• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tuna fishing with an unexpected guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow the internet is raping this video, and everyone is acting like it's the first time anyone has ever seen a dolphin(s) slipstream a boat.
Don't get me wrong, it's cool and I'd be fucken stoked if that happened to me, but it's no BBC Natural History Unit. I was promised my jaw would drop and I would think it was CG or at least fake, and I did none of those things =[

f0nz0

I've seen these guys myself, growing up in the Santa cruz area, we used to go boogie boarding and catch dolphins not too far in the distance, always awesome to see., cool video!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
God, I can't wait til we communicate with Dolphins. It'll be one of the greatest achievements in human history.

Clydefrog

Here's some more CGI for you guys
m9ffB.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It looks CG because...

-Lighting/unexpected clarity of the water.
-Very fast exposure time for each frame eliminating motion blur, making the jerkiness of a 30fps CG hand-animation.
-The way it encodes the colors. Since it's a digital camera, not film, it clips highlights and has it's own white balance compensations which can seem unnatural. If it's doing any sort of chroma noise reduction, which many digital cameras do, that alone would do it.
-The way the bubbles dramatically vanish to reveal the dolphins and then their sudden splitting off to leave camera view at the end doesn't help it seem like a candid filming to an already suspicious mind.

Stop bitching at people. It's different from professional film cameras used in documentaries.

I think this looks like shitty CG because the lightening is kinda "off" underwater, also the underwater movement looks weird, but thats just how it is ... so all in all this could be real but look extremely fake because nobody is used to such a perspective

Alebrije

Do they really had to beat down the tuna? poor tunas....

VIDEO IS REAL look at Minute : 2:13 dat shit. hard to simulate.

cbox

It looks CG because...

-Very fast exposure time for each frame eliminating motion blur, making the jerkiness of a 30fps CG hand-animation.
-The way it encodes the colors. Since it's a digital camera, not film, it clips highlights and has it's own white balance compensations which can seem unnatural. If it's doing any sort of chroma noise reduction, which many digital cameras do, that alone would do it.
-The way the bubbles dramatically vanish to reveal the dolphins and then their sudden splitting off to leave camera view at the end doesn't help it seem like a candid filming to an already suspicious mind.

Stop bitching at people. It's different from professional film cameras used in documentaries.

Now i've heard everything haha

It looks CG because...

Thanks, I knew it was this, but couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Dice

Now i've heard everything haha
Your condescending attitude won't change the facts of the technical aspects of filming, how a $100,000 film camera is different from a $300 digital camera, and the different ways people perceive media according to those differences. You think broadcasters drop millions on documentaries for no reason? I guess you should let them know about GoPro cameras.

aceface

Ok, there were some dolphins. After all that buildup I expected one to jump on board and rape a guy or something else unbelievable.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
There's nothing wrong with me. As whitehawk said, it's playing tricks on my brain. The movement of the dolphins just look unrealistic at times.

No, I don't think anything on the BBC documentary looks CG.

Looks CG on my iPhone

Apple making reality look like shit confirmed.

No way is that CG. Each dolphin has different marks/scars, so the guy in the comments is full of shit.

The guy wouldn't also try to get a kickstarter going for the torpedo housing, if he's fully interested in CG.

alphaNoid

Banned
Random fisherman is the best cg artist of all time, and tops billion dollar studios and multimillion dollar budgets confirmed!

News at 11

People think this is cg? This fisherman went into his secret fish cave lair of cg super computer and unfolded his master plan of creating the best fake dolphins ever and uploading them to YouTube to go viral?

I've heard it all now.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Apple making reality look like shit confirmed.

No way is that CG. Each dolphin has different marks/scars, so the guy in the comments is full of shit.

The guy wouldn't also try to get a kickstarter going for the torpedo housing, if he's fully interested in CG.

I just now skimmed through the comments to see more info on the kickstarter. If you want to film underwater, CG or not, you need housing and people are apparently interested in buying them. Making money is making money.

Dice

We aren't saying it IS CG, just talking about how something about it gives a similar look.

cbox

Your condescending attitude won't change the facts of the technical aspects of filming, how a $100,000 film camera is different from a $300 digital camera, and the different ways people perceive media according to those differences. You think broadcasters drop millions on documentaries for no reason? I guess you should let them know about GoPro cameras.

Speaking of attitudes...

Regardless, I know the differences between my gopro and a red epic, I'm astounded it fooled so many people in this thread despite the fact it's so obviously real. It looks like every other gopro video out there.

IN other news, gopro just released a new flat housing for the cameras, it helps with clarity under water - I'm curious if this dude used it or one of the many aftermarket flat housings.

bcl0328

after reading this thread, i have come to the conclusion none of you ever swim in the ocean or have seen dolphins in person.

jchap

great whites don't have fishing rods or other advanced means of catching fish. they just have their wits and teeth in their natural environment. don't compare the two.

So sharks can use their ability to swim 30 MPH, sense wounded prey from miles away, and multiple rows of razor sharp teeth to hunt but humans can't use their brains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom