• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows: Renewed, Axed, Picked Up + News

Papa

Banned
Wow, I knew we Americans had an addiction to cop/fireman/ambulance/medical dramas but damn. That’s a lot more than I care to ever watch. Looking at the lists and everything I’ve yet to see a show that interests me. I’ve actually gotten into watching more anime because I’m getting so exhausted of us making the same thing over and over again. At least Japan tries spicing things up a bit.

ur dead to me

KielCasto

The last completed episode before the coronavirus-imposed production shutdown, Episode 18, which is scheduled to air on April 21, is now set to be the premature end of Empire. To help create a more seamless overall ending, we hear this newly minted finale will likely feature footage from Episode 19, which was halfway through filming when the health crisis paused all Hollywood production. The show’s long intended ending, the series finale Episode 20, will never see the light of day for the once blockbuster.
The CW’s Supernatural, which had also completed 18 episodes of its 20-episode order, ended up airing 13 episodes this season and plans to film the last two episodes for a 7-episode run at a later date

'Yeah mutheerfucker!'
giphy.gif

Is this still happening?

Bullet Club

How could this still be going? The first season was decent almost all the way to the end, but it got so fucking bad. I just don't understand who could still be watching.
I watched the first season and liked it, but never watched the other seasons. I might check it out soon to see how bad it gets.

Grinchy

Banned
I watched the first season and liked it, but never watched the other seasons. I might check it out soon to see how bad it gets.
All I remember about the first handful of episodes from season 2 was how cheap it looked and felt. They seemed like they expanded the roles of all the side characters and Kimmy was no longer the girl who came out of a hatch in the ground in the few minutes she'd be on screen anymore. And the comedy was not working.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
All I remember about the first handful of episodes from season 2 was how cheap it looked and felt. They seemed like they expanded the roles of all the side characters and Kimmy was no longer the girl who came out of a hatch in the ground in the few minutes she'd be on screen anymore. And the comedy was not working.
I enjoyed the show, but I really would have preferred a proper episode or series instead of this interactive garbage.

Bullet Club

'Tosh.0' Canceled as Comedy Central Reverses 4-Season Renewal

The 12th and now final season will return in September with its last 10 episodes.

The Daniel Tosh era at Comedy Central is coming to an end.

In a shocking move, the ViacomCBS-owned cable network has reversed course on its January decision to renew the series for four more seasons. Instead, Tosh.0 will wrap its run with its 12th and now final season. The last 10 episodes return Sept. 15.

Sources say ViacomCBS is working with Team Tosh to shop the series to other outlets.

The decision arrives as Comedy Central, under ViacomCBS Entertainment & Youth Group president Chris McCarthy, has charted a new course for the cable network. The cabler's new strategy focuses on three areas of content: adult animation, topical series (The Daily Show) and comedic made-for-TV feature films. McCarthy has been aggressively mining the company's vault and rebooted animated series including Beavis and Butt-head, Ren & Stimpy and picked up a Daria spinoff, Jodie, as part of the strategy.

“I look forward to doing an animated reboot of my show on MTV in 25 years,” Tosh said in a statement Thursday.

The decision to reverse course on Tosh.0 arrives a day after Comedy Central did the same on the seventh season of Derek Waters' Emmy-nominated series Drunk History. That show, which began production on season seven before the pandemic, ended with its recently completed sixth season. Comedy Central this month also shipped live-action scripted comedies The Other Two and South Side to HBO Max, though it will move forward with the second season of Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens.

While ViacomCBS is in the midst of broadening out CBS All Access to feature content from across the company's portfolio, sources say The Other Two and South Side were not moved to the streaming service because they didn't fit with CEO Bob Bakish's plan to better integrate the platform with the company's linear networks. CBS All Access is best known as a home for procedurals and Star Trek and not a destination for comedy. That's a big reason why The Other Two and South Side didn't stay in the ViacomCBS ecosystem, and likely the same reason why Tosh.0 is being shopped vs. going to CBS All Access.

The January deal for Tosh.0 was for a whopping 80 new episodes that would have taken the show through its 16th season in 2024. The pact included an overall deal for comedian Tosh. The status of that pact is unclear. At the time, talks were underway for an unscripted series that Tosh would host and exec produce as well as a script deal for which he would serve as an exec producer. The renewal was overseen by Comedy Central heads of originals Sarah Babineau and Jonas Larsen, neither of whom remain at the network, which has seen a number of creatives depart amid a larger executive restructuring at parent company ViacomCBS.

On the linear network, Tosh.0 has ranked as the top original comedy Tuesdays among men 18-34 in every cable year since it launched. The January four-season renewal was not the first time the series has received a multiple-year pickup. Tosh.0 was renewed for three seasons back in 2018. The series will end its run after 11 y ears and more than 250 episodes, making it the longest-running weekly live-action show in Comedy Central's history. The series finale airs Nov. 24.

Source: The Hollywood Report

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I saw that evil dog movie from Hulu. It was a solid 6/10 "watch it as background noise". Apparently in the dark is a thing. So I decided to watch the shit from the beginning. Man Hulu sure hates the fuck out of men, I'm only 3 "movies" in and I'm thinking they were trying to one up Netflix in the WOKE department.

'Tosh.0' Canceled as Comedy Central Reverses 4-Season Renewal

The 12th and now final season will return in September with its last 10 episodes.

The Daniel Tosh era at Comedy Central is coming to an end.

In a shocking move, the ViacomCBS-owned cable network has reversed course on its January decision to renew the series for four more seasons. Instead, Tosh.0 will wrap its run with its 12th and now final season. The last 10 episodes return Sept. 15.

Sources say ViacomCBS is working with Team Tosh to shop the series to other outlets.

The decision arrives as Comedy Central, under ViacomCBS Entertainment & Youth Group president Chris McCarthy, has charted a new course for the cable network. The cabler's new strategy focuses on three areas of content: adult animation, topical series (The Daily Show) and comedic made-for-TV feature films. McCarthy has been aggressively mining the company's vault and rebooted animated series including Beavis and Butt-head, Ren & Stimpy and picked up a Daria spinoff, Jodie, as part of the strategy.

“I look forward to doing an animated reboot of my show on MTV in 25 years,” Tosh said in a statement Thursday.

The decision to reverse course on Tosh.0 arrives a day after Comedy Central did the same on the seventh season of Derek Waters' Emmy-nominated series Drunk History. That show, which began production on season seven before the pandemic, ended with its recently completed sixth season. Comedy Central this month also shipped live-action scripted comedies The Other Two and South Side to HBO Max, though it will move forward with the second season of Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens.

While ViacomCBS is in the midst of broadening out CBS All Access to feature content from across the company's portfolio, sources say The Other Two and South Side were not moved to the streaming service because they didn't fit with CEO Bob Bakish's plan to better integrate the platform with the company's linear networks. CBS All Access is best known as a home for procedurals and Star Trek and not a destination for comedy. That's a big reason why The Other Two and South Side didn't stay in the ViacomCBS ecosystem, and likely the same reason why Tosh.0 is being shopped vs. going to CBS All Access.

The January deal for Tosh.0 was for a whopping 80 new episodes that would have taken the show through its 16th season in 2024. The pact included an overall deal for comedian Tosh. The status of that pact is unclear. At the time, talks were underway for an unscripted series that Tosh would host and exec produce as well as a script deal for which he would serve as an exec producer. The renewal was overseen by Comedy Central heads of originals Sarah Babineau and Jonas Larsen, neither of whom remain at the network, which has seen a number of creatives depart amid a larger executive restructuring at parent company ViacomCBS.

On the linear network, Tosh.0 has ranked as the top original comedy Tuesdays among men 18-34 in every cable year since it launched. The January four-season renewal was not the first time the series has received a multiple-year pickup. Tosh.0 was renewed for three seasons back in 2018. The series will end its run after 11 y ears and more than 250 episodes, making it the longest-running weekly live-action show in Comedy Central's history. The series finale airs Nov. 24.

Source: The Hollywood Report

Damn. As simple as the show's setup might be, that's a hell of a feat by Tosh to keep it afloat for over 10 years and 250+ episodes. Mad props to him for sustaining it for so long especially on a network that loves to cancel a lot of shows after 2-3 seasons.

Bullet Club

Renewed: The Goldbergs, The Rookie, Law & Order: Organized Crime, The Conners, A Million Little Things, Black-ish (final season)

Axed: Mixed-ish, For Life

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I wish they Jokers would retire now, I am a huge fan and been listening to Q on Tell Em steve dave for 10 years. Unfortunately they are going to keep going without Joe which I think is a huge mistake.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What happened to the Martin Scorsese Roman TV epic The Caesars.

It was supposed to be an epic Roman TV series on a scale of HBOs Rome, but I've not heard anything since it's announcement in 2018. Hope it hasn't been cancelled completely. It sounded absolutely amazing.

clarky

Gold Member
What if Sam is a black woman in this version?

jji8t1m.gif
Now we are talking. No way they will have the balls to do anything that interesting. Like said woman landing in Donald Trump for the day. I'd watch that.

Edit: Thinking about it isn't this the same network that turn Edward Woodward into Queen Latifa for the Equalizer? Your probably bang on the money and it will still be totally shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom