• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish court 'orders Gollum study' in Erdogan case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I always found this to be such an odd law, especially given it is so new, only 10 years I think. But at the same time Turkey is incredibly nationalistic so it's also not completely unexpected that they have a law protecting the state and certain offices from insult, despite how illogical and detrimental it is.

Remind me of Lèse-majesté which still exists in a number of countries, including a few European ones, but I always think of Thailand simply because they revere King Bhumibol so much, but their enforcement of that law pales in comparison to Turkey and Erdogan.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Erdogan has sued 300+ people (among them kids) for insulting him. This case isn't even the dumbest one... sad stuff.

I always found this to be such an odd law, especially given it is so new, only 10 years I think. But at the same time Turkey is incredibly nationalistic so it's also not completely unexpected that they have a law protecting the state and certain offices from insult, despite how illogical and detrimental it is.

Remind me of Lèse-majesté which still exists in a number of countries, including a few European ones, but I always think of Thailand simply because they revere King Bhumibol so much.

Abdullah Gul his predecessor has sued exactly 0 people for insulting him in the 7 years he was president. He got alot of shit flung his way in that time, but nobody got sued. Erdogan is president for like a year now and look whats happening. This is purely his personal conquest to be some demi-god who can't be spoken ill off in Turkey. The dude is a total loony. I guess this is a preview of what's it like if Trump gets elected. So don't fuckin do it America!

It does not surprise me that Turkey still doesn't have a good track record.

Many countries restrict freedom of expression/press some way or another though
In France, Sarkozy has sued and won against ordinary people while he was minister and also while president. The big difference is there is no more jail sentence (since 2000 I think).
In fact this law was revoked two years ago (because of EU legislation) even though somebody may still get a fine up to 12000€ if the president (among other people) wants to sue.

And this is one of the more progressive countries in the region?
I guess so, for example women were allowed to vote in Turkey before they were allowed to do so in France. That was a while ago though.

nynt9

Turkey is military occupying part of the UE (north of Cyprus). They're not the ones being unreasonable here.

They are being unreasonable about cyprus, but describing the (unrecognized) occupation as purely military is facetious. They've turned it into its own state, with civilians living there and a bustling tourism industry. Actual people live there, it's not a military state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cyprus#Culture

I mean, I think it's pretty weird that that area is occupied, but at this point it's a mini-state independent of Turkey with its own president (way more liberal than Erdogan) and whatnot. It's not purely a military occupation, is my point. The state is not recognized by most official processes, and the Turkish military is present there, but the situation is a bit more complex.

I don't even know how Turkey would pull out at this point since it's a separate state from Turkey (only recognized by Turkey though), but the occupation just serves to create strife and make Turkey look bad. There are talks between the northern Cyprus government and Greek Cyprus government to alleviate the dispute and unite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Cyprus_talks and earlier this year Northern Cyprus removed visa requirements for Greek Cypriots to travel into TRNC. This is all done by the TRNC head of state though, Turkey considers them a separate state.

Business

You decide.

CVMvLr-XIAA9wI5.jpg:large

I couldn't see the physical likeness in my mind while reading the OT, but boy the second set did it for me.

Jag

Streisand effect. Needs more picture comparisons.

People should send them to Erdogan directly. No loss not being able to visit a piece of shit country that would jail you for memes.

Guy.brush

Easy out of any insult case:
I would never say that our president is a corrupt war profiteering pig with a small dick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom