• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess is a rare Nintendo game to be released 3 gens in a row at retail

KiraXD

PSY・S;185487059 said:
Square Enix game

Never even released on a Nintendo platform

wat
yup misunderstood the post... made it seems like TTP was a rare nintendo game that got multiple releases and .. are there other games that also got multiple releases... thats how i read it anyway...

javac

Well it is one of the best-selling Zelda titles. You want to milk it out.

There's a reason Smash 4 uses Link's TP design over the Skyward Sword one.

I think that in this case that doesn't really factor in. It was a GCN game that got ported over to their brand new system for launch, probably wasn't too hard to port over and this is before the original was even released so the game being a big seller wasn't a factor in that decision and it's now getting a remaster as its the next in line after TWW. SS will be a tricky one due to the use of Motion Plus. SS HD for NX? Who knows!

Breads

Banned
Chrono Trigger perhaps
Snes > ps1 > DS

Dragon Quest 3, sort of
Nes > Snes > Gameboy Color

I keep forgetting about Final Fantasy Chronicles.

I think for CT to work it would have to either be on GC or GBA. PS1 to DS leaves a huge gap in between.

did they say anything in regards to motion controls (or lack of?) in the Direct? I borrowed Skyward Sword from a friend recently and tried to play it for the first time and honestly couldn't stand it.
It's based on the GameCube version. This makes sense of course as the Japanese GC version is the latest build they have with the most up-to-date codebase and the least amount of glitches/bugs.

KiraXD

I don't even think the OP cares and if you want to so badly go by what the thread is about then FFX and Halo are awful examples.

yeah FFX is an awful example of a game being released consecutively on 4 generations of platforms (if you include vita) so if were not talking nintendo specific... FFX is EXACTLY a perfect example. why is it an awful example other than its not nintendo?

Oh, well there's Donkey Kong Country, too.

snes_donkey_kong_country_p_9vcoxo.jpg

DKC-GBC-BOXART.jpg

500px-DKC-GBA-BOXART.jpg

Clov

This one may be a bit of a stretch since it's not sequential, but the original Donkey Kong has gone through quite a few retail releases, even though some haven't been on Nintendo platforms! After its arcade release, it had retail versions on the Colecovision, Intellivision, and Atari 2600. After the NES version, it was also sold at retail for the e-Reader and on the GBA as part of the Classic NES Series. It even had a Game and Watch version! This isn't even counting Donkey Kong 64 and Animal Crossing, since they're their own games that just happen to feature the original Donkey Kong.

The first Donkey Kong Country had a few retail versions too; one on the SNES, one on GBC, and one on GBA.

Edit: Looks like my second example was beaten by a second. :p

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not a game but the Kanto region in Pokémon has appeared for 4 generation straight, the trend was broken by the 5th generation.

Excited for it's release.

As much flak as TP gets it is a good Zelda game unlike some other releases afterwards.

I'm looking at you Skyward Sword. Even Phantom Hourglass kicks your arse.

Also where's my Minish Cap remaster?

Kitoro

I really wish there would be a Skyward Sword HD remake. TP is the only console Zelda I've finished since Windwaker, and I really don't want to play Skyward Sword in 480p...

Metal gear solid on playstation 1-3 Im sure will be in some metal gear anthology for ps4 sometime.

MGS wasn't ported to PS2; the collection that included it just had PS1 discs since the PS2 is backwards compatible.
And its inclusion in the PS3 collection was digital.

P.S. I love moving-goalpost threads. Watch that thread title get longer.

qko

I still think the OP's title is still factual. It's a rare occurrence even though 5 or 6 games have been cited.

5 or 6 games out of hundreds and hundreds of games over the years.

Oh true. Maybe not then.

It's too bad. The art would look phenomenal in hd.

I'm sure we'll get a re-release someday, but it'll likely take a lot of work on Nintendo's part.

Or maybe the NX is the glorious return of the Wii remote as the primary controller (I doubt this, unfortunately).

Reminds me of Revolution X featuring Aerosmith. That game was the missing link between console formats and generations. Genesis to Saturn.

Platy

SMB was released at retail in every generation besides present gen:

This gen had 2 honorable mentions : Nes Remix Pack and Mario Maker.

Both don't have EXACTLY Super Mario Bros, but the basics are there, specialy in Nes Remix Pack

MGS wasn't ported to PS2; the collection that included it just had PS1 discs since the PS2 is backwards compatible.
And its inclusion in the PS3 collection was digital.

P.S. I love moving-goalpost threads. Watch that thread title get longer.

Nice work didnt know it was digital for ps3.

Top Bottom