• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two men killed in Tesla 'without driver in seat'

Airola

Lithium batteries can explode and the resulting fire is often far worse than a regular fire.

About a week ago we had a faulty portable bike lamp. My gf bought it and got some batteries. The lamp didn't work and when she took the batteries out she noticed they were really hot.
I tested it too. Put the batteries in, didn't turn the lamp on but waited some maybe 5-10 seconds and I started to notice the batteries get warmer.

We decided to try other batteries to see if it's the batteries' or the lamp's fault.
I put other set of batteries in. Waited a moment, and started to notice them warming again.
I waited a few seconds more and suddenly they were so hot it really hurt to touch. It was like putting a finger on a hot stove!
It was so hot that as a pure pain reaction I threw the lamp on the bed and for a moment was actually afraid the bed would burn, but we managed to get the batteries out and everything ended up fine.

It's insane how much energy even regular batteries hold and how damn HOT they can become. And they can become hot even if the item isn't on!

Last edited:

partime

VQCnxJw.png

GHG

The driver was sat upright in the back seat when this happened? You deserve anything coming your way. In this case, a tree.

It sounds like one person was in the back seat and the other was in the front passenger seat.

The person in the front passenger seat was likely responsible as they would have been the only person in close enough proximity to the drivers seat to be able to spoof the car into activating autopilot without somebody being strapped in to the drivers seat.

nkarafo

Man, whatever the source of energy is, it can always end up in flames and explosions.

I wonder if we will ever discover fireproof energy.

V4skunk

Banned
Batteries are so incredibly dangerous that every human being has one in their pocket without incident.

They’re not almost impossible to recycle. Redwood Materials is recycling 60 tons of lithium batteries per day.
Lithium battery's are 100% dangerous. As soon as the inners of the battery is exposed to air it will burn.
Go research some of the horror stories of exploding vibrators and phones, people have died...
And yes lithium battery's are almost impossible to recycle properly and is very demanding energy wise to do so.

joedan

Ballthyrm

never understand why auto pilot is even legal to start with.

So the idiots can debug it for us. As long as they make the literal sacrifice , i'm okay with it.
Have at it rich people with Tesla.

Make me think of the early days of aviation when it was super dangerous and the rich were lining themselves to board the wooden plane with folding chairs on board

Soodanim

You seriously need a source, dude just look at his twitter feed, and yes this is completely relevant to this discussion without my input.
The incomplete screenshot could have been either because it had no context from a full screenshot or you saying anything, and if it was an old conversation it would meant spending an unknown amount of time scrolling through his reply feed to find the relevant tweet to find what the context was. It was easier to ask you to clarify than to scroll through, given that you knew the answer already.

Tweet links auto-embed, if that helps in future.

First Ryan Dunn. Now these guys.

Self driving cars are a mistake as long as humans are on the road. Combining humans and ai will be stupid in the near future.
We need full minority report cars.

E-Cat

The owner of the car did not purchase FSD, but it had Autopilot, as every Tesla sold has that.
According to Musk, telemetry says AP was not engaged at the time of the crash. Furthermore, the road had no lane markings, meaning AP could not be turned on in that environment.

partime

All in all, I do agree that Tesla needs to enable their interior camera when AP is engaged ASAP.

There's an option in the menu for them to upload the internal camera footage if you get into an accident, but it's optional and should be mandatory, at least in the US. All Tesla models now come with internal cameras I believe, but older Model S & X's (2021 unfortunately) do not have it.

Footage of interior camera:

Tricking Tesla camera, what it sees:

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think this is an unfortunate but inevitable consequence of an emerging technology where kinetic forces and humans are in close proximity.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All in all, I do agree that Tesla needs to enable their interior camera when AP is engaged ASAP.

There's an option in the menu for them to upload the internal camera footage if you get into an accident, but it's optional and should be mandatory, at least in the US. All Tesla models now come with internal cameras I believe, but older Model S & X's (2021 unfortunately) do not have it.

Footage of interior camera:

Not to call out stereotypes, but stereotypes :pie_roffles: 🤭

There is going to be some crazy shit happening around automated driving. Looking for lanes? Wait until people troll with fake lane lines/markers, alter road speed signs or generally just hack into a car or discovery exploitable glitches. It's going to be the wild west, I think you'd have to be nuts to fully trust self driving cars so early on.

Last edited:

GHG

Tesla just released a few more details about this on their earnings call (still ongoing now).

One of the headlines is that the crash happened at just 30mph according to the data they have and they also still believe there was a person in the drivers seat when the accident happened.

Lots of things don't add up about this.

Top Bottom