• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Typical food in non typical countries.

Hi!

Yesterday I was watchin at TV a National geographic documentary about Aruba (that I didn´t know that was a Country so sorry If somebody here is from Aruba). Anyway, I check a typical food from there called "Keshi yena".

Is like scrambled chicken with vegetables, which is covered entirely in gouda cheese... sounds and looks delicious.
a0LJVXc.jpg

Well now I have hungry...

So I would like to people share here typical food from non typical countries, you know, countries that people normally not visit in their vacances.
Unfortunatelly I didn´t travel for any of these countries so I can´t share real experiences but would be awesome if some of you share real experiences about food from other countries (non typical) here. It would be as still watching National Geographic but in NeoGAF haha.

EDIT: I guess here will be not too much people who trip to those countries so It would be interesting if any of us share onlyu typical dishes that know that exist on those countries.

Last edited:

odhin

When I go out for dinner, I choose a lot of times chinese restaurants. I really like (some of) their dishes.

Please no dog jokes :messenger_downcast_sweat:

odhin

In my country chinesse food is more typical than my country food mate.

Well, its quite common in mine country aswell. At least you have a lot of choice and ofcourse its not exactly "typical" as in if you actually would go to China and dine there.

But still, those chop sueys are great!

Last edited:

Makariel

So I would like to people share here typical food from non typical countries, you know, countries that people normally not visit in their vacances.
With so many nice places to visit, I wouldn't normally go to Germany on vacation, so I'll start with that:

Pommes Schranke

c662cd4a-d810-40b3-94bb-0ff12f30b32e_x365.jpg

Fries with ketchup and mayo, often coming with Currywurst, which is a spiced sausage.

It's named after this:

schranke-drehschranke-mit-alu-schrankenbaum-zum-einbetonieren-4113-15vb-vExJzd7CbOftPr_600x600.jpg

A "Schranke" in German.

Aussie meat pies. I can’t stop talking about them.

images
With so many nice places to visit, I wouldn't normally go to Germany on vacation, so I'll start with that:

Pommes Schranke

c662cd4a-d810-40b3-94bb-0ff12f30b32e_x365.jpg

Fries with ketchup and mayo, often coming with Currywurst, which is a spiced sausage.

It's named after this:

schranke-drehschranke-mit-alu-schrankenbaum-zum-einbetonieren-4113-15vb-vExJzd7CbOftPr_600x600.jpg

A "Schranke" in German.
But all of this food is super typical from many countries.

Fries with sauces are selled everywhere.

And which is the original country of the meat cake?

Om the other hand in my country I can find food from everywhere, like USA,UK, France, Italy, China, Russia, Vietnam, Cuba,... but what about food from countries as:

Algeria, Azerbayan, abrbados, Belarus, Bosnia, Bostwana, Burkina Faso, Chad, Djbouti, East Timor, Fiji, Gabon, Guyana, Iran, Israel, Kuwait, Liberia, ...

There are dozens of countries that is really difficult to taste its food in our countries or is not typical to travel over there and tast their typical meals.

EDIT: Where is the typical meal at Sri Lanka !!?

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Fruit dumplings from Czech Republic, our national food. Probably the best sweet food I know and I have been around.

Fruit-Dumplings.jpg

Last edited:

Makariel

But all of this food is super typical from many countries.

Fries with sauces are selled everywhere.
The whole issues is what you consider "countries that no one would typically travel", and that's a really short list apart from active war zones.

The just above mentioned sweet dumplings are quite common in many European countries for example, since these dishes originate from times before the counties were formed that are there now. Food doesn't care much about borders in Europe.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Aussie meat pies. I can’t stop talking about them.

images

These are just meat pies.
The same as pretty much all over the world.

Heck I come from Zambia south central africa and this is how we make our meat pies. Most likely brought to us from the brits but thats a meat pie.
Sause and all.

Top Bottom