• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TVTVTVTVTV! Xbox One Goes to Hollywood

If only they focused this much on actual videogames. Man, that would be great. Especially since, you know, it's a videogame console. Or at least it's trying to be? I guess? Maybe? Really don't know anymore.

Takuya

Banned
Yeah there's a video interview where they actually show the real UI with the snap feature runs at like 5 frames per second. They faked all of it on stage.
Is there a thread that? Certainly seems thread worthy; people need to know they were tricked.

Have a link to the video?

Not sure if that's what he's talking about, it's pretty indisputable that Microsoft have done things like open new gaming studios from scratch etc.

$1 Billion USD = $1,000,000,000

15 games

$/Game average = $66.6 Million USD

Does that figure also include marketing? Cost of setup and administration of the new studios? What about real estate for the new studios? Is that also factored into the $1 Billion USD?

Didn't know there were so many anti-television hipsters around here.

Let me tell ya, you're missing out on some good stuff like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

15 games

Does that figure also include marketing? Cost of setup and administration of the new studios? What about real estate for the new studios? Is that also factored into the $1 Billion USD?

15 games are first party. There will be third party games, even Crazybuttocks has rumored them in the past.

I'm sure it will factor in things like the cost of setting up the new studios and marketing etc, yes.

joeblow

The OP article that I found has been updated with this interesting tidbit:

But it was also more, one insider tells Deadline, “to reiterate Microsoft’s commitment to transitioning its business to devices and services and to explaining that Hollywood entertainment is a big part of that. Microsoft in the past has just dipped a toe but now has a real commitment.” Tellem wanted to give Ballmer 3 different perspectives: the broadcaster, the independent producer, and the agent.

Yeah there's a video interview where they actually show the real UI with the snap feature runs at like 5 frames per second. They faked all of it on stage.

Did anyone actually doubt it was staged? The presenter put his hand in the same pocket, in the same exact manner every single time he addressed Kinect. I was amazed at the lack of respect they had for the viewer that they'd be so blatant about it.

The speed at which the interface works is going to be different depending upon the service you use though. If you use Directv, it's going to take longer for stuff to happen. The Xbox won't be a magical device that makes content come from the satellite faster.

Didn't know there were so many anti-television hipsters around here.

Let me tell ya, you're missing out on some good stuff like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I welcome all the multimedia capabilities I can get! I love that sort of stuff. And I'm actually looking forward to what the Xbone has to offer in that area.

But what I'm NOT looking forward to are the games. That's MS's weak point. And by a considerable margin!

I know, that kinda surprised me too when someone mentioned that earlier (I had to go get a list myself because I didn't believe it, hah).

Thanks for finding that list. It's a fascinating piece of info given the stigma Sony had.

Also Lemmings is a Sony owned IP so I think it should count. :)

Heh, I still dunno about that. That's almost like saying all the Virtual Console games Nintendo has released that they published should be counted towards the total number of first party titles released on the Wii U since launch =)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Heh, I still dunno about that. That's almost like saying all the Virtual Console games Nintendo has released that they published should be counted towards the total number of first party titles released on the Wii U since launch =)

Yeahhhhh I guess you're right! But it's still a game made from the ground up for PS3.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
That's kinda the point though - it all depends on how they decide to count these 1st party titles. We have a number with no real context right now and by any historical precedent it doesn't establish some kind of new high bar or anything.

Microsoft have invested $1 billion into games alone for Xbox One and have opened several new gaming studios.

15 first party published exclusives in the Xbox One's first year will be tough for the PS4 to match, never mind when it comes to third party exclusives etc.

You're digging yourself a hole here, pal. Sony could and should match that number with absolute ease.

MasLegio

Banned
Yeah but the showstopper will be: best case scenario the Xbone sells 80M consoles in 5-7 years. And that's spread between (mostly) US, UK/Western Europe, and then the ROW.

Ok. But there are right now in America 100M cable subscribers.

Or if you're more forward thinking: 30M Netflix subscribers in the U.S.

If you're looking for a home for content, the Xbone wouldn't be my first choice.

This console looks to be more and more US only both by design of the hardware and business models.

I do not expect it to sell more than the 360 worldwide. Maybe more in the US but it will not sell good in the long run in EU and ROW. NO more than 40-50 million worldwide at the end of the generation. They will probably make more money off content though.

read his post history.

tried,
it was painful

That's kinda the point though - it all depends on how they decide to count these 1st party titles. We have a number with no real context right now and by any historical precedent it doesn't establish some kind of new high bar or anything.

Oh I'm not praising the 15 title number MS announced. I'm not criticizing it either until they tell us what it is.

who is buttocks and why is someone with such spelling skills considered to be a valid source/insider?

We don't know who he is, that's the point. His spelling obfuscates what he's saying and makes it harder to trace back to him. What makes him a valid source is that he's been right in the past.

BigDug13

Did anyone actually doubt it was staged? The presenter put his hand in the same pocket, in the same exact manner every single time he addressed Kinect. I was amazed at the lack of respect they had for the viewer that they'd be so blatant about it.

The speed at which the interface works is going to be different depending upon the service you use though. If you use Directv, it's going to take longer for stuff to happen. The Xbox won't be a magical device that makes content come from the satellite faster.

The same choppy video was choppy 7 or 8 seconds later though. Directv doesn't take THAT long for a channel to be smooth and clear.

Kyon

Banned

15 games

Assuming all those 15 games are 66 million it's what like 990 million?

15 games

Not every game be $66 million. They could be funding 10,000 indie games for all we know.

I don't speak Twitter... can someone translate what Crazy Buttocks actually said?
Basically Balmer is the one chasing the TV stuff an XbOne will have TV Show focused apps like an app for Bones or NCIS.

Then something about Hix which was confusing.

Not every game be $66 million. They could be funding 10,000 indie games for all we know.

But they're not funding indie games. And yes I know not every game will get 66 million. That is why I said $/Game AVERAGE. Also, that $1 Billion USD is always associated to the 15 games MS says their cranking out for the Xbone.

And let's take a stab at the marketing portion of that $1 Billion USD:

Let's say it's an average of $25 million USD per game.

In total that's $375 Million USD. So the total amount left for the actual development is $625 Million USD. That $625 Million USD spread across 15 games on AVERAGE is approximately $42 Million USD.

Because you don't get one of your main functions 'out of the way'. MS is doing their thing, it is the denial of some of the people that amuses me.

So you're ignoring the fact that when both MS and Sony did these announcements at E3 in the past, they got a lot of flack for it? Why else have an announcement so close to E3 instead of unveiling at E3 and having the spotlight on them? They didn't talk about Netflix or other services, does that mean they won't really be there on the system? Or how about they just focused on one of the new aspects, teased a few games and then focus on E3 for a concentrated look at games with even more announcement of games and services after E3 that lead up until launch? People are jumping the gun here in a rush to judgement.

We've got 5 months and so many unanswered questions about both systems; why don't we wait until the full picture is shown before we figure out what each system is about. Heck E3 is less than a week away and we're already jumping to conclusions on whether or not it will be a good game system. People like who are quick to judge and can't even wait for E3 are the ones who amuse me. It's like they're experiencing their first console unveiling or something.

Monocle

Ballmer touted “what we could do with” the Xbox One in sports, music, reality and scripted programming
Well throw me to the ground and slap me till I like it, that sounds fucking marvelous.

iONmv2CQl8qp4.gif
Perfect.

Wait for what? I am commenting on a reaction that already happened. You are talking about next gen strategy.

You're talking about denial that some people have on what Microsoft is doing. Microsoft and Sony have been historically hammered for having any element not devoted to games. So devoting E3 to games and getting other aspects unveiled outside of E3 is definitely getting it out of the way so they don't have to cover it at E3. So again, let's wait until E3, see what the bigger picture is and then we can have a better idea on how big of a deal this one element is as far as the scope of the whole system and Microsoft's focus.

Top Bottom