• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Pilots |OT| The Season's Dead, But Development Hell is Forever

Oh, so the books are good? Maybe it stands a chance then!
I liked them, but it's a high rent version of vampire/post-apocalyptic narrative. Enjoyment will depend on if that's your cup of tea, to some extent. Cronin writes well and certainly elevates the material, plus it's a much more adult series than I expected.

It'll be a tough adaptation because of the scope and length of the book series. They cover a ton of characters, locations, multiple time periods, etc... throughout the series not to mention the effects work that'll be necessary. I'm glad they're taking a crack at it, but it'll be difficult to pull it off.
Sounds good!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Holly Hunter to Star in Alan Ball's New HBO Family Drama Series

Alan Ball has hit the mother lode, tapping Oscar winner Holly Hunter to play the matriarch in his new tragicomic family drama for HBO.

The Six Feet Under and True Blood boss’ untitled series focuses on the contemporary multi-racial Black-Bishop family: a philosophy professor, his lawyer wife (Hunter), their three adopted children from Somalia, Vietnam and Colombia, and their sole biological child. This seemingly perfect, progressive family is in actuality harboring deep rifts. Then, one of the children begins to see things others cannot. Is it mental illness? Or something else?

yes go alan ball

I liked them, but it's a high rent version of vampire/post-apocalyptic narrative. Enjoyment will depend on if that's your cup of tea, to some extent. Cronin writes well and certainly elevates the material, plus it's a much more adult series than I expected.

It'll be a tough adaptation because of the scope and length of the book series. They cover a ton of characters, locations, multiple time periods, etc... throughout the series not to mention the effects work that'll be necessary. I'm glad they're taking a crack at it, but it'll be difficult to pull it off.
Sounds good!

I adored the books so I'm excited to see what they do with it but it being on fox doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in me. Better suited for cable in my mind but even that avenue hasn't been a guarantee of successful adaptation lately. Maybe I'm wrong. Thinking back I guess there isn't too much violence or stuff they'd have to cut out for censors but the budget would have to be pretty large for me to be satisfied

- TNT Orders ‘Snowpiercer’ Pilot Based On Movie From Tomorrow Studios
TNT has given a pilot order to Snowpiercer, a futuristic thriller drama based on the acclaimed 2013 feature by Bong Joon Ho, which starred Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton and Song Kang-ho. The pilot will be co-produced by Tomorrow Studios — Marty Adelstein’s joint venture with ITV Studios — and Turner’s Studio T.

Tomorrow Studios optioned the rights to Snowpiercer last year, tapping Josh Friedman, who has extensive futuristic/sci-fi credentials, to write the series adaptation. Friedman previously created the Fox series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, also based on a movie franchise, and has written/co-written such movies as War of the Worlds and some of the Avatar sequels.

Snowpiercer is set seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, and the remnants of humanity inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe. The show questions class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival. In addition to producing a pilot, the project is getting backup scripts written.

Friedman serves as writer, executive producer and showrunner. Also executive producing the pilot are Tomorrow Studios’ Adelstein (Aquarius, Prison Break, Teen Wolf, Last Man Standing) and Becky Clements (Aquarius, Last Man Standing), and the original film’s Bong Joon Ho, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hunand Dooho Choi, along with CJ Entertainment, which distributed the South Korean movie, based on the French graphic novel Le Transperceneige by Jacques Lob, Benjamin Legrand and Jean-Marc Rochette.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Cinemax Picks Up Serial Killer Limited Series From ‘The Missing’ Creators

Cinemax has picked up Rellik, a six-episode limited series from The Missing team of creators Harry and Jack Williams and production companies Two Brothers Pictures and New Pictures. The project was commissioned by BBC One last year.

Written by the Williams brothers, Rellik is a serial killer story told backward. That explains the unusual title for the series, which is “Killer” spelled backward. While the killer will be revealed at the beginning, the thriller drama is said to offer a surprising take as it traces back the killer’s story. Helmer Sam Miller, an Emmy nominee for his work on Luther, will direct.

