• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Typing of The Dead: Overkill (Steam, includes HOTD:Overkill)

It seems anti virus software doesn't like the exe and sees it as a trojan of some kind and removes it. Add the .exe to your exceptions in your anti virus and any other program that deals with viruses and you should be fine. There was also an update to steam for the game yesterday, so that may have sorted it out.

I've already done this unfortunately but thanks for the assistance regardless. The below is exactly what happens, with the exception that a moment after typing "what" a blackscreen appears for roughly two seconds (GifCam has not picked it up) before my status changes from "in-game" to "online" (this is how I have picked up the game time despite having never been able to launch it). DirectX is up to date, as are my drivers.
typeofdeadkcp06.gif

EDUT: Also, opening it directly from the folder has no effect. Also, my mistake, it appears I had misinterpretted your issue as the .exe doesn't become deleted in my case, instead it appears in the task manager for a few moments and then simply vanishes (which is what I mistook as 'deleted'. Oh and here is the Task Manager view if that would be more revealing (again, a black screen appears before it disappears which isn't captured):

typeofdeath9fot9.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit. It includes House of the Dead as well. Now if we could get some lightgun support for PC... man... that genre would be nice to have on the platform.

But anyway the Typing of the Dead portion reminds me of the HotD2/Smilebit port which is fine with me because I'm loving the "THANKS OBAMA," "SUCK ON THIS" lines to type out.

Holy shit. It includes House of the Dead as well. Now if we could get some lightgun support for PC... man... that genre would be nice to have on the platform.

What do you mean, support?

"I wonder if there are any PC light guns? :p"

Pretty much any of the lightguns/motion controllers for (modern) consoles work on PC. Move controllers, wiimotes both work. There's also The Aimtrak and TopgunIII.

So yeah, there are options.

MasterRain

Neo Member
This game is so dumb! I love it! Its not as tight and fast paced as the original TotD BUT the B-movie story means I want to play past the first chapter unlike the original.

L00P

I can't type for shit without looking at the keyboard but I bought it anyway. Maybe this game will help me break that habit plus it has the original

Sora_N

Fun game so far, nice cheesy story I don't have to care about with nice horrible voice acting lol.

Great game to rest my mind a bit from studying honestly.

Manbig

So this game crashes at the same spot, which is every time I try to load up the first mission. I'm rolling with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and rocking a classy (ancient) 8800 GT.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

gblues

Banned
I've already done this unfortunately but thanks for the assistance regardless. The below is exactly what happens, with the exception that a moment after typing "what" a blackscreen appears for roughly two seconds (GifCam has not picked it up) before my status changes from "in-game" to "online" (this is how I have picked up the game time despite having never been able to launch it). DirectX is up to date, as are my drivers.
typeofdeadkcp06.gif

EDUT: Also, opening it directly from the folder has no effect. Also, my mistake, it appears I had misinterpretted your issue as the .exe doesn't become deleted in my case, instead it appears in the task manager for a few moments and then simply vanishes (which is what I mistook as 'deleted'. Oh and here is the Task Manager view if that would be more revealing (again, a black screen appears before it disappears which isn't captured):

typeofdeath9fot9.gif

I had a similar problem with BTTF the other day. You wouldn't happen to be using a DualShock using the XInput wrapper (not MotionInJoy)?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm on windows 8.1 and not having that issue. check how many speakers your PC is set to have. it sounds like you might have it set to 5.1 when you're using stereo speakers.

There's Red Dwarf references too. Thank you UK devs!

I hope it's vindaloo related

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just beat hardcore/motherfucker difficulty. Good fun. I don't feel like playing the HOTD portion, lol. Game seems boring without the typing

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Have you discovered a solution to this? I've been trying for about an hour now and have yet to succeed in launching it (restarting Steam, verifying the integrity of the game cache, trying to end the process, restarting my device; everything short of deleting the local content). Ideally I don't want to delete it as it took numerous hours already to download it; my connection is not very good and I'm hoping to avoid spending seven to ten hours downloading everything a second time.

EDIT: I've reinstalled the game, ran as administrator, enabled compatability mode, verified the game cache again; nothing seems to be working. My problem is that I start the game, a black screen appears for two or three seconds (no logos, no sound) and then I'm back to the desktop. According to Steam I've played around twelve minutes but that's just from repeatedly trying to get it to actually start up.

This was happening to me
I updated my vid card drivers and then it worked.

I bought this even though I don't have a PC capable of playing it. I said I would insta-buy any Digital release of TotD but I never expected an Overkill re-type-make.

RhyDin

I was hoping for a high WPM achievement - too bad there isn't anything..

