• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn you PS3 into a full-fledged PVR w/MythTV and an external tuner

http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2007/01/mythtv-for-ps3-turn-your-ps3-into.html
http://www.keshi.org/blog/2007/01/mythtv_on_ps3_linux.html

ps3-convertx.jpg

ps3-mythtv-crt.jpg

ps3-mythtv2.png

ps3-mythtv3.png

Matt_C

Only if there is an English setup disc I can use to install into a PS3 partition. I could just forget about using MCE2005 and VCRs ;)

My processor is a weaksauce Athlon XP 2600+ so I do not think it will be that good in converting MPEG 2 videos with the MCE 1000 PVR. I think I need to download a MS-DVR drivers since I cannot record video anymore in MCE due my MPEG2 codec no longer working. I blame on the stupid WinDVD 5 software.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Danj

I thought the PS3 wasn't good enough to do this sort of thing yet because of the lack of graphics acceleration under PS3 Linux?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
btrboyev said:
pointless..and a waste of money. You might as well buy a dedicated pvr.

Well, it's one less box to worry about, plus HDMI. But the tuner expense is a shitbrick.

Does it support teh HDs?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Danj said:
I thought the PS3 wasn't good enough to do this sort of thing yet because of the lack of graphics acceleration under PS3 Linux?

Since it's not HD is can handle it just fine since the box does the encoding to either MPEG2/MPEG4 or DIVX

Playback of those files the PS3 can handle fine, just not in HD yet.

Danj

_leech_ said:
Nope, the tuner is SDTV only (review here). Considering they got Myth TV running on the PS3, i'd assume it's only a matter of driver support to get external ATSC tuners working.

No, because Linux on PS3 can't manage to play HD resolution video yet, because of the lack of graphics acceleration.

rage1973

Really pointless exercise in what can be done with PS3. Do you think Sony will ever enable PVR functionality in PS3? If so they will definitely have to upgrade the hard drive to something over 200gigs to be a decent one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Danj said:
No, because Linux on PS3 can't manage to play HD resolution video yet

720p MPEG2/DivX seems to be OK, IIRC. It depends on the codec.

It's not just 'the lack of graphics acceleration' that's holding this up more generally though, or holding up 1080p, but the lack of specific exploitation of Cell. That'll take time.

rage1973 said:
If so they will definitely have to upgrade the hard drive to something over 200gigs to be a decent one.

You can do this yourself now if you did want to use your PS3 for PVR. If Sony made PVR functionality part of the XMB OS, I'm sure they'd offer a variant with a bigger HDD out of the box, but it's openly upgradeable (even using 3.5" drives if you don't mind a 'dangling box', so to speak).

Suikoguy

speculawyer said:
SDTV only? Forget it then. Why not just do it with a PC?

Fine, if your PC is connected to your TV

speculawyer said:
SDTV only? Forget it then. Why not just do it with a PC?

They are doing it with a PC, silly. :D

Not sure why anyone would consider this "pointless" exactly, at least someone got it up and running at this point. It's a step.

Forsete

Gold Member
tirant said:
Any linux-compatible DVB USB stick should work too ;)

B000ALAWQ6.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Pretty nice. I miss the ability to record TV broadcast since I dont use the VHS any more. Recordable DVD players are too expensive IMO.

KINGMOKU

Suikoguy said:
Fine, if your PC is connected to your TV
I have a computer connected to my TV now.

I wish I understood HD television, and how to work the damn thing.

I have a question, somewhat un-=related. Can anyone help?

I now have a computer hooked to my TV. Can I watch movies in hi-def(720p-1080i) thru my computer in HD, or even TV thru my computer in HD?

I have zero clue as to what I have to do.

Javaman

Stinkles said:
Well, it's one less box to worry about, plus HDMI. But the tuner expense is a shitbrick.

Does it support teh HDs?

An external tuner is one less box then a dedicated DVR? Hmmmmm.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Javaman said:
An external tuner is one less box then a dedicated DVR? Hmmmmm.

I incorrectly assumed that the tuner was a USB dongle, and the red X just resolved into a DVR-sized box. So now you're right. It is basically more expensive and stupid.

But it does give hope that a USB dongle solution might be possible one day.

moku said:
I have a computer connected to my TV now.

I wish I understood HD television, and how to work the damn thing.

I have a question, somewhat un-=related. Can anyone help?

