• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smidget

Is there a recommended recap video for both seasons and FWWM? Watched them both about a year ago to completion but want a refresher!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
+ Tim Roth, Jim Belushi, Bernice Marlohe, David Dastmalchian, Matthew Lillard, David Koechner, Robert Knepper, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Pierce Gagnon (the kid from Looper, probably one of the best child actor performances I've ever seen)

Insane cast, really going to be interesting to see where they all fit and what their characters will be like.

That kid is totally going to be the new version of this:

5123.jpg

Also, I had no idea that some of this actors were in this, like Berenice Marlohe. I'm kind of expecting her to be some kind of femme fatale, like Monica Belucci, who's also in this.

Is there a recommended recap video for both seasons and FWWM? Watched them both about a year ago to completion but want a refresher!

I liked this one.

It aired in Finland in 1991. I was 8-9 years old.
I have been hoping for a continuation ever since.

However I learned not to expect anything because Lynch so many times said it will absolutely never happen. So the absolute holy grail for me used to be to see the deleted scenes from FWWM and even that seemed to be impossible, but at least it still was something that could even theoretically happen. Season 3 or any other way to officially continue the series wasn't even that much possible.

So basically now I feel like until I've seen the first episode of S3 it is still an impossible thing for me. So far I can only say that I've found the ultimate holy grail by seeing The Missing Pieces. Only after the first episode of S3 has aired I can say the new holy grail exists.

These few years have been quite a thing though...
During these 25+ years I've tried to get my hands on to any official Twin Peaks stuff and I've been happy to read all kinds of fan fiction. It's quite surreal that this is now actually happening.

It is indeed. I remember the mystique behind the deleted scenes, read the shooting script front to back. Was legit surprised when Lynch decided to release them. When I first finished the series I actually wrote fan fiction before I even knew that was a thing cause I was still so caught up in the world and wanting to feel some sort of resolution and continue the story with those characters.

And I know exactly what you mean about it not being real till that first viewing. I keep thinking to what Lynch said to Catherine Coulson (rip) before filming began, "don't play in traffic". I'm treating this week like some sort of final destination simulator lol.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
And I know exactly what you mean about it not being real till that first viewing. I keep thinking to what Lynch said to Catherine Coulson (rip) before filming began, "don't play in traffic". I'm treating this week like some sort of final destination simulator lol.

Fuck, I'm travelling the day after the first episodes air, and I'm praying nothing funny happens to me on the way, so I'm totally relating. I swear if I die before I get to see the new episodes...

Pachimari

Finished Episode 6. And yes Shelly finally did something about that fool, and Bobby is getting therapy so they might actually become a good couple at some point you say? Let's hope so. I'm curios about what Maddy found in Laura's secret place. And how the One Eyed Jack relates to the murderer, I mean sure Laura worked there, so somebody there might be involved in all of this.

I don't understand, what Josie and Ben were all about though. So Josie knows about Cat faking numbers in that second folder, but what is the purpose of Josie getting to know this? I thought Ben and Cat wanted to buy the sawmill from her, which she would have done if she had thought the sawmill was bad business anyway. Maybe Benjamin wants Cat out of the deal, so that he can get it to himself, since I have the impression he don't like her, and by revealing this fake accounts book to Josie, she might wanna sell the property to him alone, but then why would she, if the sawmill is doing well.

The log also mentions three guys at the night the murderers happened, I assume it could have been Leo, Jaqcues and this Hank guy who just wanted Leo to take care of this store stuff, but Leo messed up and killed Laura. Dunno. I'm kind of half-asleep at this moment so I'm not thinking super clearly.

3rdman

It's been a bit much lol. Then again I can't imagine the wait for those that saw it in the original run, my intro was a decade plus past that. It feels like an astrological event at this point, and fitting considering the premiere title :p

I saw the last episode live the day it aired while I was in college...it's been a long time coming. :)

Fuck, I'm travelling the day after the first episodes air, and I'm praying nothing funny happens to me on the way, so I'm totally relating. I swear if I die before I get to see the new episodes...

I think it's time we looked into bunkers :p

I saw the last episode live the day it aired while I was in college...it's been a long time coming. :)

Damn, this must be extra surreal/special for you then. Can't imagine the impact a show like that at the time must have had on the public consciousness. I mean sure I can in articles but not the experience of being there. I'm a little jealous tbh :)

I don't understand, what Josie and Ben were all about though. So Josie knows about Cat faking numbers in that second folder, but what is the purpose of Josie getting to know this? I thought Ben and Cat wanted to buy the sawmill from her, which she would have done if she had thought the sawmill was bad business anyway. Maybe Benjamin wants Cat out of the deal, so that he can get it to himself, since I have the impression he don't like her, and by revealing this fake accounts book to Josie, she might wanna sell the property to him alone, but then why would she, if the sawmill is doing well.

Honestly, don't try to make sense of the mill plot. I'm pretty sure it doesn't make sense at all. Just roll with it.
The log also mentions three guys at the night the murderers happened, I assume it could have been Leo, Jaqcues and this Hank guy who just wanted Leo to take care of this store stuff, but Leo messed up and killed Laura. Dunno. I'm kind of half-asleep at this moment so I'm not thinking super clearly.

FWIW, Hank just got out of prison in Episode 4 or 5 so he couldn't have been present the night of Laura's murder.

Pachimari

I'm totally coming around to these goofier moments of Season 1. Like, when they go to Margaret to talk with the log itself, and I can't stop smiling. I get the whole spiritualism thing but them being FBI/police officers just makes it a fun moment to progress the story, and it's all the better for it. Or this moment where Leland starts dancing at this Icelandic event and you can't stop laughing at what is going on but in the back of your mind you know why, and feels for this character. What a poor lad.

I hope to see Audrey, Donna, Shelley, James and who knows, maybe even Maddy in the new season. Unless something happens to them in Season 2.

FWIW, Hank just got out of prison in Episode 4 or 5 so he couldn't have been present the night of Laura's murder.

Oh yeah, that happened in Episode 5.

Who's the lady with the log?

We call her the log lady.

So close now. I was working nights when Twin Peaks originally aired, so I'd tape it on this busted ass Betamax vcr and then watch epsiodes when I got home from work at 2 or 3am. The scary eps were amazing in that tired, early morning state of mind.

Damn, this must be extra surreal/special for you then. Can't imagine the impact a show like that at the time must have had on the public consciousness. I mean sure I can in articles but not the experience of being there. I'm a little jealous tbh :)

Yeah I watched it live too.

The finale was so frightening there's still parts I haven't seen in 26 years. This weekend I wanted to see if I'd be able to stream the new episodes through the Xfinity app and I saw "Oh shit, Twin Peaks is on right now, let's see if this works!" and OF COURSE it was the finale but I kept it on like "Oh right, I remember this, he sucks out Windom Earle's soul, right, there's Leland in the hallway, he didn't kill anyone, right, there's bad Coop chasing good Coop, right, oh yeah, he catches him at the curtain of course, I re--HOLY FUCK THAT'S BOB'S FACE WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM HOLY SHIT"

Literally felt like I was going to have a heart attack.

Jesus. I am not ready for these new episodes. It's been 26 years and I. Am. Not. Ready.

Maligna

Banned
I'm totally coming around to these goofier moments of Season 1. Like, when they go to Margaret to talk with the log itself, and I can't stop smiling. I get the whole spiritualism thing but them being FBI/police officers just makes it a fun moment to progress the story, and it's all the better for it. Or this moment where Leland starts dancing at this Icelandic event and you can't stop laughing at what is going on but in the back of your mind you know why, and feels for this character. What a poor lad.

I hope to see Audrey, Donna, Shelley, James and who knows, maybe even Maddy in the new season. Unless something happens to them in Season 2.

Oh yeah, that happened in Episode 5.

I imagine you don't plan to finish your first watch of the series and movie before season 3 starts this Sunday, do you? Gone have to cram if yes

This is pretty cool, potentially coded easter egg found within the Frost book The Secret History of Twin Peaks. Spoilers for end of season 2 related:

Back in October, Mark Frost unleashed the intriguing novel “The Secret History of Twin Peaks” as an insight into the mythology and conspiracies tied to our favorite little town. Written in the form of a dossier, the novel is a collection of journal entries, testimonies, and case files all to be analyzed by the mysterious Special Agent Tamara Preston. Like many Twin Peaks fans, I digested the book in a matter of hours, combing the pages for any new information about the fate of Special Agent Dale Cooper. At first glance, there seemed to be almost no new information. But upon further inspection, a secret revelation on pages 236-237 almost knocked me out of my chair…

The two-page spread shows a picture of a “special shelf” at the Bookhouse library, with the favorite members’ books on display. Each of the eleven books is labeled with a number, matching the book to its owner. There was something very strange about this picture. For one, why dedicate two whole pages to show off some books? Secondly, the use of numbers above the books felt like a classic cipher to a secret coded message. And finally, notes about the books included phrases like “Much can be learned in unexpected places” and “Good literature is a mirror through which we see ourselves more clearly.” Alarm bells were going off…

So, I did what any good Bookhouse Boy would do; I held the picture up to a mirror. And looking back at me was the secret to the code, clear as day. I had been wondering why Mark Frost chose to use the Roman numeral “I” instead of the number “1” throughout the novel, and I finally had an answer why. When reflected in a mirror, the Roman numeral “I” reverses perfectly, while the number “1” does not. The only number that does reverse perfectly is “8.” Therefore, book I, book 8, and book II all stand out from the other books, because only these three look uniform in the mirror. Now it was time to decode the message…

When using the first word of each book title, a frightening warning is revealed:

I. Fear and Loathing: on the Campaign Trail ‘72
8. The Warren Commission Report
II. Double Indemnity

“Fear The Double.”

Whoa. Talk about some serious goosebumps. Major Briggs is the archivist of the dossier (as the novel reveals), and I believe that he coded this message to warn Special Agent Tamara Preston about the evil “double” Cooper. Maybe Preston will notice that Cooper is always avoiding his “double” in mirrors (to hide Bob)? Perhaps Preston will dream of Cooper trapped in the Lodge, and realize that the other Cooper is an evil doppelganger? Since book 8 (the only symmetrical regular number) belongs to Cooper, maybe the full warning is even clearer:

“Fear the Double – Cooper.”

Would post pic at the link but know spoiler tagged images don't work on mobile (unless they fixed this).

Curious who may be playing Preston if she's in the new season. My guess is potentially Madeline Zima from the last trailer.

Pachimari

I imagine you don't plan to finish your first watch of the series and movie before season 3 starts this Sunday, do you? Gone have to cram if yes
I am aiming for it, it to at least have seen it all before the second episode of the new season. I don't know how much there is to Missing Pieces though, haven't really checked it out.

Yeah I watched it live too.

The finale was so frightening there's still parts I haven't seen in 26 years. This weekend I wanted to see if I'd be able to stream the new episodes through the Xfinity app and I saw "Oh shit, Twin Peaks is on right now, let's see if this works!" and OF COURSE it was the finale but I kept it on like "Oh right, I remember this, he sucks out Windom Earle's soul, right, there's Leland in the hallway, he didn't kill anyone, right, there's bad Coop chasing good Coop, right, oh yeah, he catches him at the curtain of course, I re--HOLY FUCK THAT'S BOB'S FACE WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM HOLY SHIT"

Literally felt like I was going to have a heart attack.

Jesus. I am not ready for these new episodes. It's been 26 years and I. Am. Not. Ready.

I rewatched episode 29 probably more than I have Star Wars, it's simply amazing television. I'm so curious how they're going to handle effects work for the Red Room and Lodge scenes this go around, and how much larger in scope our understanding of them will grow.

Interesting, well, that's probably her then!

Hmm, there's also this from the article you linked:

”I don't even know what it's about! I only know the scenes I was in. But it's almost like meditation, in a way,"

I know everybody is probably fed this line to say to press except Kyle (who's supposedly the only actor that had full script access), but still you'd think if she was that character she'd have a decent idea of the overall arc. Ofc we don't even know if Preston is a character in the new season.

Somewhat related, I may have to stay off the internet once the premiere happens on Friday (the LA one). I know that contest they had going to win tickets to it mentioned an NDA but I don't expect shit to stay under lock and key at that point especially if non-cast and crew are invited.

edit:

Parts 5-8 have taglines now

As we all know, the first two hours will air on May 21st, with parts 3 and 4 immediately available on-demand for those who can't get enough. If you need some time to digest the two-part premiere, 3 and 4 will also air back-to-back on May 28th.

Today, the next four installments were given descriptions. Although meager —some are just two words long— it's enough to capture your imagination anyhow.

Part 5: Case files.
Part 6: Don't die.
Part 7: There's a body all right.
Part 8: Gotta light?

These parts air respectively June 4, 11, 18, and 25.

Will we see the first body, wrapped in plastic, in Part 7 or earlier? And whose quote is that? Who's the smoker in part 8? Your thoughts?

Waiting week to week after the four episode bonanza is gonna be torture.

.JayZii

Banned
Vague theory with spoilers for the Secret History book warning.

Since there were various conspicuous changes –notably Annie was written out of existence– in the dossier, is it possible it was somehow written in order to throw the fake Cooper off in some way? I'm sure hardcore people have discussed these things to death since October, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the changes in this thread.

PolishQ

Too expensive for me, but you all might want to jump on this Scott Campbell print.

Since there were various conspicuous changes –notably Annie was written out of existence– in the dossier, is it possible it was somehow written in order to throw the fake Cooper off in some way? I'm sure hardcore people have discussed these things to death since October, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the changes in this thread.

I was thinking more along the lines of a potential "erasure" of Annie via time travel shenanigans, but I like your theory. Hadn't thought of that possibility.

I like this idea, especially in context with the easter egg that's supposed to be a warning to who's reading it. So we really might find out how Annie is doing.

PolishQ

So wait, they are breaking the episodes up and not showing them in succession? I didn't know that

What? The parts are being aired in sequential order.

Oh, maybe you're confused at the use of the word "part" instead of "episode". They're not parts OF episodes. "Part 1" is episode 1, "Part 2" is episode 2, etc.

3rdman

I am aiming for it, it to at least have seen it all before the second episode of the new season. I don't know how much there is to Missing Pieces though, haven't really checked it out.

The missing pieces is not necessary...I do think you have to watch FWWM though as it tells very important parts of the main story and fills in some of the blanks.

The real difficulty for you (I think) will be getting through the rough episodes of S2 (which I'm sure you are well aware of already). Here is my recommendation...when you see characters in clothing they don't normally wear, hit the fast-forward button. When you see James... scream in agony, and then hit the fast-forward button.

3rdman

Yes! DL is my favorite director besides...I was in film school when FWWM came out and I wrote my thesis on Blue Velvet...I'm sooooo very grateful to get 18 more hours of Lynch...that is the real gift here. I really hope it lives up to expectations!

.JayZii

Banned
I was thinking more along the lines of a potential "erasure" of Annie via time travel shenanigans, but I like your theory. Hadn't thought of that possibility.

I like this idea, especially in context with the easter egg that's supposed to be a warning to who's reading it. So we really might find out how Annie is doing.
It's difficult to commit too much to any one theory before seeing how things in the third season are handled in general, given the soft reality of the series. In the abstract, I can see it going any number of directions, but it's hard not to speculate anyway.

Real Hero

There's lots of neat little character stuff in the book, like the writer assuming Pete is probably too slow to be any good at chess, when we the reader know he actually is very good

Yes! DL is my favorite director besides...I was in film school when FWWM came out and I wrote my thesis on Blue Velvet...I'm sooooo very grateful to get 18 more hours of Lynch...that is the real gift here. I really hope it lives up to expectations!

That's a damn fine pick for a thesis :)

Are you in the industry now?

Nice piece by the Guardian on Julee Cruise and Badalamenti

Never knew her voice was the one used in the final mix for Isabella's singing scenes in Velvet. Also this anecdote:

But, as the show aired, he [Badalamenti] began to understand its popularity. Paul McCartney invited him to Abbey Road to record Twin Peaks-inspired material, and told a story about a birthday gig he'd been slated to play for the Queen. Just before Macca took the stage, Her Majesty excused herself, saying: ”I'm sorry, Mr McCartney, but have you seen the time? I must go upstairs and watch Twin Peaks."

lol

smisk

Have to ask you guys, any characters in the new season you're excited to see again even with the 25-years later aging? Any omissions you're going to miss? I'm interested in some character discussion before the new season starts.

I'm in the middle of Sn. 2 so don't spoil anything for me, but I wish Josie was coming back. She's not necessarily an amazing character, but I still like her and Asian women with short hair are extremely hot.
I just watched the episode where Truman says he loves her as he's leaving.

Blader

This is pretty cool, potentially coded easter egg found within the Frost book The Secret History of Twin Peaks. Spoilers for end of season 2 related:

Would post pic at the link but know spoiler tagged images don't work on mobile (unless they fixed this).

Curious who may be playing Preston if she's in the new season. My guess is potentially Madeline Zima from the last trailer.

I was thinking Laura Dern, given that she said she had a lot of scenes with Kyle.

Somebody asked on the last page I think which character is everyone most excited to see again... and it's such a boring answer, but I'm far and away the most excited to see Cooper and what's going to happen with him and what he (and his doppelganger) are like. And I've only had to live with that cliffhanger for a little over a month! Can't imagine what the hype must be like for those of you who watched this show years ago.

I wept when I saw spy shots of the RR exterior with the neon RR sign illuminated. I wept when I saw the first official photographs. I wept at the first new footage. I wept listening to the Johnny Jewel album.

As far as living with the cliff hanger... man... that was a lot rougher when we didn't know it was going to be resolved, than it's been the last couple of years when we knew the show was coming back, for me at least.

Finished Episode 6. And yes Shelly finally did something about that fool, and Bobby is getting therapy so they might actually become a good couple at some point you say? Let's hope so. I'm curios about what Maddy found in Laura's secret place. And how the One Eyed Jack relates to the murderer, I mean sure Laura worked there, so somebody there might be involved in all of this.

To be fair to Shelly in S1,
she shoots Leo just a few days after he hits her for what's *presumably* the first time. In the pilot she doesn't take him seriously when he's all 'WASH THE FLOOR BITCH' until he rough handles her, and she seems genuinely shocked... so I've always taken Shelly as extremely proactive and far from the battered housewife trope.

She spends a day or two in shock. Processes it. Buys a gun. Shoots him. All in the space of like, five days.

Shelly's a badass in my eyes.

.JayZii

Banned
Shelly's a badass in my eyes.
Shelly is one of my favorite characters. She feels well rounded and real to me in a way that a lot of other characters don't. Probably because she's not really personally swept up in the strange aura of Laura affecting the town.

I'm curious to see where she is after 25 years.

Fisty

Shelly is one of my favorite characters. She feels well rounded and real to me in a way that a lot of other characters don't. Probably because she's not really personally swept up in the strange aura of Laura affecting the town.

I'm curious to see where she is after 25 years.

It's too bad she's brick stupid, because she was really damn cute and had an amazing grin

Plum

I could be rewatching everything in glorious HD right now but I'm stuck here doing late-night revision for exams. Don't have my PS4 with me so I can't even slack off and watch it. To make it even worse I'm going to have to avoid spoilers as I'm coming back more than a week after the first episodes air. Enjoy the start of the new series without me, GAF.

Rewatching the missing pieces tonite.

And with that, my rewatch will finally come to an end.

After that, I just have to wait til Sunday...

Flipyap

Charm goes a long way in Twin Peaks.
Yeah, it does, Bobby's sleazeball clown charm nearly turned her life into an even bigger nightmare.
And it took two of her would-be killers to save her from it. Good lord, Shelly.
I didn't know that a character who gets pushed around by Bobby Briggs could possibly be considered "badass," but here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom