• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Pilots |OT| The Season's Dead, But Development Hell is Forever

berzeli

Banned
Syfy continues with throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks their efforts with original programming by developing a show based on Brave New World.

Syfy and Steven Spielberg’s Amblin TV are partnering to develop a scripted series based on Aldous Huxley’s classic novel Brave New World.

The book is set in a world without poverty, war or disease. In this world, humans are given mind-altering drugs, free sex and rampant consumerism are the order of the day and people no longer reproduce but are genetically engineered in “hatcheries.” Those who won’t conform are forced onto “reservations” – until one of these “savages” challenges the system, threatening the entire social order. First published in 1932, Brave New World was ranked fifth among the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th Century by Modern Library.

Amblin TV’s Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey will executive produce. Les Bohem will write the screenplay and also executive produce. Universal Cable Prods is the studio.

I guess it could end up not being awful?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Shonda Rhimes, Dee Rees Team for FX Drama Based on 'The Warmth of Other Suns'

Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers' Shondaland banner is heading to cable.

The prolific producers behind ABC's Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder are teaming with Pariah writer/director Dee Rees to adapt Isabel Wilkerson's The Warmth of Other Suns as a limited series for FX, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The historical study, published in 2010, chronicles the decades-long migration of black citizens who fled the South for northern and western cities, in search of a better life. From 1915 to 1970, the exodus of almost 6 million people changed the face of America.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hulu Lands ‘Myst’ Drama From Legendary TV & Matt Tolmach Based On Video Game

The project hails from Legendary Television, The Amazing Spider-Man and Sinister Six producer Matt Tolmach and ]Divergent writer Evan Daugherty.

Written by Daugherty, Myst blends elements of science fiction and fantasy. It will explore the origins of the island of Myst from the game where a man wakes up on a mystery island with absolutely no idea who he is, where is, or how he got there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Spotless’ Is Esquire Network’s First Scripted Drama Order

A sexy and bold one-hour drama laced with dark humor and set in London, SPOTLESS is the story of a troubled man, Jean Bastiere (Grondin) whose life is turned upside down when his outlaw brother, Martin (Ménochet), crash lands into his world. Played out against the backdrop of Jean’s Crime Scene Cleaning business, the brothers must confront dark sins of the past and very real dangers in the present. Ensnared by mob boss Nelson Clay (Coyle), corruption, drugs and death pose a constant hazard. With Jean’s wife Julie (Raison), the entire family struggles to gain control over their lives and future.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Not going to watch this simply because of how frustrating that damn game was as a kid.
I got it for Christmas and it practically broke my family's computer, despite our system meeting all requirements. I've still never played it to this day :/ I felt so guilty about the money my grandmother wasted on that game.

Wiktor

It seems like Lucifer pilot is picking up steam and might go a series.

I don't know if I'm happy or terrified. Probably both :D
That said, I will allow myself to be hopefull. By Deadline article it seems the pilot script (the one everybody was crapping on) actually got weak response. And then director took it and turned it into gold and FOX will likely be replacing the showrunner. So it might turn out to be something a lot different and hopefullly better than the leaks would suggest

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
USA Network announced the 13-episode series pick-up of the drama QUEEN OF THE SOUTH, starring Alice Braga (“City of God”)

The series is based on the literary page-turner “La Reina Del Sur,” the top-selling novel by the internationally acclaimed author Arturo Pérez-Reverte, which also yielded a Telemundo series that became one of the most popular telenovelas of all time for USA’s sister network. The series is slated to premiere in 2016.

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH tells the powerful story of Teresa Mendoza (Braga). When her drug-dealing boyfriend is unexpectedly murdered in Mexico, Teresa is forced to go on the run and seek refuge in America, where she teams with an unlikely figure from her past to bring down the leader of the very drug trafficking ring that has her on the run. In the process, she learns the tools of the trade and strategically positions herself to become the leader of the Cartel.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
TNT announced a pair of pilots: Will, which revolves around a young William Shakespeare and is told in raucous style by filmmaker Baz Lurhmann’s long-time writing partner, Craig Pearce; and Animal Kingdom, which is described as a family crime drama set in a gritty surf community.

Source

berzeli

Banned

Is Animal Kingdom based on the film of the same name? Because that too was a gritty family crime drama.

