• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite foreign foods that most don't know about.

Durien

clarky

Gold Member
Fish Amok.

Basically Cambodian fish curry. Delicious.

S72W54o.png
BjzRe8V.png

Blade2.0

Cevapcici with onion(I prefer fried in oil) and ajvar(I prefer hot and not bitter).

cevapi.jpg

And with somun bread on the side, I prefer it too having been lightly fried in oil to get it warm and crispy!

How-To-Make-Balkan-Somun-Bread-25-768x423.jpg

I'm from Scandinavia, but I'm ever thankful for my Bosnian boss who introduced me to the dish. It's one of the tastiest meals I know.
Oh man, this looks amazing. You got a good recipe for it?
I make these a few times a year. So fucking good. The consommé is liquid gold.
Those look amazing as well and also...recipe please!
Mazegohan

Note: My wife customized this for me and I didn't eat it with remotely that amount of veggies so your mileage may vary lol

THHHHIIIIISSSSS is more like what she cooked for me.
These both look amazing and I'm definitely going to make them soon.
Fish Amok.

Basically Cambodian fish curry. Delicious.

S72W54o.png
BjzRe8V.png
Recipe by chance?! And did I tell you all I'm happy I made this thread? 😅😅

clarky

Gold Member

Well worth the effort if you like your cooking. The curry sauce has an almost mousse like texture. I practically lived off it when I was travelling around those parts.

250px-Cooking_Jingzhou_style_guokui.jpg

What the OP posted is one of mine as well.

Another is something called 锅盔 guokui, which is like a flat bread with filling cooked in an oven that looks like a garbage can. In fact I just had one 10mins ago. :)

Last edited:

Blade2.0

250px-Cooking_Jingzhou_style_guokui.jpg

What the OP posted is one of mine as well.

Another is something called 锅盔 guokui, which is like a flat bread with filling cooked in an oven that looks like a garbage can. In fact I just had one 10mins ago. :)
I think I remember trying this. They are good. Where are you staying in China?

JCK75

Birria I love Mexican food but only recently was introduced to this slow cooked super juicy beef dish, usually served as a kind of stew, but my favorite are the birria tacos, they have melted cheese inside and you dip them in a sauce, insanely good.
Py7WpJy.jpg

Birria is one of the first things I made for my girlfriend when we started dating.
had to hunt down some good short rib to do it proper but ... it worked..
she stuck around

Durien

Oh man, this looks amazing. You got a good recipe for it?

Those look amazing as well and also...recipe please!

These both look amazing and I'm definitely going to make them soon.

So apparently the mazegohan is similar but this is the one you cook in the rice cooker:

Takikomi Gohan

She said this is close to the same thing and said she was surprised that the mezegohan recipes were not cooked in the rice cooker. There are 3 ingredients in the Takikomi Gohan:

Meat, minced ginger and rice.

Last edited:

Laieon

It's not technically food, but can I throw an alcoholic beverage in here?

Even within Korea it's not very well known, but man is it absolutely delicious. You can really only find it in Jeonju. If Christmas had a taste, it would be moju.

Durien

Even within Korea it's not very well known, but man is it absolutely delicious. You can really only find it in Jeonju. If Christmas had a taste, it would be moju.
Woah, I'd try it.

Johnny2Bad

Say that like it's a bad thing, fella.

It's not filled, it's an Indian style crepe with tasty dips.
Where do you go where it's not filled? I've been to 3 different Dosa places in my town and the middle 3rd is filled. The ends are for dipping.

Blade2.0

I've had this. Yes. It's great!

Durien

Hmmm, he's right it is hard to describe. It's like a sweet, Milky White wine. That's the best I can do. Lol
I was wondering if it tastes similar to a Nigiri sake. I wonder if I can find a small bottle of it at the local Asian store. Thanks for the info!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Where do you go where it's not filled? I've been to 3 different Dosa places in my town and the middle 3rd is filled. The ends are for dipping.

I've been a to a few places where the filling is separate and you can have as much as you like or have it separately, guess it just depends where you go. That's the beauty of Indian food, so many different ways it's done with subtle differences.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Cevapcici with onion(I prefer fried in oil) and ajvar(I prefer hot and not bitter).

cevapi.jpg

And with somun bread on the side, I prefer it too having been lightly fried in oil to get it warm and crispy!

How-To-Make-Balkan-Somun-Bread-25-768x423.jpg

I'm from Scandinavia, but I'm ever thankful for my Bosnian boss who introduced me to the dish. It's one of the tastiest meals I know.
Its so good that the Bavarian company I work for, regularly has it at the mensa.

Another dish from the Balkans I really love is Croatian Sarma. Meat/rice filled sauerkraut leaves. The OG wrap.
sarma.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny2Bad

I've been a to a few places where the filling is separate and you can have as much as you like or have it separately, guess it just depends where you go. That's the beauty of Indian food, so many different ways it's done with subtle differences.
All this talk of Dosas, I had to go out and have one. I'm presently waiting for my chicken and mixed vegetable Dosa and a mango Lassi. :messenger_savoring:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I love all that Afghan kebob stuff. Those big platters you get rice, salad, a giant hunk of bread and skewers of meat. For about $15+tax CDN you are full! Those double skewer plates can feed two people if you wanted to. Or pig out and do it yourself. Earlier this year I went with my bro's fam and the kids never had this food before. I told them my reco is get the kids the plate on the right (called wazeri or vazeri) and tell them to split it. Perfect amount.