Rellik is designed for a limited run with a possibility for future installments.

Just what Cinemax needs to bolster their slate of original programming - a 6 episode limited series!

berzeli

Banned
Update: Might not be happening
There hasn’t been a single ruling in MGM’s copyright lawsuit for a Buckaroo Banzai TV series, but there’s already two clear casualties: Kevin Smith and the show itself, at least for now. After the studio filed legal paperwork November 23 against the 1984 movie’s director W.D. Richter and writer Earl Mac Rauch, the Clerks creator went online today to declare “I’m no longer involved” with the proposed Amazon TV series version.
There is a video from Kevin Smith in the article, in which he apparently talks about it. I really don't know. Like I listened to it for a couple of minutes and he rambled about 50 different subjects giving insight in 0 of them.
Kevin Smith needs a goddamn editor outside of his film/TV work as well.

- ‘Sons Of Anarchy’ Spinoff ‘Mayans MC’ Gets FX Pilot Order; Kurt Sutter Directing
Kurt Sutter has his motor running again on FX as the cabler today gave the next chapter in hosSons Of Anarchy saga a pilot order with the Lucas Stand author set to direct. Production on the first chapter of Mayans MC is set to start in March with Sutter as executive producer and co-creator Elgin James as co-EP.

Set in the aftermath of Jax Teller’s death at the end of SOA’s seven season run in 2014, Mayans MC will focus on the struggles of EZ Reyes, a prospect in the Mayan MC charter on the California/Mexico border. Fans of SOA will remember the Mayans as important recurring characters on the series, which was and remains the highest rated drama FX has ever had.

Former gang member James’ directorial debut Little Birds, starring Juno Temple and Leslie Mann, premiered in competition at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. Not long afterwards, he went behind bars for a gang-related charge of federal extortion. Little Birds was released in 2012 by Millennium Entertainment and went on to win a National Board of Review award. James is set to helm direct A Million Little Pieces for John Wells and Brad Pitt’s Plan B Entertainment. He is also putting together a project on actress and activist Jean Seberg’s life adapted from the Breathless biography.

Vert boil

woou8ozl.gif

Borrowed 11/22/63 from the library. I read half of the book and liked it, and it was also filmed around me.

The acting and writing are kind of cheesy at the start, and it's not the best show, but I'm enjoying it. I'm 3/8 episodes in.

We never got it in Canada.

- ‘Strike Back’ Reboot Gets Series Order By Cinemax & Sky, Sets Core Cast
Strike Back is back. A new incarnation of the popular action series with new characters and a new cast has been greenlighted by Cinemax and Sky to film in 2017. Alin Sumarwata, Daniel MacPherson, Roxanne McKee and Warren Brown are set to star in the new season of the show — its sixth overall and fifth on Cinemax — from the franchise’s executive producer Andy Harries of Left Bank Pictures.

I hear Harries — who was behind the original season-long Strike Back on Sky starring Richard Armitage and Andrew Lincoln, and the Cinemax-Sky collaboration, toplined by Sullivan Stapleton and Philip Winchester, which ran for four seasons — had the idea for another reboot, with both networks embraced.

I hear the new Strike Back is evolving from the buddy cop formula of the original into a diverse ensemble in the mold of The Fast and the Furious franchise. And while the previous incarnation was focused largely on the remnants of Al-Qaeda, the storylines of the new Strike Back will now reflect the rise of ISIS. There are no current plans for Stapleton or Winchester to reprise their roles but I hear that is a possibility.

In the new Strike Back, written by Jack Lothian, disavowed and disbanded, the Section program is restored in order to track down a notorious terrorist following a brutal prison break. Tasked with covert military intelligence and high-risk operations, the resurrected unit embarks on a lethal manhunt that will uncover a vast web of interconnected criminal activity. As the team journey across the Middle East and Europe, they uncover a deadly conspiracy which threatens to overwhelm them all and change the face of modern warfare forever.