Also Ratsky, I kind of feel you buried the lead; The Alienist getting picked up with episodes directed by Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre, True Dick) and written by Hossein Amini (Real Human Being and a Real Hero). Sounds super promising, like damn.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is Animal Kingdom based on the film of the same name? Because that too was a gritty family crime drama.

I was wondering about that too, though if it was a remake I'm sure they would've mentioned it.

Also Ratsky, I kind of feel you buried the lead; The Alienist getting picked up with episodes directed by Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre, True Dick) and written by Hossein Amini (Real Human Being and a Real Hero). Sounds super promising, like damn.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1045594

;)

Dan

Deadline says the Animal Kingdom pilot is based off the movie, and comes from EPs John Wells and Jonathan Lisco.

berzeli

Banned
I was wondering about that too, though if it was a remake I'm sure they would've mentioned it.

It is a remake, "Animal Kingdom, an adaptation of the 2010 Australian feature, is a family crime drama set in a gritty surf community, from executive producers John Wells and Jonathan Lisco." as per Deadline. Fucking hell how many non-American properties are getting a TV show at the moment?
Way too many.

Oh.

Dan

It is a remake, "Animal Kingdom, an adaptation of the 2010 Australian feature, is a family crime drama set in a gritty surf community, from executive producers John Wells and Jonathan Lisco." as per Deadline. Fucking hell how many non-American properties are getting a TV show at the moment?
Way too many.
How many American properties are getting TV shows at the moment? Rush Hour, Limitless, Uncle Buck, Minority Report, The Omen, Westworld, etc. A very significant portion of all shows nowadays are based on some preexisting property, whether it's foreign or domestic, or from a movie, show, comic, book, etc.

berzeli

Banned
How many American properties are getting TV shows at the moment? Rush Hour, Limitless, Uncle Buck, Minority Report, The Omen, Westworld, etc. A very significant portion of all shows nowadays are based on some preexisting property, whether it's foreign or domestic, or from a movie, show, comic, book, etc.

Granted, I could be wrong about this, but that type at least have more precedent (it isn't even the first TV adaptation of Uncle Buck). I know that British to American (and vice versa) is and has been quite common but it feels like there has been a larger influx of non-English properties lately (Bron->The Bridge; Les Revenants->The Returned, etc). Maybe it is just my bitterness over how badly they fucked up Les Revenants that is making me acerbic about US remakes at the moment.

Dan

Granted, I could be wrong about this, but that type at least have more precedent (it isn't even the first TV adaptation of Uncle Buck). I know that British to American (and vice versa) is and has been quite common but it feels like there has been a larger influx of non-English properties lately (Bron->The Bridge; Les Revenants->The Returned, etc). Maybe it is just my bitterness over how badly they fucked up Les Revenants that is making me acerbic about US remakes at the moment.
There have certainly always been adaptations, but there's definitely been a big push by studios and production companies to dig into their catalogs and see what they already own and can further exploit. The foreign remakes are just more often egregiously stupid or worthless.

Don't worry, Les Revenants is back later this year! It's happening!

Dan

- Deadline: Jason Alexander To Star In New Comedy Pilot On Adult Swim — Upfront
The doctor is in. Seinfeld alum Jason Alexander has signed to star in a new comedy pilot for Adult Swim, created by Adam Lustick (The Harvard Sailing Team, Silicon Valley, The Office). The Untitled Jason Alexander pilot revolves around an award-winning psychotherapist (Alexander) who snaps one day and his therapy with his patients becomes more and more bizarre. However, he is such a celebrated doctor that his peers are reluctant to question his strange and unconventional methods. The quarter-hour, live-action pilot is being produced in-house via Alive and Kicking. Adult Swim is making its pitch to advertisers today during the Turner Broadcasting System upfront presentation in NYC. The Turner-owned net announced its 2015-16 slate last week ahead of today’s presentation.

berzeli

Banned
There have certainly always been adaptations, but there's definitely been a big push by studios and production companies to dig into their catalogs and see what they already own and can further exploit. The foreign remakes are just more often egregiously stupid or worthless.

Don't worry, Les Revenants is back later this year! It's happening!