Every plate of food comes with a small spicy salsa (whatever the fuck it is, but think of it like ceviche but with no seafood in it) and a garlic dip (I think). So good. The bread and garlic dip is awesome. You can see it in the middle of the pic. Every place gives this stuff.

The only thing I never understood is how to make the rice. I just googled it now. All restaurants do it such a way it's not just plainly cooked rice. It's a bit brown and tasty so they make it with seasonings of some kind. I found this recipe. Close enough.

9a7ab876-c2c7-427b-8dcb-1895e93c195d.jpeg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's hard not going for pho but sometimes the craving for broken rice ( com tam) with all the fixings is hard to resist. The shredded pork and fish sauce on the rice, chefs kiss.

XO8IWbp.jpg
Thats a good looking plate. I dont eat at Vietnamese places much, and I dont like those big bowls of Pho with meat which looks undercooked(!). LOL. But when I go with friends or coworkers, I stick to a platter of food like yours. I dont know what that cake slice thing is, but I get the platter of rice, salad, egg, grilled chicken, grilled porkchop. Such a good deal at about $17 CDN.

These places always price their dishes oddly. You can order a plate with rice, salad, one grilled chicken cutlet for $15, or order a platter with an extra pork chop cutlet and an egg for $17. Fuck, no brainer to me. I'll give you the extra $2 for so much more food! Mine will look somethng like this:

b78a15f037693ed75ad8736f13bd3c9d.jpg

Coconutt

Thats a good looking plate. I dont eat at Vietnamese places much, and I dont like those big bowls of Pho with meat which looks undercooked(!). LOL. But when I go with friends or coworkers, I stick to a platter of food like yours. I dont know what that cake slice thing is, but I get the platter of rice, salad, egg, grilled chicken, grilled porkchop. Such a good deal at about $17 CDN.

These places always price their dishes oddly. You can order a plate with rice, salad, one grilled chicken cutlet for $15, or order a platter with an extra pork chop cutlet and an egg for $17. Fuck, no brainer to me. I'll give you the extra $2 for so much more food! Mine will look somethng like this:

b78a15f037693ed75ad8736f13bd3c9d.jpg
The cake looking thing is a meatloaf made from eggs and pork, highly recommended.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Chinese dim sum is great too. Although I'm picky when I eat it. This random pic is a good idea of the stuff I'll eat with friends or fam.... dumplings, and fried stuff like spring rolls. Dunk this stuff in soy sauce and a bit of hot sauce while ordering some fried rice and it's so good.

I avoid chicken feet, tripe, those little octopus/squid things and other icky things.

R.605abf540e56fb9a6de37e6b4d74edd3

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Portuguese chicken places are awesome. Chicken, small potatoes are the key. And they always carry a pop named Sumol. Chicken and carbs doesn't sound anything special, but the keys are the chicken is always grilled or oven roasted and the sauce ranges from a hot peri sauce to more mild marinades. This pic below doesn't have the pasty peri sauce you can put on it (or it's cooked with it). I prefer no super hot peri sauce.

Most importantly, portguese food is always dirt cheap. A combo like this with a drink is maybe $15 CDN tops. Skip the drink and get it on deal and it'll be maybe $10.

chickenMeal_t.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont eat Indian food much, but when I do I stick to certain basic meats and carbs I like. Basmati rice and naan bread. And Butter chicken and Tandoori chicken. Also, there's a dark brown curry goat dish which is good too. So I'll slather on the rice the butter chicken or goat sauce. Also works well as a dip for the bread. I only eat goat if I eat this stuff. If you've never had it, its pretty similar to chunks of beef covered in sauce.

Did an image search snapshot which gives an idea what I like.

JsBDwWT.png
R.7f25509967c4cf9bf8f6a2e77a8ea6aa

Last edited:
I dont eat Indian food much, but when I do I stick to certain basic meats and carbs I like. Basmati rice and naan bread. And Butter chicken and Tandoori chicken. Also, there's a dark brown curry goat dish which is good too. So I'll slather on the rice the butter chicken or goat sauce. Also works well as a dip for the bread. I only eat goat if I eat this stuff. If you've never had it, its pretty similar to chunks of beef covered in sauce.

Did an image search snapshot which gives an idea what I like.

Indians amongst us might dislike what I'm about to type but it's how we do it in our Aussie family....mash up

Replace Indian Naan with Thai roti bread, not the Indian variant, the Thai one (seems thinner and you sort of get more "meat'n'rice" in your gob than bread that way). We usually smear some butter and heat in a flat pan/plate so it's crispy on the outside but flexible and folds easily still.

OIP.bfI2TrITFEw6v3p_T0u0-wHaE5

Also if you don't like beef vindaloo I'm not sure we can be friends.

Last edited:

Durien

I went to Hmart looking for Moju and they said they didn't have any and it only sells in Korea. I am now sad that you guys brought up something that sounds so tasty yet it is unavailable ;)

Top Bottom