• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess E3 2004 Unveiling - Crowd Perspective

unifin

Taichu said:
Yeah, I was watching the stream that day. When they first started playing the Zelda footage, I thought it was a new Fire Emblem game or something. Wind Waker set itself up for a sequel really easily, so I assumed the next Zelda would essentially be Wind Waker 2. The "realistic" graphics totally shocked me. As someone who hated Wind Waker, I was very glad to see this video. =P

Go to hell.

I can understand being disappointed with WW... but HATING it?

polg

I had seen this before... I remember IGN servers were down, friends IMing me, emails floating around asking if it was a hoax... good times :)

now... they should have defined "soon"... 2 years and still waiting.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I liked Wind Waker enough. Though I thought the sailing was overdone as well as that final TriForce recovery quest got too drawn out. But there were definately moments of brilliance in that game. Like many others, I would have wanted to see more dungeons.

I'm sure they'll address those critiques for Twilight Princess.

Oh, and that "Oh my God!" scream in the theater came from one of our staff, not sure who it was though, I remember he lost his voice after that a bit. :lol

EDIT: Actually now that i've seen the clip. I'm pretty sure that the camera was ours too because I was sitting close to it at that perspective. I remember the guy who was sitting next to it too, he aimed our cam at the large screen whenever they showed something which we were quite thankful for. :D

Rocked

typhonsentra said:
I know Demon, but we can't all be as cool as you.

bottleass.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ark-AMN said:
I liked Wind Waker enough. Though I thought the sailing was overdone as well as that final TriForce recovery quest got too drawn out. But there were definately moments of brilliance in that game. Like many others, I would have wanted to see more dungeons.

I'm sure they'll address those critiques for Twilight Princess.

Oh, and that "Oh my God!" scream in the theater came from one of our staff, not sure who it was though, I remember he lost his voice after that a bit. :lol

EDIT: Actually now that i've seen the clip. I'm pretty sure that the camera was ours too because I was sitting close to it at that perspective. I remember the guy who was sitting next to it too, he aimed our cam at the large screen whenever they showed something which we were quite thankful for. :D

Dude it is your camera. There's a giant "GCA" tag on the video. ;)

I was there for it. That place was way more excited than the video shows (believe it or not). I have a Game Informer video of that same thing where you can fat guys jumping up and down and everyone standing for it. The best part was leaving the building afterward and hearing all these cell phone conversations with geeks flipping out over it trying to explain it to their friends.

The Halo 2 live gameplay unveiling from that same year was way more impressive. While the Zelda video had that "holy shit, adult Link" thing going for it, the whole 10 minute Halo 2 gameplay demo had a hushed crowd all with their jaws hanging down. You could totally sense all the nerds in there mentally rubbing one out the whole time.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I was there for it. That place was way more excited than the video shows (believe it or not). I have a Game Informer video of that same thing where you can fat guys jumping up and down and everyone standing for it. The best part was leaving the building afterward and hearing all these cell phone conversations with geeks flipping out over it trying to explain it to their friends.

:lol
Youtube please

Teddman

The Halo 2 live gameplay unveiling from that same year was way more impressive. While the Zelda video had that "holy shit, adult Link" thing going for it, the whole 10 minute Halo 2 gameplay demo had a hushed crowd all with their jaws hanging down. You could totally sense all the nerds in there mentally rubbing one out the whole time.
Dude, the first time he pulled out the dual-wielding or hi-jacked an enemy Ghost? Place went nuts.

Beezy

What game will affect people like that at this years E3? All I can think of right now is MGS4. I doubt Halo 3 will be shown.

andthebeatgoeson

I remember going nuts about it on the DC hub. Kinda made me thank staying at home that day. I remember someone saying, guys calm down. The postings (mine included) degenerated very quickly. You could kinda sense it was something big but the buildup was classic. Just the music, scenes and just the horse. Next thing, wham, Link on a fucking horse, slaying people left and right. I'll admit it: it was a fuckin great moment. My posts consisted of 'OMG' enter x 20 in the span of 30 seconds. That was just from me. It was fricken like diarrhea.

The highest of highs, the lowest of lows: the nintendo fan. I predict a low this year. Allegedly, a new console will ship. Haha, I'm not falling for that again. Nintendo making a ship date? WTFBBQrolleyes or something.

skinnyrattler said:
The highest of highs, the lowest of lows: the nintendo fan. I predict a low this year. Allegedly, a new console will ship. Haha, I'm not falling for that again. Nintendo making a ship date? WTFBBQrolleyes or something.

Que?

Now WHY would Nintendo do that? You confuse me, explain this a bit more.

Cronox

Banned
Posting on an internet messageboard and crying in public at the unveiling of a game are two very different levels of nerdiness.

Totally right, crusty cynical forum nerds who don't actually play games FTW. Guys who actually get excited for things are messed up in the head or somethin'...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Zerodoppler said:
Nintendo has by far the most forgiving crowd. I mean, take a look at Sony's E3 2003 conference for example. Kaz was dropping bomb after bomb: MGS3, New GTA, Gran Turismo 4 etc. and the response he gets is forced applauds. WTF

Sony doesn't make those games, they just pay for them to be on their system. Plus, nobody was surprised by the announcements of those games, as they were obviously going to be PS2 games and were obviously going to be made. The Zelda trailer came out of fucking nowhere, and was so much what people had been waiting for since the Gamecube was first unveiled, that everyone just went crazy. It also helped that the entire Nintendo press conference that year was wall-to-wall game footage of awesome shit. Sony's press conferences tend to be heavy on the Powerpoint, light on the video. I've been to seven E3s, and the Nintendo press conference is always a highlight. To a very large number of people, they are gaming.

It's all about showmanship, really. When serving bait, presentation is everything.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Well, there you have it.

What game will affect people like that at this years E3? All I can think of right now is MGS4. I doubt Halo 3 will be shown.

Mario. fucking. 128. I guarantee it. (If it shows up, which it probably won't :( )

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I still have that video saved.. one of my favorites. Not many game can elicit that kind of pure emotional reaction.

Vibri

Banned
You had to be there. That video's from the POV of the fanboys who were crunched up in the peanut gallery up front.

Having said that, there was no hint of anything Zelda related, until that last point in the conference, and the way it was introduced was so nonchalant that no one saw it coming, least of all back in the style of Ocarina. It was really great.

GDJustin said:
Dude it is your camera. There's a giant "GCA" tag on the video. ;)
LOL ya, this as my video. It was from about 2/3 the way back in the front half of the seating. All I asked the guy to do was turn it on when it started since there were no more seats in that area and I had to leave it. I had no idea he did all the moving of it back and forth. He was from somewhere in Europe as I could tell from his accent. I thanked him for keeping an eye on my cam not knowing what he had done yet till later that afternoon when we got back to the hotel.

I don't think the guy yelling "OMG OMG" in it is with us anymore. Also you can just barely hear a yell or almost war-cry at the very beginning...that was also one of our guys.

superfly said:
Someone better get similar footage in 2 weeks
there will be video :)

Grug

I remember being on an IGN chatroom when Miyamoto came out and said

"Link can not stand still, and neither can I, goodbye."

And everyone was like "WTF, did Shiggy just quit?"

I remember someone was like "Are you happy now morons! You demanded a mature Zelda game and now Miyamoto is leaving because you dont appreciate him!"

Haha, great times.

AniHawk

Grug said:
I remember being on an IGN chatroom when Miyamoto came out and said

"Link can not stand still, and neither can I, goodbye."

And everyone was like "WTF, did Shiggy just quit?"

I remember someone was like "Are you happy now morons! You demanded a mature Zelda game and now Miyamoto is leaving because you dont appreciate him!"

:lol :lol :lol

This reminds me of another special E3 moment when that guy from Nintendojo started asking Miyamoto questions in faulty Japanese. Any video on that?

Tim the Wiz said:
This reminds me of another special E3 moment when that guy from Nintendojo started asking Miyamoto questions in faulty Japanese. Any video on that?

The dude was wearing a headband as well. I remember seeing video of this.

The translator and Miyamoto looked at each other and nearly burst out laughing.

Tim the Wiz said:

Haha I really wanna see that one. I have heard about it a few times..

Meier

Reno saw the trailer the day before because he was there with IGN, so he told me about it at breakfast before our crew headed over to Nintendo.. so I had an idea of how it started and just started fucking screaming like a little girl when I knew what it was. That was a magical moment to be sure.

Halo 2 was neat to be there for as well although it lost some of its lustre since they were just fucking around basically. It would have been more exciting if they were going all out. Seeing Muhammad Ali was pretty awesome though. :D

AniHawk

Robert-GCA said:

:lol

I forgot about that nerdy laugh at the end.

Reno saw the trailer the day before because he was there with IGN, so he told me about it at breakfast before our crew headed over to Nintendo.. so I had an idea of how it started and just started fucking screaming like a little girl when I knew what it was. That was a magical moment to be sure.

Were you that "WOOO!!" just as the music was kicking up (but before everyone else started cheering)?

Meier

AniHawk said:
Were you that "WOOO!!" just as the music was kicking up (but before everyone else started cheering)?

I can't watch the video right now (I'm sitting in the DJ booth with my girlfriend at FSU's radio station), but I honestly probably am. He told me the set-up for it but didnt tell me that it was realistic so when I saw what it was I just started freaking out.

Top Bottom