• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess E3 2004 Unveiling - Crowd Perspective

unifin

Beezy said:
I gotta admit, I lost it when I saw the Zelda vid. :)

Heh - I didn't lose it, but when I first saw the headline the floor shifted a little bit - totally and completely unexpected... Holy **** - nintendo actually listened to the fans?

I was pretty giddy for the rest of the day.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
mj1108 said:
I'm sure you'd say the same thing if it was a MS conference with a Halo 3 trailer.

We need a rollseyes emoticon.

Yeah, but nobody's crying at MS conferences. I always feel disgusted whenever I go to these Nintendo events. So many man babies!

GDJustin said:
Still though, I've been to four E3s now and that moment was far and away one of the most memorable E3 moments, for me. Hell one of the most memorable things I've experience since having this career.

Haven't you only gone to 3 E3s? We both went to our first E3 in 2003 I thought...

I just thought that they were now officially milking the franchise. "Wow.... thats just.... like the third zelda game they released in a 3 year span." But Im totally apathetic to 3d zeldas, yet I sure got a big kick out of the phantom hourglass vid. :D

unifin

SnowWolf said:
Yeah, but nobody's crying at MS conferences. I always feel disgusted whenever I go to these Nintendo events. So many man babies!

It's the same deal, man - If Bungie made a cel-shaded Halo with super soakers, people would be PISSED.

If, two years later, they turned around and made a return to the darker atmosphere of the first two games, people would be going just as nuts.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Some of you guys need to stop taking things so seriously, we're talking about playing games at the end of the day, do you suddenly think they have become hip and sophisticated? So people got excited for a new entry in an amazing franchise, it reminds me of why I started playing games as a kid, the excitement and fun. Also Shigs coming out like that just shows a genuine love for gaming, not the typical PR 'hoody/jacket combos' bullshit that others try to push on us.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
SnowWolf said:

4-yroldvirgin.jpg

Nintendo has by far the most forgiving crowd. I mean, take a look at Sony's E3 2003 conference for example. Kaz was dropping bomb after bomb: MGS3, New GTA, Gran Turismo 4 etc. and the response he gets is forced applauds. WTF

SnowWolf said:
You don't think some dude who plays Halo all day and runs a Halo fansite and somehow got his way into E3 might have the exact same reaction? E3 is not just professional journalists who work full time, a LOT of those people are just video game fans who are EXACTLY the audience they get excited by shit like this, and who find their way into the show.

I'm not even an offended Zelda fan or anything. I thought that trailer was terrible and I didn't even like the visual direction of the game. Hell, I didn't even go to that conference. I just think some people in this thread need to step off their high horses when it comes to people being excited about something that means a lot to them. Nintendo has had, by the way, some twenty years to build appreciation for its franchises. I DO think you could easily see similar stuff at a comparable Halo announcement, but even if there wasn't some crying dude, would it be that surprising when comparing a five year old series to a twenty year old one?

Teddman

GDJustin said:
Still though, I've been to four E3s now and that moment was far and away one of the most memorable E3 moments, for me. Hell one of the most memorable things I've experience since having this career.
I can say that as far as press conference moments go, the big realtime demo reveal of Halo 2 at Microsoft's E3 2003 press conference handily topped the Twilight Princess trailer debut. You had a far bigger venue (Shrine Auditorium) packed, with many journalists feeling the effects of the free beer and yelling & applauding the demo like frat bros. at an opening-night action flick. This was heightened thourghout the conference as well, because everyone know it was coming and yells of "HALO 2!" were shouted out at random moments whenever there was a lull in the presentation.

SantaC

Zerodoppler said:
Nintendo has by far the most forgiving crowd. I mean, take a look at Sony's E3 2003 conference for example. Kaz was dropping bomb after bomb: MGS3, New GTA, Gran Turismo 4 etc. and the response he gets is forced applauds. WTF

:lol

Mason

I love Zelda, honestly.

But a bunch of grown men screaming "OH MY GOOOOOD" and crying is just nerdy as fuck. I feel embarassed for everyone there.

Mason said:
I love Zelda, honestly.

But a bunch of grown men screaming "OH MY GOOOD" and crying is just nerdy as fuck. I feel embarassed for everyone there.
Nerdy? At the Electronic Gaming Expo?

PERISH THE THOUGHT

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chris Remo said:
I wasn't specifically indicating any preference you might have for Microsoft (I have no idea what your personal gaming habits are), I was just presenting an opposing scenario. But how many people do you think were actually crying? That makes the whole thing "sad"? I'm sorry they didn't politely applause, Zelda is actually a pretty meaningful franchise for a lot of people so amazingly it doesn't shock me that many were quite excited. I was at E3 04, but I didn't go to Nintendo's thing, so I can't speak personally for how many people were in tears, but I'm going to assume it wasn't very many.

You are quickly becoming among my favorite posters. :)

Seriously, like you wouldn't see any Halo fanbots being excited when MS reveals Halo 3.

Rocked said:
I want to see a video of Wind Waker being revealed! :lol

I'll try and find it. But I'll just say it was just as if not more impressive.

It's the same deal, man - If Bungie made a cel-shaded Halo with super soakers, people would be PISSED.

If, two years later, they turned around and made a return to the darker atmosphere of the first two games, people would be going just as nuts.

Oh, god. MS, PLEASE make the next Halo cel shaded, and turn Master Chief into a 7 year old. I would love to see how Halo fans react. :lol

Mrbob

mj1108 said:
I'm sure you'd say the same thing if it was a MS conference with a Halo 3 trailer.

We need a rollseyes emoticon.

Wiping tears from their eyes, such a momentous occassion at Nintendo unveiling a new Zelda game. There were people crying tears of joy.

my reaction was like that, except that I was watching it live on my pc and didn't scream, but I almost had a heart attack

wish I could be there that day

edit: when the trailer started I could swear it was a new LotR game, I was thinking "wtf, why are they showing an EA game in their conference??"

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
Wiping tears from their eyes, such a momentous occassion at Nintendo unveiling a new Zelda game. There were people crying tears of joy.

That's because Zelda is the best franchise ever. The excitement is understandable.

Mr. Smith

the reaction of the crowd is giving me a "its a nintendo sixtyyyyfourrr, oh my god, yes yes yes":lol :lol
maybe the kid works now at ign:D

tehrafe

When I saw the video on live stream I was shocked and amazed, leaving a very happy feeling after the trailer was finished.

I really hope this game will be released asap.

Link really looked retarded when they first showed that clip... seriously, everything else looked fine, but when you first see Link... wow. And the cheesy wink to close it off... hahah, too much.

Grug

Link's cats eyes were really bad, glad they fixed that.

Otherwise, Wind Waker was beautiful (best looking game of its generation I reckon)

DSExpress

Banned
Mason said:
I love Zelda, honestly.

But a bunch of grown men screaming "OH MY GOOOOOD" and crying is just nerdy as fuck. I feel embarassed for everyone there.

Mason said:
True, but it still makes me cringe.

YOU ARE POSTING ON A FUCKING VIDEO GAME FORUM AND YOU CALL THESE OTHER GUYS NERDS...WTF?

You're a fucking idiot.

I was there front row sitting in the beanbags, going crazy!! :D

yeah, watching these two videos side-by-side certainly tells the story, doesn't it? In one, Miyamoto's hung out to dry with polite yet disapproving clapping, and in the other he emerges from the silouette, sword and shield in hand, to hundreds of gamers, some of whom are crying tears of joy.

pestul

I reacted pretty close to some of those people watching the stream over the Internet. :p

I know I was definately out of my chair.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
DSExpress said:
YOU ARE POSTING ON A FUCKING VIDEO GAME FORUM AND YOU CALL THESE OTHER GUYS NERDS...WTF?

You're a fucking idiot.

I was there front row sitting in the beanbags, going crazy!! :D
Posting on an internet messageboard and crying in public at the unveiling of a game are two very different levels of nerdiness.

Taichu

Yeah, I was watching the stream that day. When they first started playing the Zelda footage, I thought it was a new Fire Emblem game or something. Wind Waker set itself up for a sequel really easily, so I assumed the next Zelda would essentially be Wind Waker 2. The "realistic" graphics totally shocked me. As someone who hated Wind Waker, I was very glad to see this video. =P

Oblivion

Insertia

That was the dorkiest shit I've ever seen in my life. God, when Miyamoto came on stage swinging the sword and shield...:lol

I love videogames, but that was embarrassing.

ge-man

Man I remember watching that stream as well. I didn't cry or any thing like that, but many was I excited. I can still remember watching the first few seconds of landscape as my thoughts quickly went from "WTF is this thing?" to "OMG this HAS to be the next Zelda!"

As for the whole issue about what is or is not an appropiate reaction at E3, I think it's quite silly to slam folks for being too excited. Isn't part of point of these press conference is to get folks excited to try out product at the show or start getting excited about future developments?

bobble

I remember seeing this at work (retail), I didn't do anything all day except refresh message boards and game sites. Then one of the kids that works at GameStop in the mall came in and we talked about it in all excited voices. And then I downloaded MSN and gabbed with my friends about it. One of my nerdiest moments.

Oblivion said:
Shiggy knew what the people wanted. :)

Actually, Eiji knew what the fans wanted.
EGM said:
EA: Well, [it might not be the answer you're looking for], but actually, that kind of reaction was partially expected. I worked on editing that trailer myself, and I specifically wanted people not to realize it was a Zelda game at the very beginning. What we showed was simply a horse, gradually building to the close-up, and then people finally realize it's Link, it's a Zelda game. If people didn't get excited then, I was in trouble. [Laughs] I knew that there was a demand for a photo-realistic Zelda - that we couldn't deny.

Coen

This is no worse than grown-up, respected journalist fighting over a controller to try Halo 2. There just wasn't a video around to tape it.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Insertia said:
That was the dorkiest shit I've ever seen in my life. God, when Miyamoto came on stage swinging the sword and shield...:lol

I love videogames, but that was embarrassing.
Geez some of you are grumpy old men. Also I honestly found this more embarrassing:

113501667940_tn.jpg

AniHawk

Roders5 said:
Geez some of you are grumpy old men. Also I honestly found this more embarrassing:

113501667940_tn.jpg

God. They had that stupid video playing nonstop at work when the E3 stuff came in. I was hearing Lucid Dream literally 2-3 times each day I worked there.

Speevy

Banned
Let's Youtube more famous moments. Starting with that. Developers, developers, developers, developers would be good too.

Oblivion

LiquidMamba said:
Actually, Eiji knew what the fans wanted.

Well, I'm sure there was a general consensus. But regardless, the point is everyone's happy.

Top Bottom