• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess E3 2004 Unveiling - Crowd Perspective

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Here's the Halo 2 demo thing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEjVF_uNKn4

I love how silent everyone gets and then the gasp when they see duel welding or whatever it is. :lol

"OOOH TAKE IT!"
Ya kinda weird since dual weilding has been around since 007 on N64..not really a new thing.

AniHawk said:
:lol

I forgot about that nerdy laugh at the end.
I do believe that was and still is a current PGC staffer. It sounds just like him.

AniHawk said:
Were you that "WOOO!!" just as the music was kicking up (but before everyone else started cheering)?
Nah. I was in the OMG NO WAY speachless camp. Although I was up at the front on the bean bags also. I'm not usually one to yell out like that for some reason...meh.

ElyrionX

BrandNew said:
What I don't understand is how that music has been used for nearly every single major Zelda unveiling since OoT. Wouldn't people recognize that it was a new Zelda game as soon as the video started? Not when Link finally makes his appearance?

I think that's because nobody expected to see realistic/mature Zelda after the whole Celda thing. So seeing a realistic/mature Link provided the emotional impact that led to the cheers.

AniHawk

Robert-GCA said:
Nah. I was in the OMG NO WAY speachless camp. Although I was up at the front on the bean bags also. I'm not usually one to yell out like that for some reason...meh.

I ... had... quoted Meier.

Hyoushi

Sho Nuff said:
I refuse to believe anyone cried at the Zelda unveiling. Seriously.
Like Verboten said, the MGS2 unveiling. The trailer DVD had footage of the audience, and you see some serious waterworks going on when the Gregson-Willams kicks into overdrive.

Hyoushi said:
Like Verboten said, the MGS2 unveiling. The trailer DVD had footage of the audience, and you see some serious waterworks going on when the Gregson-Willams kicks into overdrive.

In all fairness...that had to have been the pinnacle of gaming trailers ever.

I really do believe that no trailer has topped the 10 minute MGS2 unveilling. Harry Gregson-Williams outdid himself and Kojima edited that trailer perfectly.

The only trailer to date that has come remotely close was the 10 minute Halo 2 real-time single player demo.

Zelda IMO is pretty far down the list. It just carried a higher value for most people because it was a) unexpected and b) exactly what people wanted.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Cold-Steel said:

I really do believe that no trailer has topped the 10 minute MGS2 unveilling. Harry Gregson-Williams outdid himself and Kojima edited that trailer perfectly.

The only trailer to date that has come remotely close was the 10 minute Halo 2 real-time single player demo.

Zelda IMO is pretty far down the list. It just carried a higher value for most people because it was a) unexpected and b) exactly what people wanted.

Apparently he's set to do it all over again this year at Sony's conf, with MGS4...

The halo thing was the only good thing about MSFT's conference that year, holy crap it was a borefest until that... I think that's why people were cheering so much; "FINALLY, Something interesting!"

Wollan

Cold-Steel said:

I still remember that day.

*bites lip*

Oh god! *cries*

GhaleonEB

The difference between the Halo 2 gameplay vid and this is that the Halo 2 crowd reacted to what they thought was a great, mind-blowing game. The reaction in this video was borderline scary...crying? "oh my God!" x10? Yikes. It's like they were all that kid opening the N64 at Christmas.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
GhaleonEB said:
The difference between the Halo 2 gameplay vid and this is that the Halo 2 crowd reacted to what they thought was a great, mind-blowing game. The reaction in this video was borderline scary...crying? "oh my God!" x10? Yikes. It's like they were all that kid opening the N64 at Christmas.

What? You don't think people were also happy that this could be a great, mindblowing game as well?

So does this mean the Sony and MS crew is more pathetic? :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GhaleonEB said:

They were.

MGS2 unveiling was amazing. Kojima is amazing...he could easily direct any film.

Amir0x

Banned
shpankey said:
shit like that embarrasses me to be a gamer.

it is pretty embarrassing, but then you just gotta realize you're a fundamentally superior human being and it makes you feel all good inside.

What I thought made the MGS2 and Halo 2 trailers really stand out was the fact that they both had excellent music, demonstrated the capabilities of new GFX techniques (and showed them without blatantly pointing them out), demonstrated the gameplay possibilities available in the game (without blatantly pointing them out), were edited with consistent detail to make sure that no obvious flaws were apparent, conveyed a story that needed to be told (a story that the player would find themselves immediately engaged in, related to the audience in some way (through emotional content or humor), and really set the audience up with questions still posed in the back of their minds.

Now this isn't a criticism of Zelda or non-voice acting games in general but I really think voice acting makes a huge difference when it comes to putting together videogame trailers.

I'm a huge Metal Gear fan and in defense of my criticisms, none of the later MGS2 or any of the MGS3 trailers topped Kojima's excellence with that first MGS2 trailer.

That trailer "propelled Kojima from a level of great game designer on par with the ranks of Miyamoto and co." - GameSpot.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Cold-Steel said:
That trailer "propelled Kojima from a level of great game designer on par with the ranks of Miyamoto and co." - GameSpot.

Wait, this confuses me. Does it mean he's propelled to a level higher than them or propelled to their level? And if it's the former, what is that level? :D

And I haven't seen the MGS3:S video, so I wouldn't be able to comment. I think the cinematic nature of his games speaks for itself.

Seth C

Really, Kojima fans are just as pathetic. Every MGS unvieling. Then they pile up together and block the aisles to watch the damn teaser every hour, on the hour, every single day.

Seth C said:
Really, Kojima fans are just as pathetic. Every MGS unvieling. Then they pile up together and block the aisles to watch the damn teaser every hour, on the hour, every single day.

Hell, try downloading it the day of.

I couldn't get my mits on the MGS2 10 minute unveiling for like....6 hours at 60kb/s at best!

Oblivion said:
So anyone have a video of that MGS2 unveiling or whatever?

http://www.machinima.com/films.php?download=12

Enjoy! Still holds up well, even by today's standards. :)

Yeah, the Halo 2 LIVE demo was pretty lame and paled in comparison to the reaction from the single-player 10 minute demo of Halo 2 from last E3.

Crowd reaction was much better from the cinematic trailer.

Mason

Ok I watched it again and I seriously can't get over how nerdy the entire thing is; it makes me cringe. The N64 kid is a KID, these are grown men. Whoever is screaming "Oh......my.......GAWWWWWWWD" needs some serious help. The whole thing reminds me of this guy I used to work with at the local movie theater when I was a teenager. He was 30 years old, still lived in his mom's basement, and liked Metallica. He never knew what to talk to anyone about so he would talk about movies or Metallica. It was the most awkward thing ever. Like this video.

It's a shame that no one ever recorded the Nintendojo Kid. It's not exactly the same as this, but the reaction to it is untouchable.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
typhonsentra said:
I know Demon, but we can't all be as cool as you.
Perhaps if I showed my sensitive side by showing girls a video of me weeping at the unveiling of a Nintendo game, they'd finally flock to me?

AniHawk

SolidSnakex said:
It's a shame that no one ever recorded the Nintendojo Kid. It's not exactly the same as this, but the reaction to it is untouchable.

I.... think the video is in this thread.

Jasoco

Banned
I didn't get anywhere near as excited when I saw the Twilight Princess unveiling in 2004 as I did when I saw the Cel-shaded Wind Waker video. Seriously. I've seen enough realistic Zelda. To me, THAT'S NOT ZELDA. To me, Celda IS how Zelda should look. How it has been meant to look since the series was created. And thanks to all the whiny little brats out there who didn't like cartoony Link (Many of which haven't even played the fucking game even now.) I have to put up with a realistic Zelda again.

*sigh*

I guess I'll live with it.

I'm still not as excited about TP as I was about WW. I just can't get excited over another realistic Link when Celda exists.

One day at work when Celda was revealed, a cow-orker asked me "Have you seen what they did to Zelda? WTF?" At that point I had only briefly, but what I had seen (Cat eyes aside. I forgot those weird eyes existed the second the real game appeared on my TV screen.) I loved. And still do. In fact, I'm playing through again on the second game save. Right now actually!

*sniff*

I miss these beautiful graphics and effects.

Yoboman

Zerodoppler said:
Nintendo has by far the most forgiving crowd. I mean, take a look at Sony's E3 2003 conference for example. Kaz was dropping bomb after bomb: MGS3, New GTA, Gran Turismo 4 etc. and the response he gets is forced applauds. WTF
Kaz sucks at getting a crowd riled up. What do you expect when you get an hour of damn powerpoint before? The people were probably asleep by that time

Jasoco said:
I didn't get anywhere near as excited when I saw the Twilight Princess unveiling in 2004 as I did when I saw the Cel-shaded Wind Waker video. Seriously. I've seen enough realistic Zelda. To me, THAT'S NOT ZELDA. To me, Celda IS how Zelda should look. How it has been meant to look since the series was created. And thanks to all the whiny little brats out there who didn't like cartoony Link (Many of which haven't even played the fucking game even now.) I have to put up with a realistic Zelda again.

*sigh*

I'm still not as excited about TP as I was about WW. I just can't get excited over another realistic Link when Celda exists.

One day at work when Celda was revealed, a cow-orker asked me "Have you seen what they did to Zelda? WTF?" At that point I had only briefly, but what I had seen (Cat eyes aside. I forgot those weird eyes existed the second the real game appeared on my TV screen.) I loved. And still do. In fact, I'm playing through again on the second game save. Right now actually!

*sniff*

I don't feel that absolutely about it--I'm hoping Twilight Princess will have its own visual uniqueness in terms of how it treats the dark world, things like that. In general, though, I agree. Wind Waker is easily one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played, by FAR. There aren't many I would put up there with it in the visual department. I've also been playing Link to the Past again recently, and that game does NOT strive for realism. I see WW as much more of a successor to LttP than Ocarina was, at least visually. LttP has exaggerated proportions, almost pastel colors, lots of rounded edges, high contrast color schemes, etc. And it's not just a function of the resolution and color depth either, not at all. If you look at the graphic adventure genre at the time (largely on PC but some were ported to consoles) there are PLENTY of examples of games with the same resolution that clearly actually did strive for realism, and even though they weren't "realistic" given the available technology, they did in fact have realistic proportions, realistic color schemes, realistic environments, and so on. Zelda on SNES was much less concerned with realism, and I think there are a lot of parallels to Wind Waker, it's just that WW took it a step further in the stylized direction. For me it really created something breathtaking.

I was extremely disappointed when I saw the first Twilight Princess trailer. the one in this thread. I've accepted the new style, but man that original trailer is still terrible. There was another trailer, either GDC or E3 the following year, that I think looks a lot better with some interesting stylistic elements, and I was encouraged that they delayed the game to improve it, so I'm hopeful. When it really comes down to it, one of the things I like about Nintendo is that they generally aren't afraid to try out different things with their franchises. Some hardcore fans are bothered by this but in the long run I think it's definitely for the best. Super Metroid to Prime, LttP to Ocarina, Ocarina/MM to Wind Waker, Super Mario World to Yoshi's Island, 2D Mario to Mario 64... in my opinion those were all very successful changes, so I'll keep an open mind.

Alcibiades

ok seriously, I know there is one out there where this chubby kids gets all excited and jumps and opens his mouth and stuff...

where is it?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jasoco said:

*sigh*

*sniff*

Haha

Mallrat83

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I wonder if anyone has the Spaceworld 1996 unveiling of Mario 64
I'd love to see it if there was one. Actually any videos of games being shown for the first time back in the day. DKC, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VII (just to see the reaction from both Sony and Nintendo fans), Ocarina of Time, etc...

Top Bottom