Oh I'm well aware of the how and whys of this push, that doesn't mean that I have to like it. And like I said, fucking The Returned has soured me on them greatly. I mean how the fuck do you manage to make literally everything worse, even not matching the originals poor CGI bus crash? That show is probably one of the few times I've actually gotten upset over how shitty something is. But The Bridge turned out fairly well no? I've yet to see it but I wasn't as big a fan of the original as others so it has that going for it in terms of not being worse.

I know finally, saison deux, woooooo!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
David E. Kelley Legal Drama, Shane Black Western Among Amazon Pilot Orders

No official word from the streaming service yet but I’ve learned of four projects that are getting pilot orders. That includes a new legal drama from The Practice creator David E. Kelley titled Trial.

Lethal Weapon and Iron Man 3 screenwriter Shane Black has Edge, a spaghetti Western based on the Edge books by George Gilman. Fred Dekker, who is working with Black on the upcoming Predator sequel, wrote the teleplay from a story by him and Black who will direct.

I hear Amazon’s latest batch of pilots also includes The Patriot, from The Pursuit of Happyness‘ Steve Conrad. It is a comedic thriller/family dramedy about a father working at the state department and his two sons, a senator and a Iraq war veteran with PTSD who wants to be a folk singer.

The Good Girls Revolt is a 1970s drama in the vein of Mad Men that is set at Newsweek. It was written by Dana Calvo (Covert Affairs) who is executive producing with Lynda Obst for Sony TV Studios.

Amazon had no comment.

Spaghetti Western TV series from Shane Black!! WANT

Wiktor

Every single one of those words sounds amazing.

It still has to go through that weird ass amazon pilot vote thing, right?

Probably. But that said, Amazon has been picking some series up straight, without the pilot season recently. if they like what they see I wouldn't be surprised if they gave ok for whole season.

I enjoy Amazon pilots seasons because there's just nothing else like them. But it takes really long from pilot for the series too debut. Too damn long.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Jude Law Confirmed For Paolo Sorrentino’s ‘The Young Pope’, Co-Pro Between HBO, Sky And Canal +

The long-rumoured casting comes as the eight part series is confirmed as three way co-production between HBO, Sky and Canal +.

The project tells the story of the beginning of the Pontificate of Pius XIII, born Lenny Belardo (Law). He was a complex and conflicted character, so conservative in his choices as to border on obscurantism, yet full of compassion towards the weak and poor. This Pope is a man of great power who’s stubbornly resistant to the Vatican courtiers, unconcerned with the implications for his authority. During the series, Belardo will face losing those closest to him and the constant fear of being abandoned, even by his God. A man who is, however, not afraid of undertaking the millennial mission of defending that same God and the world representing Him.

Production on The Young Pope will begin this summer and continue through early 2016. The series will film predominantly in Italy with additional locations to include the United States, Africa and Puerto Rico.

berzeli

Banned
YES BUT HOW COULD IT NOT GET PICKED UP ZOMZ

I don't trust people.

Probably. But that said, Amazon has been picking some series up straight, without the pilot season recently. if they like what they see I wouldn't be surprised if they gave ok for whole season.

I enjoy Amazon pilots seasons because there's just nothing else like them. But it takes really long from pilot for the series too debut. Too damn long.

I just find the entire endeavour a bit odd.

Neat. I wonder if Sorrentino will direct all episodes though.

Dan

- Deadline: Mini About Hero Lawman Bass Reeves In Works At HBO With Morgan Freeman, Lori McCreary & James Pickens Producing
The story of one of the least known heroes of the Old West, Deputy Marshal Bass Reeves, is finally headed to the screen. HBO has put in development an untitled event miniseries project, from Morgan Freeman and Lori McCreary’s Revelations Entertainment and Grey’s Anatomy co-star James Pickens, Jr.

