• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two men killed in Tesla 'without driver in seat'

JSoup

Banned
Well I mean in the near future not much will change.
But I do think eventually self driving could be good for big cities. If every car uses auto pilot it should reduce traffic and accidents .

But the current state of it is just the first baby steps.

I'm reminded of the Venus Project by Jacque Fresco (who I hadn't realized had died). That sounds like a book, and perhaps it should have been as well, but the Venus Project was/is about building a city of tomorrow based on freelance creation and resource based economics. There was an animation for one of his ideas in one of the Zeitgeist film, where he postulated about a fully magnetic travel system.

Simply, the center of the city would have a large magnate with controlled polarizations across it's surface, with each controlled area corresponding to a particular route/road through the city. Each car would carry a powerful magnate with the opposite polarization for each route. Select your route, sit back and left controlled physics do the rest. He further proposed this would all but eliminate auto accidences, as each vehicle (and this is fully bull science, but it's really good bull science, would have made a great book) would be outfitted with a magnetic pendulum under the engine. If the pendulum gets too close to the pendulum in other car, it's assumes an accident is imminent and would force a course correction. With enough planning, a course correction for every outcome could be worked out.

Guy was crazy, but he dreamed big.

Last edited:
The line before that says "law enforcement", so I'd assume whoever first wrote the report or the sheriff.

I thought that too, and then maybe thought they meant the driver who could be well know public figure. But yeah it’s probably law enforcement.

Alx

Well I mean in the near future not much will change.
But I do think eventually self driving could be good for big cities. If every car uses auto pilot it should reduce traffic and accidents .

But the current state of it is just the first baby steps.

You kow the saying, "every six months, someone in the Silicon Valley reinvents the bus".
The solution for safe and efficient transportation in big cities have existed for more than a century (bus, metro, trams, bikes and walking), the self driving technology only exists because we want cars to be a part of it when it has no major reason to.

llien

Honestly I do think this tech is worth investing in, but car manufacturers that include them should be forced to put some robust safety features in there to ensure the driver is actually in the seat
At least where I drive, cars even require you to hold your hand on the driving wheel.

The only thing unique about Tesla's "autopilot' tech is how recklessly they are advertising / using it.

I also do not thing that there is any other car manufacturer, that would have gotten away with routinely killing customers with that feature. Musk effect.

llien

9tXk1O1.jpg
I don't see it that way.
If you rewind several years back, when autonomous cars were expected to go mass market around 2020, a number stated that going or less than fully automatic is asking for trouble.

Think of it, what is the point of "self driving" feature, if you are, in fact, supposed to keep an eye on it? If so, why even bother. Even if you sit in the drivers seat, so what, if you are not paying attention (remember that Uber test driver lady?) which humans inevitably do, it doesn't matter where you sit.

Fully autonomous projects have failed to deliver (there are those pesky rare cases which are damn hard to solve, yet it's not safe if you don't address that, unless you are Tesla, who can afford killing customers) despite billions being poured into it and despite AI juggernauts like google trying to pull it off.

At least where I drive, cars even require you to hold your hand on the driving wheel.

The only thing unique about Tesla's "autopilot' tech is how recklessly they are advertising / using it.

I also do not thing that there is any other car manufacturer, that would have gotten away with routinely killing customers with that feature. Musk effect.
Routinely?

Ten_Fold

Only way I’m gonna use autopilot is if I’m going down my street doing 15-20, pulling into my driveway, it’s just too difficult to predict other human drivers.

Cravis

Only way I’m gonna use autopilot is if I’m going down my street doing 15-20, pulling into my driveway, it’s just too difficult to predict other human drivers.
Yep. Like George Carlin said, “think of how stupid the average person island realize half of them are stupider than that.”

I don’t care how smart AI gets I just don’t think we can ever make it dumb enough to anticipate the stupid, irrational, dumbass decisions your average person makes while driving.

Top Bottom