• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. moves to impose tariffs of as much as 219 percent on Canadian jetliners

Was Trump president then?
Did I say they thought it at the time of the referendum? No. But they think it now. When the UK has to fight the rest of the world for trade rights they've since come to the conclusion that Trump, buddy of Farage, would be easy. After all Trump praised Brexit. So it made sense that once he was in he'd be a trade ally. Well, like I said, that is a fantasy. The US will always do what it can to protect it's own interests wherever possible, as many countries do. There is no 'special relationship' with Trumps US.

Would this mean it will be even more expensive to fly within Canada? Its already ridiculous

No. That more has to do with us not subsidizing our own airliners enough money to cover how large the country is, mixed with our low population size which eat into potential consumer base. So the costs have to be passed down to consumers.

This has to do with the Manufacturing of Airplanes and the USA being protectionist to the detriment of everybody.

I work in healthcare in Quebec which is in a constant crisis because of the liberal governments senseless cuts in the name of austerity. At the same time they give Bombardier (a private company) a billion fucking taxpayers dollars with no strings attached (very big headlines about execs giving themselves raises and multi million dollar bonuses)

I'm in the fuck Bombardier camp

My niece is a nurse at an hospital in Quebec. She's in her mid 20s. She has bought a huge house and paid the mortgage down in 3 years. This year she's travelling while on "long-term disability". She says Fuck it. Everybody's doing it.

Some austerity.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Did anyone impose Tarrifs on Chevy and Ford during the auto bails outs? lol

what an asshole.

Exactly

Imagine if Canada put a similar 220% tariff on American cars after their bailout, American cars would be dead in the water here.

Pretty much all experts agree that Boeing has nothing to stand on in this dispute because they don't have a similar product, the Commerce Department's ruling is moronic on all accounts.

sikkinixx

My niece is a nurse at an hospital in Quebec. She's in her mid 20s. She has bought a huge house and paid the mortgage down in 3 years. This year she's travelling while on "long-term disability". She says Fuck it. Everybody's doing it.

Some austerity.

The true problem with this world is that attitude.

I wanna say Fuck the USA because... well yeah... but Bombardier seems like a poorly ass managed company too.

I work in healthcare in Quebec which is in a constant crisis because of the liberal governments senseless cuts in the name of austerity. At the same time they give Bombardier (a private company) a billion fucking taxpayers dollars with no strings attached (very big headlines about execs giving themselves raises and multi million dollar bonuses)

I'm in the fuck Bombardier camp

I won't deny that it was scummy for the execs to give themselves raises right after getting bailed out but still tons of people and lives destroyed if they go under.

As for your comment regarding healthcare being in a state of "constant crisis" didn't quebec just recieve a 2.5 Billion dollar money injection? not to mention that quebec is also looking to add 2000 new jobs for nursing

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Maybe a desperation move, but perhaps as an attempt to avoid some of these tarifs -

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bombar...r-cseries-jet-business-sources-say-1508191355

TORONTO—In a major retreat for Canada’s flagship transportation company, Bombardier Inc. said Monday it had agreed to a joint venture with Airbus SE for its most important commercial-jet business in the wake of a crippling tariff ruling by the U.S. and sluggish sales for the aircraft.

The companies said Airbus would acquire a 50.01% stake in Bombardier Inc.’s CSeries jets. Airbus CEO Tom Enders said the company was not investing any money upfront for its majority stake, but it will provide ongoing funding support.

When the partnership deal closes, Bombardier will be left with a 31% stake in the CSeries, a major concession following the company’s billions of dollars of investment and decade-long development an aircraft line, meant to strengthen its position in the global aerospace sector.

The proposed deal would intensify competition between the Airbus and Boeing Co. and potentially inflame a trade dispute between the U.S. and Canada over alleged state subsidies to Bombardier by having some Canadian-developed jets assembled on American soil. The commerce department’s preliminary decision to hit Bombardier with tariffs that would quadruple the price of a CSeries aircraft in the U.S. came after Boeing complained of predatory pricing.

Control given to airbus for no cash and no debt, damn.

Well it's time for Leader of the Free World give orange turd a good beating. Trump only understands the language of violence.

BTW, Xi wisely chatted Trump up in his shitty villa in the FL summit and China didn't get any tariff.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This is what the federal government gave $370 billion for. A series of planes that won't even be built in Canada now.

Screw Bombardier and everyone at that company.

I guess Delta figured something like this would happen:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/delt...be-delayed-but-not-killed-by-duties-1.3627564

MONTREAL -- Delta Air Lines says its deliveries of Bombardier CSeries aircraft may be delayed next year but that ultimately it won't be forced to pay the 300 per cent preliminary duties recently announced by the U.S. Commerce Department.

"We're not going to be forced to pay tariffs or anything of the ilk," CEO Ed Bastian said Wednesday during a conference call about its third-quarter results.

He said the U.S. government's decision is disappointing and doesn't make a lot of sense, but that it's still early in the process, which is triggering lots of political debate.

"We intend to take the aircraft," he told analysts. "I can't tell you how this is going to eventually work out. There may be a delay in us taking the aircraft as we work through the issues with Bombardier, who is being a great partner in this."

This is what the federal government gave $370 billion for. A series of planes that won't even be built in Canada now.

In an interview Airbus said that they plan to buy the rest of the shares in 2023. They want to own 100%. I guess until then Bombardiers stock price will increase so the canadian government might make some money after all.

"Gave" a loan and bought stock.

Edit: Also just noticed you're off by a factor of 1000, hah.

any Conservative Canadian who supports Trump seriously needs to look himself in the mirror.

who am I kidding, they are already a lost cause

Ac30

Maybe a desperation move, but perhaps as an attempt to avoid some of these tarifs -

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bombar...r-cseries-jet-business-sources-say-1508191355
Control given to airbus for no cash and no debt, damn.

Boeing solved the problem by allowing a massive foreign conglomerate (and main rival) with far more resources and an American manufacturing plant to gain a controlling share in a plane model it would rather not compete with. Seems to me they played themselves?

Also Airbus added a brand new airliner to its portfolio with 0 R&D costs, whew

Boeing solved the problem by allowing a massive foreign conglomerate (and main rival) with far more resources and an American manufacturing plant to gain a controlling share in a plane model it would rather not compete with. Seems to me they played themselves?

Also Airbus added a brand new airliner to its portfolio with 0 R&D costs, whew

Thats pretty much what happened. Plus they lost probably 10+ billion in Canadian fighter jet deal.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Unsurprisingly, Boeing is not happy about this deal: Boeing Slams ‘Questionable’ Airbus Deal

All I have to say is that you reap what you sow. Boeing could have left well enough alone, but thanks to their selfish decisions, they gave Airbus a massive victory. I expect C Series orders to increase quite a bit after this deal.

Top Bottom