I now have a computer hooked to my TV. Can I watch movies in hi-def(720p-1080i) thru my computer in HD, or even TV thru my computer in HD?

I have zero clue as to what I have to do.

Depends what resolutions your TV takes through VGA/DVI-HDMI...

My TV takes HDMI, so I have a DVI-HDMI cable that is plugged from my PC's video card(DVI) to my TV(HDMI)... it takes a 1366X768 resolution which is the native resolution of my TV... I can then play movies in full screen mode. If it's just a DVD though, it's not really HD, as it gets stretched if played in full screen mode.

Oh ya, I also have to set my TV as the primary display...

Speevy

Banned
TheProfessor said:
So I have to use two computers instead of one.

Brilliant
brilliant.jpg

/sarcasm

Or you can just keep your PC, which does al of this more efficiently and cheaply than the PS3 ever will.

The Xbox 360's use of it is just so you can hook up other rooms.

R3Z

At least the PS3 would be able to post process using FFDSHOW, dont know about having the power to do that in HD - but that should be far away.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hey, I actually have that box! It sucks hard for playing games on the computer though :(

Suikoguy said:
No Cables ($79)
Hardly, the interface looks fine and $130 is pretty cheap, PVR are still pretty expensive.

PVR hardware is dirt cheap. The only thing this, and any MythTV setup has on Tivo is the lack of a subscription fee.

Though I'll take my comcast HD-DVRs over either of the above. $4.95 a month with no hardware costs, and I can play games while it records. bonus!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I have this USB unit, but I wanna use something like this on windows and the program that came with it ****ing sucks. Does anyone have any recommendations?

SageTV
BeyondTV
GBPVR
MediaPortal
etc...

Try GBPVR and MediaPortal first, since they are free. If they aren't enough, or if you have problems, I'd recommend Sage. MythTV is much better than any of the windows applications though (once it is set up).

kiUNiT

ps3-convertx.jpg

While this is a step in the right direction, the exclusion of rear usb ports on the PS3 is going to make most setups a Home Theater eyesore compared to a 360 connected to a windows pc with access to all of your media and up to four ntsc and atsc hdtv tuners with full PVR functionallity. Add to the this all of the complaining about the 360s power brick that you cannot see in comparisson to that mess above and I can't see most PS3 users using this setup after comments of the PS3s Aesthetic elegance .

RuGalz

kiUNiT said:
While this is a step in the right direction, the exclusion of rear usb ports on the PS3 is going to make most setups a Home Theater eyesore compared to a 360 connected to a windows pc with access to all of your media and up to four ntsc and atsc hdtv tuners with full PVR functionallity. Add to the this all of the complaining about the 360s power brick that you cannot see in comparisson to that mess above and I can't see most PS3 users using this setup after comments of the PS3s Aesthetic elegance .

If he had hid the unit, which you can easily do, you'd be complaining that the picture is photoshopped instead.

kiUNiT

RuGalz said:
If he had hid the unit, which you can easily do, you'd be complaining that the picture is photoshopped instead.

Nice reply you bring up some interesting thoughts. so I should hide my PS3 in the lower part of my cabinet with my 360s power brick instead of the upper shelves with the glass doors, nice solution. You think my wanting a rear usb port is a troll? maybee I would like to hide a usb hub that can connect a tv tuner,external harddrive or a usb IR port for use with a harmony remote.

RuGalz

kiUNiT said:
Nice reply you bring up some interesting thoughts. so I should hide my PS3 in the lower part of my cabinet with my 360s power brick instead of the upper shelves with the glass doors, nice solution. You think my wanting a rear usb port is a troll? maybee I would like to hide a usb hub that can connect a tv tuner,external harddrive or a usb IR port for use with a harmony remote.
No, wanting a rear usb port isn't trolling but what you did was you showed a setup that's obviously not trying to be elegant and say "look at that setup, that's how messy your ps3 is going to be if you try to do any of this PVR stuff" which is absurd.

On the other note, you can find smaller profile usb cable that won't stick out of the front of the PS3 as much as normal cable for wiring a usb hub to tuck things away.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
kiUNiT said:

something like this might help with having a more discreet install. I agree that front USB is a PITA, especially as IMO the best angle for PS3 is vertical with the front facing slightly forward. So any USB connections will stand out.

rr-usb-001r-12.jpg

Top Bottom