Written by John Sayles (Lone Star) based on Art T. Burton’s biography Black Gun, Silver Star: The Life and Legend of Frontier Marshal Bass Reeves, the untitled event miniseries tells the story of the great Bass Reeves who escaped from slavery during the civil war, fleeing into Indian territory where he honed his firearm skills. He went on to become one of the first black US Deputy Marshals in the Oklahoma territory deputized by the legendary “hanging judge” Isaac C. Parker. With his heroics — a master of disguises, a great shot and one of the most effective lawmen in Indian territory who brought in more than 3,000 outlaws and killed some 14 –Reeves is rumored to be the inspiration for The Lone Ranger character who could not be cast in that era as a black man, so he was made into a white man with a black mask.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
AMC Takes Straight-To-Series Approach, Sets Up Writers Rooms For 3 Dramas

AMC is moving ahead with three of the scripts recently selected by the network for further consideration. But in a twist, instead of going to pilot, the three projects will set up writers rooms and work on scripts and outlines with an eye toward straight-to-series orders.

Goliath
Plan B
Writer/producer: David Kajganich
Director: Sean Durkin (Martha Marcy May Marlene) is attached
Producers: DeDe Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner
Originally set up at HBO, the project is based on the book The Autobiography Of An Execution by David R. Dow.

Lodge 49
Writer: Jim Gavin
Producers: Paul Giamatti & Dan Carey
A young knucklehead from Long Beach joins a dusty old fraternal lodge.

The Son
Sonar Entertainment/Shinebox
Writers/producers: Philipp Meyer, Lee Shipman & Brian McGreevy
Producer: Michael Connolly
Based on the novel of the same name by Meyer, the project is a multi-generational epic telling of the story of America’s birth as a superpower through the bloody rise and fall of one Texas oil empire.

AMC also may be phasing out its semiannual producer meetings where writers and producers of scripts identified by the network brass as pilot contenders would lay out their vision for their shows.

Dan

Anyway at least they picked up Goliath, although the show's title pales in comparison with the book one.
None of those shows are formally ordered. They're just skipping the pilot process and developing a bigger picture of the show with a writers room and multiple episode scripts. Then they'll either pick up a full season or scrap it.

berzeli

Banned
None of those shows are formally ordered. They're just skipping the pilot process and developing a bigger picture of the show with a writers room and multiple episode scripts. Then they'll either pick up a full season or scrap it.

Sigh, wishful reading on my part. Oh well, at least there is still hope.

Futurematic

Is that better or worse than the old "bake-off" approach?

Assuming AMC pays fairly for the extra time and extra writers and said writers still finish the additional work in time to find another gig if AMC passes... I'd have to say good for the people (more money), and good for AMC since they get a clear(er) idea of how the first season will turn out and save pilot money.

Edit:
Downside is that if this becomes commonplace all the other people that work on pilots lose out. But I can't imagine it becoming very common, networks are too dumb. Their version of this idea was to order straight to series and just pump out the cash without really knowing what would happen, AMC is looking for a middle ground I suppose.

- Deadline: Cinemax Developing Bruce Lee-Inspired Crime Drama ‘Warrior’ From Justin Lin
А passion project for martial arts icon Bruce Lee and Fast & Furious director Justin Lin is headed to the small screen with a deal at Cinemax. The premium cable network has put in development drama series Warrior, inspired by writings of the Enter The Dragon actor. Lin is set to direct the potential pilot, written by Jonathan Tropper, co-creator of Banshee, Cinemax’s first homegrown hit from its current foray into primetime drama programming.
Warrior is described as a visceral crime drama that traces the path of a gifted but morally corrupt fighter thrown into crisis after a lifelong quest for vengeance is undermined.
Ahhhhh Cinemax is amazing. Can't wait for Quarry.

Wiktor

Cinemax monopolizing actions shows segment on TV :D Love it.
Now please give us some news about John Rain. And Quarry trailer plz :)

Dan

Is that better or worse than the old "bake-off" approach?
I think it's probably hard to get worse than the bake-off. I'm sure Ivy would have more personal insight, but I would imagine one of the downsides to trying to launch a writers room without a series greenlight is that a lot of writers wouldn't want to commit to that time/effort when there's a reasonable chance they end up without any product being produced with their credits on it. Sure, they get a paycheck, but maybe not much to show for it. The opportunity cost of doing that instead of jumping on a show with confirmed episode orders might be rather high for many people, unless it represents a potential step up for your career (ie. assistant -> staff writer).

I know when I'm weighing multiple gigs, a relatively guaranteed schedule and episode count is a factor rather than crossing my fingers that something more tentative will ultimately payoff.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Epix gets into the original scripted game with a drama and a comedy

Epix, the premium TV network/VOD service, will be entering the original scripted series field with a 10-episode straight-to-series order to Graves, a half-hour comedy starring Nick Nolte as a former President of the United States.