Sumarwata plays Gracie Novin, a gear-head who is looking to make the step up. Genuine, honest to the point of bluntness, she’s the heart and soul of the team. Macpherson plays Samuel Wyatt, a bar-room philosopher who works best alone and has no intention of being dragged into a team situation. McKee plays Natalie Roberts, she comes from a military family, excels at psychological profiles and seeking weaknesses in others, although she might be blinded to her own fault-lines. Brown is Daniel “Mac” Macallister, a man of his word, physically capable, driven by a desire to avenge the team he’s lost. Easy going, affable, and utterly deadly.

berzeli

Banned
Amazon Studios Takes Flight With Hot Package ‘The Aeronauts’
After feverish bidding, Amazon Studios is nearing a deal for Jack Thorne’s spec script The Aeronauts, developed and set to be directed by Tom Harper.

This has been one of the hottest UK projects floating around, and we’re hearing there were at least six companies vying for the project. But Amazon came out on top with what is believed to be a potential seven-figure deal. The script is based on the true story of balloon pilot Amelia Wren and scientist James Glaisher who, in 1862, embark on an extraordinary journey to discover the secrets of the heavens. In the process, they fly higher in an open balloon than anyone ever has – either before or since. They make breathtaking discoveries, but as they ascend to the highest reaches of the atmosphere, they are forced into an epic fight for survival.

Thorne is one of the most sought-after Brit screenwriters out there at the moment. In April, he signed on to adapt Philip Pullman’s epic trilogy of fantasy novels His Dark Materials for BBC One, with New Line Cinema producing the event series with UK-U.S. production firm Bad Wolf. He first broke out on the scene for his work on youth-oriented series Skins and has won four BAFTA TV awards for This Is England ’88, The Fades, Don’t Take My Baby and This Is England ’90. He also wrote the smash play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling. Thorne also was a writer on Wonder, based on the novel by RJ Palacio for Mandeville Films/Lionsgate, with Julia Roberts and Jacob Tremblay starring.

Harper is also hot property in the UK directing space, thanks to his work on BBC miniseries War & Peace, which aired to rave reviews. His TV credits include Peaky Blinders, Misfits and This Is England ’86, and he recently was tapped to direct the opening episode of AMC’s straight-to-series drama The Son, from Sonar Entertainment and AMC Studios.
Jack Thorne is so good, so this cold be very exciting

- Deadline: HBO Developing Space Drama From J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot & Writer Javier Gullón
Titled Glare, the project, now in development at at the premium cable network, is written by Spanish feature writer Javier Gullón. It is a sci-fi odyssey exploring the colonization of another planet.

Gullón executive produces with Bad Robot’s Abrams and Ben Stephenson. Warner Bros. TV, where Bad Robot is based, is the studio; it also is behind HBO/Bad Robot’s Westworld.

Glare stems from a blind deal Bad Robot signed with Gullón a year ago. Gullón had been identified by Bad Robot’s head of TV Stephenson, who developed the project based on an original idea by Javier.

Gullón, who has multiple produces features oversees, drew Hollywood attention recently with his dramatic thriller spec script 478, which was made with Arnold Schwarzenegger starring and E/F/O, Protozoa and producer Peter Dealbert producing for release next year. Gullón recently adapted the novel The Dark Side, a sci-fi noir set on the moon, for 20th Century Fox with Steve Zaillian producing which is currently out to directors. This marks the first foray into TV for Gullón who also previously wrote the Denis Villeneuve directed Enemy which starred Jake Gyllenhaal.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
TNT has picked up 'Claws' to series!

'Claws' follows the rise of five diverse and treacherous manicurists working at the Nail Artisan of Manatee County salon, where there is a lot more going on than silk wraps and pedicures.

HBO weeping

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Writer Melanie Marnich Inks Overall Deal With AMC

Under the pact, Marnich is working on two drama projects in development at the network.

One is Furniss, from Awake creator Kyle Killen, about a teenage orphan’s new life with her birth father and his family, complicated by her connection to secret supernatural events in their rural town.

The other is Crater Lake, a life-affirming, character-driven show about death from Keshet and Gordin Cell creator Ron Leshem.

I see Kyle Killen is FINALLY getting his shot at making a cable series on cable.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
- Hollywood Reporter: 'Mr. Robot' Creator Sam Esmail Developing Miniseries Based on Sci-Fi Classic 'Metropolis'
The writer-director is readying miniseries Metropolis based on Fritz Lang's classic 1927 sci-fi film, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The project is being developed at Universal Cable Productions, where Esmail has a seven-figure overall deal. UCP declined comment.

Sources say the showrunner's exact role in Metropolis is still being negotiated as the project is in the very early stage of development. Insiders add that the studio isn't aiming to launch the miniseries for another two to three years. Should Mr. Robot stick to its tentative four- to five-season plan, that timing would potentially allow for Esmail's schedule to free up to where he could be more involved in the project. (He's been famously hands-on with Mr. Robot, even going so far as to direct every episode last season.)
Metropolis will be executive produced by Esmail and his manager, Anonymous Content's Chad Hamilton, who also is an executive producer on USA Network's Mr. Robot. The writers' room for the miniseries is said to be a less traditional setup. Insiders say it consists of only two or three scribes total, and is more of a "concept-room" in that the focus is less on writing scripts and more on figuring out conceptually how the movie could be adapted into an episodic series.

Sources say UCP is preparing to spend a hefty $10 million per episode, and that while the studio normally prioritizes its portfolio of networks (USA Network, Syfy, Bravo, E!, etc.), there is no mandate to go to the NBCUniversal-owned nets first. Insiders add that the drama could end up at Mr. Robot home USA, but that it will likely be shopped to other cable and streaming outlets, as well.
Hmm. Sure, why not.

- Hulu Teams With BBC For Neil Cross Crime Series ‘Hard Sun’, Jim Sturgess & Agyness Deyn To Star
Hulu has boarded Hard Sun, a pre–apocalyptic crime drama from Luther creator Neil Cross, which has cast Jim Sturgess (Cloud Atlas) and Agyness Deyn (Sunset Song) as the leads.

The six-episode Hard Sun, originally commissioned by BBC One in December 2015, will now be a Hulu original in association with the BBC.

Set in contemporary London, Hard Sun centers on detectives Robert Hicks (Sturgess) and Elaine Renko (Sunset Song), partners and enemies who seek to enforce the law and protect their loved ones in a world that every day slips closer to certain destruction. Hicks is a family man and a great, committed officer. He’s also profoundly corrupt. Renko is a difficult and damaged, but utterly incorruptible officer. Thus, the two cops stand on different ends of the social and moral spectrum and also seriously distrust one other – and for good reason. But they must somehow learn to work together if they’re going to survive until the end of the world.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Alan Ball HBO Series Casts Sosie Bacon, Daniel Zovatto, Raymond Lee & Jerrika Hinton

Sosie Bacon (Scream), Daniel Zovatto (Fear the Walking Dead), Raymond Lee and Grey’s Anatomy co-star Jerrika Hinton will co-star opposite Holly Hunter in Six Feet Under and True Blood creator Alan Ball’s new drama series for HBO.

Philosophy professor Greg Bishop (not yet cast) and his lawyer wife Audrey Black (Hunter) are socially conscious idealists who decided to build a family by adopting children from Vietnam, Somalia and Colombia (Hinton, Zovatto, Lee) before having their own child in their 40s (Bacon). Then, one of the children begins to see things others cannot. Is it mental illness? Or something else?

Alan Ball!

- Kirsten Dunst To Topline Dark Comedy Series From George Clooney, Grant Heslov & ‘The Lobster’ Helmer In Works At AMC
AMC is developing On Becoming a God In Central Florida, a 1990s one-hour dark comedy series, which has Kirsten Dunst attached to star and executive produce. The project, to be directed by The Lobster helmer Yorgos Lanthimos, hails from George Clooney and Grant Heslov’s Smokehouse Pictures, Sony’s TriStar Television and AMC Studios.

Written by Robert Funke and Matt Lutsky based on a spec script written by them, On Becoming a God In Central Florida is a darkly comedic story about the cult of free enterprise and one woman’s relentless pursuit of the American Dream in the early 1990s. Recently widowed and left with nothing, minimum-wage Orlando water park employee Krystal Gill (Dunst) lies, schemes, and cons her way up the ranks of Founders American Merchandise — the cultish, flag-waving, multi-billion dollar pyramid scheme that drove her to ruin in the first place.

Funke, Lutsky, Dunst and Lanthimos executive produce alongside Oscar winners George Clooney and Grant Heslov (Argo) through Smokehouse Pictures. The project, in early development, will be overseen by Sarah Shepard for Smokehouse.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Showtime Gives Series Order to Drama ‘The Chi'

Showtime has given a series pickup to the Fox 21 drama ”The Chi," a coming-of-age story revolving around a group of people living on the South Side of Chicago.

Jamie Foxx-Jay Pharoah Comedy ‘White Famous' Nabs Showtime Series Order

Showtime has given a series order to ”White Famous," a comedy starring Jay Pharoah that is based on Jamie Foxx's early experiences as he made his name in the entertainment industry.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Coen Brothers to Write and Direct Their First-Ever TV Series, ‘Buster Scruggs’

Joel and Ethan Coen are the latest auteurs moving into television, with a new event anthology set in the Old West.

Annapurna Television is partnering with the Coen brothers on a limited series Western called “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.” Sources tell Variety that Annapurna intends to pursue an innovative approach that could combine television and theatrical.

Joel and Ethan Coen wrote the script from an original idea and will direct the project.

It’s still unclear how theatrical distribution could play a part in the project, but the intent is to shoot “Buster Scruggs” as a miniseries. According to sources, the scope of the project seemed too challenging to be covered in one feature film.

Plot details of “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” are unknown, though it will intertwine six different story lines.

- Mike Judge Animated Country Music Series Greenlighted By Cinemax
Silicon Valley co-creator Mike Judge is returning to his animated roots with Mike Judge Presents: Tales From The Tour Bus, which has been picked up by HBO sister network Cinemax with an eight-episode series order. The half-hour animated comedy series is currently in production for premiere later this year.

Co-created by Judge, Richard Mullins, and The Last Ride co-writer Dub Cornett, Mike Judge Presents: Tales From The Tour Bus chronicles the tales of some of country music’s most eccentric characters. Judge and Cornett executive produce. Bob Engelman (The Mask) is co-executive producer and Mullins is producing.

This is a first foray into original comedy series for Cinemax, whose only previous comedy was cult Canadian import SCTV Channel in the early 1980s.

The pickup for Mike Judge Presents: Tales From The Tour Bus comes as Cinemax is recalibrating its original programming strategy, returning to fun, high-octane, action, pulpy, straight-to-series dramas done in a cost-effective way primarily as international co-productions. When Deadline recently asked Cinemax programming president Kary Antholis if comedy series would fit into the new programming direction, he said, “yes, I’m open to half-hours, but we’ve got to be able to do them at a price and… it has to be on brand for Cinemax.”

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘How To Survive A Plague’ Miniseries In Works By National Geographic

National Geographic is developing How To Survive A Plague: The Inside Story of How Citizens and Science Tamed AIDS, as a scripted miniseries, with Scott Rudin as executive producer. The project was announced today during Nat Geo’s presentation at TCA.

Based on David France’s praised nonfiction book about the 1980s AIDS crisis, the miniseries will chart the founding of ACT UP and TAG (Treatment Action Group), and the rise of an underground drug market in opposition to the controversial AZT in the search for treatment for people with HIV.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
AMC Teams With BBC For Limited Series Based On John le Carré Novel ‘The Spy Who Came in From the Cold'

The project, with Oscar winner Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire) set to write the adaptation, was originally put in development by The Ink Factory and Paramount TV last summer.

AMC Teaming With James Cameron On Docu-Series About The History Of Sci-Fi

James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction sees the legendary filmmaker behind The Terminator, Aliens, and Avatar exploring the evolution of science fiction from its cult beginnings in pulp to the engine for blockbuster film and television success it is today.

Comprised of six one-hour episodes, James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction will debut on AMC in 2018. Each episode will see Cameron introducing one of the ”Big Questions" humanity has grappled with through history, delving into Science Fiction's past to look at how the genre's films, TV shows, books, and video games were born, and where the genre, and humanity, might be headed. Throughout, Cameron and his contemporaries debate the merits, meanings, and impacts of the films and novels that influenced them.

- Jessica Biel Anthology 'The Sinner' Picked Up to Series at USA Network
USA Network has handed out a series order to drama The Sinner, starring and exec produced by Biel and her Iron Ocean Films banner. Included in USA's announcement is news that the drama will be an anthology, with each season closed-ended.

Based on Petra Hammesfahr’s best-selling book, The Sinner centers on a young mother (Biel) who is overcome by a fit of rage and commits a public act of violence. The incident launches a surprising crime thriller whose driving force is not the who or the what — but the why. A rogue investigator (Bill Pullman) finds himself obsessed with uncovering the woman's motive, and together they travel a path into her psyche and the secrets hidden in her past.

HBO’s ‘Sharp Objects’ Starts Filming in March

Wild and Dallas Buyers Club filmmaker Jean-Marc Vallée is directing the HBO series, and when Collider’s own Christina Radish recently spoke with the filmmaker about his HBO limited series Big Little Lies, he shared how Sharp Objects came about:

“It was supposed to be a movie first, but Marti Noxon is the guilty one. She’s the one that went to eOne because eOne had the rights, and then they went to HBO. She went to Gillian, eOne and HBO and said, ‘This is a TV series. This is not a film. Here’s why.’ She had a plan and a vision, and here we are, shooting eight episodes. We’re starting very soon. I committed to that before Big Little Lies. I was working with Amy Adams on the Janis [Joplin] project that we’re finally not doing, and she invited me to play in her new sandbox, doing a TV series. And then, Reese [Witherspoon] came and said, ‘I want you to come do this first, since that’s not ready.’ I said to Reese, ‘Okay, I’ll do Episodes 1 and 2 because I won’t have time [to do more]. I have to do Sharp Objects.’ And then, here we are.”

Vallée went on to say that filming for Sharp Objects begins on March 6th, so while Adams is currently on the awards circuit for her stunning turn in Arrival, she’s due to start shooting the flashy TV series in just over a month’s time. HBO hasn’t yet revealed a premiere date for the show, but it will likely be sometime in 2018.

- Variety: CBS Orders Pilots for Mark Feuerstein Comedy, Andy Weir NASA Drama
CBS has placed orders for two pilots — a comedy based on the life of actor Mark Feuerstein and a drama from “The Martian” author Andy Weir.

Multi-camera comedy “9J, 9K, and 9L” is based on a time in Mark Feuerstein’s adult life when he lived in apartment 9K in the building he grew up in, sandwiched between his parents’ apartment, 9J, and his brother and sister-in-law’s apartment, 9L. It follows Feuerstein as he his attempts to set boundaries with his intrusive but well-meaning family.

Produced by CBS Television Studios, “9J, 9K, and 9L” is written and executive produced by Dana Klein and Feuerstein. Additional executive producers are Aaron Kaplan, Wendi Trilling, and Dana Honor.

“Mission Control,” an hour-long drama, follows the next generation of NASA astronauts and scientists as they juggle both their personal and professional lives during a critical mission with no margin for error. Weir serves as writer and executive producer. The pilot is produced by CBS Television Studios. Additional executive producers are Courtney Conte and Quan Phung of Slingshot media, Simon Kinberg and Aditya Sood, and Charles Eglee. “The Martian,” adapted from Weir’s novel of the same name, was nominated for seven Academy Awards last year.

The two pilots are the first ordered by CBS in the current development cycle.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
For some reason I didn't realize or connect that Jean-Marc Vallée was directing both series. But good to know Sharp Objects is on track for the March start, as Amy Adams said a couple months ago. Can't say I know anything about the book, but I do love Adams.

Read: We liked The Martian and threw a bunch of money at Weir for the chance to make an extended, generic version of it for broadcast TV.

berzeli

Banned
BBC Studios to produce major new Amazon and BBC comedy series Good Omens
BBC Studios, the BBC's main TV production arm, will be the production partner for a major new Amazon and BBC commissioned series Good Omens, a six-part comedy series based on the acclaimed novel of the same name by Neil Gaiman (American Gods) and Terry Pratchett (Colour Of Magic).
Set to broadcast in 2018 on Amazon Prime Video and the BBC, Good Omens is written by Gaiman, who will also serve as Showrunner. BBC Studios is co-producing the series with Narrativia and The Blank Corporation and in association with BBC Worldwide, who have licensed the global SVOD rights to Amazon. Good Omens will broadcast on the BBC in the UK, following its premiere on Prime Video.
The book is amazing (probably my favourite work from both Gaiman and Pratchett). Hope the show lives up to it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Travis Fimmel To Play Wyatt Earp In Anti-Hero Anthology Series He Is Developing At History

Travis Fimmel is developing a scripted anthology series about some of history’s most infamous characters. The first installment will tell the true story of Wyatt Earp, with subsequent seasons focusing on other iconic sinners and anti-heroes.

The project is based on an original idea by Fimmel, who has written the first episode and is attached to executive produce and star as Wyatt Earp.

The Wyatt Earp installment will track his life from his days in the violent Dodge City and his complex relationships with Doc Holliday and Bat Masterson, to the real story of what happened during the legendary gunfight at the OK Corral.

“I’ve always been fascinated with what motivates people’s transgressions and the scandalous journey into infamy,” said Fimmel. “I wanted to re-examine stories people think they know without the rose-colored glasses of Hollywood and let the audience decide for themselves if people like Wyatt Earp were sinners or victims of life circumstances.”

berzeli

Banned
Fox Orders ‘The Passage’ Vampire Drama Pilot From Liz Heldens & Matt Reeves
Fox has given a pilot order to The Passage, a drama series based on Justin Cronin’s fantasy book trilogy. The high-profile project, which previously had a pilot production commitment, hails from Liz Heldens (Friday Night Lights), Felicity co-creator Matt Reeves, Scott Free and 20th Century Fox TV.

Written by Heldens, The Passage begins as a character-driven government conspiracy thriller and morphs into a post-apocalyptic saga with vampires. The series spans over a century and focuses on a young girl named Amy who must save the human race.
This sounds deliciously stupid.
Has anyone read the books and are able to comment whether or not it is as stupid as it sounds?

This sounds deliciously stupid.
Has anyone read the books and are able to comment whether or not it is as stupid as it sounds?
Ratsky asked me about this a few months ago when Fox was mulling over ordering a pilot:

Regarding their logline, it runs the gambit of different genres as you work through the series. I found it highly entertaining and there's a number of sequences that he manages to pull off even though when you summarize them they sound, well, deliciously stupid. NY Times Magazine did a feature on Cronin a while back that lays out some of the amusing backstory for the series.

berzeli

Banned
Ratsky asked me about this a few months ago when Fox was mulling over ordering a pilot:Regarding their logline, it runs the gambit of different genres as you work through the series. I found it highly entertaining and there's a number of sequences that he manages to pull off even though when you summarize them they sound, well, deliciously stupid. NY Times Magazine did a feature on Cronin a while back that lays out some of the amusing backstory for the series.

Thanks, that NYT piece makes it sound a lot more enticing. Now the question is if Fox is up to the challenge.

Top Bottom