Glad this was released! Had no idea it was being worked on, installed the old Windows version months ago and it has horrible resolution selection and the netplay wasn't working.

So um. What resolutions options we got? I have 40 minutes until completion of download.

Also, what the heck is new? They call it Overkill, was that a recent HOTD game?

Wookieomg

Oh god. I absolutely LOVED the first Typing of the Dead when I discovered it many years ago. Definitely picking this up!

crozier

Ok, this is REALLY starting to annoy me. Is this a video card issue?

No other game seems to have this particular problem, although I have never been able to get Tomb Raider playable. Using a GTX 670.

That's the old-timey red/green 3D that was in the PS3 version of Overkill. Don't remember anything in the description or options about it being in Typing though so I don't know why you're getting that.

Persona7

Banned

No other game seems to have this particular problem, although I have never been able to get Tomb Raider playable. Using a GTX 670.

You turned on the games anagylph 3D mode.

grab a pair of these guys
Anaglyph_glasses.png

crozier

lol you have 3D on

Seriously, is there an "Anaglyphic" option somewhere in the settings? I'm still downloading the game so I can't check myself. you need to make sure that's off.
Yeah, that was it. I turned off stereoscopic 3D in the NVIDIA control panel and now it's fine. Haha.

Thanks!

Jawmuncher

Any news from Sega even hinting at bringing us the Original Typing of the dead down the line? Asking since this one seems to be doing quite well.

Jaxter09

Whoever came up with the words are brilliant. I also noticed there is an option for DLC dictionaries, should be interesting

TaroYamada

Any news from Sega even hinting at bringing us the Original Typing of the dead down the line? Asking since this one seems to be doing quite well.

I've been harassing them on twitter about a re-release on steam of the first for quite a while, with the success of this one I'm hoping they re-release the PC version on Steam with widescreen support, as well as port TotD 2.

Mr_Zombie

Can someone please explain the last boss battle to me? I somehow won it (after dying like three or four times) but I have no idea what I was supposed to write there. I was writing various sentences related to the word that was bolded, but sometimes I got points (i.e. the boss was getting damage) and sometimes not.

I had a similar problem with BTTF the other day. You wouldn't happen to be using a DualShock using the XInput wrapper (not MotionInJoy)?

Unfortunately not. I've been browsing the forums and it seems like it isn't a solitary case but I'm hoping somebody here would have a better idea as to what would be the best way to fix it.

EDIT:
This was happening to me
I updated my vid card drivers and then it worked.

Just wondering, was it the exact same problem? If so I'll delete all of my drivers and reinstall them because they are already up to date, so I just want to make sure it's the same thing before I go about reinstalling them.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Unfortunately not. I've been browsing the forums and it seems like it isn't a solitary case but I'm hoping somebody here would have a better idea as to what would be the best way to fix it.

EDIT:

Just wondering, was it the exact same problem? If so I'll delete all of my drivers and reinstall them because they are already up to date, so I just want to make sure it's the same thing before I go about reinstalling them.
Launch game, several seconds of black screen, back to desktop. Sometimes no error, sometimes something like "app is already running". Wrestled with it for hours, tried verifying game cache, running as administrator, disabling anti virus software, rebooting for every test. For me, updating the drivers fixed the problem

Also, what the heck is new? They call it Overkill, was that a recent HOTD game?

Overkill was the last HOTD game, released originally on Wii and ported to PS3 with HD graphics and extra chapter (the one with strippers); this is based on the latter, also adding the typing mode.

Launch game, several seconds of black screen, back to desktop. Sometimes no error, sometimes something like "app is already running". Wrestled with it for hours, tried verifying game cache, running as administrator, disabling anti virus software, rebooting for every test. For me, updating the drivers fixed the problem

Thank you! I have no idea what the problem was initially but uninstalling, and reinstalling all of the drivers has worked. Perfect. Many thanks to you.

I played through the first level of this and it's pretty funny. The words they use in certain situations made me lol. Maybe i just have a fart joke kind of humor but I'd recommend the game as a good typing game and also very funny game. Also it's got a grindhouse style of over the top-ness which I love and wasn't expecting.

smr00

Banned
As someone who has never played a Typing of the Dead but is a huge fan of silly grindhouse films is this a must at $10? Or wait for inevitable $3-5 sale.

Bii

As someone who has never played a Typing of the Dead but is a huge fan of silly grindhouse films is this a must at $10? Or wait for inevitable $3-5 sale.

I would say yes, buy now.

If, however, you have games to play and can wait for the winter sale, you might be able to snag it for $7.50 or $10 again. Not sure if it'll really go down to $5 until the spring/summer sales.

Tizoc

Yes, and besides this game is worth the $10 you get it for.

Top Bottom