• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying To Find The Energy To Play Battlefield 4 Campaign

Daemul

I think it was Antitrop who said that if BF4 had been MP only then it wouldn't have launched in the state that it did, and I agree.

DICE, please drop these useless campaign's in Battlefield and make the series MP only again, unless you can miraculously start making decent campaign's again.

The damn thing feels like an attempt to salvage a story they they didn't think was worth the time to finish. The entire campaign seems to be building up to a twist in the plot that I felt coming a mile off. And then it never happens. And then the ending is the most abrupt, perfunctory bullshit. Not to say that the campaign would have been better as a whole if it had the conclusion I suspect was originally intended. The problems that people have with it are there right from the start. But the way it concluded was so ludicrously anticlimactic.

The funny thing despite the campaign as a whole being shit, I really love the opening mission.

Fishing in Baku, despite making no real sense narratively, to me, was really good fun. Plus it actually had some great musical cues (Total Eclipse of the Heart so good). And for such a short mission, it was surprisingly well paced.

Sham about the est

I gave up halfway through. It was terrible. They must have fired every single person who worked on Bad Company and Mirrors Edge, because DICE hasn't made a good campaign in 6 years. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

I think the really the only reason to get to the later levels (besides the weapon unlocks) is hearing the Battlefield Friends. I did get a chuckle out of that

Because of the save bug I played through the entire game on the hardest difficulty while collecting every single possible campaign trophy ALL IN ONE SITTING. I still hate myself for it.

I'm never buying another Battlefield game.

Fantasmo

I'm of the opinion that the campaign is only 2 chapters long and the "save bug" is there to deter you from knowing that. Otherwise it would take 5 minutes to fix from a professional programmer

gaugebozo

Playing the Destiny Beta really put this into perspective. All of the campaigns I've played in the last few years are really, really boring. It feels like terrorist whack-a-mole. They're more time wasters than fun diversions. The multiplayer is fun, but it's such a waste of time and resources for developers to put this much money into something that most people don't even finish, and the ones who do are only doing it to unlock items for multiplayer.

I think the moment they stop focusing so much on the story which no one is going to care about anyway and focus on gameplay and the characters themselves the better off these games will be.

Cider X

Got hit by the save bug 3 times on Ps4. Forgot about the "trick" where you upload your saves to the cloud one time then BAM! Back to the first chapter. Multiplayer was also broken as shit. Got a refund for the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Battlefield 4's campaign is a travesty. 3 was as well, but 4 is just as bad.

I miss the days when military shooter campaigns were actually good.
BF4's actually pissed me off more since BF3's had some unintentionally hilarious moments (RAT BATTLE QTE) and a couple stages that were legit good whereas BF4's was the exact same amount of bland the whole time with nothing remarkable in either direction.

Mr.Batman

Banned
I don't even remember if I finished it or not. The last level I remember playing was on top of a aircraft carrier. I remember thinking half way through that the only reason why I would finish would be to get the achievements. The whole thing was just...bad...and I really enjoy fps.

On the other hand, I was quite surprised by the campaign of cod ghosts. It wasn't anything ground breaking or revolutionary but it was fun and held my attention.

I've been a battlefield fan since 1942 but after bf4 I think I am done. The multiplayer was pretty good but full of bugs and the performance really turned me off. I might be wiling to jump back in for bf5 but I doubt it.

Idk, I love COD and BF campaigns, they are always epic. I enjoyed every COD Campaign and BF4's was pretty solid. I try to immerse myself into the games as being a war hero badass.

Darknight

I think it was Antitrop who said that if BF4 had been MP only then it wouldn't have launched in the state that it did, and I agree.

DICE, please drop these useless campaign's in Battlefield and make the series MP only again, unless you can miraculously start making decent campaign's again.

It wont happen because they want the COD crowd. There is a ton of COD players that get the games just for the SP. Honestly COD does have some good SP but Im one of those that could do without one.

I havent played the BF4 SP because of the save glitch. Fucking amazing DICE can fuck up both SP and MP modes. Im not about to loose hours trying to finish the damn thing just for it to wipe off after I quit.

Eusis

It wont happen because they want the COD crowd. There is a ton of COD players that get the games just for the SP. Honestly COD does have some good SP but Im one of those that could do without one.
Yeah, problem is CoD has reasonably good SP for what it is, and it's not as if the MP's gameplay would lend itself to something deepr, but BF's gameplay does so it's jarring that they insist on slavishly, and extremely poorly, following CoD's example. If it won't be MP only it should at least figure out a way to carry over the MP's strengths. I wouldn't be surprised if that actually helped lead to a more solid MP launch, in that they're not effectively two different games.

Codiox

Man I remember the medal of honor allied assault / Frontline / COD1 campaigns... These were really great in comparison to the new military bullshit.

Is the save glitch on PS4 still a problem? If so that is enough right there to dissuade me from buying another BF game anytime soon. Absolutely ridiculous.

devonodev

I wanted to beat campaign before touching multiplayer. I got about half way through and got bored, so I tried multiplayer and it was so much better, I never looked back.

Fantasmo

I wanted to beat campaign before touching multiplayer. I got about half way through and got bored, so I tried multiplayer and it was so much better, I never looked back.

The only problem with this is that there are two weapons unlocked by beating the campaign. Unless of course they changed that in a patch.

Battlefield 4's campaign is so generic. I struggled to play through it... luckily it's pretty short. Just hope that you don't get the deleted save bug...

elektrixx

Banned
Put your energy into playing the Hardline campaign. It has a much better chance of being good in my opinion.

I've only finished the single player of the Bad Company games. I tried 3 and 4 but couldn't do it. The opening level of 4 is great, but it still wasn't enough to pull me in.

I agree with the OP, First time playing through it was just there , no highs or lows just meh , to make it worse i got the save bug 2 times in a row (both after about halfway through).

So not only was it bad the first time through, imagine replaying it. After the second time i gave up in frustration and sold the game (not purely on single player, the multi was a buggy pos at launch as well).

Needless to say the entire experience has definetely stopped me from day 1 battlefield games for a longggggg time.

Say what you want about cod campaigns, but they are 10 times more exciting then battlefields (bf3 was terrible as well), and they are also solid and not buggy messes at launch.

The only problem with this is that there are two weapons unlocked by beating the campaign. Unless of course they changed that in a patch.

There's 3 weapons to unlock through the campaign, and they are worth the initial play through but not having to replay it numerous times cause of the Save Bug. I just really wanted the guns.

I've been playing through it a second time (first was on PC, second for 'fun' thanks to EA access)... Honestly the gameplay is alright, but there are so many small (and big... fuck you save bug that still exists) issues that just make it annoying as hell.

Die? Rewatch 10-20-30 second ingame 'cutscene' for no real reason. Think you can bypass ingame conversations and such by moving ahead? NOPE! You're either blocked in the elevator by AI bodies until they're finished or you'll be sitting at the door that is not openable by your less than intelligent player character.

There are just so many little spots that serve to test the patience of the player for no good reason at all. I generally like to 'experience' the story of games. But at the same time after I've played it, or I'm replaying an area due to death or save glitches... You're asking a lot to make me wait for the damn AI to open the door for me just to continue walking and talking another 5 minutes.

*snip*
Say what you want about cod campaigns, but they are 10 times more exciting then battlefields (bf3 was terrible as well), and they are also solid and not buggy messes at launch.

Sorry... Earlier COD I can probably get on board with this. The past few? Not even cringe worthy or unintentionally funny. Just sigh after sigh of nonsense and cliche.

I've been playing through it a second time (first was on PC, second for 'fun' thanks to EA access)... Honestly the gameplay is alright, but there are so many small (and big... fuck you save bug that still exists) issues that just make it annoying as hell.

Die? Rewatch 10-20-30 second ingame 'cutscene' for no real reason. Think you can bypass ingame conversations and such by moving ahead? NOPE! You're either blocked in the elevator by AI bodies until they're finished or you'll be sitting at the door that is not openable by your less than intelligent player character.

There are just so many little spots that serve to test the patience of the player for no good reason at all. I generally like to 'experience' the story of games. But at the same time after I've played it, or I'm replaying an area due to death or save glitches... You're asking a lot to make me wait for the damn AI to open the door for me just to continue walking and talking another 5 minutes.

Sorry... Earlier COD I can probably get on board with this. The past few? Not even cringe worthy or unintentionally funny. Just sigh after sigh of nonsense and cliche.

Whilsts Ghosts was undeniably shit it was still ALOT better then the Battlefield 4 campaign.

Cynn

Because number of achievements = fun?
I would say it represents the amount of time he put into both games.

I got the BF4 Platinum and I agree the campaign was boring but it wasn't insufferable. I also finished BF3 and felt the same way. I think part of my coldness toward the single player is because I enjoyed Bad Company to an extreme degree. Haggard, Sweetwater, Sarge and Marloe were actually laugh out loud funny and the whole exercise was a half parody of modern shooter tropes. It was unique, entertaining and memorable.

That was thrown away for some half assed television drama. Irish. Just die dude. Haggard would have blown that ship up, rode a live missile off the deck and right into a bar where he would hilariously lose an arm wresting match to a female Marine and have to buy everyone drinks.

I mentioned in another thread that Hardline should be the story of the Bad Company crew freshly dismissed from the Army for almost starting a Russian invasion. They all band together to get a loan for their very own private security company and their first client ends up being an international drug lord moving product into LA. They get wise, start some shit and bam! Cops and robbers.

Ah well...

TheBear

I think it's fascinating that a game known for its large scale MP battles has a corridor shooter SP campaign. What the fuck were they thinking.
Bad Company campaigns were fun because they actually used the fucking assets they built for the game.

Timu

I think it's fascinating that a game known for its large scale MP battles has a corridor shooter SP campaign. What the fuck were they thinking.
Bad Company campaigns were fun because they actually used the fucking assets they built for the game.
Amen to that, I vastly enjoyed the Bad Company campaigns more than the latest BFs.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Took me a long time to play the campaign as it is such a crap one and Fucking Irish I wish I coulda killed him at the start.... what a moron

Top Bottom