• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

two guys attempt to murder VR on stage at PSX

Nzyme32

As opposed to......this demo in the OP? Where was virtually the same thing? You are still moving your hands around with a headset strapped to you and either way you look stupid doing it.

Yep, this would be so terrible for use in VR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB_kBqL-JQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdCDOhD_7aA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1riNYgO-3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX-6vwRCMnI

I would really like to know how having full freedom of control with your hand to interact with things within VR is "shit" and holding a controller in your hand (Thus restricting your fingers and forcing you to keep a clenched hand) makes more sense.

Having to hold a controller will be limiting in vr, you can never interact with objects naturally because of this, you can't open a door by simply grabbing a knob and turning it (since you would drop the controller) among just about any other interact that'd be natural.

You could always have "shells" for people to use (like the Wii did for certain games, IE the steering wheel and other things) that you can use for games where you are meant to be constantly "holding" an object.

But for most games having the ability to use your hands naturally, just as you would in real life it bridges the gap and allows people to simply interact within a game without any barrier or having to learn things , thus opening the door for more people to experience it and enjoy it.

I'm not going to dig up every single talk both Oculus and Valve have done that said this. I'm sure you can sift through them yourself. I trust the developers and engineers working on the issues over us. If it matters, it is the same reason no one is settling on hand tracking tech alone

I haven't tried any yet. Immersion is great but for most people's setups, a lot like Kinect, it's never going to be feasible. A controller option is a must. I am not saying eliminate motion but I think a controller is going to be the primary input for most people.

All of the big 3 VR solutions currently coming out require some sort of external device to keep track of your head in 3D space. A camera system for PSVR and Rift, and the lighthouse projectors for VIVE. These allow the headsets to know not just where you're looking, but when you're tipping your head, leaning or ducking.The various wand controllers compatible with each HMD use the exact same positional tracking technology that each headset requires. So it's my understanding that you either have the capability to use both, or neither.

That's not to say that a controller won't work as an appropriate control scheme for some VR games. It's just not very likely that you'll have a functioning VR setup without the ability to also use the wands. HMDs ARE motion controllers, just more advanced, faster, and way more accurate than anything we've had up to this point in the consumer space.

Stiler

It's counterintuitive, but that's how it works, yes. Basically, it's pretty easy for you to forget you're holding the wand. It's easily gripped, and you do so without really thinking about it. Using the trigger to pick things up and the movement of your trigger finger satisfies that grabbing pathway in your brain, and closing your finger on the wand tells your brain, "Yes, I've got it." There are a lot of pathways being tickled that reinforce the idea that this is really happening.

That's where data gloves fail. Yes, it's nice to have your hands free, but when you do try to interact with a virtual object, you get a very jarring reminder that it's not actually there, as your hand passes effortlessly through it. They're working on bladder-filled gloves that can actually provide resistance and prevent your hand from over-closing, but they're not really ready for prime time yet.

Also, buttons provide additional haptic feedback for the user, and provide a lot more immediacy than gesture based controls.

You could have still had this via using "shells" (like the Wii does for some games), where you hold it with your hands and it give you a sense of holding the object (IE a lightgun for an fps game, or a wheel for a driving game). .

The closest thing I ever got to the sense of that was the old "Force feedback" joysticks like the Microsoft force feedback one, where it actually could apply force to the joystick to make it mimic things happening, it was quite neat and don't know why newer joysticks never went with it. Or why hand held controller (like ps4/xbox one) never thought about applying that to their thumbsticks to apply resistance when the game calls for it.

Maybe int eh future we'll get a good system that can apply a sense of touch with actual resistance as well, that would be the holy grail as far as controllers go.

You could have still had this via using "shells" (like the Wii does for some games), where you hold it with your hands and it give you a sense of holding the object (IE a lighten for an fps game, or a wheel for a driving game). .
Sorry, but if you're just gonna hold a chunk of plastic with your data gloves to provide a sense of realism, then why not just use the wand, which has buttons, is easier to track, and is far easier to pick up and put down when compared to data gloves?

The closest thing I ever got to the sense of that was the old "Force feedback" joysticks like the Microsoft force feedback one, where it actually could apply force to the joystick to make it mimic things happening, it was quite neat and don't know why newer joysticks never went with it. Or why hand held controller (like ps4/xbox one) never thought about applying that to their thumbtacks to apply resistance when the game calls for it.
Oh, jerking the stick around in your hand, like force-feedback on a steering wheel?

Maybe int eh future we'll get a good system that can apply a sense of touch with actual resistance as well, that would be the holy grail as far as controllers go.
cyberlink > all

sono

I'll be purposefully vague here: it's a tremendous challenge to take on in a ridiculously short period of time, given how much the toolset is evolving.

Seriously people, these guys aren't Palmer lucky jumping around in his bare feet. Give them a break.

I think every accepts the tech is challenging, however if Sony expect people to buy it they expect a working product that can be demonstrated. The public dont spend money on things to help some nice company out..

If they werent ready to demo, there would have literally nothing to be lost by pulling the VR demo slot. Right up to this, I thought Sony VR was building a great reputation despite the challenges. This was a real disaster. No idea why they did it.

Nesther

So, why didn't they just demo RIGS? Impressions from that have been extremely positive.

Yeah, this confused me as well. Why rush a 2 week demo instead of just using one of the available experiences that have already been played and tested by people?

Raist

Banned
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/673751735781883904

OHqfxQ9l.jpg

Fuck, that's one flawless 'shop

Stiler

Sorry, but if you're just gonna hold a chunk of plastic with your data gloves to provide a sense of realism, then why not just use the wand, which has buttons, is easier to track, and is far easier to pick up and put down when compared to data gloves?

Oh, jerking the stick around in your hand, like force-feedback on a steering wheel?

cyberlink > all

My point was that you could use a shell when needed (IE for an FPS game) and then not when you don't need it (IE adventure games, platformers, etc) where it would make more sense ot have full control with your hands and fingers.

By forcing a controller you are limiting what you can do with the controls and motion thus the times when you do not need it or it doesn't make sense to have you'll still be stuck with it.

As far as the force feedback goes yes, but it worked for more games outside of say a wheel (IE space games, flight sims, vehicle games).

Because it could put resistance and effects onto the stick that you held it made it feel like you were interacting with things a lot better then the simple "rumble" of modern feedback found in the ps4/xbox controllers.

What was actually the point of the demo? We've already seen PSVR do much more impressive things.
It was to demonstrate how natural networked interaction and motion controls in VR actually are. Even with a bit of latency, the motion controls of both your head and hands feel incredibly natural, and you can do things like play catch with a virtual Frisbee just as naturally as you would in real life. If you think it's crazy a virtual desk can trick you in to thinking it's actually there, wait until you see another person, walking around, talking to you, and throwing shit at you. VR is often decried as anti-social, but in fact it's going to completely revolutionize the way we think about telecommunication. Zuckerberg didn't spend $2B on Oculus just because he's a nerd.

So, why didn't they just demo RIGS? Impressions from that have been extremely positive.
Because that still wouldn't have changed the fact that what they actually ended up demonstrating was the fact that depleted batteries have a very difficult time powering electronics.

My point was that you could use a shell when needed (IE for an FPS game) and then not when you don't need it (IE adventure games, platformers, etc) where it would make more sense to have full control with your hands and fingers.
But you're still forgetting that what makes sense to you is actually totally wrong. While it makes sense to leave your hands free if you need to pick stuff up, in actual fact, it's very easy forget you're holding something, but trying to grab something that doesn't exist is super fucking weird, and automatically makes your brain go, "AAAAHHH! What the fuck is wrong with that vase???" Every. Single. Time.

By forcing a controller you are limiting what you can do with the controls and motion thus the times when you do not need it or it doesn't make sense to have you'll still be stuck with it.
Can you be more specific? What does holding the wand prevent you from doing, exactly? Not from picking stuff up, obviously.

As far as the force feedback goes yes, but it worked for more games outside of say a wheel (IE space games, flight sims, vehicle games).

Because it could put resistance and effects onto the stick that you held it made it feel like you were interacting with things a lot better then the simple "rumble" of modern feedback found in the ps4/xbox controllers.
Ah. Yeah, Sony's wands have rumble motors in them, and I'd be pretty surprised if Valve and Oculus didn't as well. That's another nice thing about the wands, actually; it gives you someplace to put the motors. :)

drotahorror

Sorry if this is common knowledge I'm not up to date on anything VR.

Are the screens in Sony's VR 2 separate screens with the same image or do they form one giant image, like a 1080p TV cut down the middle as opposed to 2 960*1080 TV's showing the same image. Thanks for any response.

i just watched it and felt it wasn't that bad at all, actually has some good basic ideas and mechanics, should make disc golf.

I just think they should do more demos like this and let people walk around and do crazy things in vr is ok. it doesn't fully sell it but its ok

Head.spawn

Lol, was that after the VR demo ? ^^

That was the entire audience like 10 seconds into the VR demo.

"hey, so this doesn't demo well at all.... so, we whipped this thing up in two weeks because we just found out we would be onstage at PSX.. heres a demonstration!"

Sorry if this is common knowledge I'm not up to date on anything VR.

Are the screens in Sony's VR 2 separate screens with the same image or do they form one giant image, like a 1080p TV cut down the middle as opposed to 2 960*1080 TV's showing the same image. Thanks for any response.

It's a single 1080p 120hz OLED screen, but split down the middle to show a slightly different image for each eye.

Top Bottom