• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TumbleSeed |OT| A Friend in Need is a Seed Indeed

Cerium

SoAANbh.png

OHdS1Cs.png

YYsEdgy.png
3o7btZqd06DUrkFbrO.gif

2uQkZ4N.png

YYsEdgy.png
3o7btXtnnPQme9ezDy.gif

bxcd8pf.png

YYsEdgy.png
3o7btZs5rtAyWk1F7O.gif

xwINIvi.png

Soph

I used to have a wooden contraption with a metal ball and two cords you could pull that works just like this. The holes were always a nightmare, I think my grandfather actually made it himself. Some of the holes would make coloured lights go on on top due to the electricity flowing through the ball when yanked through

Oh my sweet youth, guess I'll have to buy this game to relive those memories. Pretty sure they got a lot of inspiration from it.

The Wart

Does anyone know what progression is like in this game? Is it a true rogue-lite in that you start from scratch every time or are there unlockables ala Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy?

Unison

Just watch the GB quick look. I can't imagine what a review will tell you, other than give context for if that particular critic jived with it or not.

I don't want to waste 30 minutes watching a video to tell me what a written review could tell me in a minute.

Wozman23

Good job on the OT! I was gonna claim it if no one else did.

Instead, I went all out on the other crazy, colorful, weird game, GNOG, which also releases on the 2nd. (I'll put the OT up soon.)

Really excited for both.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about this game on Nintendo Voice Chat. Interested to see how it reviews.

The name TumbleSeed is good, but I find it easy to confuse with Tumblestone and Ron Gilbert's Thimbleweed Park.

Cool thread again! Played at PAX East, really dug it, love the music/art style, game plays and feels great, very responsive. Would like to see how reviews turn out though prior to buying. While it's very good, if it's very short and not that many character unlocks, I may wait for a sale to get it. If this is your thing and you know it, 15$ is a great price for this. Plays great.

Good job on the OT! I was gonna claim it if no one else did.

Instead, I went all out on the other crazy, colorful, weird game, GNOG, which also releases on the 2nd. (I'll put the OT up soon.)

Really excited for both.

Oh GNOG is out tomorrow too, that was also fantastic. I told the dev, forgot his name, it's a fantastic tinkering machine, and he said, Thanks that was exactly it. It's a digital fidget cube :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Global release on Tuesday or U.K. waiting until Friday?

I think this should suit the switch. Partly because I'm still in the honeymoon period, but tilt contrpls in handheld mode should work well

Global release on Tuesday or U.K. waiting until Friday?

I think this should suit the switch. Partly because I'm still in the honeymoon period, but tilt contrpls in handheld mode should work well

Like 99% positive this has no motion controls, you'll REALLY want actual control when it gets going. COuld be wrong though.

NateDrake

Like 99% positive this has no motion controls, you'll REALLY want actual control when it gets going. COuld be wrong though.

No motion controls. I've been trying to get good enough at the game to capture gameplay footage of it, but I always make one mistake and it ruins the footage.

I'm absolutely sold on this and it kills me. I was doing great at keeping up with my Switch library, but I'm finally starting to accumulate a backlog. I really need to finish Graceful Explosion Machine and Kamiko soon but I won't be able to resist diving into this.

At least I know I'll have plenty to play! Noon EST tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

No motion controls. I've been trying to get good enough at the game to capture gameplay footage of it, but I always make one mistake and it ruins the footage.

Fuck it, do it live :) That's the fun of it, people like seeing people mess up. Especially in Rogue Likes.

Wouldn't that be good representative gameplay then? I liked Giantbomb's video because they were just playing it "live". It gives me a better sense of what to expect.

The Wart

Total motion controls would be tough, since you need both tilt (easy to do) and vertical movement (not so easy). You could maybe map vertical velocity to the axis of rotation not used for tilt, but that would probably be tricky to execute, and nigh impossible in switch portable mode.

A system that used rotation for tilt control and an analogue stick for vertical movement could work though. Maybe if there's enough interest the devs will patch it in.

Picardy

Neo Member
I got to play it early on Switch, and as long as you're cool with a learning curve, it's a game I'd recommend.

I can confirm there aren't any motion controls. It uses the HD Rumble, but it doesn't effect the gameplay much.

schlew

Since the thread is here, I've been playing the game for about a week now. If ya'll have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer em. Here's my coverage thus far:

TumbleSeed (Switch) - Daily Challenge Gameplay
TumbleSeed Live Stream (30 minutes)
TumbleSeed First Impressions (article)

Overall, I'm really enjoying the game. Getting a hang of the mechanics takes a few minutes, but afterwards, it's smooth sailing. The art is also really, really nice.

With the Daily Challenge, are you able to compare your score against friends? I never get much out of Global Leaderboards, don't really have much motivation to move from 6569 to 6568.

Total motion controls would be tough, since you need both tilt (easy to do) and vertical movement (not so easy). You could maybe map vertical velocity to the axis of rotation not used for tilt, but that would probably be tricky to execute, and nigh impossible in switch portable mode.

A system that used rotation for tilt control and an analogue stick for vertical movement could work though. Maybe if there's enough interest the devs will patch it in.

IDK, I asked, they flat out said no. Sounded pretty definitive.

Wozman23

TumbleSeed was inspired by the arcade game, Ice Cold Beer, which uses two joystick for control, so while motion controls could work, I think the developers wanted to adopt a similar control style to the arcade game.

TumbleSeed was inspired by the arcade game, Ice Cold Beer, which uses two joystick for control, so while motion controls could work, I think the developers wanted to adopt a similar control style to the arcade game.

Just discovered Ice Cold Beer a month or so ago and had a great night with friends playing it. It's the ultimate "one more time" arcade game. Picking this up day one for the inspiration alone.

Does anyone know what progression is like in this game? Is it a true rogue-lite in that you start from scratch every time or are there unlockables ala Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy?

True roguelike. There's one unlockable as far as I know but it's just
a teleport to the second stratum that you wouldn't want to use any way

NateDrake

Fuck it, do it live :) That's the fun of it, people like seeing people mess up. Especially in Rogue Likes.

Wouldn't that be good representative gameplay then? I liked Giantbomb's video because they were just playing it "live". It gives me a better sense of what to expect.

Haha, valid points. Here's 15 minutes of footage showing random power-ups and just me playing. Plus I do a quick quest in the video towards the end. I do love the peaceful soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/yG8AfLGy57c

Now I'm really hoping that they have the haptics functionality on the PC version. Sounds really cool.
Almost definitely getting this tomorrow.

Looking forward to this one! I played a demo of it at an indie games expo in Chicago last year and it was really fun. It'll be nice to get an Ice Cold Beer-like fix at home given how the copy of the machine at Logan Arcade that I've played a lot is constantly breaking down. Supposedly that's the exact copy of the game that inspired the TumbleSeed developers.

The Wart

True roguelike. There's one unlockable as far as I know but it's just
a teleport to the second stratum that you wouldn't want to use any way
-
Ah thanks. Unfortunately my reptile brain craves the dopamine rush of "progression" so I might wait on this one. Kinda wish they gone with a traditional level-based structure.

bosh

Been playing it for little over a week. Very refreshing game for the rougelike genre.

Also I now can admit the rumble in switch controllers isn't just a marketing term. First game I can truly say uses it well. You can feel the ball rolling and it's momentum.

Top Bottom