• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Features in Shadow of War are Lootbox Only

nynt9

Wait, there's a defense force for locking important features behind online only lootboxes now?

Oh gaf

Nah, we're just dunking on an OP that was formed reactionarily and based on a misinformed premise. OP edited the post later on and tried to act like they were angry about something else all along, but the thread backfired already so there's probably nowhere this thread can go now.

unrealist

It seems that the term lootbox is used negatively in nearly every thread/post. If it can be bought with in-game currency, I think it's still alright.

If I buy a piece of weapon or armor from an in-game blacksmith, would the vendor be considered a lootbox?

Aspiring

It seems that the term lootbox is used negatively in nearly every thread/post. If it can be bought with in-game currency, I think it's still alright.

If I buy a piece of weapon or armor from an in-game blacksmith, would the vendor be considered a lootbox?

For me its not if it can be bought with in game currency, but how. Example i have no problems if its a fair system that rewards you for going well and simply playing, with an option to spend money. But if say, they give you those ootions but instead of giving you fair points in game they give you a pultry amount which means endless grinding and farming that takes hours and hours, like a mobile game, than i do. And im sure most are the same.

CSGO also got a lot of gameplay features blocked by
fictitious
paywall, like smoke grenade.

REVOLT

I recognize that lootboxes is a valid issue in this game, apparently getting legendary orc is an issue but let's focus on the important stuff and not overblow the problem.

Wait, there's a defense force for locking important features behind online only lootboxes now?

Oh gaf

These features aren't super important and if we're going to start dragging single-player games for having online features, we've got a huge backlog of games to attack.

Santar

These features aren't super important and if we're going to start dragging single-player games for having online features, we've got a huge backlog of games to attack.

So just because these features aren't super important to you we should just accept that they are locked away behind a arbitrary online requirement?
Of course I have no problem with single player games having online features in the way of say leaderboards, but when they lock away actual gameplay features just for the heck of it that's not okay.
It's like Nintendo locking away the fire flower in Super Mario Bros behind a online service. Sure you could play the game without it but it wouldn't be as fun and there would be no reason to lock it away.

EDIT

I'm well aware you can buy loot boxes with in game currency, that is not my point. This post is about the game locking content away behind loot boxes and a online service (which is by far the worst part).

Then I dont understand your bloody point.

I get that people disagree on the use of microtransaction-based lootboxes, but you can buy them with in game currency. So that's not a problem.

I was ok with Horizon's lootboxes for that reason.

BashNasty

Good, it has a really greedy loot box system. Hopefully they find out that its unacceptable.

It's not a greedy loot box system. There have been multiple reviews and articles stating that, even in the end game "Shadow Wars" section, loot boxes are in no way necessary to make satisfactory progress.

Yes, you can buy loot boxes with real money in Shadow of War if you (for some reason) want to, it's business. However the developers claims that loot boxes did not affect the overall game design are, by all accounts, true.

The loot boxes in Shadow of War are not greedy.

Edit: I totally forgot to mention, I actually have played the game for around 10 hours now and, despite a few minor niggles (that have nothing at all to do with loot boxes), I'm really enjoying it.

Guess what...

A lot of games before Shadow of War have features such as skins and other things locked behind online services and loot boxes.

Get over it.

You earn about 2,000 in-game currency for every hour of play if you’re taking out captains and completing missions. That currency can be used to buy these boxes and these two “features” are some of the most commonly awarded items.

There’s no controversy here.

Aselith

It's not a greedy loot box system. There have been multiple reviews and articles stating that, even in the end game "Shadow Wars" section, loot boxes are in no way necessary to make satisfactory progress.

Yes, you can buy loot boxes with real money in Shadow of War if you (for some reason) want to, it's business. However the developers claims that loot boxes did not affect the overall game design are, by all accounts, true.

The loot boxes in Shadow of War are not greedy.

Edit: I totally forgot to mention, I actually have played the game for around 10 hours now and, despite a few minor niggles (that have nothing at all to do with loot boxes), I'm really enjoying it.

Putting gameplay affecting items in the box is always greedy, no matter how necessary. Hopefully they'll see any failure as a clear message on that.

Putting gameplay affecting items in the box is always greedy, no matter how necessary. Hopefully they'll see any failure as a clear message on that.

Not if you can have those boxes for free by simply playing the game. So the issue is more how it's balanced.
I mean, just try Injustice 2. You'll be drowned under free loot boxes of every types.

mindsale

I've been disenchanting my shitty weapons, I'm earning about 4k silver per hour. Orc boxes are 1500 silver, weapon boxes are 750 silver.

Is there anything else I can spend that currency on?

Someone earlier said save it for the siege portion. Is it just to unlock follower abilities?

I'm on the second Act, when can I use the Orcs I've gotten from boxes?

Yes, it still is.

Not it's not, because the issue for 99.99 % of players is to have the content blocked by a paywall. Loot Boxes are here to stay, like it or not. Like DLC. The issue is how it's implemented.

In some case, you have free huge dlc content thanks to loot boxes like R6:Sieges, and i think it's really great. In other cases, it's bad if progression is stucked and the game became sluggish in order to make you pay, or if it give you an edge over other people in MP games.

I'm playing the game and i don't feel there is a loot boxes is an issue in this game, at all. I heard that it's an issue during the endgame, i'll see when i get there.

Sorian

Banned
Just a quick question - are these features worth caring about?

Not really, the nemesis system is based around orcs coming and going. Even an orc you've had for a long time can betray you under the right circumstances. These features let you customize them and keep them around for a bit longer but the whole point is for more orcs to be generated over time.

Sorian

Banned
Smh at people defending this shit. Yall deserve this rotten industry.

OP kind of buried the thread from the get-go. I'd care more if it hadn't been originally painted as another smear campaign on the loot boxes when those have been proven to be as innocuous as possible. The game is legitimately fun but everyone has huge outrage over these evil loot boxes that, in the end, didn't end up mattering.

BashNasty

I understand the perspective you're coming from, but to me the loot boxes in SoW don't feel greedy because they don't feel predatory. Yes, the game makes you aware of them in menus (though, honestly, I don't think the game ever actually directed me to the loot box page over the course of normal play, like, there weren't any tutorials that took me there that I can recall), and you can certainly buy them if you want to, but there's never any sense that you're getting a lesser game if you don't buy them. Video games are a business and businesses exist to make money, so it's only natural that publishers are going to be looking for additional ways to monetize a product. I'm not saying that people should give publishers a free pass, but I am saying that people should try to look at the larger picture before flying into predictable outrage. Shadow of War has gotten a lot of hate for what is, in the end, a pretty damn mild implementation of a monetization model. Beyond all the hate, what we have is a pretty great game, so I would certainly hate to see it fail. I want to play more of these!

Smh at people defending this shit. Yall deserve this rotten industry.

I've played so, so damn many good games in 2017, and there's still a lot to come. If you truly believe this industry is rotten, I believe it's your perspective that's rotten.

Aselith

Not it's not, because the issue for 99.99 % of players is to have the content blocked by a paywall. Loot Boxes are here to stay, like it or not. Like DLC. The issue is how it's implemented.

In some case, you have free huge dlc content thanks to loot boxes like R6:Sieges, and i think it's really great. In other cases, it's bad if progression is stucked and the game became sluggish in order to make you pay, or if it give you an edge over other people in MP games.

I'm playing the game and i don't feel there is a loot boxes is an issue in this game, at all. I heard that it's an issue during the endgame, i'll see when i get there.

Indeed. Make it cosmetics and its not a problem.

I understand the perspective you're coming from, but to me the loot boxes in SoW don't feel greedy because they don't feel predatory. Yes, the game makes you aware of them in menus (though, honestly, I don't think the game ever actually directed me to the loot box page over the course of normal play, like, there weren't any tutorials that took me there that I can recall), and you can certainly buy them if you want to, but there's never any sense that you're getting a lesser game if you don't buy them. Video games are a business and businesses exist to make money, so it's only natural that publishers are going to be looking for additional ways to monetize a product. I'm not saying that people should give publishers a free pass, but I am saying that people should try to look at the larger picture before flying into predictable outrage. Shadow of War has gotten a lot of hate for what is, in the end, a pretty damn mild implementation of a monetization model. Beyond all the hate, what we have is a pretty great game, so I would certainly hate to see it fail. I want to play more of these!

The thing is that the way he's describing them just mean they are predatory in a different way. If they aren't necessary then you are buying them because you aren't AWARE they are not necessary and that's still predatory.

They are not predatory if they are cosmetics because then you are buying them to make your dude look cool and for no other reason. That's a reasonable exchange of goods.

In this case, you're buying loot boxes because you dun goofed apparently and WB has offered you an item that you don't actually need as a gameplay effecting item. Tricking you into fucking up is exactly as fucked up as selling you something that you must to have.

There simply IS NOT a balance to be found in gameplay effecting blind boxes.

OP kind of buried the thread from the get-go. I'd care more if it hadn't been originally painted as another smear campaign on the loot boxes when those have been proven to be as innocuous as possible. The game is legitimately fun but everyone has huge outrage over these evil loot boxes that, in the end, didn't end up mattering.

Even if it matters or not, why is it bad to bring it up? Lootboxes are not our friends, these corporations just want our cash. So what is wrong with a smear campaign against them?

Not sure why yall are getting mad when the OP is trying to inform people.

If you LOOOVE the game and dont care aboit the inclusion of lootboxes and what it means for the industry in general ( features locked behind online play for a single player game, lootbox f2p shit in a single player game ) then by all means go to the OT and talk about the game.

Op is trying to inform us about some more shitty stuff they ( WB ) didnt inform us about. I want to thank the OP.

Smh at defending lootboxes, online restricted features in a single player game.

I've played so, so damn many good games in 2017, and there's still a lot to come. If you truly believe this industry is rotten, I believe it's your perspective that's rotten.

Not the industry as a whole. The industry side thats filled with this type of shitty practices. As time goes on, every game will start getting lootboxes just like every other game has a season pass now, preorder bonus tied to specific retailers.

Sorian

Banned
Even if it matters or not, why is it bad to bring it up? Lootboxes are not our friends, these corporations just want our cash. So what is wrong with a smear campaign against them?

Not sure why yall are getting mad when the OP is trying to inform people.

If you LOOOVE the game and dont care aboit the inclusion of lootboxes and what it means for the industry in general ( features locked behind online play for a single player game, lootbox f2p shit in a single player game ) then by all means go to the OT and talk about the game.

Op is trying to inform us about some more shitty stuff they ( WB ) didnt inform us about. I want to thank the OP.

Smh at defending lootboxes, online restricted features in a single player game.

They've wanted our cash since the mid 80s. What's your point? They are a convenience/cosmetic option. When they lock actual gameplay altering stuff in a lootbox or make progression grind to a complete standstill to get you to empty your pockets then I'll see an issue.

They've wanted our cash since the mid 80s. What's your point? They are a convenience/cosmetic option. When they lock actual gameplay altering stuff in a lootbox or make progression grind to a complete standstill to get you to empty your pockets then I'll see an issue.

Isnt it a fact that the grind in the end gets pretty bad to get legendary orcs which has a much better chance of dropping from lootboxes?

Give them a finger and they will want your arm.

If we as consumers let them get away with stuff like this, it will dominate gaming in 10 years.

Pretty sure they did it so people who play the cracked version can't access loot boxes. Someone from Monolith said before release that they have a surprise for crackers.

People who are gonna pirate the game will just use cheatengines or whathave you I take it or edit save files.

shimon

People who are gonna pirate the game will just use cheatengines or whathave you I take it or edit save files.

Well yeah but still opening loot boxes and getting stuff that way would probably be more fun for some than sitting around in CE and changing numbers. Oh well.

Sohaim

wait, i can not get these offline? i did not accept their Market/Monitoring ToS so i am locked out of the market and i intend to keep it this way, i hope they patch this.

Top Bottom