Epix has made that official, along with a second 10-episode series order, to espionage drama Berlin Station.

In Graves, twenty years after his presidency, former President Richard Graves (Nolte) has the epiphany that his policies have damaged the country for decades and so, with his young assistant, he goes on a Don Quixote-like journey to right his administration’s wrongs just as his wife, the former First Lady, decides to follow her own political ambitions. The series was created by Joshua Michael Stern (Swing Vote) who will write, direct and executive produce the series. Oscar winner Greg Shapiro will also be an executive producer.

Berlin Station follows Daniel Meyer, a newly anointed case officer who has arrived at the CIA foreign station in Berlin, Germany. It with a clandestine mission: to uncover the source of a leak who has supplied information to a now-famous whistleblower named “Thomas Shaw.”

Michaël Roskam is set to direct the first two episodes and spy novelist Olen Steinhauer is writing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HBO Developing VA Hospital Limited Series

Warner Horizon and Timberman/Beverly are producing the project, now in development, which is looking for a director in anticipation of a pilot order.

Unarmed centers on Amos Searl, a civilian psychiatrist new to his practice at an Armed Forces medical center that specializes in treating amputees and burn victims, critically wounded veterans just returned from America’s recent wars. A double amputee from life’s wars himself, Searl — a man who has always questioned authority — tries to make sense and give meaning to our soldiers, the young men and women who are trying, like him, to find their way home.‎

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
FX Orders Toon Pilot ‘Cassius & Clay’

FX is returning to the animated game with Cassius & Clay, a pilot that follows two women living as bandits in a futuristic, postapocalyptic America. Described as being in the vein of Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, the project from writer-EPs Megan Ganz and Adam Reed stars Kaitlin Olson as Ordwood Cassius, a hard-drinking, quick-thinking, fast-talking bullshitter who has more debts than sense, and Lake Bell as Shopcarter Clay, the fastest gun in the postapocalyptic South; she doesn’t go looking for trouble, she shares a station wagon with it.

The cast also includes Susan Sarandon, Jeffrey Tambor, JB Smoove, Robert Patrick, Stephen Root, Kevin Michael Richardson and Katy Mixon.

Dan

That sounds like it could be great. Megan Ganz and Adam Reed? Thumbs up. Kaitlin Olson and Lake Bell? Thumbs up.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
YouTube’s ‘The Gorburger Show’ Moving To TV With HBO Pilot Order

After a two-season run on YouTube, T.J. Miller’s Funny or Die/Warner Music web series The Gorburger Show is headed to television. HBO has ordered a pilot for the half-hour project, created, co-written and directed by Josh Martin and Ryan McNeely (aka The Director Brothers) and co-written by Silicon Valley‘s Miller who also voices and puppets the title character, an animatronic monster.

The Gorburger Show, which is currently filming in Los Angeles, is a talk show hosted by a giant blue space monster (Miller) who has invaded a Japanese morning talk show and held its staff hostage as he attempts to understand what it means to be human by interviewing celebrities, musicians, cultural icons, and Moby. Like any talker, The Gorburger Show features celebrity and musical guests. Booked for the HBO pilot are Ed Helms, Johnny Knoxville, Moby and a music collaboration with Danny Brown and HEALTH, with Eagles of Death Metal performing a new song from their upcoming LP.

Oookay then.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HBO Gives 2-Season Order To ‘Animals’ Animated Comedy From Duplass Brothers

HBO has picked up two seasons of animated series Animals, produced by Duplass Brothers Television for a 2016 debut on the pay cable network and its streaming platforms.

As usual, the network is not providing a number of episodes but the producers originally envisioned 10-episode seasons for the project, created by Phil Matarese & Mike Luciano.

Animals revolves around the downtrodden creatures native to Earth’s least habitable environment: New York City. Whether it’s lovelorn rats, gender-questioning pigeons or aging bedbugs in the midst of a midlife crisis, the awkward small talk, moral ambiguity and existential woes of non-human urbanites prove startlingly similar to our own.

HBO doubling down on the weirdness.

Top Bottom