• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immigrants to other countries, what food would you really like to see grocery stores have?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
When I moved to the US from Canada 20 years ago, I honestly didn't expect that there would be some foods that I wouldn't be able to find.

For the past 20 years, people would ask me what food I miss the most and the answer is always Ginger Beef.

Now, a bit of a back story on Ginger Beef. Growing up, I had always assumed that it was invented in China. All the food court Chinese kiosks would offer it and the high end Chinese restaurants would offer the best Ginger Beef around.

So when I moved to the US, after a couple months I got a hankering for some Ginger Beef and went to a Chinese restaurant with some new friends that I managed to make in my short time in the US. I look at the menu and no Ginger Beef. I ask the waitress if they have it and she looked at me confused. She had never heard of that dish. She went to the back to ask if anyone back there knew what I was talking about.

No one had. The people at the table asked me if I was making things up.

I was distraught. I mean, I knew that Ketchup chips weren't a thing in the US, but no Ginger Beef? That's not a Canadian thing! It's a Chinese thing!

I turns out it is a very Canadian thing. More specifically a very Western Canadian thing. According to legend (meaning a lot of restaurants claim they invented it) Ginger Beef was invented at the Silver Inn in Calgary Alberta.

So for the past 20 years, I resigned myself to not having access to Ginger Beef unless I went back up north to visit family. I honestly thought about bringing it down to the US myself, but after doing some research on restaurants and in general food creation bankruptcies, I decided against it.

Well, today my long wait is over. I found this in a Safeway today as I was stockpiling food for the long weekend with family and friends:

gjQqHE7.jpg

I bought 6 boxes.

I selfishly cooked one box for myself tonight. And while me 20 years ago knows that it's... not great, me today thought it was one of the greatest dishes of Ginger Beef I've ever had.

How about the rest of you GAF? Have you moved to a different country (or hell, a different State/Province) thinking that one of your favorite dishes would be available only for it to turn out differently? Did it eventually show up? Or unlike me, decide to take the plunge and introduce it to your adoptive country?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I do have another story about other foods coming from Canada and eventually finding them in the US!

The first one is Perogies(Those are definitely from a different country). Have you ever had a Perogi? They are one of the most wonderful things. In Canada, I swear I could buy them in kg bags for dirt cheap. They would have meat, potatoes, and some cheese if you wanted to spend some extra. When I moved to the US, it took me a while to find them.

Then I found them. In a box, about 10, and are about 10 times the price.

WHAT. A. RIPOFF.

The first time I found them, I bought 6 boxes.

They could put them in a bag, but who am I judge.

I suppose the next one that I found down here recently are "All Dressed" chips.
As a kid I absolutely love ketchup chips, but before I moved to the US, it was all about the "All Dressed"

About 6 months ago, my local Safeway decided to stock "All Dressed" chips. They flew off the shelves. So much so that they're $6 a bag right now.

So yea, I"m bumping my own thread. But I got to talk about Perogies, Ketchup Chips, and All Dressed chips.

Last edited:
I wish there were Australian meat pies readily available in New York. I'm not Australian but I've had them abroad and they're fucken delightful.

It's a good thing I can cook though because I make them just like how I remember them.

Speaking of perogies, I love them. Potato and cheese perogies with some caramelized onions and a big dalop of sour cream is a good time.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wish there were Australian meat pies readily available in New York. I'm not Australian but I've had them abroad and they're fucken delightful.

It's a good thing I can cook though because I make them just like how I remember them.

Speaking of perogies, I love them. Potato and cheese perogies with some caramelized onions and a big dalop of sour cream is a good time.
Care to share how those meat pies are made? Or is there someone on GAF who can tell us how they're made?

For the ginger beef, I don't know how the sauce is made, but I know that the ginger beef itself is just slices of beef that's rolled in bread and deep fried.

Thank you for sharing!

Care to share how those meat pies are made? Or is there someone on GAF who can tell us how they're made?

For the ginger beef, I don't know how the sauce is made, but I know that the ginger beef itself is just slices of beef that's rolled in bread and deep fried.

Thank you for sharing!
I make them just like this guy does:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
triplestation triplestation Thank you for showing that video. I'm drooling.

Meat Pies are absolutely wonderful. My mum always bought them from Costco. It wasn't her specialty. Hers were perogies, chile, and quiche.

Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom