• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two hours of Yo-kai Watch 4 pre-launch gameplay

Mista

Banned

Dennouji Reto, the official virtual YouTuber for Level-5, has posted two hours worth of gameplay from Yo-kai Watch 4: We’re Looking Up at the Same Sky on the Reto Channel YouTube channel ahead of the game’s release in Japan later this week.

Yo-kai Watch 4: We’re Looking Up at the Same Skyis due out for Switch on June 20 in Japan.

The only reason I haven’t watched this or AbdallahSmash026’s video on this is I seriously want to go in blind on the game this week. Preloaded on my system and also have a physical copy incoming for my library (and so I can get the ark with the game). But goodness, the temptation to look is soo strong!

Always been interested inthis series butnecer had a 3ds. Finally ill get to play it with switch

Can someone explain what the gameplay loop is and give an idea what the adventure is like/about?

I tried to watch the cartoon but it wasnt too clear and kinda bored me honestly.

It looks like the battling is a ni no kuni / kingdomhearts real time action system.

Last edited:
Always been interested inthis series butnecer had a 3ds. Finally ill get to play it with switch

Can someone explain what the gameplay loop is and give an idea what the adventure is like/about?

I tried to watch the cartoon but it wasnt too clear and kinda bored me honestly.

It looks like the battling is a ni no kuni / kingdomhearts real time action system.

Cartoons were always episodic with no real plotline, so no point basing or trying to get an idea from that (only exception is the Japan only Shadowside series which was plot driven)

You’ve pretty much nailed it in regards to battle style for the upcoming game. Most have been comparing it to Ni no Kuni and Kingdom Hearts which is a improvement imho over the 3ds battle system for the first two games.

In regards to the adventure, well... The first was centered around Keita/Fumiko first getting the watch and an almost episodic approach to learning more about it and the yokai as the game progressed. Second games were like a retelling of that after certain events but then also added the ability to travel between the past and present for its plot. Third game had two protagonists in different parts of the world but with an overarching plot that involved them both.

In this game, protagonists from the different worlds (original Yokai Watch, Yokai Watch Shadowside and the movie Yokai Watch Forever Friends) which are also different time periods, come together to deal with a mutual enemy rising up that threatens the human and yokai realms

Cartoons were always episodic with no real plotline, so no point basing or trying to get an idea from that (only exception is the Japan only Shadowside series which was plot driven)

You’ve pretty much nailed it in regards to battle style for the upcoming game. Most have been comparing it to Ni no Kuni and Kingdom Hearts which is a improvement imho over the 3ds battle system for the first two games.

In regards to the adventure, well... The first was centered around Keita/Fumiko first getting the watch and an almost episodic approach to learning more about it and the yokai as the game progressed. Second games were like a retelling of that after certain events but then also added the ability to travel between the past and present for its plot. Third game had two protagonists in different parts of the world but with an overarching plot that involved them both.

In this game, protagonists from the different worlds (original Yokai Watch, Yokai Watch Shadowside and the movie Yokai Watch Forever Friends) which are also different time periods, come together to deal with a mutual enemy rising up that threatens the human and yokai realms
Oh wow thanks for that write up! I honestly just looked at this series as a pokemon competitor. So was blown away to learn it realtime action. Pretty stoked to see it on switch

Top Bottom