• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish court 'orders Gollum study' in Erdogan case

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Turkish court has asked experts to assess the character Gollum from The Lord of the Rings in the case of a man on trial for insulting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish media report.

Bilgin Ciftci is accused of insulting the president for sharing images comparing Mr Erdogan and Gollum. The experts will reportedly decide whether or not this was an insult. It is not known precisely what criteria the experts will use to arrive at their decision.

The character of Gollum appears in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy by JRR Tolkien and the film versions directed by Peter Jackson. He was first introduced in the Hobbit as "a small, slimy creature". In the Lord of the Rings his longing for the ring distorted his body and mind.

The experts will be a group composed of two academics, two behavioural scientists or psychologists and an expert on cinema and television productions, the Today's Zaman newspaper reports.

The judge took the decision after admitting he had not seen the whole of the Lord of the Rings series in which Gollum features. The images shared by Mr Ciftci showed Mr Erdogan and Gollum in similar poses eating, expressing surprise and amazement.

The case has now been adjourned until February.

Insulting the president is a crime in Turkey, punishable by prison. Turkey's record on freedom of speech and treatment of journalists has come in for criticism in recent years, with Mr Erdogan's administration seen as being increasingly intolerant of criticism. Mr Erdogan's legal team has often backed cases brought by lawyers and private individuals against people who have allegedly insulted him.

Turkey's hard line on insults:
  • Between August 2014 and March 2015, 236 people investigated for "insulting the head of state"; 105 indicted; eight formally arrested
  • Between July and December 2014, Turkey filed 477 requests to Twitter for removal of content, over five times more than any other country and an increase of 156% on the first half of the year
  • Reporters Without Borders places Turkey 149th of 180 countries in the press freedom index
  • During Mr Erdogan's time in office (Prime Minister 2003-14, President from 2014), 63 journalists have been sentenced to a total of 32 years in prison, with collective fines of $128,000
  • Article 299 of the Turkish penal code states that anybody who insults the president of the republic can face a prison term of up to four years. This sentence can be increased by a sixth if committed publicly; and a third if committed by press or media

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34979249

Lock if old.

How do you run a political campaign in a democracy with that law in place? Surely the party in power could just drag any critics to...oh.

And the judge should totally recuse himself for being a LOTR noob.

Chuckie

So why was he compared to Gollum? Does he have the same Smeagol/Gollum kind of personality?

I have seen politicians like that, who speak nicely towards international press for instance, but totally different to crowds of supporters.

You decide.

CVMvLr-XIAA9wI5.jpg:large

funkypie

Banned
And people keep saying how wonderful turkey is. erdogan Has turned turkey into shit. I was going to do a detail thread on erdogab, he has been getting away with shit for to long.

lenos16

A lesson to those who think Turkey is a progressive country in the Middle East.

Gollum is more handsome btw.

They are progressive, compared relatively to their neighbors. This doesn't mean jack when you look at it as a whole. Same goes for Malaysia, where islamic laws top basic human rights when they are in conflict.

jorma

is now taking requests
And this is one of the more progressive countries in the region?

Well, at least they don't have the capital punishment which makes them a more progressive country than.. a lot of other countries that does.

Visceir

That article made me literally laugh out loud. When internet memes are being taken overly seriously.

This is what would happen if those 40% U.S. millenials got what they wanted.

jstripes

Banned
Bilgin Ciftci is accused of insulting the president for sharing images comparing Mr Erdogan and Gollum. The experts will reportedly decide whether or not this was an insult.

I don't know where to begin.

nynt9

Amazing that some people will blame this on Europeans.

This isn't expressly the fault of Europeans, but France and Greece iirc kept vetoing Turkey's entry to the EU when there was a big push in Turkey to join the EU. Then Erdogan came to power and that push gradually stopped happening. Some reasons to deny Turkey were legitimate, others less so, and no one knows what would have happened if Turkey joined the EU, but nowadays joining the EU is a pipe dream for Turkey.

Erdogan is a walking insult to the Turkish people.

Part of me agrees with this, part of me thinks they (we) deserve him. Depends on which half of the country you're looking at. He's terrible regardless, but some people legitimately want his terrible reign because religion, and they don't really care about anything else he does because he's "dear leader Erdogan, savior of the muslims", so there's nothing I can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom