• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite foreign foods that most don't know about.

Blade2.0

So, I'm not talking about Mongolian beef. Most people know what that is or spaghetti, tacos, etc. I want to know what your favorite food from another country is that doesn't get representation very often. Give the name of the dish and the country of the dish please.

One of them for me is 里脊肉夹馍 Liji rou jia mo. It's basically a spicy chicken sandwich from China with lettuce and a fried pita type bread that is amazing. I found a video for you to be able to make these yourself and you should. Sometimes I still dream about these. I want one right now just thinking about it.

I mean just look at that. 🤤🤤🤤🤤

It tastes as good as it looks, especially if you love spicy sandwiches. I want it right now. Lol

So introduce me to some good, less represented food, please. Name of country and dish's name please.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

So, I'm talking about Mongolian beef. Most people know what that is or spaghetti, tacos, etc. I want to know what your favorite food from another country is that doesn't get representation very often. Give the name of the dish and the name of the dish please.

One of them for me is 里脊肉夹馍 Liji rou jia mo. It's basically a spicy chicken sandwich from China with lettuce and a fried pita type bread that is amazing. I found a video for you to be able to make these yourself and you should. Sometimes I still dream about these. I want one right now just thinking about it.

It tastes as good as it looks, especially if you love spicy sandwiches. I want it right now. Lol

So introduce me to some good, less represented food, please. Name of country and dish's name please.

As my mom used to say, "Oy ya mama mia!"

That does look insanely delicious.

Can't think of anything offhand that I've had that isn't pretty well known these days. I am glad that a lot of these ethnic dishes are becoming more readily available. I did, however, have banh mi sandwiches with my wife not too long ago at a Vietnamese restaurant our kids recommended. The sandwiches were pretty good, but their summer rolls were the real star for me

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Everyone jumps immediately to curry when they think Indian food, but some of the best stuff is lesser known. Puri, Dosa, Uttapam, all that.

pani-puri.jpg
uttapam-recipe-swasthi.jpg
Dosa%20recipe%20via%20Deepla%20Tamang%20Unsplash.jpeg

Indian food is just the bomb.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Everyone jumps immediately to curry when they think Indian food, but some of the best stuff is lesser known. Puri, Dosa, Uttapam, all that.

Dosa%20recipe%20via%20Deepla%20Tamang%20Unsplash.jpeg

Indian food is just the bomb.

looks like 6 sauces and a burrito.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
looks like 6 sauces and a burrito.

Say that like it's a bad thing, fella.

It's not filled, it's an Indian style crepe with tasty dips.

Go_Ly_Dow

Indian cuisine is massive and there are tons of home cooked curries (or sabji as they're known inside the culture) that you don't typically get in most "Indian" restaurants. Specifically I'm talking about the Punjabi kind, which you find in the northern regions, which is less spicy, never uses coconut milk and you can eat it everyday without getting sick of it. It's not rich, not oily and not salty like restaurant Indian foood.

Stuff like, gobi (cauliflower), saag (spinach and broccoli), dal tadka (yellow lentils), pepper paneer, aubergine and many more.

There are still people who don't know what pho is.
Cray. So delicious. I sometimes make chicken pho from scratch at home.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Cray. So delicious. I sometimes make chicken pho from scratch at home.
Do you put any kind of msg or chicken bullion in it?

I recently moved out of pho central (Northern Virginia) and there isn’t any good pho near me.

How does yours compare to restaurant pho?

Go_Ly_Dow

Do you put any kind of msg or chicken bullion in it?

I recently moved out of pho central (Northern Virginia) and there isn’t any good pho near me.

How does yours compare to restaurant pho?
A bit of msg yeah, but no chicken bullion. I boil whole chicken thighs in the broth so that adds the chicken flavour.

Then the garlic, ginger, onion, spices and fish sauce do the rest. Fresh herbs and lime for seasoning.

This essentially.

Chicken pho is more subtle than beef pho which is what restaurants typically serve, so its hard to compare really. Overall beef pho feels more luxury, whilst chicken pho is like a home comfort, if that makes sense lol.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
A bit of msg yeah, but no chicken bullion. I boil whole chicken thighs in the broth so that adds the chicken flavour.

Then the garlic, ginger, onion, spices and fish sauce do the rest. Fresh herbs and lime for seasoning.

This essentially.

Chicken pho is more subtle than beef pho which is what restaurants typically serve, so its hard to compare really. Overall beef pho feels more luxury, whilst chicken pho is like a home comfort, if that makes sense lol.

Do you know how much of a difference not putting msg into it would make?

Go_Ly_Dow

Do you know how much of a difference not putting msg into it would make?

I think with the fish sauce, salt and other flavours releasing from all the components that msg is totally uncessary and it'll be just as delicious without it. I just have a habit of sprinkling a little bit into certain Asian dishes. The fish sauce is essentially liquid msg.

Last edited:

belmarduk

bad36685f77fc471992211c6d160ed9b01cd5e45.jpg

Minke whale in Iceland. It has the perfect texture... just the best medium rare steak you've ever eaten! It's not endangered but it is illegal in most Western countries.

Porcile

Don't know the original name in Chinese but in Japanese it's toshomen (刀削麺) . Noodles cut directly from a block of dough into a usually spicy and delicious soup.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Birria I love Mexican food but only recently was introduced to this slow cooked super juicy beef dish, usually served as a kind of stew, but my favorite are the birria tacos, they have melted cheese inside and you dip them in a sauce, insanely good.
Py7WpJy.jpg
I love Birria but real Birria is traditionally lamb.

gow3isben

Birria I love Mexican food but only recently was introduced to this slow cooked super juicy beef dish, usually served as a kind of stew, but my favorite are the birria tacos, they have melted cheese inside and you dip them in a sauce, insanely good.
Py7WpJy.jpg

Bro OP asks for food people don’t know about lol

Birria was a craze a year or 2 back

badblue

I have a bag of one of my favorite European Candies right next to me.

Salty Licorice.

KATJADROPHARINGEN.jpg

I have no idea how well known it is. I just know that no one I know wants to try any and I never see anyone talking about it.

Durien

My wife loves this Japanese spaghetti type dish called tadako or tarako spaghetti. It is spaghetti in an egg, garlic sauce with fish eggs. Something else she likes to eat on rice are like these super small baby fish. I think they are called chiraisu.

I like this think she cooks in a rice cooker where while she is cooking the rice she is also cooking slices of Inari pouches, chicken cut into small pieces, and veggies. She doesn't make it very often but when she does, it is delicious. It isn't like risotto, it ends up like fried rice in a way. Not sure what it is called though.

Blade2.0

My wife loves this Japanese spaghetti type dish called tadako or tarako spaghetti. It is spaghetti in an egg, garlic sauce with fish eggs. Something else she likes to eat on rice are like these super small baby fish. I think they are called chiraisu.

I like this think she cooks in a rice cooker where while she is cooking the rice she is also cooking slices of Inari pouches, chicken cut into small pieces, and veggies. She doesn't make it very often but when she does, it is delicious. It isn't like risotto, it ends up like fried rice in a way. Not sure what it is called though.
Find out the name of you don't mind because I would love to find a recipe for it.

AV

bad36685f77fc471992211c6d160ed9b01cd5e45.jpg

Minke whale in Iceland. It has the perfect texture... just the best medium rare steak you've ever eaten! It's not endangered but it is illegal in most Western countries.

Good grief that looks good. Might be doing Iceland on our honeymoon next year so I'll have this a few times for sure.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
There are still people who don't know what pho is.
Even goddamn Gandalf knows what pho is.

(shameless cross post from the other thread)

NgmXCp6.jpg

One of my favourite Vietnamese dishes that not many folks tend to know about, is Banh Xeo aka Sizzling Crepes. Usually filled with pork, prawns, sprouts etc.

xwkeocT.png

0muf8Ti.jpg

Last edited:

Tams

So, it's a spicy chicken kebab then?

gow3isben

I think everyone should post where they're from so we can have a frame of reference. Yeah Birria is well know in places with lots of Mexicans try asking for it in Maine though.

The people who don’t know what birria is in Maine also don’t know what chicken tikka or pho is

But asides from them people in Maine absolutely know what it is

Trilobit

Cevapcici with onion(I prefer fried in oil) and ajvar(I prefer hot and not bitter).

cevapi.jpg

And with somun bread on the side, I prefer it too having been lightly fried in oil to get it warm and crispy!

How-To-Make-Balkan-Somun-Bread-25-768x423.jpg

I'm from Scandinavia, but I'm ever thankful for my Bosnian boss who introduced me to the dish. It's one of the tastiest meals I know.

belmarduk

Good grief that looks good. Might be doing Iceland on our honeymoon next year so I'll have this a few times for sure.

Definitely you should. Icelandic food has a bad reputation because it’s very expensive and because of the hakarl. I had whale at the Apotek restaurant in Reykjavik and that place is brilliant.

Top Bottom