• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishQ

People have mentioned that what we may have seen last night was the waiting room for the White Lodge................that would mean that the Giant / Fireman is present in both the White Lodge and the Black Lodge..............how do we reconcile this? The one we've seen in the Black Lodge doesn't appear hostile, so probably isn't a doppleganger Giant.............how can he be a good guy and yet be present in both Lodges?

That's why my personal theory is that the Red Room is an outpost within the Black Lodge set up by the Giant and possibly other residents of the White Lodge. The White Lodge folk brought in the curtains and furniture; the Black Lodge's "natural state" is an endless black void.

Among the mindfuckery at display, did anyone notice Lynch asking Diane about her talking to Evil Coop A DAY BEFORE? Or was I just imagining things?

Cole said something about "last night", but it was in reference to that "last night" that Diane spent with Cooper many years ago.

Blader

didn't they mention that Dougie was "manufactured" like 6 years ago or so? The local police guys were saying in the one scene they there are no records of him and then he just suddenly appeared 6 years ago.

not sure if 6 is the exact number but it didn't correspond to 25 years ago when Dougie was "manufactured."

The Vegas police say that the earliest records they have of Dougie's existence are from 1997.

Isn't the red room considered to be a "waiting room" between worlds? I think we actually catched a glimpse of the White Lodge in season two when Mayor Briggs was trying to remember when he had been and it was a nature filled Eden-like place.

I don't think that it makes much sense for Laura, Laura's "Angel" and the Giant/Fireman to be around the Black Lodge. So far the red room seems to me like a transition place where spirits meet between our world and the Lodges, as a matter of fact the room over the convenience store looks more like an actual manifestation of the the Black Lodge than anything.

Garjon

Even with the white and black portals, I don't take the white/black distinction as, well, black and white.

Laura is in the black lodge (or was at least), but is filled with pure light. Philip Gerard (or Mike) is clearly helping Dougie Coop from the black lodge.

If the place with the purple ocean is the white lodge, then it is still a dark and threatening place at times as we saw in Part 3.

They may be distinct in many ways, but I don't get the sense they are distinct in a good / evil way. Nor do I get the sense that things can only exist in one or the other.

Or perhaps this is all about balance, and Mr C being out and about isn't something that's supposed to be happening, just as the black lodge inhabitants seemed upset with Bob post whenever it was that Jeffries visited them.

I agree with the final point. I think DoppelCoop broke the rules, creating an imbalance, and the Black Lodge spirits have turned against him. Where did Ray get the gun? How did MIKE give him the ring?

Speaking of which, what is MIKE? He was not in the spew from The Mother in 1945, so could it be possible that he predates the nuclear test that seemingly created the imbalance that led to current events?

Anyone else think it would have been Harry taken into the White Lodge if he was on the show?

Hard to say. I don't think so though. Harry was never as pure of heart as Andy was. So I think it would still have been Andy. He's absolutely the most 'pure' of the Sheriff's office peoples.

Speaking of which, what is MIKE? He was not in the spew from The Mother in 1945, so could it be possible that he predates the nuclear test that seemingly created the imbalance that led to current events?
Afaik all we know is that Mike was seemingly the host of the 'man from anorther place' or 'the arm' (which was in turn a representation of the arm he lacks).

He told Cooper he was similar to Bob in season two and that he was an incarnate spirit, however, both Mike and the arm have helped Laura and Cooper before for unknown reasons despite seemingly being in good terms with Bob simultaneously (Mike gave Laura the owl ring wich prevented Bob's possession yet Bob didn't seem upset with the arm when he came back to the Red Room with Leland at the end of FWWM).

Edit- I might be confused and Mike and the arm may be to different spirits altogether, though 'the arm' seems connected to the arm Mike cut from himself? Quite confusing.

Wouldn't diane recognize Dougie right away as cooper? He wasn't THAT fat.
I know she and her sister have been enstranged for years, but probably not for 25 years.
She would at least be at her sister's wedding

I thought the implication was that she organized the whole thing with Boop, if they've been working together since "that night".

She probably introduced them.

Blader

Afaik all we know is that Mike was seemingly the host of the 'man from anorther place' or 'the arm' (which was in turn a representation of the arm he lacks).

He told Cooper he was similar to Bob in season two and that he was an incarnate spirit, however, both Mike and the arm have helped Laura and Cooper before for unknown reasons despite seemingly being in good terms with Bob simultaneously (Mike gave Laura the owl ring wich prevented Bob's possession yet Bob didn't seem upset with the arm when he came back to the Red Room with Leland at the end of FWWM).

Edit- I might be confused and Mike and the arm may be to different spirits altogether, though the arm seem connected to the arm Mike cut from himself? Quite confusing.

MIKE started out as one spirit. He was a killer like BOB who, unlike BOB, eventually stopped killing. He cut off his arm, which had been tattooed with 'fire walk with me', to figuratively and literally cut out the evil part of him. That evil side took the form of The Man from Another Place, which is why he refers to himself as 'The Arm' and why he tells Cooper that he and MIKE are one in the same.

I'm not sure why The Arm has a doppelganger, since The Arm himself is supposed to be an evil spirit. Maybe The Arm's growing role in helping Cooper and MIKE against BOB meant he was becoming too good in the lodge's eyes, and that produced a more evil doppelganger as a result?

I agree about Mr. C disrupting the order of things by tricking the system. Seeing Lodge entities (mainly MIKE/Phillip Gerard) appear uncertain, or even stressed is alarming. That place always seemed confident, and watching it suddenly become unhinged (literally in some cases, like when the floor shook itself apart) has been massively intriguing.

MIKE started out as one spirit. He was a killer like BOB who, unlike BOB, eventually stopped killing. He cut off his arm, which had been tattooed with 'fire walk with me', to figuratively and literally cut out the evil part of him. That evil side took the form of The Man from Another Place, which is why he refers to himself as 'The Arm' and why he tells Cooper that he and MIKE are one in the same.

I'm not sure why The Arm has a doppelganger, since The Arm himself is supposed to be an evil spirit. Maybe The Arm's growing role in helping Cooper and MIKE against BOB meant he was becoming too good in the lodge's eyes, and that produced a more evil doppelganger as a result?

Yeah, got it. I was looking at the wiki and Mike was possessing this Phillip Michael Gerard when he cut the arm, that's also why the guy was dosing himself in season two as not to let Mike resurface.

About the Doppelgangers, I think everybody has one -period- and they are different manifestations of the self that the Lodge produces. I keep remembering Hawk's tale in season two about the dweller of the threshold that eveyone must face without fear and I think the Doppelganges might be that.

I agree about Mr. C disrupting the order of things by tricking the system. Seeing Lodge entities (mainly MIKE/Phillip Gerard) appear uncertain, or even stressed is alarming. That place always seemed confident, and watching it suddenly become unhinged (literally in some cases, like when the floor shook itself apart) has been massively intriguing.

I love that it's decayed just as much as the world outside it.

This season is so thematically consistent it's fucking mindboggling.

It's possibly the most profound work of art ever created by sentient man.

Decay is the perfect word for it. Such incredible work.

And it all comes back to the immense power of basic human decency, and what happens to the world if you take it away.

I can't overstate how moving it was last night to see possibly the fate of the entire universe come down to one person taking someone else's hand in theirs.

Bless you, Deputy Andy Brennan.

Real Hero

I'm surprised Lynch made his character such a major character just because of the amount of directing he's doing. That is a lot of work

superfly

The dubbing was last night. The guy is credited as voice. I think him going public on it suggests we won't be seeing an up to date jeffries which is a frustrating spoiler if true.

And it all comes back to the immense power of basic human decency, and what happens to the world if you take it away.

I can't overstate how moving it was last night to see possibly the fate of the entire universe come down to one person taking someone else's hand in theirs.

Bless you, Deputy Andy Brennan.

Completely agree. I keep looking at the image of Andy looking up at the ceiling, taking it all in, and can't believe that it's real. To reward the purity of his character by trusting him with such vital information is an incredible resolution for his character.

Blader

What needed dubbing? Bowie actually said that line, and the voice last night sounded exactly like him.

If that was someone else dubbing him and not the actual audio from The Missing Pieces, then that guy has a really bright career in a David Bowie cover band

The dubbing was last night. The guy is credited as voice. I think him going public on it suggests we won't be seeing an up to date jeffries which is a frustrating spoiler if true.

Well, Bowie IS dead. I think a lack of modern Jeffries has been baked into the show for a while now.

I don't get it either. I did see the 'voice' credit though, I've been meaning to bring it up as I couldn't think of any voiceovers.

Was the window cleaner on the credits?

How was Cole able to hear Diana knocking by the way. He seemed to have turned his hearing aid right down.

Same as that other episode with that woman taking ages to leave. Albert gave the faintest of knocks on the door yet Cole heard straight away.

BULLSHIT!

I'm not watching this anymore. It's become far too farcical.

Zach

How was Cole able to hear Diana knocking by the way. He seemed to have turned his hearing aid right down.

Same as that other episode with that woman taking ages to leave. Albert gave the faintest of knocks on the door yet Cole heard straight away.

BULLSHIT!

I'm not watching this anymore. It's become far too farcical.

Nanomachines, son.

Now scram already.

AoM

What needed dubbing? Bowie actually said that line, and the voice last night sounded exactly like him.

If that was someone else dubbing him and not the actual audio from The Missing Pieces, then that guy has a really bright career in a David Bowie cover band

It sounds a little faster than the one in the Missing Pieces.

To be honest I haven't even seen the production picture, but I imagine they were referring to a certain moment in a teaser with Cooper that hasn't appeared, so I was speculating as well.

Anyway, turns out that the smile on Sarah's inner thing was a painting from Lynch from years ago:

1502673715-david-lynch-head-2.jpg
imgur.com/OlNovgfl.jpg
imgur.com/YmfmDiBl.jpg

Edit: dang it, I'm on mobile and can't figure out why my images aren't working

I hope we find out who Judy was.

We're not going to talk about Judy though.

Random thought (Peaks has this effect on me - my brain seems to be constantly combing through each episode and I can't stop it). We didn't see Sarah leave her house. so is it her doppelganger? Is the bar she went to even in Twin Peaks?

amnesiac

Descriptions for the last four episodes have been leaked, I recommend staying away from anything TP related online if you don't want to get spoiled!

We're not going to talk about Judy though.

Random thought (Peaks has this effect on me - my brain seems to be constantly combing through each episode and I can't stop it). We didn't see Sarah leave her house. so is it her doppelganger? Is the bar she went to even in Twin Peaks?

She was out of vodka & bloody mary mix in the last episode. I think its safe to say that she left the house to keep getting her fix. Man, what a drink for Sarah Palmer to be addicted to.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom