• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two months left to add credit to the Wii Shop Channel. Final recommendations thread!

In March, we'll no longer be able to add credit to the Wii Shop Channel, which itself will remain open until 2019. And so it's the last chance to consider those WiiWare and Virtual Console titles we passed, or procrastinated, over back in the day.

While WiiWare really did struggle to gain traction, there are quite a few gems on the service, many of which capture the variety of gameplay that their host platform was always designed to bring to the table.

Virtual Console is a bit of an odd one. It gained a lot of momentum in the early days of the system, launching with support for several formats and a few dozen games, and receiving new titles weekly. Even imports via Nintendo's 'Hanabi Festival' events. But then it was clear efforts slowed as the system aged, which also impacted future formats. As such, the Wii accumulated quite a large library of classics, many of which aren't available elsewhere, at least at a reasonable price. One of the system's tricks is being able to output older games at 240i or 240p - great for purists!

What are your WiiWare or Virtual Console recommendations?

I'll start with one: MaBoShi

cover_medium.jpg

This borders on essential in my eyes. It's one of those titles that feels like you're playing with something tactile, which makes sense given developer MindWare's expertise with pinball machines. Eurogamer's review does a great job at explaining its appeal.

CRAIG667

I hope the ball gets rolling in this thread, great work OP.

I never actually bought anything from the virtual console so this could be interesting to me.

Andyliini

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth
As of now, this game has not been rereleased on any other platform. It's classic Castlevania goodness, and lot's of fun. Hopefully the rumour of Rebirth-ports are true, more people should be able to play this game.

Top Bottom