• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tyler the Creator - Wolf (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
hate to be the guy who says this, but he's going to have a tonne more to say when he hits his 30s. But the game might be entirely different by then.

but is anyone going to be taking him as seriously as they are now when he's in his thirties? If wants to be a viable career musician and not just a burp, he's got to show us that there is going to be something worth looking forward to. This album has glimpses of that future, but like I said, the schtick is gunna get old and he's going to be dragged down with it if he lets it catch up.

naw i think that's really who/what he is. i've never seen anything to indicate he's putting on unless his whole life is putting on.

If it truly isn't an act then lets hope people stick with it, but I don't seeing the OF brand being worth much in the near future.

EDIT
If we ever see OF touring on that Insane Clown Posse tour, then you know I was right.

but is anyone going to be taking him as seriously as they are now when he's in his thirties? If wants to be a viable career musician and not just a burp, he's got to show us that there is going to be something worth looking forward to. This album has glimpses of that future, but like I said, the schtick is gunna get old and he's going to be dragged down with it if he lets it catch up.

If it truly isn't an act then lets hope people stick with it, but I don't seeing the OF brand being worth much in the near future.

I agree wholeheartedly. The angst-ridden angle may only go so far.

At times I have a hard time identifying with OF's stuff, because they're all like a decade younger than I am now. I mean, yeah, I can identify with what's said when I was about seven years younger, but it's more just of a ha-ha identification. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Tyler and his crew have the talent, but time will tell.

I love Bimmer.

That beat.

IFHY and Slater are golden. Mellow tyler is the fucking best.

Domo 23 just smashed rusty. Woah, soo good.

"Look at that article that says my subject matter is wrong
saying I hate gays even though frank is on ten of my songs"

ohhhhh Tylerrrr !!!

Odrion

Banned
~We're making smores by the campfire~
~Camp Flog Gnaw, a great summer~
And then Lætitia Sadier of all people comes in and sings about the transformation of the flame or something.

Some really brilliant stuff on here.

But there's also some pretty dumb stuff too. Oh hey, a song about school shootings and being bullied? Whoooooooooooo (the instrumental on that track is pretty awesome though. The sporadic sirens in the distance is a nice different take on that cliche.)

I've been playing it a lot, but uh, I don't feel like I'm the target demographic.

I'd write more but the Melatonin is kicking in.

Kisaya

Pretty excited. I'm hit and miss with Odd Future but I liked Goblin a lot. Took a while for him to release this so I expect it's going to be great.

So far... I like Domo23 but IFHY is gonna take some time to grow on me :p

Gotta listen to dat stream!

seldead

These are pre wicked beats. I was more into Earl and Frank Ocean usually but digged Bastard and goblin when it was more mellow and the chilled tracks on this have even better production. I like that he said BadBadNotGood were influencing him and would like to think I can hear it more on this.

Also question photoshop people, I not sure it's possible but is there anyway to make the album cover more cover photoable on Facebook? It's fucking hilarious but as a square doesn't look to flash when cropped.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Huge OF fan, I went into this not really expecting anything special. Glad to be wrong.

ant1532

Banned
loving the album. dissapointed by slater, sounded really good at first but it doesn't grow at all. awkward, bimmer, tamale, lone, ifhy, 48, rusty, and trashwang are my favorites right now.

SAWDOFF, I EAT THOSE

also, gem for newcomers.

Friend Zone by tyler

cacophony

I thought Bastard was alright, hated Goblin. i guess this album just isnt my thing. I'm listening to it trying to like it but these songs all run together to me. Like if you asked me what song was which after I listened I would have no clue. I think I liked Bastard cause it had an energy and intensity to it & he was just having fun, with Wolf its just dull production & tyler talking about girls & his daddy issues. even the fun songs are contrived as hell and just annoying.

seldead

I thought Bastard was alright, hated Goblin. i guess this album just isnt my thing. I'm listening to it trying to like it but these songs all run together to me. Like if you asked me what song was which after I listened I would have no clue. I think I liked Bastard cause it had an energy and intensity to it & he was just having fun, with Wolf its just dull production & tyler talking about girls & his daddy issues. even the fun songs are contrived as hell and just annoying.
https://twitter.com/fucktyler/status/317381753889255425

Tyler himself agrees.

really liking the album, 10 times better than Goblin.

edit: glad to hear he doesn't like Goblin either, my faith in him has been restored a little

Camp Lo

Banned
Heard it, I'd say it's better than Goblin and Bastard. Top tracks were Jamba, Domo 23, Pigs (Personal favorite), and Colossus IMO.

I'd give it 8/10, dope shit.

edit: If Em can rape that antsy stuff at his age, Tyler has a bright future ahead of him. Shitting on pop culture will never get old.

Fjordson

All the intense stuff is actually the least interesting side of Tyler to me. At first it piqued my interest, but I sort of got tired of it. All this mellower stuff on Wolf is infinitely more listenable for me. He can be pretty interesting as a producer when he goes that route and he's better here on the mic for the most part than on Goblin, imo.

Goblin was a good album, but some of the production and lyrical content were so damn amateur. He steps up his game in this one.

Yeah Goblin was disappointing to me. Bastard blew me away and Goblin sounded like he was still making music in his basement. He definitely stepped it up.

The only issue I have is that I feeling he's retreading familiar territory with this album, talking about the same things he did on Bastard and Goblin, perhaps with smarter lyrics and better beats, but thematically it's familiar.

I'm interested to see where he goes after this.

Odrion

Banned
Is there anyone else that actually likes Goblin? There's stupid shit like Transylvania but overall it's really passionate, the album was made right in the middle of Odd Future blowing up while Earl was missing, and you can tell that he's just way too confused and anxious about the whole ordeal.
The only issue I have is that I feeling he's retreading familiar territory with this album, talking about the same things he did on Bastard and Goblin, perhaps with smarter lyrics and better beats, but thematically it's familiar.
Well, he does drop the horrorcore shtick.

Kade

If I grew tired of the LOOK HOW OFFENSIVE/RANDOM I AM shtick and have trouble listening to anyone but Earl, should I even bother with this? I saw potential in this guy but he seems to waste it on things I'd probably appreciate more if I was 14. How different/similar is this album to Goblin or Bastard?

If I grew tired of the LOOK HOW OFFENSIVE/RANDOM I AM shtick and have trouble listening to anyone but Earl, should I even bother with this? I saw potential in this guy but he seems to waste it on things I'd probably appreciate more if I was 14. How different/similar is this album to Goblin or Bastard?

No horrorcore at all. Still some randomness to it.

Dereck

I'm interested to see where he goes after this.
What new topics did you expect him to rap about?

The albums not bad. Guess I got to used to the sound of Goblin. I feel like it's almost the same topics as goblin, but not on the same dark sounding production.

Wolf's production sounds a lot lighter and more thought out than the more simple beats on Goblin.

There's a lot of random tracks I feel shouldn't be there..but knowing Tyler's personality, it's the most he likes to make most..like the song Tamale.

He's gotten better at making music in general I feel.

For me right now it's Goblin > Bastard > Wolf.

The intro/outro on Bastard is what got me into his music. Intro/outro of Goblin kept me listening. Intro/outro of Wolf didn't live up to either of those. I guess since he's already made it, and is rich it's harder to make the same music you used to before you got all the money and fame.

Favorite songs on the album:
Answer
Colossus
Rusty
IFHY
Pigs
Bimmer
Cowboy

The album will probably gradually grow on me after time like Bastard did.

Inglorious Bastard.
Golden Goblin
Lone Wolf

Love the album as a whole plays great if you listen to it all in one sitting. Production values are top notch from Tyler, too bad the lyrics are hit in miss in most songs (besides Lone and Ifhy the lyrics are amazing in those tracks). And there isn't really a stand out single but I wasn't expecting that. Also those beats are beautiful. Props to Tyler

Ran rp

I'm of two minds about Tyler these days. I really don't care for the aggressive Odd Future shit. I know that's their thing, but songs like Trashwang are pure garbage to me.

On the other hand, when Tyler gets into his Pharrell/N.E.R.D. mode and is more mellow he can be pretty nice. Love the production on songs like Colossus, Lone, Treehome95, etc.

Yup, this is how I feel about Tyler/OF.

-GJ-

I guess a lot of you guys aren't getting the story he's telling. WOLF is a prequel to BASTARD and GOBLIN. WOLF is about a guy named Wolf who's going to a summer camp and meets a guy named Sam who has a girlfriend who's name is Salem. Wolf falls in love with Salem and Sam doesn't like that so Tyler eventually kills him etc etc. In the end of WOLF he starts the therapy session with Dr. TC, who we hear on BASTARD and GOBLIN. He still needs to make a third and final album to the BASTARD trilogy, which will be due in 2015 (according to an old post on his Formspring).

So far it's WOLF - Sam (is Dead) - BASTARD - GOBLIN, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an album between WOLF and BASTARD as well to fleshen out the story a little bit. That's also why this album is about a lot of the same themes and subjects. It's all part of the same story.

Dereck

I guess a lot of you guys aren't getting the story he's telling. WOLF is a prequel to BASTARD and GOBLIN. WOLF is about a guy named Wolf who's going to a summer camp and meets a guy named Sam who has a girlfriend who's name is Salem. Wolf falls in love with Salem and Sam doesn't like that so Tyler eventually kills him etc etc. In the end of WOLF he starts the therapy session with Dr. TC, who we hear on BASTARD and GOBLIN. He still needs to make a third and final album to the BASTARD trilogy, which will be due in 2015 (according to an old post on his Formspring).

So far it's WOLF - Sam (is Dead) - BASTARD - GOBLIN, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an album between WOLF and BASTARD as well to fleshen out the story a little bit. That's also why this album is about a lot of the same themes and subjects. It's all part of the same story.
I'm going to assume this post is factual, followed by a thank you.

-GJ-

I'm going to assume this post is factual, followed by a thank you.

There's a discussion going on about the story and the timeline over at OddFutureTalk, so you might want to check that out for more details, but I'm just trying to cover the basics here, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom