an astonishingly boring tank section.

Gekko87

A message to DICE.
You really want to fix your Campaign problem? Take notes from older shooter games. Not Halo or COD. I'm talking Socom series or older Ghost Recon. Make your Campaign a Co-op. 4 people to a squad.. give variety to how to complete objectives.
Bad Company 3. Everyone is one of the characters (Haggard, Sweetwater, etc). The game is laid out like the first game but just online co op. Pretty much how you described. I want this to happen so bad now.

Timu

All BF3 and BF4 have in their campaigns are set pieces as both are pretty boring to play and not worth the 4-5 hours to waste.

I don't know how people get so worked up over the campaigns in BF3/4. They're so inoffensive.

This. Especially given that COD and BF campaigns tend to be about five or six hours at best, and are basically just a lot of running and shooting things, I have no idea why people find them so abhorrent that they can't get through them. I get the criticism that they're dumb rollercoaster rides with dumb overly scripted setpieces, and if you ask me I much prefer a Half-Life or a Singularity or a Wolfenstein over COD/BF campaigns. But it seems like "so offensive I couldn't finish it" comes from a completely different place, the way people talk about it.

Dabanton

I tried playing the campaign a couple of days ago as part of the EA Access program. I just didn't like it every much.

I think am about halfway through. The graphics are good but my oh my it's so sloppy. Monster closet enemies that aren't actually fun to fight.

It makes me weep that actual interesting and more importantly replayable FPS campaigns like Bulletstorm bombed but shite like this flourishes.

Sounds like Destiny that bit.

Sounds like the old school Ghost Recon games which were infinitely better that what passes for FPS campaigns nowadays and I include Destiny in that as well bullet sponge stat number enemies are not interesting either.

I feel we're coming to a breaking point and you can see it with stuff like Ubi 'reboot' of Rainbow Six were slower and steady replaces loud and brash shiny surface with nothing underneath.

Bad Company 1 is an experiment I wish EA would repeat it actually looks revolutionary when stacked up against whats come after it. I remember when DICE used to take the piss out of CoD but they slowly became the same game. On rails, shit exploding 'cinematic' campaigns.

I really enjoyed the BF4 campaign and that's saying something since I don't finish most things I play

Ending was pretty naff but I enjoyed the campaign

And the campaign wasn't really broken, it just screwed up a few of my save files on the xbox one with one of the updates

This. Especially given that COD and BF campaigns tend to be about five or six hours at best, and are basically just a lot of running and shooting things, I have no idea why people find them so abhorrent that they can't get through them. I get the criticism that they're dumb rollercoaster rides with dumb overly scripted setpieces, and if you ask me I much prefer a Half-Life or a Singularity or a Wolfenstein over COD/BF campaigns. But it seems like "so offensive I couldn't finish it" comes from a completely different place, the way people talk about it.

I wouldn't say "offensive" but the whole thing is just boring. There's just too many parts that have you walking around listening to people talk (being on the battleship for example). I just want the unlocks

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I thought the campaign had its moments, and on PC the game is just gorgeous! I actually also liked BF3's campaign. For a FPS I think Dice is doing fine, just not as good as it could be. But it's battlefield, do just like Cod, all you really expect is mindless shooting and some big set pieces, and with that in mind, while I am not amazed, I'm not disappointed either.

Also, no save bug on PC.

I think am about halfway through. The graphics are good but my oh my it's so sloppy. Monster closet enemies that aren't actually fun to fight.

It makes me weep that actual interesting and more importantly replayable FPS campaigns like Bulletstorm bombed but shite like this flourishes.

Man. Bulletstorm's campaign was interesting. Heck, the game itself was different from other titles which was why I liked it so much. It was rough sure, but I felt like there was enough pieces in place for something special to happen.

Dice couldn't give two shakes of a fuck stick about the campaign, no one fucking buys a Battlefield game for the fucking campaign.

BPoole

I wanted to finish it for the guns as well buy only got 3 missions in before thinking "what am I doing with my life?"

Sounds like Destiny that bit.

Kinda but I meant more like Socom or Ghost Recon. Each mission had a it's own open map that you could take care of objectives at your own pace or in the order that you wanted. If you wanted to hang back and snipe while having your squad point out targets, you could. Or go in guns blazing with your squad or they can hang back to give cover fire. While it was only one player and you controlled your squad. There was just so many different ways to handle a mission. I could replay a level numerous times for all the multiple ways.

chugen

jaJ8iO6.jpg
ZDOxRFO.jpg

had more fun with rambo

Dabanton

Man. Bulletstorm's campaign was interesting. Heck, the game itself was different from other titles which was why I liked it so much. It was rough sure, but I felt like there was enough pieces in place for something special to happen.

And there were so many ways to approach a situation that it rewarded replaying as the levels and enemies were fun to fight.

A damm shame it was so under appreciated.

VariantX

Good luck OP. BF3 and 4's campaigns punish the player at every turn, for actually trying to play it like a battlefield game. BF4 goes the extra step and punishes the hell out of the player for trying to finish it lol. If you're not playing to unlock the weapons, the campaign has literally nothing to offer you but boredom and unlikeable characters. Play BC 1 or 2 if you actually want to have something resembling fun.

I tried playing Battlefield 3 campaign a while after it came out. I'm pretty sure it's the worst single player game I've played for quite a few years. I've watched movies with more interactivity than that on rails bullshit provided.

Top Bottom