• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Step Verification Is Now Live For US and EU PSN accounts

WITHE1982

Dayum at long long last!

I didn't even wait 'til I got home to sort it. Did it via remote play from the office on my PS4. Works like a charm.

PaulLFC

Okay, I think there's a problem with my main account.

Activated 2FA with no issue on my US account using the same phone number. The UK account just says "An error has occurred" after trying to verify the code. Hmm :(

Melchiah

shouldn't it sign you out from all your consoles? because on my ps4 and ps3 I was still logged in after activating it.

I activated it on the Sony Entertaiment Network website, and signing out of all the devices was optional (but recommended) there. Dunno how it's, if you activate it on the console itself.

They can sell the details to UK-based fraudsters. UK-based fraudster phones up your mobile network and arranges for them to send out a replacement sim.

Not saying this will happen (I'd like to think Sony's encryption is a little better than that), just that it's ignorant to think that a hypothetical hacker's influence is limited to the country they're based in. Afterall, the people fraudulently accessing people's PSN accounts aren't the ones who "hacked" the log in details either.

That would have to be a targeted attack. It moves away from simple widescale account attack to ID fraud.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying there are much lower hanging fruit. It's simply not worth it. That kind of effort is way too much to access a gaming account.

Also I don't know about your network provider but to even start discussing my account with mine I have to give my password and account pin.

Not to mention the fact that if all UK based fraudsters needed was your phone number to get a replacement sim, pretty much anyone with an online resume would be fucked.

Tainted

However, it might be different, if you log out of the system. I have no experience of that, as I always use the rest mode and keep logged in.

If you have auto-signin enabled..you will only be prompted for the 2FA code the first time you login. If you logout of PSN on the console, then you will be prompted for the code the next time you login.

How depressing is it that the announcement of a fairly standard security feature garners as much excitement as an announcement for a new game? :D You'd think Sony announced a fricking Demon's Souls remaster.

Lima

The next guy that makes a hacked PSN account thread will get laughed for being a lazy dumbass. Thanks Sony

blacklotus

What I don't understand is how an I supposed to get access to my account if I lose my phone?

Safeguard codes are sent to your email so you have something to use in that case.
Just save them up somewhere.

Edit: Not the actual codes. A link for you to generate them.

It generates 8 codes, which can only be used once.

You can generate 8 new ones if you need.

Sealtest

I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why my device password wasn't working until I realized each device requires its own password =/

My ps4 never did log me out and ask for a password though.

Rellik

How much of a game changer is this? are accounts essentially 100% safe?

Nothing is 100% safe. If someone directly targeted you, then they can still get in with some social engineering, but if you have this activated, you'll be much safer.

Rellik

I like how when I tried to sign in to my PS3 it sent me an immediate email to my phone telling my I had 2FA activated and I need to generate a password with the link provided.

Damn, don't have a mobile phone so still can't use this.

It's worth buying a cheap throwaway for.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
working perfectly fine here in the UK. just set it up! they really should have had been an option since day 1 of PSN or at least after the 2011 hack. better late than never. the amount of hacked PSN account posts on here was getting me worried.

i wouldn't say anything is completely safe but this will hugely improve the security of your account. like someone already says, i might consider saving my card details so i don't need to keep buying codes to redeem.

Tainted

The general consensus is that SMS authentication is far from safe....but having some form of 2FA is defiantly better than none at all.

I'm in the camp of not storing CC details in the system at all and using prepaid codes (at least until they offer an app based code delivery system)

epmode

FINALLY

All done! Maybe now I'll try to figure out why my PS4 won't accept my PayPal account even though it works on EVERY OTHER WEBSITE IN THE WORLD.

Lima

FINALLY

All done! Maybe now I'll try to figure out why my PS4 won't accept my PayPal account even though it works on EVERY OTHER WEBSITE IN THE WORLD.

Do you use a credit card with your PayPal as the main source to add funds?

The general consensus is that SMS authentication is far from safe....but having some form of 2FA is defiantly better than none at all.

I'm in the camp of not storing CC details in the system at all and using prepaid codes (at least until they offer an app based code delivery system)

Agreed. Would prefer them to incorporate Google's Authenticator app than SMS authentication....maybe that'll happen when PSN price is 100 bucks US.

Carl

Got mine all activated. Also used the online tool to deactivate all consoles assosciated with the account - just to be extra safe

Alucrid

Banned

sure, but in the case of compromising psn accounts to make fraudulent purchases, how many of those people are going to go through the trouble of being able to have your phone provider redirect your messages or obtain a new sim card

Rellik

sure, but in the case of compromising psn accounts to make fraudulent purchases, how many of those people are going to go through the trouble of being able to have your phone provider redirect your messages or obtain a new sim card

Pretty much none.

If someone is directly targeting you that much then you have bigger problems than your PSN account.

test_account

XP-39C²
Also surprised over how quickly it was rolled out when it first started. I thought it would take months before my country would get it.

Agreed. Would prefer them to incorporate Google's Authenticator app than SMS authentication....maybe that'll happen when PSN price is 100 bucks US.
Whats the main difference?

Top Bottom