• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

-shadow-

Going to watch some more season 2 episodes tomorrow (or technically today) and hopefully can manage to pull most of the season with a friend. I'll have to wait with the new season until next Friday and I'll watch the series finale and FWWM with two friends followed by the new season. Freaking hyped.

fenners

Watching Fire Walk With Me for the first time in a good long while. My wife insists she's seen it, but I don't know how/where... Should be a fun ride ahead of tomorrow evening!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just finished season 2 on Tuesday and watched Fire Walk With Me last night. I just need to watch The Missing Pieces tonight and then I'll be all caught up! I can't wait to see what Lynch and Frost have in store for us this time :)

Broseybrose

I am thrilled! Thrilled!!!

Words cannot convey the level of excitement this event brings forth within me!

FANTASTIC OP BTW!

I shouldn't have delayed my rewatch by a day. I'm trying to read The Secret History of Twin Peaks in a day and a half (which is totally doable, just inconvenient to my schedule).

It's super good though, and is setting up the new season really well. Glad I'm doing so before the debut at any rate.

I shouldn't have delayed my rewatch by a day. I'm trying to read The Secret History of Twin Peaks in a day and a half (which is totally doable, just inconvenient to my schedule).

It's super good though, and is setting up the new season really well. Glad I'm doing so before the debut at any rate.

Ha!!! I'm doing the exact same thing today. This middle part is going in a very lame direction though. The beginning was stunning but now it's leaning on the wackest aspect of TP mythology.

Ha!!! I'm doing the exact same thing today. This middle part is going in a very lame direction though. The beginning was stunning but now it's leaning on the wackest aspect of TP mythology.
The UFO stuff? Because yeah that was one part I hoped would be ignored from the show. Hopefully it's just something like an interpretation of events being colored by the UFO frenzy of the time, or something like that.

While we wait, anyone got any specific menus or get togethers planned for the return tomorrow? I'll be flying solo (gf working) and hoping to all that's holy the children that usually play outside my apartment aren't their normal loud selves. Got a cherry pie ready to go in the fridge with some vanilla ice cream, no specific beverages on tap though as of yet. Contemplating getting one of the Snoqualmie ones, this one seems fitting:

Label-Snip.jpg

Been playing this atari-style flash game Black Lodge 2600, it's tough but the mood is spot on and the chiptunes are done pretty well (the Sycamore Trees intro is great). Link to dl, in-browser play below, see how long you can evade your doppelganger!

http://jack.worlord.com/blacklodge2600/

Over 5000 score playthrough

carda114

I just took it as Mark Frost's own take on the mythology and so on, and Lynch probably isn't as invested in the same sort of stuff. After all, he apparently never read "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" or "'Diane...' The Twin Peaks Tapes of Dale Cooper." Not necessarily completely divorced from the events of the upcoming season, but probably not tightly continuous with it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
- Yahoo: ‘Twin Peaks' Season 3: A Spoiler-Free Report From the Premiere

They say it's spoiler-free but there are some slightly spoilery details below, so read at your own risk. Though they are rather vague and got me more excited personally.

I did read these, part of me thinks maybe I shouldn't. It's nothing big but it does spoil several minor things.

I will say this: It got me a lot more excited, and seems one of my guesses about the new season was completely right.
That the new season won't just be a third season of Twin Peaks, but have DNA of all of David Lynch's works over it. I knew him getting actors from other things he's done and some things have have been sent really meant this is David Lynch revisiting his whole career in a completely new way, not just Twin Peaks. Happy to hear there's some very Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, and Eraserhead stuff in the new season though.

This is the non-spoiler bit for those who don't want to read anything, but he says this: "Based on the first two hours, it's safe to say Twin Peaks‘ 18 new episodes will rattle, baffle, and enrage, and that's exactly what TV needs right now."

(going through the topic right now from a few pages back, so expect to see some old replies from me.)

Kemal86

I know that in the US, Parts 3 and 4 will be streaming online after Part 2 finishes airing.

Will I be able to stream Parts 1 and 2 at any time tomorrow night after the official air time?

Part 1 starts at 8pm in my time zone, but I won't be able to start watching until about 845.

Basically, can I go on showtime.com at 845 and start Part 1 from the beginning?

I know that in the US, Parts 3 and 4 will be streaming online after Part 2 finishes airing.

Will I be able to stream Parts 1 and 2 at any time tomorrow night after the official air time?

Part 1 starts at 8pm in my time zone, but I won't be able to start watching until about 845.

Basically, can I go on showtime.com at 845 and start Part 1 from the beginning?

Considering you can view the east coast streams on showtimeanytime.com I'd be surprised if it wasn't available for everyone on demand at 9pm ET (on the website at least).

Dusk Golem

Holy moly less than 24 hours until it starts. I'm nervous.

It's so cloooose. It'll be fun yet strange to both watch these but the discussion afterward for the next few weeks until part 5 releases (I'm planning to binge the four episodes).

PSY・S;237527529 said:
guess i gotta dodge actual spoiler talk now

If it means anything, the spoilers are not really spoilers, BUT they are more than nothing so if you want to go in blind as a bat, don't read it. It answers a few tonal things and has two small but interesting tidbits, and also confirms something about the opening.

Dusk Golem

Inland Empire is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

I know a lot of people hate Inland Empire, but I love it. Here's a post I made on IE in the last Twin Peaks topic:

I like Inland Empire. It's not my favorite Lynch film but I really did enjoy it. I think it's Lynch's darkest and least grounded work... So of course a popular impression of many on Lynch's films is people don't understand the films and the like, but most of Lynch's films have a pretty solid and easily understandable groundwork (IE, Twin Peaks is about a murder in a small town with an fbi agent investigating it, Mulholland Drive has a woman coming to Hollywood to try to become an actress and ends up staying with another woman, Lost Highway has a musician at his home who begins to receive strange video tapes and experience strange occurrences, etc.). The two exceptions to the rule are Eraserhead and Inland Empire. And though some people would probably crucify me for this comparison, I think that Inland empire is the film closest to Eraserhead that Lynch made after Eraserhead. Not only in that the two of them have the loosest grounding out of any Lynch film, but I feel that both follow a 'nightmare logic' stronger than any of his other films, both use old or odd recording methods (Eraserhead in black and white, Inland Empire in digital camera), and some other things.

Inland Empire is in some ways repulsive, and I think what made so many people hate it is the movie doesn't really have a good first gripping point to suck you in or make you get your footing, and the repulsiveness might push those away and recoil in a way that makes them hate the film. However, in my opinion there's a lot of genius in Inland Empire. I think it might be Lynch's most complex film, it's a bit hard to bat away at as so much happens, it's his longest film, but also it has so many story threads and if you miss details (as almost everyone will especially on their first watch) it can become increasingly hard to even understand what's going on.

But I think the film has a special grimey atmosphere that feels and encapsulates that 'gross' feeling, the film travels through all different sorts of 'repulsive' elements of society. I don't think it's coincidence our lead starts off in the rich high life at the start and as the film goes on seems to regress her into slummier parts of society. She goes to a suburb home, and then to a decaying home with an abusive husband, then to a whore house, and then to the streets, as a super paraphrase. During all of this there's weird implications, blink and you miss it details,

I think Inland empire is the most nightmarish Lynch had ever gotten, it's the film that basically best captured that repulsive beauty that he has obsessed over in his films since the beginning, the weird artistry of innocent mashed with the seediness of our world, It is Lynch's most fractured film and his grimiest, And I feel like it's the movie that Lynch toyed around the most with the audience... As in, the whole set-up of the movie is a movie being made within the movie but there's something 'inside' the movie that has made this script become an urban legend that shouldn't be repeated. And then when they try to film it, things get strange, maybe the strangest Lynch has ever gotten. But in the strangeness he plays with conventions, he uses a lot of techniques through the film from noir to horror to dramas, camera techniques, audio techniques, effects, dialogue, and set-up but completely twists the knife and adverts what audiences are used to seeing, he takes a lot of imagery that any regular film goer may begin to recognize but then goes in such an off direction.

It felt to me like Lynch unbounded, like this is a weird comparison but it reminds me of the Spanish/French film, "Un Chien Andalou". That film was made to be repulsive and to sicken audiences, and some did hate it but others ended up loving it. I feel like Lynch made Inland Empire in a similar way, both out of disdain and out of love, to both celebrate and tear apart Hollywood and its films, and to fight back against being grounded, and in doing so makes a film I don't think anyone could say is quite like any other, even his other works don't quite get as far out there or nightmarish at times as Inland Empire, in my opinion.

I love it, but I can see why others did not.

Airola

Yeah, it was very disappointing.

However, there is a small hint in the book that it's not actually quite what it appears to be.

It is actually hinted that the UFO and alien stuff isn't real in the sense we generally know it.

But it was still quite a slog to go through that big portion of a book making us think
the basic UFO and "gray alien" stuff is real in the world of Twin Peaks. To me, that is the most boring form of science fiction there is.

Spoilers on how it's hinted at:
1. The alien encounter at Area 54 or wherever the hell it was had the alien disappear for a small moment hinting that there is something else going on.

2. Near the end someone says he believes that stuff is not physical, and it really it's all energy based stuff. Which I interpret as actual UFOs not existing at all in the sense that they are physical technological things that have been created by biological physical aliens, but it all is just about the images these forces take which some can see, and for some reason these forces have at some point appeared to some as things that look like UFOs and the basic aliens.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Can't believe this is happening tomorrow. I just got the 7 day free trial through Amazon.

Inland Empire is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

I need to just freaking watch Inland Empire. It's crazy how scary David Lynch's stuff can be. The killer reveal in Twin Peaks actually scared me and it's very hard for shows and TV to do that to me. Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet both have scary scenes as well, same with FWWM. I remember feeling incredibly uneasy when
Bobby kills that guy and Laura just keeps laughing because she's so high
. Not sure if that was even supposed to be scary but it was to me for some reason.

Sorry for the unrelated question, but does Hulu still have all of Seinfeld? I was going to use my remaining 2 free months of Showtime on Vue, and when that's up get the free month of Showtime with Hulu, was hoping to use the Hulu to watch Seinfeld as well since it's been a few years

They do! I would still have Hulu if they didn't lose CW shows. :(

Fisty

Sorry for the unrelated question, but does Hulu still have all of Seinfeld? I was going to use my remaining 2 free months of Showtime on Vue, and when that's up get the free month of Showtime with Hulu, was hoping to use the Hulu to watch Seinfeld as well since it's been a few years

Yeah Hulu still has all episodes of Seinfeld

While we wait, anyone got any specific menus or get togethers planned for the return tomorrow? I'll be flying solo (gf working) and hoping to all that's holy the children that usually play outside my apartment aren't their normal loud selves. Got a cherry pie ready to go in the fridge with some vanilla ice cream, no specific beverages on tap though as of yet. Contemplating getting one of the Snoqualmie ones, this one seems fitting:

Not sure what I'll be drinking, but it's gonna be in this glass.

IMG_7197.jpg

IMG_7199.jpg

Since the hype thread was just locked, I'm posting my thoughts on Fire Walk With Me.

Great, now I hate Twin Peaks.

Mostly joking, but I'm very polarized. The best parts were the mythology/surrealism (Bob, the conference room, the white mask kid, etc.) and I thought Laura's death was very well done. In typical Lynch fashion, it creates more questions than answers but it focuses on the most important questions. But MAN, this movie is full of character assassination, at best character exaggeration. I knew going into it it would be dark and focus on the dark side of the characters but it was too much! The brothel scene was hard to watch knowing Donna (and she attempted to show some reluctance but went with it), and GOD DAMN this movie for what it did to Bobby. He's as bad as Leo -
a fucking murderer! And Mike's death or his guilt are never brought up again.
Of course Laura was what I expected, but the sex stuff was overemphasized - does Lynch understand that they're teenagers? The few characters I grew to appreciate were James and, yes I'm serious, Leland. I'm positive now he's not exactly the same as Bob but a Hydeian case of insanity/possession. He shows genuine emotion for Laura but knows that Bob is trapped in him. Then, there's too little Cooper, but his interactions with Laura and the Black Lodge are very interesting. The Teresa Bank storyline went nowhere - it's the same shit as Laura but a year earlier, and they completely disregard it 33% through the movie. And why is David Bowie's part so popular? He's in exactly one scene and that scene was very confusing [I believe he has more of a presence in the Missing Pieces cut but it's really jarring]. Lastly, I have no idea how to interpret the ending with the
angel. Was that Annie or Laura next to Dale? Is the angel Laura redeemed?
I feel some regret just for watching the whole movie. I feel sick for how Lynch treated some of the characters after the series was finished and their personalities have been set only for him to reveal that's not their real selves, they're all just twats. I would really wish for a Character Redemption cut without the brothel or Bobby's scenes, I would feel so much better never seeing those again.

3rdman

http://mashable.com/2017/05/20/twin-peaks-premiere-showtime-david-lynch-kyle-maclaughlan-tv/#yOkNzqnfwiq6
But before we dive in, here's what I do feel at liberty to say about those episodes we saw: Lynch has lost nothing. In fact, he's learned some new tricks, refined his old ones, maybe even found the height of his powers. This is no mere revisitation; there is new ground broken. And if you feel goosebumps as you read that, good. That's good.

You're going to need them.

It is happening ... again.
So hyped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom